King Carol II (1893-1953), Queen Mother Helen (1896-1982), Wives and Descendants

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Talking about a man, whose name is Alexander Hohenzollern, who AFAIK has always used that name, has never claimed the use of any other name, surname or of any title, or to whom nobody has ever attributed a different name, surname or title, I can't see the difficulty of referring to him directly by using his name Alexander Hohenzollern.

I suppose in his case that's quite clear.
Does anybody know if Mr Alexander Hohenzollern claimed any property in Romania?

I suppose in his case that's quite clear.
Does anybody know if Mr Alexander Hohenzollern claimed any property in Romania?

Several years ago Alexander was listed as a claimant in one of the court cases that Paul initiated in Romania regarding the personal properties of the Royal Family; it does not seem to have been reported whether the younger brother actually received any compensations or restitutions.

He should technically be entitled to half of a 37.5% share in King Carol II's personal estate as one of the two sons of the King's eldest son Carol Mircea Lambrino.

Unlike his elder brother, Alexander is a very private person and has lived in the United States for many years.

A couple of articles:
http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20040330/NEWS/103300012
http://www.libertatea.ro/stiri/stiri-interne/stiati-ca-printul-paul-are-un-frate-704061

Last edited:
Has he visited Romania only for the funeral of his father?

Has he visited Romania only for the funeral of his father?

His father abandoned his mother and himself when he was a kid. Didn't pay child support. in the 80s, police found Jeanne and Alex living in a car in NJ because they had no money. Works at a ski resort in Colorado. His paternal family did not come to his assistance to help with serious medical bills after his accident.

It seems that the remains of Queen Mother Elena and of her brother in.law Prince Mircea will find final rest at Curtea de Arges new church too.

Any source for this news?

If they were not very united in life at least they will be closer now.

I'd say let the poor woman keep some distance in death from the man who treated her abominaly in life.

I'd say let the poor woman keep some distance in death from the man who treated her abominaly in life.

I take your point but I believe that both Queen Mother Elena and His Late Majesty King Michael would want to rest in peace together and I imagine that the family is keen to honour thieir wishes.

Any proof the Queen Mother has ever wished to be buried in Romania at Curtea de Arges?

I take your point but I believe that both Queen Mother Elena and His Late Majesty King Michael would want to rest in peace together and I imagine that the family is keen to honour thieir wishes.

But they could led KIng Carol II. whre he is buried now. Or bury him next to his parents.

But they could led KIng Carol II. whre he is buried now. Or bury him next to his parents.

All the descendants of Carol II agreed with this move?

A new portrait of Queen Elena

On the occasion of her birthday yesterday Her Majesty Margareta received from Prince Radu an oil portrait of Queen Mother Elena of Romania.

The portrait is the latest creation of Romanian painter Vadim Cretu. The painting will be exhibited in the Queen's Office at Elisabeta Palace and will be part of the Royal College of Contemporary Art, founded at the initiative of academician Sorin Dumitrescu and the Anastasia Foundation in 2001.

http://www.romaniaregala.ro/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/IMG_4560-e1522051189400.jpg

Last edited:
What a nice and thoughtful gift by Radu. A nice picture of his spouse's grandmother.

Romanian prince: Expose my uncle as Nazi Monday, 20 June 2005
prince%20paul%20romania.jpg
It's an historic irony: European royals needing the help of Jews.

But such is the case for Paul of Romania, crown prince of Romania, foe of the country's last monarch, King Michael.

Prince Paul and his wife Lia are in Israel for a whirlwind visit to meet with officials of the government and Jewish organizations to ask them to help expose Michael - Paul's uncle - as a criminal accomplice of the Nazis.

The royals brought with them a stack of documents, many of them kept hidden for years and only recently uncovered, to prove their case that King Michael was a profiteer during the war years and after. They said their arguments have received little press in their home country because of fear of reprisals from the government.

So the prince and princess are here, they said, on the advice of the likes of French Nazi hunter Serge Klarsfeld, Lord Greville Janner of England and US Sen. Diane Feinstein.

Appealing to Israel and world Jewry is Paul's last hope of preventing the Romanian parliament from awarding Michael a 30 million euro compensation package for his World War II-era property that would include 2,600 acres of developed land.

Satellite

Prince Paul and his wife, Princess Lia, present a copy of the government's records from 1941 that shows King Michael's authorization of numerous anti-Jewish laws.

"During the four years there was a Nazi state, the Jews [of Romania] were deported, their properties were confiscated, they were not allowed to be pharmacists or doctors, they had to wear the yellow star and 350,000 died," Paul said in an interview with The Jerusalem Post on Sunday. "And who is responsible? Michael created the Nazi state. And now he is getting rewarded!"

Paul said he would prefer that the money be spent on a "worthwhile" fund set aside either for compensating Jews for property confiscated during Romania's Nazi-influenced government of the 1940s, or for the establishment of a museum to what was once Europe's third-largest Jewish community. To do so would be to repay a "debt of honor," he said.

To help pay that debt, the prince has helped prepare a class-action suit in Romania on behalf of Jews whose property was seized under King Michael.

The prince claimed that Michael had offered him a portion of the 30m. euro compensation to keep quiet about the past, but he refused.

"I am on the warpath," Paul said. "I am out to prove that, yes, I am part of this family, but I am not part of the cover-up."

A cover-up, if there was one, would be part of royal intrigue in Romania that extends beyond an internal family conflict. Michael (Mihai in Romanian) was king twice - first as a child in the late 1920s, and again between 1940 and 1947, after his father (and Paul's grandfather), King Carol II, abdicated.

Satellite

King Michael (second from left) salutes German troops in Romania, in one of several long-hidden photographs that Prince Paul claims proves Michael's complicity with the Nazis.

It was during Michael's second reign that the country came under the power of military dictator Gen. Ion Antonescu. Antonescu was a virulent anti-Semite who was supported by the similarly anti-Semitic and ultranationalist fascist group the Iron Guard.

King Carol II's abdication of the throne and flight from the country were the result of the strength of Antonescu and his quarrels with the Iron Guard.

Antonescu forged an alliance with Adolf Hitler. According to the records brought by Prince Paul, King Michael forged an alliance with Antonescu, and as a result signed into law several anti-Jewish ordinances; he may even have encouraged or tacitly approved of deportations and killings of Romanian Jews, the prince said. During this period, Paul noted, King Michael profited greatly, both politically and financially.

However, Michael also helped overthrow Antonescu in late 1944 and signed an armistice with the Allies, joining Romania's lot with that of the Russians. His reign would last until a Communist-dominated government bloc forced his abdication at the end of 1947.

Until now Paul, who was born in 1948, has fought Michael over recognition of the right to inherit the throne. The documents he has amassed, though, have provided him with an even stronger animus.

"I didn't realize how involved he was but Michael was a war profiteer and a criminal," the prince said. "Just because he joined the Allies at the last minute doesn't mean he should get away with it. Antonescu was shot for his crimes Doesn't Michael deserve the same?"

By Sam Ser, THE JERUSALEM POST Jun. 20, 2005

This is hilarious

On Saturday, 9 March, the coffin of King Carol II's earthly remains will be buried at a new religious and military ceremony in the New Archbishop and Royal Cathedral in Curtea de Arges.
Her Majesty Margareta, will be represented at the funeral ceremony by Prince Radu. Princess Sofia and Princess Maria will also take part.

Ceremonia funerară a Regelui Carol al II-lea | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

On Friday, 8 March , at the evening, the coffin of King Carol II's earthly remains was brought to the Episcopal and Royal Cathedral in Curtea de Arges in a military and religious ceremony.
Prince Radu, Princess Sofia and Princess Maria took part

Ceremonia funerară a Regelui Carol al II-lea | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

The burial service of King Carol II in the new Archdiocese Cathedral

Last edited by a moderator:
Who was the young couple with their little boy. I think behind them I saw Nicholas and Alina.

Who was the young couple with their little boy. I think behind them I saw Nicholas and Alina.

Paul and Lia Lambrino: Paul is a grandson of King Carol II through the king's first marriage to Zizi Lambrino.

It is worth mentioning that Lambrino is not his legal last name or the name he uses to refer to himself - I think it is the name with which the late King Mihai and his family refer to him.

Back
Top Bottom