The UAE Royalty 2: June 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, I promise we will have fun :p

He's married, right. Well, that's okay. I'm not bothered. It's completely normal. I'm very, very, very happy for the guy.

As Sting would say "I'm so happy, I could cry"

A couple of years ago I read an article from a magazine in Kentucky that was about the sheikhs interest in racing. The article was quite good giving a few personal insights into the brothers. Nothing about the boys, though. I will try to locate it-it was titled something like 'Sport of Sheikhs'. It essentially reinforced what I already felt-that they have no interest in US racing outside of the TC-which is quite a pity.

Nope, she isn't. Her fullname is Sheikha Mooza bint Mohammed bin Butti Al Hamed. Here's the link.

The article

"Laughing through my tears"

I'm never going to get that song out of my head.

And Hamed isn't a royal name, I don't think. And she's a 'sheikha'!?!?! Where is Layla?

Now I'm really laughing. Where is Layla ha? As if I am the in-house expert....lol.

Well, I have heard of the name Al-Hamed. There are a few Sheikhs with that name.... wait....I'll just check.....

Sheikh Mohammed bin Butti al Hamed (Sheikha Mozah's daddy), Abu Dhabi Ruler's Representative in the Western Region of Abu Dhabi and Chairman of the Municipality and Town Planning Department.

Then there's Sheikh Ahmed bin Hamed (but this could be Sheikh Hamed bin Zayed's son), President's Personal Advisor.

Some of the Sheikh titles are not necessarily of the ruling families. There a few families in Dubai (and for the life of me I cannot remember any of them right now) who are Sheikhs (because they represent their tribes) and not necessarily Princes as such. Maybe this is one of them... Another thing: the King of Saudi Arabia can bestow the title of Sheikh on whoever they choose. Something along the same lines as Queen Elizabeth and Sirs/Knights etc. One such person is the Lebanese prime minister, Rafiq Hariri. He was "knighted" as a Sheikh by the Saudi King.

I think the Dubaian non-Maktoum sheikh is a Bin-Bah (?.... not sure of the name). Everytime he gets called anywhere, even when in the presence of the ruling sheikhs, he gets called as Sheikh so-and-so Bin Bah. He was also a Saudi knighted Sheikh. I have heard that this ticks SM off.

Coca cola probably knows better. Can you please shed some light on the Al-Hamed deal? My assumptions are done based on analysis & logic.

Everything ticks off SM....

My favorite is the monthly meetings with Baba Zayed, Shk Khalifa and SM. I've never seen grown men give each other dirtier looks. And the whole while Baba Zayed is looking pleased as punch.

Bin Bah-never heard of the name. But the Hamed name is well known.

Oh man, what's wrong with Sheikh Zayed? Aren't 14 wives enough for him? And what about Mo? "It does not matter what your title is, it's about what you do. One should not look at titles, but rather at achievements."..... "Rank is unimportant." Oh, yeah!

Are you talking about the majlis, Silver Charm? How often do they have them? Can anyone attend it (them), can I? And where can I catch a glimpse of those Sheikhas? Anyone? Do they have teaparties like the Saudi Princesses? Do you think they'd let me in? :unsure:

hi...
I wonder if Layla was thinking of the Bin Sulayem family.....
Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem and his brother the rally driver... perhaps??

Yippiie, I am so happy LTR works! :lol: I have go and tell everyone! Silver Charm, tell me more about the Sheikh Hamdan v. Dettori incident. Is Dettori the Italian equestrian wo used to ride Sheikh Mo's horse Millennium? :innocent:

hey guys
the al hameds are distantly related from the al nayhans and are from the tribe of bani yas like baba zayed. Moza papa is basically the ruler of al ain, even though al ain isnt an emirate i suppose it needs some royalty to be there!!! I heard he is supposed to be a good guy!
;) :wacko:

Originally posted by La la@Jun 4th, 2004 - 11:51 am
Yippiie, I am so happy LTR works! :lol: I have go and tell everyone! Silver Charm, tell me more about the Sheikh Hamdan v. Dettori incident. Is Dettori the Italian equestrian wo used to ride Sheikh Mo's horse Millennium? :innocent:
Okay, it's Shk Hamdan bin Rashid (the old guy-not hottie). A couple of years ago Dettori was having a good run of bad luck. Everytime he saddled a horse in a race it seemed to run straight up the butt of the horse in front of it. I was starting to question Dettori's abilities as a rider. And as I'm sure you are aware no one really asked me my opinion. Well, anyways, I was flipping through the local newspaper in Dubai and Shk Hamdan was attending some dhow race. He was blabbing on and on about football and dhow racing and then a journalist asked him about Dettori and Godolphin's campaign for the summer. I don't remember the exact quote but it was something to the effect 'I'm glad he's not riding for me'.

This just adds to my already over inflated view of Shk Hamdan as a racehorse owner. A jockey can't win a race a horse can't run but a jockey can easily lose a race a horse can run.

Dettori is Godolphin's retained rider he is having a big weekend right now. Keep an eye on racingpost.co.uk for the latest.

the Mak brothers lost today at epsom. have yet to see the photos of the race or brothers. keiran fallon won the race by 7 lengths. k. fallon IMO is one of the best riders on the circuit today. he's brillant. i wish for everything the Mak brothers would dump frankie and give fallon whatever he wants-he's absolutely worth it.

oh...royalty....yeah....will get to discussing that soon.

No worries. I know it is not Hamdan da hottie (or amongst the hotties) :rolleyes: I'm sure that Mo must have noticed there was no fire in that guy. How come he let him ride his favorite horse then? I remember I saw one such event. In one of the photos Dettori was kissing Mo; Sheikh Hamdan was not looking that way. I can't find that picture right now. Well, here it is. You've probably seen it before. ;)

Kinda cute

One helluva happy family

Originally posted by La la@Jun 4th, 2004 - 4:59 pm
How come he let him ride his favorite horse then? I remember I saw one such event. In one of the photos Dettori was kissing Mo
Why does the sun not shine at night?
Why does the rain not fall in the desert?
Why does Shk Hazza not respond to my email?

Our job on this earth is not to ask why but accept the way it is.

I have absolutely no friggin' clue what is going on with the Shk Mo/Dettori love fest. Those two guys would name their kids after each other if their wives would allow it. I don't understand why such a powerful stable would sink so much into a guy who is good but not great.

The whole concept just gives me a headache. :sick:

Originally posted by cocacola@Jun 4th, 2004 - 12:53 pm
hey guys
the al hameds are distantly related from the al nayhans and are from the tribe of bani yas like baba zayed. Moza papa is basically the ruler of al ain, even though al ain isnt an emirate i suppose it needs some royalty to be there!!! I heard he is supposed to be a good guy!
;) :wacko:
CCC:

What gives with Said Harib and Mohd Al Abbar having 'H.E.' before their names. Have seen it in print a few times.....

What is it about?

Do you have Sheikh Hazza's email address? Where did you find it? ;) I want to mail some of my favorite sheikhs too. You're right, life is not fair. :cry:

Hi Everyone, Good to see LTR up and running again!
I have a question: How would one begin to learn all about horseracing? Such as sites and magazines, etc....

Originally posted by QueenB@Jun 4th, 2004 - 6:27 pm
Hi Everyone, Good to see LTR up and running again!
I have a question: How would one begin to learn all about horseracing? Such as sites and magazines, etc....
ask me!?!?!?!

tell me what you want to know-i will tell you everything i've learned over the years. horseracing people are like that-they take care of their own.

Thank you Silver Charm :flower: ! It's just I've heard so much about the sport - and I am finding I am really fascinated by it :flower: ! I don't know where to begin! You know more than I do about Horseracing.... guess - let's start at the beginning... I really don't know what to ask :blush: Whatever you'd like to share about it would be greatly appreciated :flower: !

If you don't know much start by reading 'Horse Heaven' by Jane Smiley. It gives a nice overview of the whole industry. The book is fiction but it's well researched.

The main online sites are....
English
www.racingpost.co.uk
www.sportinglife.co.uk

American
www.bloodhorse.com
www.thoroughbredtimes.com (good articles for newbies)
www.drf.com (very technical though)

The websites are really industry specific. They are difficult to read if you don't know the language and history of racing. You could always go to the races but make sure you go with someone who knows what is going on. If you live in N.America I would be happy to take you to the track.

This Saturday is a big day in racing, Smarty Jones is trying to win the Belmont Stakes meaning he will win the Triple Crown. The Triple Crown (TC) is a series of races that starts with the Kentucky Derby then the Preakness (I watched this as I nursed my daughter in the hospital hours after giving birth) and finally the Belmont. Only about 10-15 horses in the history of racing have won the Triple Crown. There is NOTHING more prestigious on this planet in horseracing. Most people think the TC has more to do with God, fate and destiny than actual horses, jockeys and trainers.

Also in England (I don't know what your focus is) this weekend is the Epsom Derby. It is a VERY prestigious race. Following the Epsom Derby is Royal Ascot and then something else after that-I forget.

But at the end of the season in October is the Prix de Longchamp in Paris and the Breeders Cup in the US. These two end of season races are essentially where the best horses of the season go at it for the last time before being given a winter holiday. It is my opinion these are two of the best races being run on the planet.

Okay, this is probably way too much information....I don't mean to flood you with information but I love racing. I'm more than happy to help you out-just let me know.

I was going to go to Belmont today, but my plans fell through. :( Did everyone find the website we were hanging out at while LTR was down?

Originally posted by pallas athina@Jun 5th, 2004 - 3:25 pm
I was going to go to Belmont today, but my plans fell through. :( Did everyone find the website we were hanging out at while LTR was down?
you still have time. it's 4 now and the race is 6:30.

don't worry get a better view from the tv.

also the mak boys lost today epsom. k. fallon rode another winner!!

Thank you so much for all the info Silver Charm :flower: ! I will definitely look into all the information you gave me... I'm not really sure what my focus is - as I said, learn as much as I can, history, goals of the sport and work my way up from there. How did you get into it and how long have you been in the sport? Do you attend races often and what is that like?
And thank you so much for offering your help... :flower:
I live in North America.... it's a sport that's starting to be mentioned on the local news where I am, in the same segments as Basketball or Baseball.... so I think it's popularity is growing somewhat...

Thanks, Bibi :flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom