The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Gentry

First cousins or second cousins?

[QUOTE=El Jood]... sheikh mohammeds dad and sheikha hinds Mum are brothers and sister
QUOTE]

El Jood, (or anyone that has knows the answer), Help me out here, to fill in the missing link. I have a question about Sheikh Mohammed‘s dad and Sheikha Hind‘s mother being brother and sister?

Can you tell me Sheikha Hind’s mother’s name and/or year of birth?

From what I understand Sheikh Mohammed and his wife Sheikha Hind have the same great grandfather Maktoum bin Hasher Al Maktoum (d 1906), and their grandfathers (Saeed B 1878 and Juma b 1891) were brothers, which means their father‘s (Rashid b 1912 and Maktoum (b 1920) are first cousins.

El Jood, Are you saying that Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum (b 1912) has a full sister that is Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum’s mother or is her mother the full sister of Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed’s half brother, Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed (born 1958, the same year his father died). I think Sheikh Ahmed’s mother is Sheikha Fatima bint Ahmed bin Suliman, while the older children’s mother was Sheikha Hessa bint Al Murr.

According to Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoums website:

Sheikh Saeed had married again during his last years, and fathered a son, Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum. Born in the year of his father’s death.
http://www.sheikhmohammed.co.ae/english/dubai/fatherofDubai_ruler1.asp

Old 04-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Gentry

[QUOTE=SabaI have a question about Sheikh Mohammed‘s dad and Sheikha Hind‘s mother being brother and sister?

Can you tell me Sheikha Hind’s mother’s name and/or year of birth?

[/QUOTE]

Sheikh Mohammed's Father is Called sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Bin Maktoum AlMaktoum
Sheikha Hind's Mother is called Sheikha Sheikha Bint Saeed bin Maktoum ALMaktoum... she is Sheikh Mohammed's Aunt.

Sheikh Rashid ( sh. Mohammed's Dad ) and Sheikh Maktoum Bin Jumma ( sheikha Hinds Dad ) are also cousins.
Sheikha Hinds Mum sheikha Sheikha bint Saeed bin Maktoum is Married to her Cousin Sheikh Maktoum Bin Jumma bin Maktoum
His mum and Sheikh Mohammeds Mum are also cousins from the mother side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba
From what I understand Sheikh Mohammed and his wife Sheikha Hind have the same great grandfather Maktoum bin Hasher Al Maktoum (d 1906), and their grandfathers (Saeed B 1878 and Juma b 1891) were brothers, which means their father‘s (Rashid b 1912 and Maktoum (b 1920) are first cousins.

El Jood, Are you saying that Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum (b 1912) has a full sister that is Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum’s mother or is her mother the full sister of Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed’s half brother, Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed (born 1958, the same year his father died). I think Sheikh Ahmed’s mother is Sheikha Fatima bint Ahmed bin Suliman, while the older children’s mother was Sheikha Hessa bint Al Murr.
Yes thats true sheikha Hind's Mum and Dad are cosuins

Plus sheikh Maktoum bn Jumma his mum is ( Madyah Bint Mijren )
her sister is ( Shamsa Bint Mijren ) . Shamsa was married to sh. Hamdan ALNahyan who is sheikh Zayed's Uncle
she got a Girl who married Sh. Rashid ... she was Sh. Latifa Sheikh Mohammed mum......

Old 04-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Hind congratulates President

President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan has received a cable from Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum, wife of Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Defence Minister General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum. Sheikha Hind sent her congratulations because the UN recently named the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan one of the ‘Champions of the Earth’.

WAM
Old 04-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Courtier

LOCAL DESIGNER TAKES FASHION WORLD BY STORM
BY MUBASHRA SIDDIQUI

26 April 2005

For the first time ever, famous Emirati fashion designer Zareena Yousif, known primarily for her exceptional jalabiyas, will present a collection of Western eveningwear. Under the patronage of Shaikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Jumaa Al Maktoum,...

the premiere fashion show will be held today at the World Trade Centre in Dubai.

Major international fashion professionals and journalists from New York, London, Paris and

other fashion capitals of the world are expected to attend this event including buyers from Barneys, Saks Fifth Avenue, Gallery Lafayette, and Villa Moda, among many others.

Called 'Jewels,' the evening wear collection has been 'inspired by traditional silver Arabic jewellery and Russian jewellery whose designs have been painted on to the dresses,' said Zareena, in a short interview amid the chaos of a fashion shoot for Chicago Fashion Magazine.

When asked how she was able to make the shift from something traditional and conservative like jalabiyas to Western evening wear, Zareena stated that she was able to maintain 'a harmony by taking the hand embroidery and silver jewellery motifs from the jalabiyas and visualising them into Western creations.' Zareena, who is an extremely savvy businesswoman, also owns and operates the exclusive couture shop Fasateen. 'When I started my boutique Fasateen, I would meet up with the designers and always give them ideas, talk about fashion, about what would be suitable, and soon my family and friend started pushing me to design, telling me I had the talent,' said Zareena, commenting on how she got into the designing business.

She added, 'It has always been magic between the beauty of fashion and me. It has been the way to express who I am, where I am coming from, and what I am dreaming of...Through the quality of my fabrics, the handmade embroideries, the paintings, and the elegant styling, I have always tried to reach creating a piece of art.'

Zareena, who says she owes all her success to the encouragement and support she receives from her husband, has high expectations of this fashion event and is confident that she will be able to make it in the international fashion scene as an haute couture brand. She stated, 'I am expecting a lot, I have worked so hard and I am positive that we shall be able to make it.'

A representative from Maven Corporate, the international fashion promotion and brand development organisation that manages Zareena's collections, said, 'Zareena's designs have this unique quiet elegance about them, and we are sure her designs will do fabulously abroad. She has followed all the rules of Federation Francaise de la Couture, du Pret-a-Porter des Couturiers et des Createurs de Mode. In France, the term haute couture is protected by law and there is certain criterion that has to be met to use the term.

Haute couture fashion houses have to have at least 15 employees working in the studio, they have to present two collections every year, each including 35 attires both before the media and the customers, and more that 45 per cent of the designs have to be hand embroidered. Zareena has met most of the criteria and we are sure she shall be able to make a name for herself.'

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/CityHome...=citytimes&col=
Old 04-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Nobility

Wow! I'd love to see more of her designs... :)
Old 04-29-2005, 07:13 AM
Courtier

I'm glad you enjoyed the article. Most of Sheikha Hind's charity work never receive any media attention. So I content myself with posting whatever article that mentions her name.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Commoner

What education does Sheikha Hind have and has she ever worked officially or had any official post like Sheikha KassimI,for instance?
Old 04-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Courtier

No, Sheikha Hind has never held any official posts as she was married off at a fairly young age and never pursued further/higher studies from what I know. Sheikha Lubna al Qassimi is an exception and she is the only 'high-profile' Sheikha (some even consider her overrated) I can think of. Sheikha Hind does not have any degrees and diplomas as such but she keeps herself abreast of current events ("...I follow daily local, Arab and international political events closely.") and she was also quoted as saying that she tries to educate herself by reading educational books, history books, the Quran and so on as they help her direct and help her children with their studies.

I'm sure El Jood will fill me in.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Commoner

Thanx a lot La La!
Just can you pls clarify this for me,didn`t she study at all oR didn`t she complete her study because of her marriage ?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Courtier

She didn't pursue further/higher studies, meaning she didn't attend University.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Courtier

Hind praises progress in UAE

In a statement at a graduation ceremony for female students of the Higher Colleges of Technology, Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum said she valued the efforts of President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai His Highness Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Members of the Supreme Council and Sheikha Fatima bint Mubarak, who have worked to develop the UAE. She said she was happy to see progress in all areas, including the fact that the UAE was re-elected a member of the women’s committee at the United Nations two days ago.

She congratulated the graduates and their families.

Al Bayan

Monday, May 09, 2005
Old 05-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Gentry

Sheikha Hind not acknowledged as wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrosemrk

Hind praises progress in UAE

In a statement at a graduation ceremony for female students of the Higher Colleges of Technology, Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum said she valued the efforts of President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai His Highness Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Members of the Supreme Council and Sheikha Fatima bint Mubarak, who have worked to develop the UAE. She said she was happy to see progress in all areas, including the fact that the UAE was re-elected a member of the women’s committee at the United Nations two days ago.

She congratulated the graduates and their families.

Al Bayan

Monday, May 09, 2005

This is the first time that I have ever seen any mention of Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum not being acknowledged as a wife, as she normally is:
"
"Shaikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum, wife of General Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and UAE Minister of Defence."
or as
"Wife of Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Defence Minister General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum"

This is a very obvious omission .

Old 05-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Royal Highness

where does this source come from. perhaps they are a bit liberal in regards to referring someone as someone's wife
Old 05-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Gentry

[QUOTE=Saba]This is the first time that I have ever seen any mention of Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum not being acknowledged as a wife, as she normally is:
"
"Shaikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum, wife of General Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and UAE Minister of Defence."
or as
"Wife of Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Defence Minister General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum"

[/QUOTE

This is a traslation from ALBayan Newspaper if you go back to the arabic version you will see her name mentioned as Wife of sheikh Mohammed,,,,
plus whether she is mentioned as his wife or not she is still his wife..... Plus she is from the royal family and belongs to this country even if she wasn't sheikh Mohammed's wife
and she belongs to this place and loved by people so much.... more than anyone can imagen....
Old 05-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Gentry

[QUOTE=El Jood]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba
This is the first time that I have ever seen any mention of Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum not being acknowledged as a wife, as she normally is:
"
or as

[/QUOTE

This is a traslation from ALBayan Newspaper if you go back to the arabic version you will see her name mentioned as Wife of sheikh Mohammed,,,,
plus whether she is mentioned as his wife or not she is still his wife..... Plus she is from the royal family and belongs to this country even if she wasn't sheikh Mohammed's wife
and she belongs to this place and loved by people so much.... more than anyone can imagen....
Yeah, yeah, yeah the respect and love for Sheikha Hind goes without saying, that's a given.

My point was that the quote from Al Bayan by the author of the article did not note it as being a translation or a c&p from another source. I know it was a translation and prior to going to Al Bayan it appeared as if the paper had made the omission.

For the benefit of those posters that are not aware or are unable to read Al Bayan it would have been helpful when posted to note it as such.

Thanks for your efforts to clarify, although your response was off topic; it was evident that often something can get lost in translation. It's always nice to read that others share the same passion regarding Sheikha Hind.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Gentry

Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum attends graduation ceremony

Full article from WAM printed in English, no translation needed. :(

Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum attends graduation ceremony

May 11, 2005 - 11:06 -

Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum attends graduation ceremony Dubai, May 11, 2005 (WAM)--General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Defence Minister's Wife, Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum Bin Juma Al Maktoum, Chairwoman of Shaikha Latifah's Award for Childhood Creativity, attended here today a ceremony to mark graduation of the 13th batch of the Dubai Women's College of the Higher Colleges of Technology, HCT.

The ceremony was also attended by Sheikha Hissa bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum, Sheikha Khlood bint Rashid bin Ahmed Al Mu'alla, Sheikha Amina bint Humaid Al Tayer, Chairperson of the Dubai Women Development Association, a number of other sheikhas, wives of the members of the diplomatic corps and mothers of the graduates.

In a speech delivered on her behalf by Sheikh Mariam bint Hashr Al Maktoum, Sheikha Hind lauded the progress made by the country in the educational field, a foundation stone, she said, which was firmly established by the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan and now being strongly supported by President H.H. Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, H.H. Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai and Their Highnesses Supreme Council Members and Rulers of the Emirates.

Sheikh Hind also praised H.H. Sheikh Fatima bint Mubarak for her outstanding role in support of the country's educational march in general and towards the UAE women advancement in particular.

WAM/OA 22 53 CCCCQQE
Old 05-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Gentry

Shaikha Hind to present gold coins to DWC graduates
By a staff reporter

11 May 2005

DUBAI — Shaikha Hind bint Maktoum Al Maktoum, wife of General Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and UAE Minister of Defence, will present specially designed gold coins to meritorious students passing out of the Dubai Women’s College today at the Dubai World Trade Centre.

The class of 2004, the 13th batch of graduates, will see 128 students stepping out of the portals of the college, 73 of them with distinction, 30 with high honours and 25 with highest honours.

This year’s graduate speaker will be Hamda Al Bakhit, who will be receiving her Bachelor of E-Commerce degree with high honours. Financial Service and Banking Higher Diploma graduate Shamsa Al Falasi will be the master of ceremonies.

Dr Howard Reed, Director of DWC, thanked and praised Shaikha Hind’s support and contribution towards continued educational excellence in the college, and in developing professional local women in all sectors and levels.

“There are 724 graduates from 26 different academic programmes, all of which are preparing young national women for relevant employment,” he said.

“Thirteen years ago, there were no DWC graduates and very few working Emirati women in Dubai.

“Today, nearly 70 per cent of DWC graduates are employed. It is also a very special year for DWC as this year’s ceremony marks the first time that we are awarding Bachelor degrees in Education and E-Commerce,” he said.

DWC graduates are working in Dubai’s top organisations including Etisalat, Dubai Municipality, Emirates airline, Emirates Bank Group, Tanmia, Eppco, Dubai Financial Market, National Bank of Dubai, HSBC, Dubai Internet City, Dubai Media City, Mashreqbank and The Executive Office.

This year, the Dubai Women’s Association (DWA) will coordinate with Shaikha Hind for the event. “We congratulate all the graduates on their success,” Amal Al Sari from DWA, said, adding that several DWC students were working for the association.

Several graduates said they were looking forward to working and gaining experience. “We do not mind working long hours as long as we learn,” they said.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Gentry

DWC graduation

Pictures from Gradautaion
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Grad1.bmp (115.8 KB, 311 views)
File Type: bmp Grad2.bmp (143.3 KB, 149 views)
Old 05-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Courtier

Women are equal partners in fostering progress, says Hind
By a staff reporter

12 May 2005

DUBAI — Women do not merely constitute 50 per cent of the society, but also have an equal share in contributing towards the progress of the nation through their role in preparing future generations to take up responsibilities.

This was stated by Shaikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum, wife of General Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and UAE Minister of Defence, in a speech read out on her behalf by Shaikha Mariam bint Hashar bin Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum, at the graduation ceremony of the 13th batch of Dubai Women’s College held at Dubai Convention Centre. Shaikha Hind handed over the certificates to the graduates.

Noting that all factors for success including education and culture had been provided by the country for women to ensure their effective participation, Shaikha Hind said: "No nation can progress without the effective participation of women, and concurrently, women too need to be provided with all the facilities to achieve success. The late Shaikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan had acknowledged this fact, which led to the country's progress," she said.

Calling on the graduates to play their role in the country's progress, Shaikha Hind highlighted Shaikh Zayed's concern that he had extended assistance not only to women, but to each and every citizen in the UAE, since they are the real assets of the country.

Dr Howard Reed, Director of the College, stressed that the institution was committed to preparing women to be competent in taking up various jobs. "Tonight, 724 students from 26 programmes are graduating, including first batches of holders of bachelor degrees in education, e-commerce and pharmacy," he said, in a speech read out on his behalf by Dr. Bahjat Al Yousef of the Colleges' Information Technology Section.

In order to succeed in their career, Dr Reed advised the graduates to be guided by the success of the college alumni, which had exceeded 4,670 members, and proved efficient in various jobs that are of significance for the country's progress, he said, adding: "I am sure you will continue to foster the excellent reputation created by the graduates of this college."

He also asked them to be determined in setting higher objectives in view of the rapid development and diversification in various areas including business in Dubai.

Hamda Mohammed Al Falashi, reading out a speech on behalf of her fellow graduates, expressed a sense of pride in graduating from the Higher Colleges of Technology. She also expressed gratitude to the vision of teachers at the Higher Colleges of Technology who were helping in preparing people to fit into various work environments and jobs. The ceremony ended with poetry recitation in memory of late Shaikh Zayed and folk dances.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Gentry

Women are equal partners in fostering progress, Says Hind

Women are equal partners in fostering progress, says Hind The graduates Related News 1/12/2002 | Women will enrich FNC says Hind.. Women do not merely constitute 50 per cent of the society, but also have an equal share in contributing towards the progress of the nation through their role in preparing future generations to take up responsibilities.
This was stated by Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum, wife of Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Defence Minister General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, in a speech read out on her behalf by Sheikha Mariam bint Hashar bin Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum, at the graduation ceremony of the 13th batch of Dubai Women’s College held at Dubai Convention Centre. Sheikha Hind handed over the certificates to the graduates.
Noting that all factors for success including education and culture had been provided by the country for women to ensure their effective participation, Sheikha Hind said: "No nation can progress without the effective participation of women, however, women need to be provided with all the facilities to achieve success. The late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan had acknowledged this fact, which led to the country's progress," she said.

Khaleej Times

Thursday, May 12, 2005