Old 06-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Romania. Dorothy Parker,

I took English literature in college and we spent a little bit of time studying Dorothy Parker and the Algonquin Round Table. I always remember this little ditty by Parker. Another anecdote I will never forget was when Parker once arrived at a doorway the same time as Clare Booth Luce, who wrote The Women. Luce gestured for Parker to go first and sneered, "Age before beauty." Parker sailed past Luce and said, "Pearls before swine." What a wit!

In the you tube video of Queen Marie's funeral, it shows Grand Duke Dmitri in attendance. They were related through Marie's mother but does anyone know if they had a lot of contacts through the years or what exactly was their relationship (close, friendly, etc.)?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know VM. There wasn't much written about GDD. I didn't find anything about it in the book on Queen Marie (Born to Rule) and I haven't found anything in Queen Marie's autobio.
Here's another place to look, I haven't looked fully here yet. You might find something.
Queen Marie - Regina Maria of Romania
Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

In Hannah Pakula's book "The last romantic" the only reference on GD Dmitri is when Ducky's husband GD Kyrill fancied himself head of the Romanovs in exile, while most thought GD Nicholas because of his experience and age deserved the position more. Others thought that GD Dmitri because of his involvment in the murder of Rasputin deserved more that just loyalist gratitude. Marie did not take sides, although her devotion to Ducky may have made her think GD Kirill's claim was valid.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Missy admired a lot her aunt Ella and Ella had taken care of Grand Duke Dimitri and Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Missy admired a lot her aunt Ella and Ella had taken care of Grand Duke Dimitri and Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna.
According to Marie the younger Ella didn't do a good job of it.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ella loved them and she did her best taking into account Serge didn't really help her in the education of Paul's children (from the first marriage).
Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Serene Highness

My dear Russo and Odette,

Thanks for responding. I am enjoying the link you provided, Russo, but so far, it makes no mention about Dmitri. If you get a chance, read the section on the Tsar. It shows that Marie liked Nicky but her description of Alicky demonstrates little warmth and affection for her. It appears that most of Alicky's cousins felt the same way.

Odette, what is the subject of "The Last Romantic?" Is it about Ducky?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post

Thanks for responding. I am enjoying the link you provided, Russo, but so far, it makes no mention about Dmitri. If you get a chance, read the section on the Tsar. It shows that Marie liked Nicky but her description of Alicky demonstrates little warmth and affection for her. It appears that most of Alicky's cousins felt the same way.
I need to re-read that. Thanks for reminding me. I read it like last year.
Quote:
No, that's the bio. Hannah Pakula did on Marie. I have heard it's very very good. Unforunately, my library does not carry it.
Ducky's book is this one. It's a good read.
Amazon.com: A Fatal Passion: The Story of the Uncrowned Last Empress of Russia (9780679424000): michael john sullivan: Books
Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

In her book Pakula wrote different things which are not based on documents but rather suppositions(especially Missy's private life).
Old 06-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
In her book Pakula wrote different things which are not based on documents but rather suppositions(especially Missy's private life).
WEll that's what a biographer does, write about the subject's private life. There was a lot of good Queen Marie did for Romania. She also was a very passionate woman and a couple of her children were products of that passion.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

It is about Marie of Romania. Great read!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is an interesting book but not a scientific one.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It is an interesting book but not a scientific one.
Well Marie was not a scientific project. She was a human being. I have not read the book so I cannot comment on it's accuracy. However if it presents her fairly and factually, then I will be okay with that.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

A scientific book about a Queen is a history book.Pakula's book could hardly be considered as such.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
A scientific book about a Queen is a history book.Pakula's book could hardly be considered as such.

Pakula had access to Marie's diaries which dated back to 1914 till 1938. Those were kept in the Archives of the Casa Regala in Bucharest and were supposed to be published someday. By permission of HM the Queen Elizabeth II Pakula had access and permission to publish portions of letters kept in the Royal Archives at Windsor Castle, Princess Ileana gave Pakula copies of portions of the letters. The Prince of Hohenloe-Langenburg allowed Pakula to read and publish letters written to his grandmother HRH Alexandra. HRH the Prince of Hohenzollern Sigmaringen gave Pakula permission to research and publish material found at Schloss Singmaringen and the list goes on...
Based on the above (partial list of those who co operated with Pakula) I would venture to say this is as scientific a biography as it could be.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Serene Highness

Russo my dear,

I am enjoying the link to Queen Marie. Of particular interest to me is the Indianapolis Columbia Club dinner program from the Queen's 1926 tour of the United States. I lived in Indianapolis in the 80s when I worked for the Supreme Court of Indiana and was a member of the Columbia Club. If you have never been to the Circle City, the Columbia Club is an imposing old building, right on the circle, and very impressive looking on the inside. It would have been the best possible place to host visiting royalty in the city at that time.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Russo my dear,

I am enjoying the link to Queen Marie. Of particular interest to me is the Indianapolis Columbia Club dinner program from the Queen's 1926 tour of the United States. I lived in Indianapolis in the 80s when I worked for the Supreme Court of Indiana and was a member of the Columbia Club. If you have never been to the Circle City, the Columbia Club is an imposing old building, right on the circle, and very impressive looking on the inside. It would have been the best possible place to host visiting royalty in the city at that time.
Alas! We only went to NOtre Dame when we were in Indianapolis back in 2006. We didn't get to see much of the area besides that. It was a Jaycee event and we were kept busy with seminars. Mr. Russo and I should be taking a trip out to Chicago later this year for a business class anything Queen Marie-ish we should see? Also, if you get out this way, we have Maryhill museum (I tout this all the time!) Maryhill Museum of Art
and the Embassy Suites have the Queen Marie Ballroom (Embassy Suites Hotel Portland-Downtown) that I see just about on a regular basis, Regence has seminars there. It used to be the Multnomah Hotel. Here's a little history about it.
Multnomahhotel