Ferdinand I (1865-1927) and Marie of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1875-1938)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Elisabeth, Nicholas, and Mircea had no children, Maria's eldest child wasn't born until 1923, Ileana's eldest was born in 1932. Carol had two sons - Carol Lambrino and Michael I, who would have been 2 and 1 respectively (I earlier mixed up Michael's birth year with his first accession).

The grandchildren of Ferdinand's elder brother, Wilhelm, would have been too young (the eldest being about 2 at the time) and the grandchildren of his younger brother, Karl Anton, had yet to be born.

The siblings of Ferdinand's wife, Marie, did have sons more the right age though. Her brother had no children. Her sister Victoria Melita had a son (Vladimir Kirillovich) who was 5, as was the grandson (Hans Albrecht) of her other sister, Alexandra. Marie's youngest sister, Beatrice, had sons who would have been 12 (Alvaro), 10 (Alonso), and 9 (Ataúlfo).

Well, Elisabeth, Nicholas, and Mircea had no children, Maria's eldest child wasn't born until 1923, Ileana's eldest was born in 1932. Carol had two sons - Carol Lambrino and Michael I, who would have been 2 and 1 respectively (I earlier mixed up Michael's birth year with his first accession).

The grandchildren of Ferdinand's elder brother, Wilhelm, would have been too young (the eldest being about 2 at the time) and the grandchildren of his younger brother, Karl Anton, had yet to be born.

The siblings of Ferdinand's wife, Marie, did have sons more the right age though. Her brother had no children. Her sister Victoria Melita had a son (Vladimir Kirillovich) who was 5, as was the grandson (Hans Albrecht) of her other sister, Alexandra. Marie's youngest sister, Beatrice, had sons who would have been 12 (Alvaro), 10 (Alonso), and 9 (Ataúlfo).

He looks like he could have been around 9, so perhaps he is Ataúlfo, Beatrice's son.

Is it true that the queens heart is buried separate from her body, and is in a jeweled casket?

Although Ferdinand I became King of Romania in 1914 on the death of his uncle, Carol I, the outbreak of the First World War delayed his coronation.
Ferdinand was crowned in Transylvania in 1922.

In Long to Reign?, A. W. Purdue wrote:

It was well for Queen Marie that Romania entered the war (First World War) on the side of Britain, for her Romanian patriotism co-existed with an equal fervor for her native Britain. As she wrote to her cousin George V: 'I can only tell you dear George that I held firm as only a born Englishwoman can.'

Last edited by a moderator:
He was crownded in Alba Iulia but not inside the Orthodox Cathedral but in front of it. He was a very devouted Catholic.

The boy in the above video is definitely a young King Michael. Of course he was too young to be at his grand parent's coronation, but this video is from 1929, not 1922. It is footage of celebrations at Alba Iulia to commemorate the unification of Greater Romania in 1918.

646x404.jpg

King Michael at Unification Parade 1929

incoronarea regelui Ferdinand I si a reginei Maria - YouTube
Coronation of King Ferdinand and Queen Marie 1922

incoronarea_ferdinand_maria_02.jpg

90-ani-incoronare-1.jpg

The Crown Prince and Crown Princess follow the King and Queen.

maria-si-ferdinand-i-au-devenit-regii-romaniei-mari-18275451.jpg

King Ferdinand

regina-maria-la-incoronare.jpg

18464419.jpg

Queen Marie​

The boy in the above video is definitely a young King Michael. Of course he was too young to be at his grand parent's coronation, but this video is from 1929, not 1922. It is footage of celebrations at Alba Iulia to commemorate the unification of Greater Romania in 1918.
I wonder how heavy the crown on the queens head is. She sure is bobbing her head around like crazy!

The Queen's Crown weighs 1.85 kg. I think I would be bobbing all over the place with that on my head, or maybe Queen Marie was trying to get the dangly bits to make some noise, like wind chimes.

23the+jewel372the+crown-Queen+Maria+of+Romania's+Crown.jpg

The Queen's Crown weighs 1.85 kg. I think I would be bobbing all over the place with that on my head, or maybe Queen Marie was trying to get the dangly bits to make some noise, like wind chimes.

23the+jewel372the+crown-Queen+Maria+of+Romania's+Crown.jpg

Wow! Talk about heavy!

I don't get the dangling pieces either. I wonder if there is some signing ceremony to them, other than being decorative.

Wow! Talk about heavy!

I don't get the dangling pieces either. I wonder if there is some signing ceremony to them, other than being decorative.

If I remember it correctly the crowns worn by the imperial families of the Byzantine empire featured "dangling pieces" and since the Romanians have traditionally stressed their roman heritage maybe it's in reference to that?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
The Hungarian Crown of St Stephen also has dangling bits, so I did a bit of searching and discovered they are called pendilia. As JR76 says, they were a feature of the crowns of Byzantine Emperors. I'm sure Queen Marie would have relished the idea of being a modern-day Byzantine Empress.

Crown of St Stephen with pendilia
crown.jpg

Little strange that . Stay Catholic but buried orthodox.

There has never been such a thing as "King of Hohenzollern". King Ferdinand I of Hohenzollern was King of Romania.

I wonder if all the descedants of the late Queen's children were asked about the opportunity of this action and if all were invited.

In 1922 King Ferdinand I , the Catholic Sovereign, crowned himself in Alba Iulia. Some politicians of Transylvania and the Romanian Greek-Catholic Bishops did not agree with the way the event was organized.

Last edited:
Why not back at Bran Castle?

Possibly because Bran Castle is not owned by the Royal Family and Pelişor Castle is owned by ex King Michael I of Romania.

Bran Castle is owned by Queen Maria's grandchildren and her Heart was there before the communism.

The Queen had never mentioned Peles as a possible place for her heart and I wonder of there was a meeting of her 5 living grandchildren to decide regarding the Queen's heart.

Possibly because Bran Castle is not owned by the Royal Family and Pelişor Castle is owned by ex King Michael I of Romania.

Bran Castle is owned by Queen Maria's grandchildren and her Heart was there before the communism.

Haven't the Habsburgs been trying to sell Bran for years? If so it wouldn't be that smart to have the heart buried there.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Even Pelisor could be sold by the descendants of King Michael in the future but at least Bran was one of the two castles owned by Queen Mary which is not the case for Pelisor.

King Ferdinand was not annointed by the Orthodox Metropolitan in Alba Iulia in 1922 being a Catholic King:

De ce nu a fost incoronat regele Ferdinand in Catedrala din Alba Iulia ci in afara ei | UnStory

Her home was at Bran.

How many of the late Queen's grandchildren agreed with this solution and how many of them will attend the event?

Back
Top Bottom