The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Courtier

Do you have Sheikh Hazza's email address? Where did you find it? I want to mail some of my favorite sheikhs too. You're right, life is not fair.

Old 06-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Aristocracy

Hi Everyone, Good to see LTR up and running again!
I have a question: How would one begin to learn all about horseracing? Such as sites and magazines, etc....

Old 06-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by QueenB@Jun 4th, 2004 - 6:27 pm
Hi Everyone, Good to see LTR up and running again!
I have a question: How would one begin to learn all about horseracing? Such as sites and magazines, etc....
ask me!?!?!?!

tell me what you want to know-i will tell you everything i've learned over the years. horseracing people are like that-they take care of their own.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you Silver Charm :flower: ! It's just I've heard so much about the sport - and I am finding I am really fascinated by it :flower: ! I don't know where to begin! You know more than I do about Horseracing.... guess - let's start at the beginning... I really don't know what to ask Whatever you'd like to share about it would be greatly appreciated :flower: !
Old 06-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Aristocracy

Where does a beginner such as myself, begin?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Nobility

If you don't know much start by reading 'Horse Heaven' by Jane Smiley. It gives a nice overview of the whole industry. The book is fiction but it's well researched.

The main online sites are....
English
www.racingpost.co.uk
www.sportinglife.co.uk

American
www.bloodhorse.com
www.thoroughbredtimes.com (good articles for newbies)
www.drf.com (very technical though)

The websites are really industry specific. They are difficult to read if you don't know the language and history of racing. You could always go to the races but make sure you go with someone who knows what is going on. If you live in N.America I would be happy to take you to the track.

This Saturday is a big day in racing, Smarty Jones is trying to win the Belmont Stakes meaning he will win the Triple Crown. The Triple Crown (TC) is a series of races that starts with the Kentucky Derby then the Preakness (I watched this as I nursed my daughter in the hospital hours after giving birth) and finally the Belmont. Only about 10-15 horses in the history of racing have won the Triple Crown. There is NOTHING more prestigious on this planet in horseracing. Most people think the TC has more to do with God, fate and destiny than actual horses, jockeys and trainers.

Also in England (I don't know what your focus is) this weekend is the Epsom Derby. It is a VERY prestigious race. Following the Epsom Derby is Royal Ascot and then something else after that-I forget.

But at the end of the season in October is the Prix de Longchamp in Paris and the Breeders Cup in the US. These two end of season races are essentially where the best horses of the season go at it for the last time before being given a winter holiday. It is my opinion these are two of the best races being run on the planet.

Okay, this is probably way too much information....I don't mean to flood you with information but I love racing. I'm more than happy to help you out-just let me know.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Nobility

I actually think it is called Prix de Arc de Triomphe held at Longchamp.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:25 PM
Aristocracy

I was going to go to Belmont today, but my plans fell through. :( Did everyone find the website we were hanging out at while LTR was down?
Old 06-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by pallas athina@Jun 5th, 2004 - 3:25 pm
I was going to go to Belmont today, but my plans fell through. :( Did everyone find the website we were hanging out at while LTR was down?
you still have time. it's 4 now and the race is 6:30.

don't worry get a better view from the tv.

also the mak boys lost today epsom. k. fallon rode another winner!!
Old 06-06-2004, 02:54 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you so much for all the info Silver Charm :flower: ! I will definitely look into all the information you gave me... I'm not really sure what my focus is - as I said, learn as much as I can, history, goals of the sport and work my way up from there. How did you get into it and how long have you been in the sport? Do you attend races often and what is that like?
And thank you so much for offering your help... :flower:
I live in North America.... it's a sport that's starting to be mentioned on the local news where I am, in the same segments as Basketball or Baseball.... so I think it's popularity is growing somewhat...

Thanks, Bibi :flower:
Old 06-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Courtier

I just read on Roberts page that Sheikh Rashid has an American girl-friend since some years back I don't know anything about Hamdan's marital status. I'm pretty sure that the relationship will not end in marriage but still (by happenstance) what if Rashid wanted to take her hand; would Sheikh Mo ever consent to his eldest son marrying an American?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by La la@Jun 6th, 2004 - 9:45 am
I just read on Roberts page that Sheikh Rashid has an American girl-friend since some years back I don't know anything about Hamdan's marital status. I'm pretty sure that the relationship will not end in marriage but still (by happenstance) what if Rashid wanted to take her hand; would Sheikh Mo ever consent to his eldest son marrying an American?
If the girlfriend's daddy was rich and powerful-probably. However, I seriously doubt it if she was a commoner.

Also I saw a photo of Shk Mansoor-the lucky groom for one of Shk Mo's daughter. Quite a nice looking guy but definately a few years older than her.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by QueenB@Jun 6th, 2004 - 2:54 am
Thank you so much for all the info Silver Charm :flower: ! I will definitely look into all the information you gave me... I'm not really sure what my focus is - as I said, learn as much as I can, history, goals of the sport and work my way up from there. How did you get into it and how long have you been in the sport? Do you attend races often and what is that like?
And thank you so much for offering your help... :flower:
I live in North America.... it's a sport that's starting to be mentioned on the local news where I am, in the same segments as Basketball or Baseball.... so I think it's popularity is growing somewhat...

Thanks, Bibi :flower:
Start by reading Horse Heaven. It lays everything out for you in a nice format.

However, my intro to racing was a boring as hell job at EDS where I used to leave in the middle of the day for 'off site meetings' and go to the track at Lone Star. There is a big difference between going to the everyday races and going to the 'big' races. Completely different clientele & atmosphere.

Read the book. It's a good read.

Also there is a book about the Maktoums. It is called 'Desert to the Derby'. It's an awful book and it was made without the cooperation of the Maktoum family so the whole thing is like reading the sports pages. Not informative at all. The Mak family is so powerful no one will talk about them on the record for fear of retribution (namely not doing business with them).

Also the Godolphin website is incredibly informative if you read it knowing that most of it is self serving hype.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Courtier

Are they already wedded or are they going to? I believe that the Emiratis get married as soon as possible after the engagement (asking for the bride's hand). Is he about 5 years older than her? I thought the bin Zayeds get married at an early age. I remember that Mohammed bin Zayed was only 20 when he first got married and so did Hamdan bin Zayed.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by La la@Jun 6th, 2004 - 10:02 am
Are they already wedded or are they going to? I believe that the Emiratis get married as soon as possible after the engagement (asking for the bride's hand). Is he about 5 years older than her? I thought the bin Zayeds get married at an early age. I remember that Mohammed bin Zayed was only 20 when he first got married and I think the same goes for Hamdan bin Zayed.
No telling.

The only way to find out is to ask someone directly involved.

Anyways isn't kinda creepy to be marrying the brother of someone your father wanted to marry?
Old 06-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Courtier

You have probably already figured this out: I think Mo's men have spotted Rashid with his ladylove since long and gossiped about it to Mo, but Mo has probably turned a deaf ear to that simply because men-can-do-whatever-they-want and Rashid will ultimately marry a Sheikha anyways.

How unfair to sheikha Shamsa!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by La la@Jun 6th, 2004 - 12:22 pm
You have probably already figured this out: I think Mo's men have spotted Rashid with his ladylove since long and gossiped about it to Mo, but Mo has probably turned a deaf ear to that simply because men-can-do-whatever-they-want and Rashid will ultimately marry a Sheikha anyways.

How unfair to sheikha Shamsa!
Doubt it. If she's a babe-I'm sure SRashid would rub his father's face in his successful conquest. But you're right. He'll marry a sheikha and will probably carry on with his girlfriend.

Like father, like son.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Nobility

There are two big weddings coming up in the Emirates.

1) Shk Mo to Princess Haya
2) Shk Mo's daughter to Shk Zayed's son

Both of them will undoubtedly be over-the-top affairs.

Which one would you like to be invited to?

Think decorations, gossip, royal spotting & pure 'oh wow'........
Old 06-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Humble

None...

I am NOT impressed by Golf royalities at all
Old 06-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Courtier

So they will have a 'wedding' or rather a 'reception' with gala and gaiety galore.

Sheikh Mo's and PHaya's 'wedding' of course. I'd LOVE to see/watch their wedding ceremony cuz everyone knows about Mo's creativity: if he will be paying even as much as an ounce of attention to her at all on their wedding day. I suppose they won't broadcast it. I have never been to an Emirati wedding before (I haven't even been to the Middle East). Have you? Do you think Hind will come? Will his children attend it?