Restoration of Monarchy in Bulgaria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is support for a return of the monarchy to Bulgaria?

I also wondered if Boris and Beltran are interested in the monarchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The president spoke about the risk of a real division between royalists ans republicans reacting at the prayers for the King decided by the Orthodox Church.

I think and the bulgarian royals its not intrested so much to the return of monarchy.

Because i beleive and maybe i have wrong how any of the children to King Simeon except maybe to Princess Kalina going rarely to Bulgaria and nt participating in various events there. And now with the death of Crown Prince Kardam i don't know if done something for this maybe a memorial.

I know all that for King Simeon. My question is for the children to the king.

Yes that i mean what i say i'ts not interested for the monarchy. They are more spanish than Bulgarian.

I have the same queries. I beleive maybe we see soon now after Boris is the heir.

Why do you believe this?

The former King of Bulgaria acted as Prime Minister of the present republican state of Bulgaria. The only European King in modern history whom, after being exiled, returned to political power. Upon taking office as Prime Minister, he took an oath to observe, maintain and protect the republican constitution.... In 2009 the party of the former King lost all seats in Parliament and Simeon ended his political activities.

So this means, as the only one of all once exiled former Kings, Simeon was the only one whom held real power again. He guided Bulgaria into the EU, into NATO and tried to fight the widespread corruption and nepotism. He however never hinted to a restoration of the monarchy. Since his hard defeat in 2009 (no any seat won in the elections) there seem no sufficient support for a restoration of the monarchy.

So I would say: as no one else, this former King had the chance to restore, for an example into a fully ceremonial role (à la Sweden). He choose for real power as Prime Minister, but as we all know, usually leaders of government only enjoy a very short time of support...

I know all that for King Simeon. My question is for the children to the king.

If King Simeon can forget a restoration, why would his grandsons Boris and Beltrán have better prospects? Both his grandsons Boris and Beltrán are born in Spain, live in Spain and most likely are more Spanish than Bulgarian. The same counts for their uncles Kirill, Kubrat and Konstantin: all born in Spain, all raised in Spain, all living in Spain, all married with Spanish partners...

:flowers:

The Prince Boris should do just that. To continue the traditions as says King and frequently visited the country if it wants to have any hope of monarchy if and when return.

There were big chances for a restoration of the monarchy. Which former King can claim a direct electoral mandate? Former King Simeon became Prime Minister of Bulgaria but such an executive role only leads to division and partisanship. In fact we can say that the former King himself has blown up any prospect of a restoration by his own unlucky choices.

I completely agree with you!!!

Tsardom of Bulgaria for Bulgarians?

Any polls lately? Or is Bulgaria just a complete lost cause at this point?

-Frozen Royalist

I'd like to know. I know little about the Royalist cause in Bulgaria.

You know whenever I think about Bulgaria, all I think is what in the world was Simeon thinking. Politician really? Did he honestly think that dividing people would do Bulgaria any good what so ever, who in their right mind wants to be a politician? The purpose of a monarch is to be above politics and unite the people not to do whatever he did.

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. I can't help but think if time travel becomes a thing I'm going to a lot for the royalist cause, but chances are there might be "time travel police" to stop that from happening.

If HRH Prince Boris moves to Bulgaria and if he speaks the language he could become popular and the Monarchy could become a solution again.

Forget it. If ever any country had a chance, it was Bulgaria. But former King Simeon became Prime Minister, the most partisan political mandate possible, and blew up any chances. As a politician with a direct mandate Simeon was directly accountable for every act of Government. Not to mention that by becoming the highest servant of the Republic of Bulgaria, he ended any monarchal aspirations as he swore loyalty to the Republic and the republican Constitution.

Forget it. If ever any country had a chance, it was Bulgaria. But former King Simeon became Prime Minister, the most partisan political mandate possible, and blew up any chances. As a politician with a direct mandate Simeon was directly accountable for every act of Government. Not to mention that by becoming the highest servant of the Republic of Bulgaria, he ended any monarchal aspirations as he swore loyalty to the Republic and the republican Constitution.

He had never given up his dynastic right and never abdicated.

He had never given up his dynastic right and never abdicated.

Yeah... "He had never given up his dynastic right and never abdicated". Dream on Cory. Welcome to reality. A former King who becomes Prime Minister of the Bulgarian republic, to serve under a President of the republic Bulgaria, to obey the republican Constitution of Bulgaria? Of course by all his acts he has taken a bazooka and blew every bit of any monarchal movement in shatters.

Had Simeon never given up his dreams, never abdicated and never given up his rights, but his had his son Prince Kardam been the Prime Minister of the republican state, under a republican Constitution and under a republican President, it was enough to get him hanged for high treason, enough to get Kardam removed out of the Royal House and the succession.

There are actions in words and in deeds. By being Prime Minister Simeon own-handedly buried the crown.

Last edited:
Yeah... "He had never given up his dynastic right and never abdicated". Dream on Cory. Welcome to reality. A former King who becomes Prime Minister of the Bulgarian republic, to serve under a President of the republic Bulgaria, to obey the republican Constitution of Bulgaria? Of course by all his acts he has taken a bazooka and blew every bit of any monarchal movement in shatters.

Had Simeon never given up his dreams, never abdicated and never given up his rights, but his had his son Prince Kardam been the Prime Minister of the republican state, under a republican Constitution and under a republican President, it was enough to get him hanged for high treason, enough to get Kardam removed out of the Royal House and the succession.

There are actions in words and in deeds. By being Prime Minister Simeon own-handedly buried the crown.
Certainly a King should not be prime minister but Prince Boris is different,is young and could be a symbol for the future.
Without having dreams and ideals would be very different.

:previous:
What future are you referring to? I agree with Duc_et_Pair noting that King Simeon annihilated the restoration chances. Economist (2001) grasped the situation correctly.
Had the ex-king stayed out of government, pulling strings from behind the stage, his chance of recovering the throne (an ambition he has not acknowledged but probably quietly harbours) was not bad. He might, if the constitutional court had allowed him, have had a good shot at winning the presidency when it came up for the voters' choice this autumn. Indeed, he looks rather well suited to being a constitutional monarch. But now he will be enmeshed in the grubbiest of party politics. It will be hard. In a year's time, perhaps earlier, he may look much less regal—and much less able to work miracles.
The wrong job? | The Economist

Last edited:
Thank you for the enlighting article, Al Bina. Everything The Economist warned for did become true. One can not be Prime Minister and remain a figure above the parties. That former King Simeon did not see this coming is pretty telling for his naivity or his unrealistic view.

Reload Bulgaria is a populist political party in Bulgaria. In June 2014, Barekov declared his support for the restoration of the Bulgarian Monarchy and Simeon II as Tsar of Bulgaria.
He vowed that should his party win a general election, he would introduce referenda on a number of issues, including the restoration of the monarchy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reload_Bulgaria

And what about Tsar Simeon's successor. Has prince Boris/the prince of Turnovo shown any interest in being the tsar of Bulgaria at some point in the future? In that case he should probably started taking additional classes in Bulgarian so he at least speaks the language.

Well other then the fact that the current pretender to the throne virtually shows zero interest, how does his fellow Bulgarians feel about the subject? Reload Bulgaria is the only political party I'm aware of that'd support the idea of the Republic of Bulgaria becoming a restored Tsardom/Kingdom of Bulgaria, are there other organizations? How are the opinion polls from the people or the attitudes of other members of the Bulgarian Royal Family? Hopefully that should shed some light on the matter of a restored Bulgarian Kingdom/Tsardom in my opinion.

-Frozen Royalist

Boris just recently finished his degree in Fine Arts Sculpture and he seemed to look very serious and determined. Do you think we should expect him to be on the scene at the very least? I've seen the Tsar and Tsaritsa more this year and they are not getting any younger.

Boris just recently finished his degree in Fine Arts Sculpture and he seemed to look very serious and determined. Do you think we should expect him to be on the scene at the very least? I've seen the Tsar and Tsaritsa more this year and they are not getting any younger.

Which scene? The Prince of Turnovo, does he even live in Bulgaria?

Back
Top Bottom