King Carol I (1839-1914) and Elisabeth zu Wied (aka Carmen Sylva) (1843-1916)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariacris

Aristocracy
City
Country
Romania
In May there will be 140 since Prince Carol of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen was crowned,(on 10th May) and I understand it will be some festivities.

Last edited by a moderator:
King Carol I (1839-1914) was born Prince Karl of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, the second son of Karl Anton, Prince (Fürst) of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen and his wife, Princess Josephine of Baden. He was elected Domnitor (Prince) of Romania on 20 April 1866 following the overthrow of Alexander John Cuza by a palace coup.
Following the defeat of the Ottoman Empire in the Russo-Turkish War Prince Carol was proclaimed King of Romania on 26 March 1881.

He married Elisabeth zu Wied (1843-1916), the daughter of Hermann, Prince (Fürst) zu Wied and Princess Marie of Nassau in Neuwied on 15 November 1869. Their only child was a daughter named Maria who died aged three in 1874. As "Carmen Sylva", she wrote poems, plays, novels, short stories, essays, collections of aphorisms etc in German, Romanian, French and English.

Images from Wikipedia Commons and not subject to copyright.

King Carol I

KingCarolIb.jpg

Queen Elisabeth

QueenElisabeth.jpg

Last edited:
Ah! Thanks for the info. Warren, "Born to Rule" did not make clear that she wrote under that name and used it interchangably throughout the book so it was a little unclear about who she was. At one point I thought there was a Queen and a mistress on the side named Carmen Sylva. :ohmy:

Carol I did't have mistresses but Queen Elisabeta was a very peculiar person.

Weekly picture: the Carmen Sylva grand valse for piano « Diana Mandache's Weblog

This month will be launched in Germany the wonderful biography of Queen Elisabeta of Romania (born Princess Elisabeth von Wied) by Gabriel Badea-Paun:

Carte despre Regina Elisabeta a României, în limba german

Portrait Miniature: King Carol I of Romania | Diana Mandache Historian & Author

Commemoration: 140 years ago Maria of Hohenzollern died | Diana Mandache's Weblog

Where does Carmen Sylva come from? Did the queen call herself this?

Queen Elisabeth was rather an artist.

Queen Elizabeth of Romania was closely related to both the Houses of the Nassau dynasty. Elizabeth's mother was Princess Marie von Nassau (1825-1902). In 1890 the House Nassau replaced the House Orange-Nassau as reigning House in Luxembourg after the death of King Willem III of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Grand Duke of Luxembourg. So Elizabeth herself was half a Nassau via her mother.

Elizabeth's aunt Princess Helena von Nassau (1831-1888) married the Fürst von Waldeck und Pyrmont. Her daughter Emma, herself half a Nassau via her mother, would marry with the said King Willem III of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Grand Duke of Luxembourg. This means Queen Elizabeth of Romania ("Carmen Sylva") was a full cousin of Queen Emma of the Netherlands.

Besides this, Princess Elizabeth's own brother Wilhelm, would marry Princess Marie of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, even more linking the Romanian Hohenzollerns closer to the Nassau dynasty, while there were already so many Nassau-Hohenzollern links.

Those were the times.... :)

Last edited:
At the end of his reign Carol I was probably dissapointed about the reaction of the politicians and public opinion at the beginning of the first wold war.

Queen Elisabeta was Lutheran all her life and she was very proud to be a member of the House of Hohenzollern. Why organizing then a 100 years anniversary from her passing away in a place she had never been, in a orthodox church and with no members of the Houses of Wied and Hohenzollern present?

We have to respect the religious affiliation of each person that passed away. It is normal to have the commemoration of a lutheran Queen in a Lutheran church. Queen Elisabeta had never visited Savarsin and the official residence of the Romanian King is in Bucharest not in Savarson, which is a private residence.
Queen Elisabeta was very proud to be a Hohenzollern but no Prince of Hohenzollern was invited.

Carol I of Hohenzollern was called to the Throne in 1866 to be a Head of State above Romanian politics,factions and families. What can we learn from what happened in 1866?

Still nothing in a Lutheran church for the late Luheran Queen.

I suppose that you are referring to the commemoration for the 100th anniversary of the death of Queen Elisabeth of Romania, organized on 18 February by the Romanian Royal Family at the Orthodox Curch of Săvârşin (the royal residence where the Crown Princess and Prince Radu are currently staying):
Centenarul morții Reginei Elisabeta a României
https://translate.google.it/translate?sl=ro&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.familiaregala.ro%2Fstiri%2Farticol%2Fcentenarul-mortii-reginei-elisabeta-a-romaniei&edit-text=

Just a guess: the commemoration took place in Romania because it was organized by the Romanian Royal Family for a late Queen of Romania; it took place in Săvârșin because the representatives of the Royal Family who attended it are currently residing there.

After the memorial celebrated at the Church of Savarsin on 18 February, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the death of Queen Elisabeth of Romania, on 20 February a concert took place in Bucharest as part of the commemoration.
The concert was organized by ANRM (National Alliance for the Restoration of the Monarchy) and the Association of Students of the National University of Music of Bucharest, with the support of the National University of Music which hosted the event.
During the concert were played musics by Queen Elisabeth's favourite composers (Johann Sebastian Bach, Ludwig van Beethoven, Franz Joseph Haydn, Franz Schubert and George Enescu) and were read excerpts from the poems written by the Queen hereself under the pseudonym of Carmen Sylva.
The concert was attended by Princess Maria of Romania.

Concert extraordinar în memoria Reginei Elisabeta a României | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania
https://translate.google.com/transl...oria-reginei-elisabeta-a-romaniei/&edit-text=

In 2016 there are 150 years of the Hohenzollern Dinasty in Romania. Which will be the best way to celebrate such event?

What's your opinion about the dialogue of Carol I with his sister , the Countess of Flandre?

Carol I did not have unfortunately the public Catholic Funerals like Queen Ana now.

King Carol I and Queen Elisabeth attended the 50th anniversary of the University of Bucharest.

Queen Elisabeta translated some of Eminescu's poems even if the poet himself was not a great admirer of the Queen's literary works:

Back
Top Bottom