Death & Funeral of Her Majesty, Queen Anne of Romania - 01 August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There have been problematic royal funerals. Think about the funeral of Prince Xavier de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma: factions stood against each other. Or Princess Marie-Christine of Belgium not attending (or was refused attendance) at the funeral of her half-brother King Baudouin of the Belgians. The daughters Alicia Hala de Bielefelde and Alexia Lejeune Grinda not attending (or were refused attendance) at the funeral of their father Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands. Etc.

:previous: However, in this case neither Queen Anne nor King Michael were married to second spouses who caused a permanent breach among the offspring of two unions. Nor, so far as is known, did King Michael sire extramarital children. Therefore neither of those situations are likely to occur here.

Religious ceremony for Queen Anna, in Switzerland. Filmed exclusively by
News team TVR religious ceremony for Queen Anne. The service was conducted in the town of Morges from Switzerland. It was a restrained ceremony attended by only three of his Majesty's daughters and family and Royal House. The Royal family has allowed access to only the news team, which registered STABLE images.
Ceremonie religioasă pentru Regina Ana, în Elveţia. Imagini filmate în EXCLUSIVITATE de echipa Ştirilor TVR | Stiriletvr.ro - Site-ul de stiri al TVR

The three Princesses and Prince Radu were clearly devastated. May God give comfort to their hearts.

The death of your mother must be so painful. My mother is relatively young (she's 65), and I can't even think about losing her.

What made you sure that Queen Sofía will attend?

As is generally well known, King Michael is one of the dearest cousins of Queen Sofía.

The Queen was present at the celebrations for Michael and Anne's 60th Wedding Anniversary in 2008.

Her Majesty is extremely likely to desire being there for her cousin the Romanian King during this time of mourning.

:previous: However, in this case neither Queen Anne nor King Michael were married to second spouses who caused a permanent breach among the offspring of two unions. Nor, so far as is known, did King Michael sire extramarital children. Therefore neither of those situations are likely to occur here.

Indeed, yet there have been occasions of recent estrangement within this family (i.e. Princess Irina, her children, Prince Nicholas).

Queen Anne always strove to preserve a unified family front.

It would be wonderful if the events done in remembrance of Her Majesty are reflective of this internal part of her noble character.

I'm much relieved at the thought that King Michael might be able to make the trip for his beloved wife's funeral services in Romania. That would be wonderful and I know his heart will be here anyway.

The former King has had problems with his fourth daughter Princess Sophia: her marriage to Alain Biarneix (1998) was unacceptable for him. Only after her divorce and with the changes in the statutes of the Royal House in 2007 Princess Sophia and her daughter Elisabeth became dynasts.

The former King has had problems with his third daughter Princess Irina. With the changes in the statutes of the Royal House in 2007 Princess Irina and her children became dynasts. On 29 October 2014 however, former King Michael altered his version of the succession, stripping Princess Irina of her royal titles and removing her and her two children Michael and Angelica from his version of the succession.

The former King has had problems with his second daughter Princess Elena and with his grandson Nicholas. With the changes in the statutes of the Royal House in 2007 Princess Elena and her children became dynasts. On 1 August 2015 however former King Michael of Romania signed a document removing the title Prince of Romania and the qualification of Royal Highness from Nicholas. He also altered his version of the succession, removing his grandson from it.

All by all that sounds not exactly as a smooth and harmonious family, to be honest.

Last edited:
The former King has had problems with his ...

All by all that sounds not exactly as a smooth and harmonious family, to be honest.

Any link for gathering more information on the particulars of these problems, Duc et Pair? I know this thread is on the death of Anne, so I don't want to sideline it, however I'm quite interested in what the details of these difficulties are. Thanks.

The former King has had problems with his fourth daughter Princess Sophia: her marriage to Alain Biarneix (1998) was unacceptable for him. Only after her divorce and with the changes in the statutes of the Royal House in 2007 Princess Sophia and her daughter Elisabeth became dynasts.

The former King has had problems with his third daughter Princess Irina. With the changes in the statutes of the Royal House in 2007 Princess Irina and her children became dynasts. On 29 October 2014 however, former King Michael altered his version of the succession, stripping Princess Irina of her royal titles and removing her and her two children Michael and Angelica from his version of the succession.

The former King has had problems with his second daughter Princess Elena and with his grandson Nicholas. With the changes in the statutes of the Royal House in 2007 Princess Elena and her children became dynasts. On 1 August 2015 however former King Michael of Romania signed a document removing the title Prince of Romania and the qualification of Royal Highness from Nicholas. He also altered his version of the succession, removing his grandson from his version of the succession.

Rehashing this every chance you get, seems contrary to the spirit of the late Queen, who always strove hard to keep a unified family, and at the time of her death, it would seem far more appropriate to remember the Queen fondly and celebrate her life.

With regards to the King, I'm quite sure that if he in any way is able to attend the funeral, he will. The first message from the Royal House did not state categorically that he would not attend, but instead made it clear that he remains fragile and 'might not' be in attendance. That seems to me more preparatory so people won't be too surprised if he in fact, is not able to travel to Romania for the funeral. However, it would not surprise me at all if he is there. He is aware of his place and position more than anyone else, but if his health and state doesn't allow, Crown Princess Margareta is more than capable of representing her father and family at the somber occasion.

Queen Sofia will surely attend, as one of the closest friends of the Romanian King and Queen, and I would expect high-placed attendance from the Windsor RF as well, possible Prince Charles himself, as he has been closely linked with Romania throughout his life. The King and Queen of Sweden might also decide to attend themselves instead of sending a junior royal, as they did with the late Crown Prince Otto of Austria-Hungary, and it would most likely be Princess Beatrix who will represent the Dutch, as she has on several occasions since her abdication.
However, whomever is there, it is set to be a sad event that hasn't taken place in Romania for many decades, and so far, it seems the government and the Royal House have found very appropriate solutions for the state funeral afforded the Queen.

Last edited:
Rehashing this every chance you get, seems contrary to the spirit of the late Queen, who always strove hard to keep a unified family, and at the time of her death, it would seem far more appropriate to remember the Queen fondly and celebrate her life.

[...]

How do you know about the spirit of the late Queen? I am willing to believe that the late Queen Anne probably was the sweetest, the most peace-loving, the most unifying and utterly doting mother and grandmother of all.

At the other side she could also have been in complete agreement with her husband's pretty rigid attitudes towards her fourth daughter Princess Sophia and in her slipstream her granddaughter Elisabeth, towards her third daughter Princess Irina (no Princess anymore according Anne's husband) and in that slipstream her grandchildren Michael and Angelica, towards her grandson Nicholas (no Prince anymore according Anne's husband) and therefore in that slipstream also her second daughter Princess Elena, whom had to see and endure her son's public "punishment" for misty reasons.

Last edited:
Let us not get caught up in debates and re-hashing issues concerning the relationships within the Romanian Royal Family - this thread is to remain respectful and on-topic and members are requested also to remain respectful towards one another. Thanks you.

We will see the attendance on the very day.
Thanks Jacknch , we have to repect the late Queen , her old husband and the whole Family

No official Statement of any Church regarding the funeral?

HRH Princess Maria attended a Requiem Mass for the late Queen at Saint Francois de Sales Catholic Church in Morges.

i think matters of titles and succession doesn't indicate the privet life's of the royal's for example infanta cristina was deprived of her dukedom and was under trial but when the duke of calabria died she attended the funeral with her family like nothing happened let alone the funeral of their late mother and grandmother

Last edited:
I'm sure in this horrible time Irina and her children will likely not attend to spare and more stress to the family. Due to the past issues since grief can make unresolved issues come to light. Right now people need to realize that this woman wasn't just a Queen she was a mother and grandmother. While the country grieve for their loss of a Queen the family grieves for the family. Anne's loss will be felt in everyone who knew her. Alittle light has dimmed in the world but it is our duty as people to keep her light bright and remeber what she stood for. Especially in this world we live make it brighter not darker.

HRH Princess Maria attended a Requiem Mass for the late Queen at Saint Francois de Sales Catholic Church in Morges.

Yes indeed - here is a link from the Royal Family of Romania website with some images:

Slujbă funerară în memoria Reginei Ana la Biserica Catolică din Morges | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

The website has also provided some wonderful images depicting moments in Queen Anne's life:

http://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/viata-reginei-in-imagini/

Last edited:
Thanks Jack it looked like an intimate Mass at Saint Francois de Sales Catholic Church in Morges,I wonder will the Romanian Regalia be displayed at the Queen's Funeral?

Thanks Benjamin, nice to read a very well-worded message of condolence from the Patriarch.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the Catholic or at the Orthodox ceremony?

The article does not mention this, so we will have to wait and see who attends what part of the funeral arrangements.

The Catholic ceremonies will be probably in Bucharest. Curtea de Arges is an Orthodox Monastery/Cathedral.

Back
Top Bottom