The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Romania

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCtrojan View Post

Has just bitten his Romanian driver license?
Sorry -

Has he recently received his Romanian license?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

HRH Prince Nicolae at Galati and Braila:

Principele Nicolae la Gala

Old 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

HRH Prince Nicolae with his aunt, HRH the Crown Princess, at Bulandra Theater in Bucharest:

Familia Regala - Activitati curente
Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

HRH Prince Nicolae and HRH Prince Radu at the Memory Evening at Elisabeta Palace:

Video Oaspeti in casa Regelui Mihai | TVRNews.ro | Aici sunt

Seara Palatului Elisabeta dedicat
Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

HRH Prince Nicolae visited the Trading Chamber of Romania:

HRH Prince Nicolae participated at the National Competition of Public Speech where he granted different prizes:

Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Visit at the British School of Bucharest:

Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Happy Birthday to HRH Prince Nicholas of Romania! | Diana Mandache's Weblog
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Royal Highness

Happy Birthday to HRH!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

HRH Prince Nicolae received at Elisabeta Palace the students of "Iulia Hasdeu" National College:

Old 04-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

HRH Prince Nicolae visited Olt county:

VIDEO+FOTO *Slatina, vizitat

http://www.familiaregala.ro/news/354...na-si-Craiova/
Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Royal Highness

I have not heard much about HRH and Rebecca -lets hope there is preparation for an engagement :)
Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Serene Highness

Margareta is regal looking and Nicholas seems to be developing the regal look. They have the "good looking" genes. I am only belatedly reading about this family. It seems that the Romanians, like many other countries, are comprised of a wide variety of ethnic descents, and I wonder if that is also true of the royal family? I read a little of their history, and I remember that this country has had Saxons, Croatians, "original" Romanians who were colonists from Rome, Hungarians, Byzantines, and probably a bunch others. I like their wide cheek bones and the somewhat slanty eyes of King Michael and Princess Margareta. I enjoyed the pictures of the unique architecture of Romania. Most of us in the West do not hear much about this country, and I think we should hear more.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Family are the Hohenzollerns, they are basically all German with small doses of Russian on Michaels side and through Queen Anne some French and Italian blood. They have no native Roumanian ancestry.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

In case of Prince Nicholas, you can add English and Scottish ancestry to the mix through his father, the late Robin Medforth-Mills,

You are right about the rest of the Royal Family though: not a drop of actual Romanian blood in their veins. A lot of German blood mixed with drops of Russian, Danish, Italian, French, and some other. The only one who was of Romanian ancestry was carol Lambrino (the eldest son of Carol II of Romania and Zizi Lambrino), but then he wasn't considered a "proper" member of the Romanian Royal Family.

To the defence of the Romanian Royal Family, the Royal House's Statute actually forbids marriages to Romanians.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

To the defence of the Romanian Royal Family, the Royal House's Statute actually forbids marriages to Romanians.
Why is this?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

Presumably no longer in effect since the "Crown Princess" is married to one and if she had been able to have children I have no doubt they would have been in the line of succession after her.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Why is this?
To be honest, I have absolutely no idea. There were several Royal Families with similar rules, mostly "imported" ones (that is to say, families which didn't originate in a given country and became its royal house as a result of various events).

I never understood the reasoning behind that since marriage to a woman from the country you are reigning over and have no blood ties with should presumably strengthen the monarchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Presumably no longer in effect since the "Crown Princess" is married to one and if she had been able to have children I have no doubt they would have been in the line of succession after her.
Indeed, it is most probably no longer in force ever since King Michael established the Royal House of Romania, severing ties with the House of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. Presumably, new house laws were written at the same time. And before that, as Head of the House King Michael could amend the statute at any time. Indeed, he has done so on many occasions, such as when naming his daughter the Crown Princess, granting Nicolas the title of a Romanian Prince, etcetera.

King Michael, as generally undisputed Head of the House (Paul-Philippe Hohenzollern notwithstanding), gave his permission for the marriage of Margarita and Radu, which was really all that mattered.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the interesting replies. Although King Michael's side is Hohenzollern, his wife Anne was French and Italian, you say. That is half of the inheritance of Princess Margareta. Somewhere she has some slav descent, I suspect, with her cheekbones and slightly slanty eyes (by slightly slanty I don't mean oriental; I have the same eyes and I am not oriental...it is a feature I can't identify the source of, but it occurs in some Scandinavians as well as in people of the slavic countries. The Vikings had a big part in settling Russia and the Byzantine lands, coming down through Russia. I have been reading some history lately).
It's good they changed the absurd law that the ruler cannot marry a woman of his own country. Sounds like someone in the past wanted to preserve an elite and exclusive class. I have read that the Saxons who ruled parts of Romania long ago were exclusivists. Well I don't know much about it but it's an interesting puzzle.
Are the Hohenzollerns Saxon? I suppose they probably are. I have more reading to do.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Why is this?
When Prince Carol later King Carol I first came to Romania, it was after a long dispute among Romanian noble families for rulling the principality. It was part of the deal why a German prince was elected as a ruler, in order to put an end to all the internal struggle for power. Thus, one of the first rules was to forbid a marriage between the newly elected prince and any Romanian woman. The reason was that the noble families might push forward their daughters and any such marriage would most certainly benefit some families. All the impartiality which was supposed to be attained by bringing a foreign prince to rule would disappear because he would be biased towards his wife's family and they would gain too much power.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Romanian Royals have Romanian forefathers and the members of the Romanian Royal Family can marry Romanians.

Tags
prince nicolae, royal family of romania