Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think Margarita and Nicholas have done a lot to help their images in Romania, and as such I don't think it's likely that another contender could usurp them.

However, never say never. If I remember correctly, the major monarchist group in Romania wanted Michael to name a male German as the heir, then were willing to accept him naming Nicholas, but weren't happy when he chose to name Margarita. I think a lot of the support and recognition for a non-reigning family comes from its country's monarchist group(s), and if someone else with a good claim chose to put their name forward and the monarchists chose to recognize them instead of Margarita.... I don't think it would be good for the movement in Romania, but I could see it happening.

I doubt a German royal has much chance of usurping Margarita or Nicholas, but I could almost see Paul or his children doing it. We might not take him serious, but he and his after have been able to gain recognition in the courts. There have been a number of cases in Lisborn, France, the UK, and Romania about recognizing Carol as the son of Carol II, and acknowledging whether or not he has succession rights - and the first three clearly did so. The Romanian one recognized Carol as the son of Carol II but was unclear on what that meant about succession rights. While Paul claims to be pro republic now, his tune may change when Michael dies, and who knows whether or not the monarchists will like him as heir more than Margarita or Nicholas.

It remains to be seen whether or not Michael made a mistake in deciding to go against the wishes of the monarchists when he named Margarita his heir. I hope he didn't, because I think she is good for Romania, but who knows what the Romanian monarchists think.

Prince Nicolae is on an official visit in Düsseldorf, Germany on 15th-17th September. He attends at the series of events commemorating the centenary of the death of King Carol I.
Principele Nicolae, vizită oficială în Germania, 15-17 septembrie 2014 Familia Regală a României Royal Family of Romania
Translation

"Prince Nicolae of Romania made ​​no fuss about his person when he was received yesterday together with a large Romanian delegation at City Hall".
Delegation Ein echter Prinz aus Rumänien zu Gast in Düsseldorf
Translation

Thanks LadyFinn for the recent updates on Prince Nicolae's latest engagements.

Out of interest, do you or anyone else know how tall Nicolae is? :penguin:

Thanks LadyFinn for the recent updates on Prince Nicolae's latest engagements.

Out of interest, do you or anyone else know how tall Nicolae is? :penguin:

No, but he seems to be a little shorter than the Earl of Wessex. So if someone knows how tall the Earl is, that would help.

Prince Nicolae was in London on 22-24 September at the regional conference EMAS (Europe, Mediterranean and Arab States) of the "The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award".
Principele Nicolae, la Conferința Regională a programului „The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award”, Londra, 22-24 septembrie 2014 Familia Regală a României Royal Family of Romania
Translation

I like the fact that "The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award" aims to help young people skills needed for independent living, giving them the chance to excel and be recognized internationally for their merits.

The young Prince really turns out to be an asset for the monarchy. Hopefully he will find a royal or noble partner, to strenghten his royal ties, which are of course relatively weak (being a Medforth).

The young Prince really turns out to be an asset for the monarchy. Hopefully he will find a royal or noble partner, to strenghten his royal ties, which are of course relatively weak (being a Medforth).

Yes, Duc, we all know this is your only concern...:whistling: I hope he´ll find a suitable partner no matter what social background, royal, aristocrat or commoner, he loves and wants to spend the rest of his life with!
How can one still in the year of 2014 seriously be more snobbish than long reigning, respectable monarchs?!?

Yes, Duc, we all know this is your only concern...:whistling: I hope he´ll find a suitable partner no matter what social background, royal, aristocrat or commoner, he loves and wants to spend the rest of his life with!
How can one still in the year of 2014 seriously be more snobbish than long reigning, respectable monarchs?!?

I wouldn't say it's snobbish. It's something that's necessitated by the old house and succession rules.

Reigning families have the ability to modernize and update their marriage and succession rules through legislation. They aren't being challenged by others who want to put forth their own claim to being the head of the house.

Non reigning houses typically don't have this advantage. In as much as the head of house can decree some change it's really up to the rest of the house to decide whether or not they recognize it, particularly after that head dies. Some houses are stuck in the past because they don't have the means to move forward.

I actually don't think that applies to Nicholas though. If he's recognized as the head of the house then already the old rules will have been thrown out the window - his parents don't have an equal marriage and he's inheriting through a female line. His claim won't strengthen in any way through him entering into an equal marriage. His situation isn't comparable to, say, Georgi of Russia, since Georgi's claim in the first place is based on the idea that the marriages others have entered into disqualified them and their children from inheriting. His position would be weakened by entering into an unequal marriage, but Nicholas' wouldn't.

To me it´s snobism at its purest to claim that a person can only take a higher position in society because of a royal/ noble background while others don´t! Even the word "unequal" occurs so outdated to me, like something from another period of history, it almost hurts! We´re not living before WW 1 anymore!

To me it´s snobism at its purest to claim that a person can only take a higher position in society because of a royal/ noble background while others don´t! Even the word "unequal" occurs so outdated to me, like something from another period of history, it almost hurts! We´re not living before WW 1 anymore!

If you want equalness, you best opt for a republic, that is obvious.

:flowers:

Well, snobbism is alive and well in all section of society, always has been and always will be. In a communist country like China, everyone is apparently equal unless you are part of the government! Many traveller/gypsy groups are dreadfully snobbish when it comes to who they should marry.
In many religious groups if you marry the wrong person, you will be banished or shunned. The Indian caste system is a form of snobbery.
Many ordinary folk won't go on public transport if they have a car, they prefer to use that. I prefer first class travel on the train than standard class - snobbery!
Indeed, we are not living before WWI, but unequal is certainly not outdated and is found in every town and city around the world. The rules for royal marriage in Romania are trivial compared to real snobbery affecting millions!

Snobbery and House laws aside what do you think prince Nicholas would benefit the most from in the eyes of the Romanian public at the event of a restoration? Would it be to marry a (Romanian or foreign) commoner, a Romanian noble or a foreign royal?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Well, I didn´t mean "equality" in a communistic sense, but as a mark of a humane society where everybody is valued for what he/ she is, not who!
And yes, Duc et Pair, you CAN be a monarchist and still believe in the ideal of equality!
In my understanding the Royals are cherished and respected for their tireless work for their country, their unifying symbolism to represent the nation and so on, but not for what they have in their veins (well, blood, like the rest of us...) and for who their great grandfather happend to be!

Well, I didn´t mean "equality" in a communistic sense, but as a mark of a humane society where everybody is valued for what he/ she is, not who!
And yes, Duc et Pair, you CAN be a monarchist and still believe in the ideal of equality!
In my understanding the Royals are cherished and respected for their tireless work for their country, their unifying symbolism to represent the nation and so on, but not for what they have in their veins (well, blood, like the rest of us...) and for who their great grandfather happend to be!

In my humble and personal view: when you want a monarchical system, where the head of state is "delivered" by hereditary succession, with all traditions and trappings around, you need to stick to the rules. It is exactly the unequality, caused to the special positions of royal and noble families, which make them fascinating and interesting. Du moment that it does not matter at all who you are, an unwed momma (Norway), a sportschool owner (Sweden) or the daughter of a "wrong" personage (Máxima) then this is the best plea to scrap it all and choose the person we like, based on objective merits.

I am a monarchist but I hope that royal and noble families do maintain traditions and keep a high standard indeed. I am not an arch-traditionalist plediging for full Ebenbürtigkeit but please, can we expect some standing? Partners as Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz, Beatrice Borromeo, Stéphanie de Lannoy, Sophie von Isenburg, Paola Doimi de Lupis de Frankopan, Alfonso Pallavicini, Rodolphe van Limburg-Stirum, Diana de Cadaval, etc. are examples of partners whom still keep some "specialness" to royalty and nobility, have clear links with history and are also all spotless partners with great and friendly attitudes to the public.

Last edited:
In my humble and personal view: when you want a monarchical system, where the head of state is "delivered" by hereditary succession, with all traditions and trappings around, you need to stick to the rules. It is exactly the unequality, caused to the special positions of royal and noble families, which make them fascinating and interesting. Du moment that it does not matter at all who you are, an unwed momma (Norway), a sportschool owner (Sweden) or the daughter of a "wrong" personage (Máxima) then this is the best plea to scrap it all and choose the person we like, based on objective merits.

I am a monarchist but I hope that royal and noble families do maintain traditions and keep a high standard indeed. I am not an arch-traditionalist plediging for full Ebenbürtigkeit but please, can we expect some standing? Partners as Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz, Beatrice Borromeo, Stéphanie de Lannoy, Sophie von Isenburg, Paola Doimi de Lupis de Frankopan, Alfonso Pallavicini, Rodolphe van Limburg-Stirum, Diana de Cadaval, etc. are examples of partners whom still keep some "specialness" to royalty and nobility, have clear links with history and are also all spotless partners with great and friendly attitudes to the public.

Paola Doimi de Lupis de Frankopan did not marry a royal. Beatrice Borromeo is in a relationship with a man who is also not a royal.

There are a good many royal consorts who come from royal or noble backgrounds and are great partners. There are also a number of royal consorts who do not come from such backgrounds and are also great partners.

Snobbery and House laws aside what do you think prince Nicholas would benefit the most from in the eyes of the Romanian public at the event of a restoration? Would it be to marry a (Romanian or foreign) commoner, a Romanian noble or a foreign royal?

I don't know much about the people of Romania, so it is a difficult question to answer. Do any of our Romanian friends have any thoughts?

The problem Nicolae will have if the laws/rules relating to whom he can marry are not changed, will be finding someone suitable. It is a difficult enough job for a British prince to find a suitable wife and there are no restrictions here!
I suspect a restoration will precipitate an overhaul of the House rules, or the people will have to take the risk of going through the trouble of restoring the monarchy only to have it become extinct on account of there being no heirs again.

Nicholas' position isn't going to be strengthened or weakened by his marriage unless he marries someone who is completely unacceptable to the Romanians. If he marries someone who is as dedicated to Romania as he is, it isn't likely to matter what her background is (provided that it's a relatively scandal free one).

I don't know much about the people of Romania, so it is a difficult question to answer. Do any of our Romanian friends have any thoughts?

The problem Nicolae will have if the laws/rules relating to whom he can marry are not changed, will be finding someone suitable. It is a difficult enough job for a British prince to find a suitable wife and there are no restrictions here!
I suspect a restoration will precipitate an overhaul of the House rules, or the people will have to take the risk of going through the trouble of restoring the monarchy only to have it become extinct on account of there being no heirs again.

None of Michael's children married in accordance to the old house rules. Nicholas himself is the son of a "commoner." None of Michael's children or grandchildren are entitled to inherit under the old house rules either, yet Michael has decided that the Romanian House will be inherited by them. These rules have changed in this family.

Many of the named partners are not royal, I of course meant 'blue blooded' (= of royal or aristocratic descent).

If you want to wave to commoners on that balcony, you can elect them by yourself. Every four years. What a bargain, I would say...

If that simple, but profound, difference is not even acceptable anymore, then I would say: let us stop with all the comedy and pretend that the ladies we wave to are 'royal'. The more all this goes on, the classmate of Letizia in Oviedo or the collegue of Mette-Marit in that bar have the very same 'right' on labelling themselves 'royal'. People refusing to see all this ("Aaaaw.... isn't Sofia Hellqvist cuuuuute...") are sticking the head in the sand for the intrinsic erosion of the fundaments of what a monarchy still is. At the same time when a new partner pop up, people are frantically looking for royal or noble descendants.... "Aaaaw... Catherine Middleton descents from William the Conqueror!" while they claim that it is not important... Jejeje....

Last edited:
None of Michael's children married in accordance to the old house rules. Nicholas himself is the son of a "commoner." None of Michael's children or grandchildren are entitled to inherit under the old house rules either, yet Michael has decided that the Romanian House will be inherited by them. These rules have changed in this family.

Oh! So what is all the fuss about equality?

Update - I thought a debate had been started over snobbery because Nicolae had to marry a royal or nobel blood, but I got the wrong end of the stick and shouldn't have got involved. So I am deleting the relevant post/s i made as i think they are irrelevant!

Last edited:

We're not, but most of these house laws are from that era. Furthermore, since many of these houses haven't been in power since WWI, they haven't been able to update their succession laws.

I'm not typically an advocate for "equal" marriages and I agree that they're outdated. Marrying aristocrats and royals can be beneficial to a royal because they're of the same class and likely to be able to adapt to the confines of royal life easier than those of us with more freedom. However there are a good many royal consorts who have proven that being of the right background isn't always enough to make a royal marriage work. There are also a good many royal consorts who have shown that being of the wrong background isn't always a detriment - Daniel of Sweden and Mary of Denmark both come to mind here.

Once again, the problem that non-reigning houses face is the continued questioning of their legitimacy. They don't have any means to change the house laws, at least not any means that will be universally accepted, so they have to appear to follow them in order to maintain their legitimacy. Once again, I have to bring up a comparison to the Russians. Many of the Russian dynasts failed to adhere to the house marriage laws, leading to the chaos surrounding the succession now - is Prince Dimitri the head of the house, as most of the house itself claims, or is it Grand Duchess Maria? If it's the Grand Duchess then what happens to that claim if her son marries unequally, as Prince Dimitri did? Only in following these old rules while they're non-reigning can the houses themselves ensure that their legitimacy won't be contested.

Are you referring to HRH Prince Nicolae?

Are you referring to HRH Prince Nicolae?

Well my wish is that Prince Nicolae, who has a commoner father, and is a grandson of King Michael by his second daughter would strenghten his standing and "claim" by marrying Standesgemäß (which is not at all that strict as Ebenbürtig). My reasons for that is "keeping the blood blue", strenghten his position because in essence he is just an English commoner born in Switzerland claiming a position in the Royal House of Romania... (thanks to a succession "reviewed" into his advantage).

A good marriage which adds to his standing and prestige does no harm, I would say. And if that is labelled 'snobbery', so be it. If I may advise Mr Nicholas Medforth-Mills, pardon, Prince Nicolae of Romania: marry some nice lady with a backgroud rooted in aristocracy. It will bring you status, prestige, your children with that lady will be rooted in European aristocracy both via the mother and the father. It is always worth to consider such things.

Well my wish is that Prince Nicolae, who has a commoner father, and is a grandson of King Michael by his second daughter would strenghten his standing and "claim" by marrying Standesgemäß (which is not at all that strict as Ebenbürtig). My reasons for that is "keeping the blood blue", strenghten his position because in essence he is just an English commoner born in Switzerland claiming a position in the Royal House of Romania... (thanks to a succession "reviewed" into his advantage).

A good marriage which adds to his standing and prestige does no harm, I would say. And if that is labelled 'snobbery', so be it. If I may advise Mr Nicholas Medforth-Mills, pardon, Prince Nicolae of Romania: marry some nice lady with a backgroud rooted in aristocracy. It will bring you status, prestige, your children with that lady will be rooted in European aristocracy both via the mother and the father. It is always worth to consider such things.

I have one "candidate"-princess Olympia of Greece ! :flowers:

Well, I'm surprised Nicolae has time to find even a girlfriend let alone a potential wife as he seems so busy these days. I wonder what kind of circles he moves in socially speaking and what he does in his spare time?

Well, you can meet a partner everywhere. Would the then Prince of Orange ever have imagined that he would bump into his partner when visiting the Feria de Abril in Sevilla, in 1999?

I must say Nicholas comes over as a very charming gentleman, always with a broad smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom