Death & Funeral of Her Majesty, Queen Anne of Romania - 01 August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess Queen Sofía of Spain will also attend the funeral. She seems to be close to the King of Romania. Maybe Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands as well. It would be nice if the Prince of Wales could attend.

the swedish are also likely to be there and maybe the braganza also, her grandmother was a infanta of portugal .

Last edited:
I don't think it's very unusual. Many times, I think, the bonds between grandparents and grandchildren can be a whole lot stronger than those of parents and children. Doesn't mean that you don't also love your parents and siblings. I think Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark would say the same thing about Queen Ingrid.

also the prince of wales and the queen mother

I hope that Charles and perhaps Camilla can attend. The journey might be a bit much for Prince Philip. King Michael and Queen Anne spent decades in exile in Britain and there are close family links between King Michael especially and the BRF. It's just awful that the King can't attend the funeral of his beloved spouse.

The Ministry of Defense will be cooperating with the Royal House to provide the proper organization and security for the funeral of the Queen.

Informație de presã

Queen Fabiola did want very simple Funerals , her Coffin on the Ground like Pope jean Paul II and her various Decorations were not seen. You were not at Brussels at that time . A terrible stormy cold December weather
I will see if the royal attendence will be the same and it will be in August

I have seen the funeral of Queen Fabiola from A to Z, as I worked from home, with the TV on. It was a sad and desolate affair, an unworthy adieu to a great Queen. It was cold and wet weather but while the procession was under way, people on the trottoirs even did not halt to look. Total desinterest. I still feel the disbelief when thinking back to it. Even the own Belgian news channels noted the empty streets.

The royal attendance was large in Brussels. That was not the point. I expect there will be a large royal representation too, from the Hohenzollerns, the Bourbon-Parmas, the Orléans, from Denmark, etc.

There were a lot of Queens, kings and even empress of Japan at the funeral of the queen Fabiola, the weather was bad , cold, rain and wind, the persons who appreciated the queen Fabiola were aged and it was not a weather for them , the weather would be better, there would be a lot of persons in the streets of Brussel.
I think that the funeral of the queen Ann will look like to the funeral of the former empress of Austria Zita and the funeral of Otto of Austria. Before to say that there would be this king or this queen, I think we must wait who will be present , it is not the funeral of a reigning king or queen and what is written on the paper could be different of the reality.

Thanks for your thread Melina , Duc is not fair for the late Queen Fabiola .

For AD Otto he had the same Traditional Imperial Funerals as his Mother Empress Zita.
In Romania they were only 2 Queens Official Funerals and no Tradition. The Organisation of Queen Anne's Funerals and later for the King were well prepared before.

Religious ceremony for Queen Anna, in Switzerland. Filmed exclusively by
News team TVR religious ceremony for Queen Anne. The service was conducted in the town of Morges from Switzerland. It was a restrained ceremony attended by only three of his Majesty's daughters and family and Royal House. The Royal family has allowed access to only the news team, which registered STABLE images.
Ceremonie religioasă pentru Regina Ana, în Elveţia. Imagini filmate în EXCLUSIVITATE de echipa Ştirilor TVR | Stiriletvr.ro - Site-ul de stiri al TVR

Guvernul a declarat 13 august zi de doliu naţional. Mesaje de condoleanţe pentru Regina Ana | Stiriletvr.ro - Site-ul de stiri al TVR

Following the sad news of the passing of the Queen, the government has declared that the day of her funeral, August 13, will be a national day or mourning. In the midst of the sadness of the passing of a great lady, a woman who would had been a very good first lady of Romania if circumstances had allowed, it is good to see that the government of today is reading the situation well, and affording the Queen and the Royal Family the appropriate respect.
It continues to underscore how Romania is very different to other former monarchies, and that the Royal Family continues to be an important part of Romanian society.

May the late and blessed Queen rest in peace, and may the King find strength in the love and affection from people in these first days of living without his beloved wife of nearly 70 years.

dose placing the heart in other location is a royal tradition or this was queen marie personal wish ?!

This is absolutely heartbreaking. My prayers are with all of the Royal Family.

My goodness how I wish I also spoke Spanish and French at the very least. Romanian would never be on my list, but at least I could understand what Anne is answering if I could speak French.

Belgium: Lorenz and Astrid. Lorenz's dad was her cousin. They attended the couple's diamond anniversary celebrations.
Lorenz is also a member of the Royal Council, the advisory body to the King (and now to Crown Princess Margarita on his behalf).

I think the Duke and Duchess of Parma will attend the funeral and represent their cousin the King of the Netherlands. The late Queen Anne was a Princess of the House Bourbon-Parma.

Maybe Princess Beatrix will attend too: she has known King Michael and Queen Anne all her life long. Picture: Queen Beatrix receives the Romanian royal couple at Huis ten Bosch Palace in The Hague.

Religious ceremony for Queen Anna, in Switzerland. Filmed exclusively by
News team TVR religious ceremony for Queen Anne. The service was conducted in the town of Morges from Switzerland. It was a restrained ceremony attended by only three of his Majesty's daughters and family and Royal House. The Royal family has allowed access to only the news team, which registered STABLE images.
Ceremonie religioasă pentru Regina Ana, în Elveţia. Imagini filmate în EXCLUSIVITATE de echipa Ştirilor TVR | Stiriletvr.ro - Site-ul de stiri al TVR

Thanks Blog Real! This was also covered by the Royal Family of Romania website:

Rugăciune la Capela din Morges pentru Regina Ana | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

This morning at 10.15am, Crown Princess Margareta, Prince Radu, Princess Sofia and Princess Maria attended a brief service in the Queen Anne's memory in the Beausobre Chapel in Morges, Switzerland.

The service was officiated by Father Charlemagne, judicial vicar and priest of the Catholic Church in Morges. During his sermon, he spoke of the faith and warmth of Queen Anne.

The website also mentions that the royal family experienced "moments of deep emotion".

The old guard is passing away...

♔ Arjan ♔ ‏@houseoflemon Aug 1 Dordrecht, Nederland
With the death of Queen Anne of Romania, there are only four living great-grandchildren of King Christian IX of Denmark left. 1/2

They are: the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Michel of Bourbon-Parma, Christian Castenskiold and Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark. 2/2

Father Charlemagne must have been close to the late queen,it was nice to put a face to the name.

Hopefully some of the grandchildren of Queen Anne will be allowed to attend her funeral.

The old guard is passing away...

With the death of Queen Anne of Romania, there are only four living great-grandchildren of King Christian IX of Denmark left. 1/2

They are: the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Michel of Bourbon-Parma, Christian Castenskiold and Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark. 2/2

Thanks for this information - it really does feel like the last links between now and history are becoming so few and far between now.

Hopefully some of the grandchildren of Queen Anne will be allowed to attend her funeral.
Should they not all be there for the funeral of their grandmother?

Should they not all be there for the funeral of their grandmother?

That is what one would expect but sometimes family-relations are complex, of course. A lot has happened in the past decade. And how really close were Nicholas Medforth Mills, Karina Medforth Mills, Michael Kreuger, Angelica Knight née Kreuger and Elisabeth Biarneix to their respective grandparents, (step-)parents, aunts, uncle and cousins?

Last edited:
If they do all attend I think it may be the first time we've seen them all together?

I'm sure Queen Sofía will attend the funeral, as will Archduke Lorenz.

:previous: I agree. They are all adults, well youngest almost 18. No parental consent concern. I wonder if the 3 great-grandkids would, Angelica's 2 at 9 and 5 possibly, her nephew at 4 is likely a bitt little for actual funeral.

Back
Top Bottom