King Michael and the late Queen Anne current events

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you didn't read my previous post about princess Elena's behaviour toward her son. It explains why Elena can't be seen as a neutral person when it comes to the former romanian crown prince.

Nicholas was never "Crown Prince": he was third in line under his grandfather's proposed succession. What mother is a "neutral person" when it comes to her children? I do not see how Elena's preference for continuing to bring up her young child (and his even younger sister) in the UK (where he was settled and near his father's family) rather than in a very unstable (at that time) Romania compromises her in any way. Every parent decides where to bring up his/her children.

HRH expresses her concern at the deeds of her son, pointing out that his behaviour lacks humanity (with repect to his alleged daughter, to the child's mother, and to his grandfather) and morality (with respect to assuming his responsibilities to clarify the parentage of the child). She expresses how devastating this is for her as a mother and any parent who has watched his/her child go off the rails can surely relate to that feeling. She also quite firmly asserts that it is her conviction that her father's wishes are not to see his grandson. Either she's lying or she's telling the truth; Are you suggesting that she's put out a public statement based on a lie?

Last edited:
Nicholas was never "Crown Prince": he was third in line under his grandfather's proposed succession. What mother is a "neutral person" when it comes to her children? I do not see how Elena's preference for continuing to bring up her young child (and his even younger sister) in the UK (where he was settled and near his father's family) rather than in a very unstable (at that time) Romania compromises her in any way. Every parent decides where to bring up his/her children.

HRH expresses her concern at the deeds of her son, pointing out that his behaviour lacks humanity (with repect to his alleged daughter, to the child's mother, and to his grandfather) and morality (with respect to assuming his responsibilities to clarify the parentage of the child). She expresses how devastating this is for her as a mother and any parent who has watched his/her child go off the rails can surely relate to that feeling. She also quite firmly asserts that it is her conviction that her father's wishes are not to see his grandson. Either she's lying or she's telling the truth; Are you suggesting that she's put out a public statement based on a lie?

What I am saying is that I can't trust her public statement since I have learned she sued her own son for inheritance matters where he still was minor. It was stated by people close to her and her family when it happened, so I am taking her words about Nicholas's lack of humanity with more with a pinch a salt, as, according to trustable people, her own behaviour in the past lacked so much of humanity. Moreover, although I don't praise Nicholas for his behaviour with Iris Anna's mother, I can't help thinking some immoral misconducts (related to money, e.g.) are more easily forgiven that some others (the sexual ones). The "discretion above all" motto can lead to blatant hypocrisy, and it is quite shocking to me.

What I am saying is that I can't trust her public statement since I have learned she sued her own son for inheritance matters where he still was minor. [...].

When Nicholas was a minor, his mother was his legal representative, as every parent is for an own child (in a normal situation). I think it is impossible that a mother sues her own underaged son: she would be sueing herself...

Imagine you have an underaged child. I think it is impossible for you to start a lawsuit against your own underaged child, as you have the parental authority over and the legal responsibility for the child.

Last edited:
When Nicholas was a minor, his mother was his legal representative, legally responsible for her underaged son. I think it is impossible that a mother sues her own underaged son: she would be sueing herself...

Roxana Iordache, a journalist who was at the time close to the royal family, wrote this very telling piece about Elena and Nicholas's relationship after Elena's divorce : "she wanted all the money, not to take care of her son. Nicholas was just a scared child when his parents divorced and he was sent off to boarding schools". She added some edifying comments on her Facebook profile about Elena's statement : the princess released the statement out of fear her sister and her would be dishonored. She is not a concerned mother, just someone fearing for her position, her influence or her money.

When Nicholas was a minor, his mother was his legal representative, as every parent is for an own child (in a normal situation). I think it is impossible that a mother sues her own underaged son: she would be sueing herself...

Imagine you have an underaged child. I think it is impossible for you to start a lawsuit against your own underaged child, as you have the parental authority over and the legal responsibility for the child.

Of course it is possible. Obviously Robin Medforth-Mills left money to Nicholas after his and Elena's divorce, probably with a condition that Nicholas would get the money only when he became of age, and that money was taken care by people Robin Medforth-Mills trusted, and among those people wasn't princess Elena. And if Elena wanted that money to herself, she sued her own son.

Of course it is possible. Obviously Robin Medforth-Mills left money to Nicholas after his and Elena's divorce, probably with a condition that Nicholas would get the money only when he became of age, and that money was taken care by people Robin Medforth-Mills trusted, and among those people wasn't princess Elena. And if Elena wanted that money to herself, she sued her own son.

Sounds like the princess contested the estate of her late husband regarding money meant for Son. Anyway, it also seems like a very plausible explanation for the incredulous press release from the Royal House purporting to be from Princess Elena regarding her son. Very sad woman.

What I am saying is that I can't trust her public statement since I have learned she sued her own son for inheritance matters where he still was minor. It was stated by people close to her and her family when it happened, so I am taking her words about Nicholas's lack of humanity with more with a pinch a salt, as, according to trustable people, her own behaviour in the past lacked so much of humanity. Moreover, although I don't praise Nicholas for his behaviour with Iris Anna's mother, I can't help thinking some immoral misconducts (related to money, e.g.) are more easily forgiven that some others (the sexual ones). The "discretion above all" motto can lead to blatant hypocrisy, and it is quite shocking to me.

As far as I can see, no comment has been made by his family on his sexual conduct in the sense of condemning his sexual activity; his mother's statement refers explicitly to his conduct after he (allegedly) had sex, i.e. his failure over the course of the last two years to assume responsibility for the alleged resulting child.

With regard to the journalist's allegations, does she only present her interpretation or does she provide evidence to justify that interpretation? Could you supply a link to her remarks and to a factual report of the court case to help us determine if she's credible or another journalist with an axe to grind or hoping to make money?

As far as I can see, no comment has been made by his family on his sexual conduct in the sense of condemning his sexual activity; his mother's statement refers explicitly to his conduct after he (allegedly) had sex, i.e. his failure over the course of the last two years to assume responsibility for the alleged resulting child.

That is what I call 'sexual activity'. If Nicholas is really the father of his previous girlfriend daughter, I can't praise him for his attitude. However, he is not the only one with a faulty behaviour in this family but he is the only one who is publicly criticized during this mess around his grandfather's health.

With regard to the journalist's allegations, does she only present her interpretation or does she provide evidence to justify that interpretation? Could you supply a link to her remarks and to a factual report of the court case to help us determine if she's credible or another journalist with an axe to grind or hoping to make money?

I provided twice the link to on an article with all her remarks. Everything she wrote is public on her FB account. She is a journalist. If she is running the risk to make such serious assertions in public, she should have serious prove to back it. I read a lot of people knowing this or that related to the romanian royal family as there have once be close to them and none of them have still refuted her assertions.

Today is princess Elena's birthday. Roxana Iordache has twice written today very special birthday wishes : she hopes the princess will enjoy many years of life so that she can repent of her behaviour toward her son and apologize. Quite telling.

[....] Nicholas was just a scared child when his parents divorced and he was sent off to boarding schools". [...]

Sending Nicholas to boarding schools is -in my book- not really "not to take care of her son". It actually fits very well in a royal tradition. The King of the Netherlands went to boarding school in Wales. The Hereditary Grand-Duke of Luxembourg went to boarding school in Switzerland. The King of the Belgians went to a boarding school in Belgium.

Then she did not sue her own son, who was the possible benefactor of his late father. Then she contested the Will of her former husband and father of her children. That is completely different and not at all sueing her own minor son.

Also this is nothing new. When King Willem-Alexander assumed the throne in April 2013, a Regency Act was already issued for the eventuality that the King would pass away with his Heir, Princess Catharina-Amalia being underaged.

The Princess will inherit a gigantic sum from her father, but her mother Princess Máxima will be the Regentess. There will be a Board of Trustees, looking afther the interests of the underaged Queen. Imagine that Princess Máxima is dissatisfied with the financial management by the Board. For an example because she does not receive enough money to fund a lifestyle befitting the high rank and status of the young Queen, or maybe she is of the opinion that the Board makes bad investments at the cost of her daughter's private wealth, then she can start a procedure as well.

This is of all times. This sort of conflicts is not rare in royal or noble families.

Last edited:
Sending Nicholas to boarding schools is -in my book- not really "not to take care of her son". It actually fits very well in a royal tradition. The King of the Netherlands went to boarding school in Wales. The Hereditary Grand-Duke of Luxembourg went to boarding school in Switzerland. The King of the Belgians went to a boarding school in Belgium.

A royal tradition very convenient for all the royal parents who don't want to take care of their children. They look like traditional parents committed to the survival of a royal way of life, whatever the reason why they sent their children in boarding school. Very useful for all the hypocritical noble ones who are only caring about keeping up appearances.

A royal tradition very convenient for all the royal parents who don't want to take care of their children. They look like traditional parents committed to the survival of a royal way of life, whatever the reason why they sent their children in boarding school. Very useful for all the hypocritical noble ones who are only caring about keeping up appearances.

What a nonsenses, come on. I have been to boarding school myself and I do not have the smallest doubt about my parents' love and devotion. Au contraire: I feel they have done the best to send me to such a school indeed, where I learned to have a structure, a certain order and discipline, all this helped me very, very much in my formation and career. There are so many boarding schools, all thanks to hypocrite parents who do not want to take care of their children?

Last edited:
What a nonsenses, come on. I have been to boarding school myself and I do not have the smallest doubt about my parents' love and devotion. Au contraire: I feel they have done the best to send me to such a school indeed, where I learned to have a structure, a certain order and discipline, all this helped me very, very much in my formation and career. There are so many boarding schools, all thanks to hypocrite parents who do not want to take care of their children?

I didn't say all the parents who send their children to boarding schools are hypocrite. What I said some parents use the boarding school possibility as an excuse not to take care of their children while looking like devoted and concerned parents who follow up the traditions of their noble families. I heard about a few nobles families to whom the boarding school tradition was very convenient.

The thread is about King Michael, can we go back to King Michael?

"Press Release from His Majesty King Michael

In the days since the Nov. 6 communiqué, King Michael's general state did not get worse, his Majesty's vital signs being on a steady platform. Doctors have been given a medication to ease sleep and breathing.

However, His Majesty continues to be in a worrying state of health. The sharp fall in physical capacity and communication capacity, as well as the impossibility to move without help, remained at the same level.

King Michael is home-groomed with exceptional competence and with great care of a large medical team. Doctors evaluate the status of His Majesty on a daily basis.

The doctors have reported that, in the current state of His Majesty, the Princess Margareta may return to Romania for the time being to resume her public activities.

Doctors consider it too risky to move King Michael from the private home to the hospital. They are unanimous in recommending that the treatment administered to His Majesty should now focus on preventing suffering and preserving the physical and psychological comfort of the Sovereign.

His Most Holy Metropolitan Joseph of Western Europe was at the residence of Switzerland on several occasions and gave our King our share. His representatives also frequently travel to the royal residence.

Apart from the Marguerite heirloom Princess and Prince Radu , the presence at the private residence in Switzerland will continue to be limited only to the daughters of His Majesty and Metropolitan Joseph (or his envoy).

The staff of His Majesty's House will continue, with dedication and enlightenment, the mission to King Michael I."

Comunicatul Biroului de Presă al Majestății Sale Regelui Mihai | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

This would be in reference to the following events:

Crown Princess Margareta returned to Bucharest two days ago, after the health of King Michael apparently stabilised. The royal household announced that access to the king will continue to be limited to the daughters of the King, the King's son-in law, as well as Metropolitan Iosif of the Roumanian Orthodox Diocese of Western and Southern Europe or his representatives.

Yesterday, in an "emergency procedure," the Romanian Senate passed by a vote of 81-19 the legislation on the Statute on the Royal House of Romania, which will grant a certain kind of recognition to the Royal House in the legal framework of the Romanian Republic. It will grant the Head of the Royal House, as designated under the 2007 Fundamental Rules, a status comparable to a former head of state. The Elisabeta Palace will be made available to the Head of House for another 49 years; the royal household will receive €3.000 per month for upkeep on the property. Further, a budget that can support an administrative staff of up to 20 persons will be given to the royal household. Costs incurred by the Royal House in the organisation of its various annual events may also be covered.

Each year the Royal House will then be obligated to present a report to the Parliament of the Republic of Romania on its activities.

http://evz.ro/news-alert-casa-tariceanu.html

Note: the posting of Marilena Rotaru was not shared on Nicholas’ personal Facebook account. Perhaps it appeared on one of the profiles that has been created in his support.

This would be in reference to the following events:

Crown Princess Margareta returned to Bucharest two days ago, after the health of King Michael apparently stabilised. The royal household announced that access to the king will continue to be limited to the daughters of the King, the King's son-in law, as well as Metropolitan Iosif of the Roumanian Orthodox Diocese of Western and Southern Europe or his representatives.

Yesterday, in an "emergency procedure," the Romanian Senate passed by a vote of 81-19 the legislation on the Statute on the Royal House of Romania, which will grant a certain kind of recognition to the Royal House in the legal framework of the Romanian Republic. It will grant the Head of the Royal House, as designated under the 2007 Fundamental Rules, a status comparable to a former head of state. The Elisabeta Palace will be made available to the Head of House for another 49 years; the royal household will receive €3.000 per month for upkeep on the property. Further, a budget that can support an administrative staff of up to 20 persons will be given to the royal household. Costs incurred by the Royal House in the organisation of its various annual events may also be covered.

Each year the Royal House will then be obligated to present a report to the Parliament of the Republic of Romania on its activities.

S-a DECIS chiar ACUM. Ce se va întâmpla cu CASA REGALĂ - BREAKING NEWS

Note: the posting of Marilena Rotaru was not shared on Nicholas’ personal Facebook account. Perhaps it appeared on one of the profiles that has been created in his support.

As a small sidenote, since it has been written several times, as far as I can remember, the official name for the nation of Romania was changed from ‘Republic of’ to ‘State of’ several years ago. The state is still republican in practice (unfortunately), but as far as I remember, went neutral in its named form.
That aside, it’s good news that this legislation passed with such support. It gives just that platform the Royal Family needs, financially and legislatively, to showcase the monarchy to the people of Romania. That being said .. the monarchy has really been given a lot of airtime in the news lately, and not of the good kind. 3-5 mins nightly on tv with the very public discourse surrounding Nicholas, his mother and aunt, the King.. This is dangerus publicity for the RF, and must be resolved, the sooner the better, and most likely by somehow reconciling Nicholas back into the family fold. He is, for all intents and purposes, seen as the only future after the King and Margareta, and if the Royal Family wants the restoration of the monarchy, all roads do point to him.

Meanwhile, all prayers are with the King. If only a resolution could be had while he was still here, all pieces would fall into place..

The State of Romania, one of the poorer states in Europe, really is remarkably generous towards Princess Margareta and Radu Duda. With the use of Elisabeta Palace, an own secretariat, staffing up to 20 persons, additional facilitary assistance by the State, they have the best they could get, since a restoration is no real prospect.

Isn't the new arrangement sort of a restoration, and in some respects better than a restoration as previously envisaged by some?

If I got a free palace, a staff paid for by the state, official recognition as being the Royal Family of Romania, with a state-recognized succession, and didn't have to deal with actually governing, isn't that a good outcome?

And the Royal Family should be worth tens of millions of euros due to recovering its properties, and surely it could play its new official status to earn even more millions (look at how Hillary Clinton earned tens of millions of dollars through her "charity" even when she wasn't in office). The Royal Family of Romania could certainly maximize its ties to Romanian politicians and benefit in many ways.

And in return, the Royal Family doesn't have to do much of anything.

I'd gladly take that job. Isn't it pretty much like the Swedish royal family- which is different in that the King of Sweden is officially the head of state, but similar in that the King of Sweden has no power?

Last edited:
And the Royal Family should be worth tens of millions of euros due to recovering its properties, and surely it could play its new official status to earn even more millions (look at how Hillary Clinton earned tens of millions of dollars through her "charity" even when she wasn't in office). The Royal Family of Romania could certainly maximize its ties to Romanian politicians and benefit in many ways.

The Romanian Royal House is conservatively estimated to have a fortune around €60 million. This derives mostly from the Royal Domain of Sinaia (which includes Peleș Castle, Pelișor Castle and the Foișor Hunting Lodge), Săvârșin Castle, sizable tracts of forests as well as some properties in Bucharest. With the passage of the Statute on the Royal House of Romania, the control of the fortune will conceivably be concentrated in the person of the Head of the Royal House - technically this would be King Michael, but owing to his condition Crown Princess Margarita has been acting head.

The State of Romania, one of the poorer states in Europe, really is remarkably generous towards Princess Margareta and Radu Duda. With the use of Elisabeta Palace, an own secretariat, staffing up to 20 persons, additional facilitary assistance by the State, they have the best they could get, since a restoration is no real prospect.

I agree. If the state of Romania does approve this settlement, it will be largely because of the affection and esteem in which King Michael is held and the commitment of the Crown Princess to public service over the last few years. She is consistently ranked as one of if not the most influential women in Romania due to her implication in social issues.

If the "rehabilitation" of the Royal house stops there, it's already not bad. The German royal families got generous settlements after WW1 but were sidelined form any public role and only in Montenegro has there been a comparable comeback since the fall of the communist dictatorships.

However, with a permanent public role enshrined in law and a Crown Princess dedicated to serving the country, there is scope for further progress.

As Csenyc points out, this settlement establishes a "ceremonial royal house" which is not so far from a "ceremonial monarchy" à la Suédoise. Whether in years to come, the ceremonial royal house will be able to evolve into a ceremonial monarchy or whether ceremonial monarchies will become ceremonial royal houses in "republics", remains to be seen.

I have a strong suspicion that the reasons behind some of the vitriol being spouted against the Crown Princess and her husband by certain monarchist journalists is due to their disapproval of this strategy of compromise with the state.

At this point, it is my dearest wish for this family that it can come together again and so prepare for future generations to take over.

:previous::previous:

Your assessment that the war of the monarchists against Princess Margarita and Radu Duda has to do with their willingness to compromise with the State of Romania is a good and plausible one.

When Nicholas is "annexed" in their camp, to be used as the stick to beat the dog with, then this compromis can be seen as "an act of treason" committed by Princess Margareta and Radu Duda whom have worked, lobbied, promoted, negotiated so hard to come where they have come now: a remarkably generous and well-willing arrangement between the State of Romania and the former King.

It is easy to see that die-hard monarchists see any other arrangement with the State than a restored monarchy as "high treason". When a disappointed Nicholas can be used as a pawn by them (using him to discredit Princess Margareta, Radu Duda, Princess Elena) then it is clear they are willing to sabotage. If I was Nicholas and aiming to come back in grace and favour, I would keep a big, big distance from these "monarchists".

Last edited:
Any condolence messages or reactions yet from other Royal Houses ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom