Crown Princess Margarita and Prince Radu news and current events part 2 (2016-)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the hardest part for people to swallow is that the decision was made without consultation with Nicholas and seemed to actively go behind his back before announcing it. Radu was part of the meeting that went on (without Nicholas' knowledge) that decided to revoke his titles and status.
Yes Nicholas may have done wrong, no doubt about that in some ways, but Margarita and Radu look cold and distant for not playing mediators between Nicholas and the King. They look cold for appearing to warmly embrace him, calling him their spiritual son when it suits but letting him get dropped without a flicker of concern later on. Or so it appears.

Is there any proof that Nicholas had no idea until the announcement and that Radu was at the meeting in any other capacity than as a member of the Royal House? Aside from Nicholas' own statements of course. Why wouldn't Radu be there? I don't much like the man but it's only natural he would be IMO. Elena was there too, why isn't she the villain of the piece?

We don't know what Nicholas did. Maybe when we do, we'll see why Margareta and Radu have "dropped" him. The common assumption seems to be that he did nothing wrong. King Michael wasn't the sort of man to take such an action without due cause.

I thought it was established he had a child out of wedlock?

Who is pressing charges against Nicholas? Is it Margareta? Is it the Household of the late King? Is it Nicholas' own mother?

[...] King Michael wasn't the sort of man to take such an action without due cause.

Eeeeeeerrrmmmmm.... he threw out his daughter Princess Sophia, and therefore she and his granddaughter Elisabeth were no members of the royal family.

The he drafted a new Royal House and proposed a new succession, et voilà: both Princess Sophia as well Elisabeth were back in grace and favour.

At the same time his daughter Princess Irina was added to the drafted new Royal House,dhe, her two children and her three grandchildren were added the proposed new succession.

In 2014 however Princess Irina was stripped from her royal titles and she, her two children and her three grandchildren were en masse removed from the line of succession.

In contrary to your view, to me former King Michael was very much so the man to take such actions indeed. It looked his favourite pastime!

:whistling:

Last edited:
Is there any proof that Nicholas had no idea until the announcement and that Radu was at the meeting in any other capacity than as a member of the Royal House? Aside from Nicholas' own statements of course. Why wouldn't Radu be there? I don't much like the man but it's only natural he would be IMO. Elena was there too, why isn't she the villain of the piece?

Nicholas was in Kenya until he was told he needed to come back to Bucharest, then the Royal Family released photos of he and Margarita and Radu at Savarsin, and then apparently he embarked on a bike trip on the Transfăgărăşan. This was where he would have been during the time that the meeting took place in Aubonne and the decision was issued.

Helen was *not* there. She was in Durham, where she lives. She was informed by the decision in a "personal letter from the King," according to the statement from the Royal House.

Margarita was also *not* at the meeting, though presumably she was at the residence at the time it happened.

https://monarhiasalveazaromania.wor...e-titlul-si-rangul-un-eseu-si-o-investigatie/

Attachments

• multumiri-nicolae-pentru-dna-rotaru.jpg
    multumiri-nicolae-pentru-dna-rotaru.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
I take what he tells reporters with a pinch of salt. He's contradicted himself before, I get the feeling he'd say anything for a headline.

Nicholas has issues. Before anything can be resolved, he has to stop playing the martyr and accept his part in all of this. A start would be to resolve the paternity issue and to make a formal public apology to his family.

Look, you can be as contrary as you wish, but it serves very little purpose other than to undermine your own arguments when you claim others seem hellbent on defending Nicholas and painting Margareta and Radu as villains, only to follow in post after post yourself, thrashing Nicholas and whitewashing H.M and H.R.H. I think you’ll find, if you read these subforums back a bit, that I for one have long defended Margareta and Radu vehemently, and think Margareta would make both a good Queen for Romania, and a worthy heir to her father. She is a decent, hard-working woman who does her best to follow in the footsteps of a rather unique, fine and complex man who never got to see the monarchy restored in his beloved lands, like many of us strongly advocated.

I think to lower the discussion to the level of ‘Nicholas has issues’ and ‘I get the feeling he would say anything for a headline’, is a level of discourse that’s meaningless, especially when you ask others to stop campaigning against the Custodian in any way. It might be helpful to realize that the only way forward in difficult or deadlocked situations is to get out of trenches and find common ground, which I think we have.

Whether or not the campaign for the monarchy in Romania which is gaining traction these days can lead to anything but chatter remains to be seen, but IF it is to move anywhere, the Royal Family must play their part and put out fires, mend wounds, and avoid creating anything but positive news that the media can report and spin. If the death of the King has taught us anything, it’s that the reverence towards the Royal Family is solid in Romania and that support for a change of governance is not a mountain too steep to climb in a nation tired of corrupt and elitist leaders who use their positions for their own gains.

The Custodian certainly has her work cut out for her in the times ahead, and let’s not forget, the Royal Family and the court is in mourning for months to come. This is a time for reflection and comtemplation, for all of us, but in this case, for the Royal Family, who for the first time find themselves without their parent, their grandparent, their King.

Who is pressing charges against Nicholas? Is it Margareta? Is it the Household of the late King? Is it Nicholas' own mother?

If you would do a simple search about the issue in the Swiss or Romanian press, you would learn that it is Princess Margarita who brought the charges.

Look, you can be as contrary as you wish, but it serves very little purpose other than to undermine your own arguments when you claim others seem hellbent on defending Nicholas and painting Margareta and Radu as villains, only to follow in post after post yourself, thrashing Nicholas and whitewashing H.M and H.R.H. I think you’ll find, if you read these subforums back a bit, that I for one have long defended Margareta and Radu vehemently, and think Margareta would make both a good Queen for Romania, and a worthy heir to her father. She is a decent, hard-working woman who does her best to follow in the footsteps of a rather unique, fine and complex man who never got to see the monarchy restored in his beloved lands, like many of us strongly advocated.

Disagreeing with you isn't being contrary. It's a difference of opinion. I'm not trashing Nicholas, neither am I painting Her Majesty to be a saint. I'm simply saying that the excuses made for Nicholas on a frequent basis here are incredibly strange and I can't see what they're based on.
I think to lower the discussion to the level of ‘Nicholas has issues’ and ‘I get the feeling he would say anything for a headline’, is a level of discourse that’s meaningless, especially when you ask others to stop campaigning against the Custodian in any way. It might be helpful to realize that the only way forward in difficult or deadlocked situations is to get out of trenches and find common ground, which I think we have.

Are either of my statements untrue?

1. Nicholas runs to the press at the drop of a hat. He meets with journalists and is very indiscrete. If he doesn't like the attention, he wouldn't do so. And this can't be put down just to the loss of his grandfather, this has happened frequently since August 2015.

2. He was dropped from the Royal House because of bad behaviour. He releases spiteful and indiscrete statements. He tried to force his way into a house SEVEN times. That doesn't sound to me like someone who isn't dealing with something more than grief.

I'm not asking anyone to stop campaigning for him and I'm not asking anyone to fawn over Margareta. I absolutely agree with everything you've said and I think it's sad we're in this position. But there are posters here who would make excuses for Nicholas if he strangled a cat. It would be grief, it would be boredom because he's not a Prince anymore, "Radu made him do it". You can't have a constructive debate about the future when Margareta and Radu are always going to be in the wrong and Nicholas is always going to be canonised. I'm not saying anyone should hate the man but at least acknowledge that he has behaved badly at least once. Not to do so suggests that Her Majesty is some cold and vindictive woman with some kind of inferiority complex which you and I know isn't true.

Ultimately, I think it's very sad indeed that at a time when we should be honouring the King, everybody was talking about Nicholas. He encouraged that too and threw in several pointed remarks at his aunt and his mother during the process. To me, that doesn't make him a very nice person. I'm not saying that would make him a bad King, plenty of Kings have been asses. But nobody here is blameless. Margareta has made mistakes, the late King made mistakes, Elena has made mistakes, Radu has made mistakes. I freely admit that but some absolutely refuse to accept that Nicholas has made mistakes. With that sort of atmosphere surrounding her, no wonder the Custodian of the Crown looks so worn down in recent months. Not only has she lost her father but now she's Maleficent too. That poor woman.

Nicholas was in Kenya until he was told he needed to come back to Bucharest, then the Royal Family released photos of he and Margarita and Radu at Savarsin, and then apparently he embarked on a bike trip on the Transfăgărăşan. This was where he would have been during the time that the meeting took place in Aubonne and the decision was issued.

Helen was *not* there. She was in Durham, where she lives. She was informed by the decision in a "personal letter from the King," according to the statement from the Royal House.

Margarita was also *not* at the meeting, though presumably she was at the residence at the time it happened.

https://monarhiasalveazaromania.wor...e-titlul-si-rangul-un-eseu-si-o-investigatie/

Fine, Elena wasn't there. But she released a statement agreeing with the move and has defended her sister and her father in a more recent statement. So why isn't she the victim of the same venom? Margareta is his aunt, Elena is his mother. Or is just that Margareta and Radu can do no right whatever they do?

This situation is absurd and sad. All I can think is how absolutely devastating this all must have been for Queen Anne. She was the only person in the situation with any sense it seems.

Fine, Elena wasn't there. But she released a statement agreeing with the move and has defended her sister and her father in a more recent statement. So why isn't she the victim of the same venom? Margareta is his aunt, Elena is his mother. Or is just that Margareta and Radu can do no right whatever they do?

This situation is absurd and sad. All I can think is how absolutely devastating this all must have been for Queen Anne. She was the only person in the situation with any sense it seems.

Helen is much less of a public figure and stays in Durham with her husband Alex most of the time. If, and it’s a bit if (because she does not speak Romanian), Helen truly wrote that statement, then she would definitely not win any “Mother of the Year” award from me. I do not admire her behaviour, but since she not the leader of this family, she does not bear the brunt of the responsibility for ensuring they act like civil adults.

Also, Anne was not “with it” while all of this was happening, thank the Lord. Much like the late Princess Mother Elisabeth of Brazil (née Bavaria), who had no clue her grandson the heir had died in that plane crash owing to her advanced dementia, the Queen was in the same situation. So, a small mercy.

Helen is much less of a public figure and stays in Durham with her husband Alex most of the time. If, and it’s a bit if (because she does not speak Romanian), Helen truly wrote that statement, then she would definitely not win any “Mother of the Year” award from me. I do not admire her behaviour, but since she not the leader of this family, she does not bear the brunt of the responsibility for ensuring they act like civil adults.

Also, Anne was not “with it” while all of this was happening, thank the Lord. Much like the late Princess Mother Elisabeth of Brazil (née Bavaria), who had no clue her grandson the heir had died in that plane crash owing to her advanced dementia, the Queen was in the same situation. So, a small mercy.

With respect, you'll take my point about how unlikely this all sounds? You're asking us to believe that Margareta or Radu faked statements made by Nicholas and by Elena. Or that the King did? What would either one possibly gain?

And yes, I agree with you on that point at least, the less Queen Anne knew about all this the better.

With respect, you'll take my point about how unlikely this all sounds? You're asking us to believe that Margareta or Radu faked statements made by Nicholas and by Elena. Or that the King did? What would either one possibly gain?

And yes, I agree with you on that point at least, the less Queen Anne knew about all this the better.

With all due respect as well, since I have personal knowledge of Radu effectively plagiarizing an entire book (...which is a violation of copyright and the law in both the USA and Europe), I do not really care how likely it seems to you. Based on his actions, it sounds like the precise thing that Radu would do in order to try and cover up a botched family ejection. The statement “by Nicholas” was posted the day after the decision was announced. Nicholas was somewhere in the countryside on a bike.

With all due respect as well, since I have personal knowledge of Radu effectively plagiarizing an entire book (...which is a violation of copyright and the law in both the USA and Europe), I do not really care how likely it seems to you. Based on his actions, it sounds like the precise thing that Radu would do in order to try and cover up a botched family ejection. The statement “by Nicholas” was posted the day after the decision was announced. Nicholas was somewhere in the countryside on a bike.

Your allegation against Prince Radu is one thing. And not something I'd comment on because I have no proof either way on that one, it's hearsay. But to follow that through to the conclusion that Radu doctored or faked statements from Nicholas and Elena is ridiculous considering that both Nicholas and his mother have had plenty of time to object or contradict. Elena I don't believe would but Nicholas? He's not shy with journalists. So why didn't he just say he didn't write that statement in August 2015? And statements released by Royal Households are often released when the individual isn't present. Do you think that Queen Elizabeth II is sat in tears every time a statement says she's shocked and saddened?

Your allegation against Prince Radu is one thing. And not something I'd comment on because I have no proof either way on that one, it's hearsay. But to follow that through to the conclusion that Radu doctored or faked statements from Nicholas and Elena is ridiculous considering that both Nicholas and his mother have had plenty of time to object or contradict. Elena I don't believe would but Nicholas? He's not shy with journalists. So why didn't he just say he didn't write that statement in August 2015? And statements released by Royal Households are often released when the individual isn't present. Do you think that Queen Elizabeth II is sat in tears every time a statement says she's shocked and saddened?

Uh, Margarita and Radu stripped Nicholas of his role and tried to pay him off to disappear. Obviously, now that he has found his own footing, he has nothing to lose by exposing their behaviour.

No no, that's your opinion. That isn't fact.

Can you answer two questions based on the allegations you made.

1. If the statement was issued by Prince Radu and not by Nicholas, why did he wait two years before announcing this?

2. If Margarita and Radu stripped Nicholas of his role and tried to pay him off to disappear, why did Nicholas accept the money and not inform the press of this?

Can you substantiate any claim you've made regarding either the statement or the person(s) responsible for his removal from the Royal House with anything other than opinion or hearsay? And I'd be genuinely interested to see if you can because I'm more than willing to look at new information that sheds new light on things.

For Duc et Pair, who apparently missed this post.

Margareta signed the complaint. IIRC, both she and Nicholas will have to appear in court. Which is why I had thought she dropped it until this news came out Sunday night.

For Duc et Pair, who apparently missed this post.

Margareta signed the complaint. IIRC, both she and Nicholas will have to appear in court. Which is why I had thought she dropped it until this news came out Sunday night.

Yes, I missed this in all the news out of Romania. The situation seems more serious than I thought. I had the idea of a shouting Nicholas, but:

"On Tuesday evening, November 7, 2017, Nicholas Medforth-Mills attempted to violate the residence of His Majesty the King at his residence in Switzerland.

Mr. Medforth-Mills forced the door of the house, involving six people in the incident, including three members of staff of His Majesty's House.

Mr. Medforth-Mills physically and verbally assaulted three people. One of them has body wounds. Finally, he was prevented from forcing home entry.

For several months His Majesty had made it clear that he refused to see his grandson, which he had repeatedly told Mr. Medforth-Mills.

During the iincident there were three nurses, who came to treat His Majesty, who could not do their duty on time".

:ermm:

Mr. Medforth-Mills physically and verbally assaulted three people. One of them has body wounds. Finally, he was prevented from forcing home entry.

This is what I was referring to earlier. The idea that Margareta would just overlook this because it won't play well in the press is ridiculous. Assuming that it's true. We'll find out soon enough of course as I assume the court hearing will be public.

Last edited:
This is what I was referring to earlier. The idea that Margareta would just overlook this because it won't play well in the press is ridiculous. Assuming that it's true. We'll find out soon enough of course as I assume the court hearing will be public.

And yet, interestingly, Nicholas is not being charged with assault by his aunt - even though the press release stated he attacked three members of the staff. Only for what I’m guessing is the Swiss equivalent of “home invasion.” Why is there a discrepancy between what the Royal Household accused him of and what they (the Household) are actually alleging to the police that he did?

The truth will come out, no doubt.

The truth will come out, no doubt.

If the three people assaulted physically were the members of the King's household then Margareta couldn't bring an assault charge. They would have to undertake that charge themselves. As you say the details will come out but based on Duc's post, this is far more serious than at first it appeared. At the very least he's guilty of forced entry - by his own admission he's guilty of that. The rest I imagine will be resolved privately.

We may assume there were security cameras in Aubonne. Plus three of the domestic staff who were embroiled, plus three nurses whom witnessed all the turmoil. If true, the plaintiffs seem to have a strong position.

Changing the subject to something more positive, I'm not sure if this article was shared here before but the portrait that accompanies it is very striking. Her Majesty looks great!

Margareta of Romania, an influential lady | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Interestingly, the article says:

"Erroneously, the foreign press reported that the Crown Princess had taken over the role of Custodian of the Crown, which is usually incumbent upon the head of the Royal Family. But in fact Her Royal Highness the Crown Princess Margareta of Romania assumed the role of Custodian of the Crown on 30 December 2007, through an act promulgated by His Majesty King Michael I of Romania in his capacity as sovereign and suzerain".

I wonder if this is the first time a style has been inherited (Majesty) but a title (King/Queen) has not?

This is my first message on the Forum, so Hello to everyone.
I would like to ask a question. Some years ago I read on another message board that Princess Margarita became seriously ill (possibly with cancer). It was during the period when she began to lose a lot of weight and was doing it very quickly.
Do you know or have you heard anything about it?

Then came the news that Nicholas was made a Prince and brought into the "royalty business" in Romania. It seemed logical that some kind of inheritance issues must have been solved quickly. Nicholas found his role and became quite popular in a short period of time. Then came the news that Princess Maria also moved to Romania and began to take part in the public "duties" of the royal family. The ousting of Prince Nicholas was sudden and out of the blue. Some days before that he was seemingly unaware of anything while posing and smiling on a bike in the park around Savarsin with Margarita and Radu standing behind him....

I have quite a lot of friends among intellectuals in Romania and none of them think that the restoration of the monarchy is a realistic option. Radu Duda is extremely unpopular and is considered to be an ambitious but shady figure with hidden agendas, who likes playing the role of a top soldier, author, prince, potential president of the republic, plus a loving husband and whatever serves his ambitions. Given the growing popularity of the young prince and the unpopularity of the "boss" in the family (no, the boss was not the king himself), the conflicts could be foreseen in the system.

Nowadays there are rumours (also in the papers) that Princess Maria has an affair with Duda's brother--theoretically a family man--who was invited to travel on the royal train with the coffin, while the king's grandson was forbidden to do so. I don't know if these rumors are true or not, but the "popularity" of Margarita and Radu is reaching negative records these days in Romania, that's for sure. Some twists and turns may as well easily happen in the near future or a bit later.

I would like to ask a question. Some years ago I read on another message board that Princess Margarita became seriously ill (possibly with cancer). It was during the period when she began to lose a lot of weight and was doing it very quickly.

Welcome Krisz, hope you enjoy this place. :flowers:

I too heard rumours that Her Majesty had been ill at one time and this was the reason for her weight loss but I don't think there's ever been any confirmation or serious reason to suggest that she had a serious medical condition.

Then came the news that Nicholas was made a Prince and brought into the "royalty business" in Romania. It seemed logical that some kind of inheritance issues must have been solved quickly. Nicholas found his role and became quite popular in a short period of time. Then came the news that Princess Maria also moved to Romania and began to take part in the public "duties" of the royal family. The ousting of Prince Nicholas was sudden and out of the blue. Some days before that he was seemingly unaware of anything while posing and smiling on a bike in the park around Savarsin with Margarita and Radu standing behind him....

I have quite a lot of friends among intellectuals in Romania and none of them think that the restoration of the monarchy is a realistic option. Radu Duda is extremely unpopular and is considered to be an ambitious but shady figure with hidden agendas, who likes playing the role of a top soldier, author, prince, potential president of the republic, plus a loving husband and whatever serves his ambitions. Given the growing popularity of the young prince and the unpopularity of the "boss" in the family (no, the boss was not the king himself), the conflicts could be foreseen in the system.

Nowadays there are rumours (also in the papers) that Princess Maria has an affair with Duda's brother--theoretically a family man--who was invited to travel on the royal train with the coffin, while the king's grandson was forbidden to do so. I don't know if these rumors are true or not, but the "popularity" of Margarita and Radu is reaching negative records these days in Romania, that's for sure. Some twists and turns may as well easily happen in the near future or a bit later.

Margarita may well have been ill - there have been whispers about that off and on for some years.

Helen and Mia's drastic weight loss was due to having bariatric surgery. It has worked very well for them, and Mia looks like a completely different person now than she did about a decade ago. After moving to Romania, she also had a (probably minor) dental procedure, which corrected one of her front teeth that was slightly discoloured and had grown in rather sideways.

Nowadays, Mia could almost pass as a younger clone of Margarita...which is rather appropriate since the eldest sister is the godmother of the youngest. ?

Margarita may well have been ill - there have been whispers about that off and on for some years.

Helen and Mia's drastic weight loss was due to having bariatric surgery. It has worked very well for them, and Mia looks like a completely different person now than she did about a decade ago. After moving to Romania, she also had a (probably minor) dental procedure, which corrected one of her front teeth that was slightly discoloured and had grown in rather sideways.

Nowadays, Mia could almost pass as a younger clone of Margarita...which is rather appropriate since the eldest sister is the godmother of the youngest. ?

Most of the family seem to have had a bit of a brush up in the last decade. I wonder if it's a case of "folleting"? (Something Margareta could have picked up from Gordon Brown perhaps? ;)). The Labour Party in the UK sent their female MPs and candidates for makeovers before the 1997 election. Women with brown hair were told what colours to avoid, women with red hair were told what colours to wear, short women were told to avoid skirts, tall women were told to wear only trousers. The rules were set by a lady called Barbara Follet and the process became known as 'Folleting'. It proved successful enough to deliver "Blair's Babes" in 1997 and other institutions have since used the same process to prepare someone for increased media appearances or interest.

I could be barking up the wrong tree of course but certainly there's no doubt that collectively the ladies of the Royal Family seem to have all gotten a little smarter and more polished.

Thanks to both of you for these interesting details.

Crown Princess Margarita and Prince Radu are being given sixty days to move out of Elisabeta Palace.

From Libertatea:

"Princess Margareta, who is the successor of King Michael, who died on December 5, 2017, has sixty days to move out of Elisabeta Palace.

In February, the law governing the residence of the Elisabeta Palace, which was offered to King Michael during his lifetime, expires.

Thus, according to Law 406 / 10.07 / 2001 (Law on the Granting of Rights to the Chief of the Romanian State) it is stipulated that, "the family members of the holder [i.e. King Michael] enjoy the right of free use, according to art. 2 lit. a) during the lifetime of the holder and must release the dwelling within sixty days of the holders death."

The King's family should leave Elisabeta Palace by the beginning of February, unless parliamentarians vote for the bill to give the Royal House an NGO status that allows them to continue to use the residence."

Source: https://www.libertatea.ro/stiri/pri...a-momente-grele-pentru-familia-regala-2081851

Crown Princess Margarita and Prince Radu are being given sixty days to move out of Elisabeta Palace.

From Libertatea:

"Princess Margareta, who is the successor of King Michael, who died on December 5, 2017, has sixty days to move out of Elisabeta Palace.

In February, the law governing the residence of the Elisabeta Palace, which was offered to King Michael during his lifetime, expires.

Thus, according to Law 406 / 10.07 / 2001 (Law on the Granting of Rights to the Chief of the Romanian State) it is stipulated that, "the family members of the holder [i.e. King Michael] enjoy the right of free use, according to art. 2 lit. a) during the lifetime of the holder and must release the dwelling within sixty days of the holders death."

The King's family should leave Elisabeta Palace by the beginning of February, unless parliamentarians vote for the bill to give the Royal House an NGO status that allows them to continue to use the residence."

Source: https://www.libertatea.ro/stiri/pri...a-momente-grele-pentru-familia-regala-2081851

In all fairness, this is just an account of the current arrangements, based on the law as it stands, and not based on anything recently said or announced by any official. I think it is fair to assume that this arrangement will be sorted in due course and well before the current law expires, and should the new law not have come into effect in time, more than likely the Royal Family will be given the clear privately to remain in place until the more permanent fix is in.

It would be unseemly at this stage in the middle of heavy court mourning to announce much, but I am quite sure that behind the scenes, the Royal Family has been assured that this will be sorted and that there is no cause to start packing. After all, parliament is about to make clear, in law, that the Royal Family is again to be a fixture of Romanian official life. It would be a pointless start to that process, to evict them from the Elisabeth Palace because of the arrangements made with regards to the late King, when the same palace will be theirs to use for a proposed 49 years onwards, as soon as the new law is in place.

However, it would be helpful if this would be publicly clarified asap, so these kinds of articles would not be put in print, and add to any confusion some might have over the status of the Royal House going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom