Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What has been proven? Nothing in particular as far as I can see.

That is my point: unless someone tests the reactions in Cluj, Brasov, Constanta, Bucharest and the people spontaneous say "Our Prince!" when seeing a picture of Nicholas, then it is proven. For so far we don't know.

Are you serious? We take a picture of Nicolae and ask to the streets the romanians what kind Prince is for you? To proove what? Is not enough he is going to so many events and citys people is there and supporting him? (But if you ask me i take to "My Prince" . You? )

... many members of the public as well as government officials seem to warmly embrace him as their prince.

I don't really understand why this simple observation has become such a cause célèbre. Prince Nicolae certainly appears to be received with warmth and interest on his numerous public engagements. To say that many Romanians seem to embrace him as their prince is a perfectly reasonable observation. The use of the possessive pronoun is simply an idiomatic way to emphasise the affectionate nature of the relationship (not a statement of fact, nor an acknowledgment of overlordship.) QED does not come into it, as there is nothing to prove when describing an impression.

It is nice for Nicholas etc. etc. but I feel too many conclusions are attached to it. When Prince Georg Friedrich von Preussen visits, let's say Magdeburg, there will be a friendly and warm reception, even with people standing or applauding, without any other meaning than giving the good man a warm welcome.

Once I was in Budapest and I saw Archduke Georg and his spouse Archduchess Eilika (brother of Archduke Karl, the chef of the House). The public started a spontaneous applause and some were yelling (of approval). But that was a sign of adherence, more could not be read in it. It can not be concluded "Oh, the Hungarians want the monarchy back!". Most likely the president of Hungary and his spouse, or a famous soccer player and his wife would have received a similar welcome by the public.

The Nicolae turned to Romania about two years now. The purpose of the is the people to know him because further him as they know now as the granchildren of the King. Trying to support and help as you can his country. He is not purpose to people see him and scream "Please Nicolae become our King". The restoration of the Monarchy that will not be done from one day to another. Yes the people when they see a famous soccer or a famous actor to scream the same or maybe more i don't think bother Nicolae very much.
Not to compare dissimilar things.

Last edited:
It is true not all the Romanians consider the King's grandson Nicolae as "their Prince" but more and more people in Romania admire this young gentleman that represents the King.

From the Facebook of the British School of Bucharest, 19th June.
"Y9 students had the privilege of meeting HRH Prince Nicholas of Romania on their expedition and were given the opportunity to discuss the Duke of Edinburgh's International Award in Romania"
https://www.facebook.com/BritishSch...4801332884160/991307284233556/?type=1&theater

Nicolae was in the city of Turda on 19th-22th June. He participated in Train the Trainers Course organized by the The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Romania.
Principele Nicolae, formator al The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania
Translation

From the Facebook of The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Romania
Over the past few days a Train the Trainers took place to train next batch of trainers who will provide the DofE programme to leaders within schools, NGOs, universities across Romania. HRH Prince Nicholas participated in the training, and is now qualified to train high school and universities teachers, plus NGO youth leaders to do the Award programme for their young people.
Train the Trainers _ Facebook

Last edited:
He is really more confident in himself now but I still believe he does not fully understand the complex Romanian realities yet.

Last edited:
Prince Nicolae has been on an official visit to the Netherlands on 26th June-3rd July.
On 26th June he met at the Romanian embassy representatives of the Romanian community in the Netherlands. On this occasion, His Excellency Ambassador Ireny Comaroschi hosted a reception in honor of the visit of prince Nicolae.
Also, in the days of June 28 to July 3, Nicolae took part in a study visit with a view to promoting in our country of the Dutch model for the development of a system of integrated and sustainable mobility.
He attended seminars and meetings in Amsterdam, Delft, Dieren, Nijmegen and Eindhoven, attended by representatives of Dutch public authorities, institutions in the regulation of urban mobility, engineers, architects and tracks bicycles and urban mobility infrastructure and financing experts such projects.
Along with Nicolae there were representatives of local authorities from Deva, Sibiu, Hunedoara, Timisoara, Constanta and Sinaia.
Throughout the study visit, Nicolae used as a means of transportation, bicycle or train, to be able to observe practical solutions applied by the Dutch for the infrastructures of bicycle and pedestrian trails that can be successfully implemented in Romania.
Principele Nicolae, vizită în Olanda _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania
Translation

Now that is an intensive visit to the Netherlands. I am curious to learn if Nicholas will be received by a member of the Dutch royal family. King Michael and Queen Anne (a Princess de Bourbon de Parme) have enjoyed hospitality by Queen Beatrix and other members before.

I like Prince Nicolae, he seems to be very active in his royal role. I think it's nice that even though he was only "asked" to become a Romanian Prince a few years ago, he has adjusted to royal life. I think it's great when non-reigning royals (particularly when they have been exiled from their home country for so many years) get involved with charities and organisations in their home country. Prince Nicolae in particular seems to be very passionate about reading.

Does Prince Nicolae currently have a girlfriend? I remember reading that he used to go out with a British (?) girl named Rebecca, but I'm not sure if they're still together.

Yesterday the King of the Netherlands did attend the Grand Départ of the Tour de France in Utrecht (the Netherlands). There were more than 350.000 people on this hot summer day in the city of Utrecht. Possibly Nicholas was there as well, cycle lover as he is, and met the King at the VIP diner the day before the Grand Départ. No pictures so far.

I like Prince Nicolae, he seems to be very active in his royal role. I think it's nice that even though he was only "asked" to become a Romanian Prince a few years ago, he has adjusted to royal life. I think it's great when non-reigning royals (particularly when they have been exiled from their home country for so many years) get involved with charities and organisations in their home country. Prince Nicolae in particular seems to be very passionate about reading.

Does Prince Nicolae currently have a girlfriend? I remember reading that he used to go out with a British (?) girl named Rebecca, but I'm not sure if they're still together.

In every public outing there is no girlfriend at the side of Nicholas. When you look for Rebecca / Becca / Margareta Byatt, then you only find old pictures with an almost unrecognizeable Nicholas (a chubby dude at least 15 kilo heavier than today). So possibly we may conclude there is no girlfriend in Nicholas' life.

The formal heir to the defunct throne of Romania, according to the one and only document on which the Romanian monarchy rested -the latest Constitution of the Kingdom of Romania- is Prince Karl Friedrich, the present Fürst von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. He is the most senior male agnate after former King Michael. His son, Prince Alexander is number two.

According to the said Constitution, Nicholas Medforth-Mills, is no male agnate and therefore not eligible for the royal succession. We know that former King Michael has ignored the Constitution (which he once solemnly pledged to maintain) and has unilaterally changed the line of succession by giving precedence to his daughters (but later, again unilaterally, excluding one of these).

Anyway, on ground of these royal demarchés, Nicholas Medforth-Mills, later Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills, later Prince Nicolae of Romania, suddenly became the Number Three in the changed line of succession.

Prince Karl Friedrich, the Fürst von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, and his son Prince Alexander have remained low-key on these changes. Most likely they see the defunct throne of Romania what it is: a defunct throne. The Fürst and his son are likely -and wisely- concentrating on the management of the large assets, patrimonium, domains, wealth and estates of their House.

From his marriage to Princess Alexandra born Schenk Countess von Stauffenberg, the Fürst has three daughters close to Nicholas' age: Princess Philippa, Princess Flaminia and Princess Antonia.

It would really strenghten the position of Nicholas when he, son of a Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen princess, would marry with one of these three ladies. No matter the fact that their father keeps a low profile on the succession of the defunct throne, as chef of the House he possibly will have a claim on former royal properties when the ownership documents follow the succession as vested in the last royal Constitution. When one of his daughters would marry Nicholas, the (already wealthy) Fürst most likely will not be a formidable legal blockade when the ownerships eventually ends in the hands of his -then- son-in-law Nicholas.

Needless to say that -apart from all this- a marriage with a Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen will raise the stature of Nicholas himself. The marriage of Princess Caroline of Monaco, despite all the private struggles afterwards, with the Prince of Hannover unmistakenably raised her royal status. More than a Junot or a Casiraghi. That is just how these things work. A 'good' marriage will never harm Nicholas' standing in and outside Romania.

There is no dialogue at all between the Royal Family of Romania and the Princely House of Hohenzollern.

Yesterday the King of the Netherlands did attend the Grand Départ of the Tour de France in Utrecht (the Netherlands). There were more than 350.000 people on this hot summer day in the city of Utrecht. Possibly Nicholas was there as well, cycle lover as he is, and met the King at the VIP diner the day before the Grand Départ. No pictures so far.

Nicolae's visit to the Netherlands ended on 3rd July, before the Tour de France started.

From Nicolae's Facebook 7th July, leaving to Kenya
https://ro-ro.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=938341422876250&id=210834488960284

Last edited:
The bicycles sponsored by Curtea Veche, the foundation Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills works for have his monogram. The frame says, in Romanian: "Under high patronage of His Royal Highness Prince Nicolae of Romania" (picture).

Last edited:
In the case of his marriage with a Catholic Princess will he accept his children to be raised as Catholics and give a strong message about the freedom of conscience and the equality of denominations in the country?

Sure if Nicolae go to live in the country of a Catholic Princess :ermm:
This did not happen in any other country and i don't think so Nicolae he need to proove anything.

Last edited:
He needs to prove that His Family allows freedom of conscience.

We must agree that disagree :)

Why should somebody be forced to raise his children as Orthodox?

Why should an Orthodox individual be forced to not raise his children Orthodox?

Why assume that there is any force at all? Why not assume that the two parents from different religions have had a discussion - even multiple discussions - regarding the religion of their children before hand and accept that whatever way their child is raised is the way that they have agreed upon?

If he marries a Catholic Princess it will be a problem: the Fundamental new Rules of the Family asks all members to be Orthodox so that Catholic Princess won't be allowed to raise her children as Catholics.
This is all about religious freedom. This Family does nor represent only those that are Orthodox.

Yes, but Cory you're assuming that if Nicholas marries a Catholic and they raise their children as Orthodox then he is forcing his wife to give up her religion/raise her children that way.

Which is ridiculous.

It's more logical to assume that knowing the rules regarding religion, Nicholas is seeking a bride who would be willing to raise their children Orthodox, as raising his children Orthodox is something that is important to him.

We don't assume that Willem-Alexander forced Maxima to raise her children Dutch reform, but rather that she decided that doing so was something she was willing to do for her relationship. We don't assume that Peter Phillips forced Autumn to convert to Anglicanism, but rather that she decided she was willing to do so for her relationship. There are more than a few cases of modern royal consorts choosing to raise their children in a religion different than the one that they follow, or choosing to convert to their husband's religion, and it's silly to think that in the 21st century where arranged marriages are mostly a thing of the past in the Western world that these women (and men) are doing so out of force.

If Nicholas marries a Catholic who converts or who chooses to raise her children Orthodox it says nothing about the Romanian Royal Family so much as it says something about Nicholas and his wife - namely that to her, her relationship was more important than her religion.

All of this discussion seems rather premature until Nicholas actually announces an engagement to a Catholic princess--which would be quite a coup.

It is quite normal for royal families to require their members belong to a certain sect, it is tradition, there was a time when protestants, Catholics and Orthodox Christians fought each other. The spouse marrying into the family is no doubt aware of the requirement. It isn't like they all aren't Christians of some sort.

Nicolae is not a prince anymore. This is a breaking news in Romania. King Michael excluded him from he line of succesion. We don't know the reason for the moment, we will find soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom