The UAE Royalty 1: May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my father and my brothers wears national dress because it normal to wear I can not think to see them wears any thing ells

Never read the book you're referencing. Did read a book about Saudi Aramaco about the corporate history. Not much about lifestyles of the rich and infamous but a good read about the interdependence of the Middle East monarchies and D.C. Also it is well known that the US was going to invade Abu Dhabi during the oil embargo but never did-thank goodness.

Alot of people read the "Princess" books about a Saudi Princess. I think they are absolutely crap. They are very sensational and dripping with details about wallpaper and chandaliers but give absolutely z-e-r-o cultural references that mean anything besides dollar value.

I know the Arab Culture classes at AUD are taught off of Bernard Lewis' books and they are taught by an Iraqi who says they are pretty decent read. Don't know how accurate a picture they paint of the ME, though. I would naturally be suspect of anything written about the ME with the help of the ruling families.

Of course, my favorite writer is Naguib Mafouz. He has won a Nobel Prize in Literature. His books are about Cairo and are set many years ago but the family dynamics at play in his books are spot on. When you read them-you feel you are part of the family. I would highly recommend them. They are absolutely brillant but nothing in them is about the Gulf.

I don't put too much stock in the ghutra's either, Bubbette. They are a fashion accessory. The way a guy wears his head dress says alot about where he is from but not about his status-look at the way his dishdasha is made for that clue.

Originally posted by houri@Jun 1st, 2004 - 3:40 pm
my father and my brothers wears national dress because it normal to wear I can not think to see them wears any thing ells
Houri:

Have you told your father and brother's that there about 10girls on the internet who obsess endlessly about the style/make/color of people's dishdashas? And after you tell them-do they laugh for hours on end?

it's enough that I'm laughing :lol:

I swear my father wears the shmag even when he go to sleep

Okay, Houri, it has come to that time that you must have known would come.....cue the music please.......

Name your top 3 Gulfie Hotties. Full name and nationality, please.

silver charm

there is only one
prince Bander bin khaled al faisal
from saudi arabia

I don't know if he the ( hotties ) but I'm sure that if he appear in tv I will not close my eyes even for second

Originally posted by houri@Jun 1st, 2004 - 5:59 pm
silver charm

there is only one
prince Bander bin khaled al faisal
from saudi arabia

I don't know if he the ( hotties ) but I'm sure that if he appear in tv I will not close my eyes even for second
picture please.......

Originally posted by houri@Jun 1st, 2004 - 6:31 pm
sorry no pic for him I tried to found any pic on the net but there is no result

even in the arabic sites

his grand father was the ex- king and his father prince of asir

pic for his father

http://www.arab3.com/images7/81332836.jpg
yeah, i searched too. i found an article about him skiing in Megeve and some interviews with 'Pacifica'. i think it's a radio program.

oh well.......one less boy to lust for.

Originally posted by silver charm@Jun 1st, 2004 - 8:46 pm
Never read the book you're referencing. Did read a book about Saudi Aramaco about the corporate history. Not much about lifestyles of the rich and infamous but a good read about the interdependence of the Middle East monarchies and D.C. Also it is well known that the US was going to invade Abu Dhabi during the oil embargo but never did-thank goodness.

Alot of people read the "Princess" books about a Saudi Princess. I think they are absolutely crap. They are very sensational and dripping with details about wallpaper and chandaliers but give absolutely z-e-r-o cultural references that mean anything besides dollar value.

I know the Arab Culture classes at AUD are taught off of Bernard Lewis' books and they are taught by an Iraqi who says they are pretty decent read. Don't know how accurate a picture they paint of the ME, though. I would naturally be suspect of anything written about the ME with the help of the ruling families.

Of course, my favorite writer is Naguib Mafouz. He has won a Nobel Prize in Literature. His books are about Cairo and are set many years ago but the family dynamics at play in his books are spot on. When you read them-you feel you are part of the family. I would highly recommend them. They are absolutely brillant but nothing in them is about the Gulf.
Hi,

Thank you for your references Silver Charm. It's hard enough to find a book here about the ME and/or the Royalties. Most books are in Swedish, either originally written by Swedish authors or translated into Swedish, and ME Royalties is, as far as I know, not on the Top Ten-list. I'll see if Cairo is in store for me.

Houri, are you from Saudi Arabia?

Hello Ladies

I am back and hopefully in a less dense state than yesterday. I had about 10 windows open and was working on 10 different things. So my apologies for missing your joke SC.

Oil Sheikhs...I have read the book. Unfortunately I found it very biased since I am familiar to the Gulf culture blah blah blah. The authour was Jewish and hence the trend to a "condescending" description. But hey, the pics are great. La la, check out Saud Al-Faisal there. It was during his peak years.

What else? Oh yes... the ghutra and the head dress. Since the head is the highest point on a man, the head dress denotes a kind of respect to that area. I don't know if I explained that properly. Anyway, you should never mess with the ghutra/aqal of a man wearing it. For example, if youa re in an extremely merry mood and think it is really funny to pull the ghutra off a guy's head (which I have seen certain people do), it is very insulting.

Another thing is that the Arabs are a very proud race and their deshdashes are a part of their heritage and by wearing it, they confirm their pride. It doesn't have anything to do with feeling superior.

SC: you have a point about the left side of SA. Now that I look at him with a different "eye", I see what you mean. Is this recent because when I last saw him, his face was fine. He was distributing smiles left and right.

We've reached page 11! My last post was after page 10... I didn't know we were on 11 already.

SC: Naguib Mahfouz is fantastic! Dubai TV did a mini series on his Trilogy which was very good and very close to the story.

Houri: which Prince Bandar? Please don't tell me the Saudi ambassador to the US? Please sweetie...please :rolleyes:

Originally posted by La la@Jun 1st, 2004 - 11:37 pm
Ok, sorry, Layla. I'll delete it.
Wait wait.... sorry for what and delete what? Don't tell me it's the book thing. No sweetie, I just tried to elaborate why certain parts are weird. That's all. Here's a flower to make it up to you: :flower:

Oh, you are so cute! :flower:

If anyone is wondering: I don't recommend the book! :lol:

Originally posted by La la@Jun 1st, 2004 - 11:46 pm
Oh, you are so cute! :flower:

If anyone is wondering: I don't recommend the book! :lol:
:rolleyes:

How could I ever hurt one of my favourite girls?

Is it my PC or is the message board really slow?

La la, I have a recent pic of SA with Queen Rania. I need to scan it so you can see him. I was looking for traces of a stroke but can't really make it out in this pic.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Sheikh Ahmed. How many times do I have to tell you people? He is perfect in everyway. :D

As far as dishdashas (sp?), they can very well make the man. I am a big fan of the colored ones S. Hamdan and Rashid bin Mo wear. They fill them out very nicely if I do say so myself. I LOVE the deep blue one.

For the ghutra is there any significance between the red checkered one and the white one? I've seen Hamdan in both.

Originally posted by pallas athina@Jun 2nd, 2004 - 12:12 am
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Sheikh Ahmed. How many times do I have to tell you people? He is perfect in everyway. :D

As far as dishdashas (sp?), they can very well make the man. I am a big fan of the colored ones S. Hamdan and Rashid bin Mo wear. They fill them out very nicely if I do say so myself. I LOVE the deep blue one.

For the ghutra is there any significance between the red checkered one and the white one? I've seen Hamdan in both.
I think the red checkered one is thicker and is mostly used in winter. White is the summer colour.

Pallas athina: ok ok. He is absolutely perfect. I will post the pic of your beloved tomorrow.

Originally posted by La la@Jun 2nd, 2004 - 12:18 am
Layla, is that Soraya?
Yes, can you see it? I kept getting error messages and I still see the old pic.

Yes, but I like the black-and-white one better. This one looks like a painting. Or is it?

Thank you Layla. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Incidentally, there was an article in the New York Times online about the sire of Smarty Jones. He is owned by???? I'll give you three guesses.

SC: you've got me reading about horses and horse racing now. I'm even thinking of taking riding lessons. And no, the ultimate goal is not so that I can ride in endurance races. :shifty:

Originally posted by pallas athina@Jun 2nd, 2004 - 12:31 am
Thank you Layla. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Incidentally, there was an article in the New York Times online about the sire of Smarty Jones. He is owned by???? I'll give you three guesses.

SC: you've got me reading about horses and horse racing now. I'm even thinking of taking riding lessons. And no, the ultimate goal is not so that I can ride in endurance races. :shifty:
Hmmmmmmm... can we have some choices?

Well, I'll take a shot in the dark: SA?

La la: no, it's not a painting but became like this when I had to decrease the resolution etc. I like the B/W more too but thought it was time I got a makeover.

i just wrote this whole reply and the board crashed...i'm going to kick some alexandria booty next time she shows up........ :angry:

Okay, back to real business. Smarty Jones is a close to the TC that a certain gold tasseled dishdasha wearing sheikh is going to get. I have started a thread on Thoroughbred Times regarding just this matter.

If any of you are in Toronto, this weekend is Belmont. I'm more than happy to introduce my favorite girls to the glory, art and passion of racing.

PA: You should learn to ride. The oggling alone is worth the sore thighs. Oh my and once you start to check out hottie Argy polo players the whole world expands exponentially with cute guys. There is a family of polo players that are renowned internationally for being hot. And one of them was my first instructor. What infinately great luck.

Originally posted by Layla@Jun 2nd, 2004 - 12:32 am
But hey, the pics are great. La la, check out Saud Al-Faisal there. It was during his peak years.
What pics, Layla? There are no pictures in that book, not in my book (in "Oil Sheikhs")!

No gold star for you, Layla. :( Though SA is my favorite, I don't know that he is into breeding.

La La, you can have half a gold star because Mo is mentioned, but no he isn't the owner either.

Hint: It is one of Mo's brothers. Since he only has 3, I think I have helped enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom