Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only the fact that they have no children but it would make no sense considering that he brought GOOD press to the family. I seriously doubt he was planning a coup against his aunt, there would be no sense in that, and one would think Radu would use Nicholas popularity to his advantage. It isn't like Radu would ever be king.

Exactly, but you probably know there are some people obsessed with tarnish the image of Prince Radu, aka the husband of Princess Margareta.

Not only the fact that they have no children but it would make no sense considering that he brought GOOD press to the family. I seriously doubt he was planning a coup against his aunt, there would be no sense in that, and one would think Radu would use Nicholas popularity to his advantage. It isn't like Radu would ever be king.

Nicholas was the most popular member of the Family lately.

Nobody could force the King to take such a decision but this not mean the King did not take the decision speaking with them.

Of course the King discussed the situation with his daughter and son-in-law, after all he appointed her as his successor and future Head of the Royal House.

Why not discussing with Princess Elena and her son too?

Why not discussing with Princess Elena and her son too?

There's no evidence that he didn't discussed it with Nicholas, in fact the Royal House counselor that was interviewed said the decision came from the former Prince.

Maybe Princess Elena was not totally aware of the situation, but she does not even live in Romania.

Nobody spoke about a meeting between the King and his grandson before the decision was taken and Princess Elena received a letter to be informed about the decision.

Exactly, but you probably know there are some people obsessed with tarnish the image of Prince Radu, aka the husband of Princess Margareta.

True enough. He did make a minor mistake when he considered running for political office, on the other hand he has been instrumental in getting the family back in the public eye.

Nobody spoke about a meeting between the King and his grandson before the decision was taken and Princess Elena received a letter to be informed about the decision.

Just because nobody spoke about it, doesn't mean a meeting hasn't happened.

Also, humanity has invented a plethora of means of communication, that I'm sure the King and his grandson are aware about.

I am sure the Family would have spoken about a meeting if there were one. Nicholas left Romania without a Statement too.

Princess Elena can reinstate her son in his previous position when she becomes Head of the Family.

Sure, the King certainly decided to strip Nicholas of titles this morning, after receiving a call from the husband of Princess Margareta. Nicholas only discovered about everything together with the rest of us.

The Crown Princess and her machiavellian husband have now succeed on their plan to make Romania stay as a republic for ever and ever.

Makes a lot of sense. :whistling:

Last edited:
Margarita doesn't strike me as vindictive and though I find Radu a questionable figure, I don't think either of them had anything to do with this.

I guess his sister Karina is now the heiress. Will she become a Princess?

In one of the articles I read it seems to be the King's intention to let the royal family end after the death of his daughter.

The King has never spoken about the end of Monarchy.

In one of the articles I read it seems to be the King's intention to let the royal family end after the death of his daughter.

Yes, but he has another three daughters that are Princesses of Romania and two granddaughters who are in the line of succession.

Also, after she becomes Head of the House (an event that, in all probability, will happen in the coming years), the Crown Princess can go against her father's decisions.

Surely Princess Elena and her daughter will always support Nicholas.

Sure, the King certainly decided to strip Nicholas of titles this morning, after receiving a call from the husband of Princess Margareta. Nicholas only discovered about everything together with the rest of us.

The Crown Princess and her machiavellian husband have now succeed on their plan to make Romania stay as a republic for ever and ever.

Makes a lot of sense. :whistling:
Margarita and Radu met with Michael in Switzerland in early August. The statement makes it clear that Nicholas knew what was happening, and he agreed. The statement refers to moral and emotional issues.

Margarita doesn't strike me as vindictive and though I find Radu a questionable figure, I don't think either of them had anything to do with this.
The family met in early August in Switzerland

The Statement did not clearly refer to any specific issue regarding Nicholas.

Margarita and Radu met with Michael in Switzerland in early August. The statement makes it clear that Nicholas knew what was happening, and he agreed. The statement refers to moral and emotional issues.

I was being ironic, Marlene.

Gosh, all this has happened so quickly. :eek: Nicholas (I guess it's official to call him by his English name now...) seemed like he was doing a good job, and he seemed to be rather passionate in getting children in Romania interested in reading. I can sort of understand why he wouldn't be able to handle the role, as before he became a prince he was a commoner and didn't have any official royal experiences. I can imagine that he had "prince training" at the beginning though.

I agree with those who have suggested that this is most likely due to a falling out. I apologise if this has already been asked, but do we know if Crown Princess Margarita was informed of this (as I read that King Mihai wants the succession line to end at her)?
Yes, she and Radu flew to Switzerland in early August

Nicholas and his family must be very sad in this circumstance. A lot of Romanians are writting on the personalFacebook page of the young man expressing their closeness to him in these moments.

Last edited:
Yes, she and Radu flew to Switzerland in early August
Thank you for the information Marlene. I have to wonder if the family has come to realize that their place in Romanian society will never be restored to what it was before the end of WWII. Perhaps they've realized that their role to continue to serve as patrons of cultural and charitable foundations is truly enough for them as a family. King Michael can rest in the knowledge that he and his family were able to return to his homeland and see it evolve from the terrible conditions imposed during the Ceausescu regime.

Thank you for the information Marlene. I have to wonder if the family has come to realize that their place in Romanian society will never be restored to what it was before the end of WWII. Perhaps they've realized that their role to continue to serve as patrons of cultural and charitable foundations is truly enough for them as a family. King Michael can rest in the knowledge that he and his family were able to return to his homeland and see it evolve from the terrible conditions imposed during the Ceausescu regime.

25 years ago less of 10% of the population were in favour of the Family. Now there were more than 30% and Nicholas represented the hope for all these people.

It is possible Margareta does not stand her ground as much with her father, but may sympathize with Nicholas and reinstate him and the others too.

I also find it interesting that Elena was contacted by Michael via a letter. It is already known that he has not spoken to Irina or her children for years. There is a disconnect in this family.

Thank you for mentioning this, Ceallach.

It is worth considering that perhaps King Michael *and* Crown Princess Margarita do not stand their ground as much as they should. Perhaps they both are sympathetic to Nicholas. Perhaps someone else near them is not.

In the past two decades, the Royal Family, as it were, has distanced itself from Princess Sophie (who was stripped of her title upon her marriage, though these were later reinstated), the former Princess Irina (who was stripped of her title for more obvious reasons) and now the former Prince Nicholas (who has been stripped of his title with no sensible explanation). Princess Marie is King Michael's youngest child and Crown Princess Margarita's goddaughter, so this may offer her some sort of protection from the treatment meted out to the rest of the family.

The King is in his golden years, and the Queen has been frail for quite some time. His Majesty seems to spend most of the year in Switzerland. This is perfectly reasonable as it does not appear that Queen Anne is in a condition to travel.

It would be wise to keep in mind that even though this proclamation would appear to emit from King Michael, that maybe His Majesty actually did not have much of a say in it.

The Princess seems divine.

A quote from the speech that she delivered at his 30th birthday party on 1 April 2015:

Both Prince Radu and I are very proud of Nicolae, who is like our spiritual son. The country hasn't adopted him much yet, but he already adopted Romania, even if he wasn't born here. And this is just wonderful.

Source: AgerPres

Then there was this lovely photo-session which was released on 26 July 2015:
Vara, la Săvârșin | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Something does not seem quite right about all of this.

Last edited:
As others have said, that's it. Any hope of a restoration is gone. It must be hereditary in this family to make the absolute worst decisions for their own well being. If it's a case of Nicolas not feeling up to it and not wanting to continue as ultimate heir, then it's on his shoulders that the monarchy will not be restored. If it's a case of others feeling he wasn't up to it, then they have shot themselves in the foot and have ruined any hope for this family to have a chance at being restored. Bah...bad situation all around. Someone screwed this up and I hope they all realize it.

*In light of the post below, and reading the communication to Marlene, it appears Nicholas did not instigate this and it was not his decision. So, I must hold the King responsible for the decision, and regardless of his reasoning, it is ultimately down to him that Nicholas was raised up, became popular, and now is demoted. Thus the King has created a bad , muddled, and unsavory situation and on his shoulders lay the responsibility for this.

Last edited:

thanks. I have an updated post. The google translation got it wrong. Michael did not say anything about end of family ... Margarita will have right to name her heir when she is head. I just spent an hour chatting with the RF's lawyer Royal Musings: More on King Michael's decision.

Thank you for the most recent update Marlene. Hope that the family is doing well in light of this recent action. Good luck to Nicholas in his future endeavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom