The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Aristocracy

Eid marks the end of Ramadan.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana8585 View Post
Eid marks the end of Ramadan.
but dis month is not Ramadan..its ZuLHAJJ

Old 12-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Aristocracy

true, I was only answering the question.....
Old 12-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Annika Sorenstam from Sweden receives the trophy from Sheikh Maktoum bin Mohammed bin Rashed al-Maktoum, chairman of the Dubai Technology and Media Free Zone, after winning the final round of the Dubai Ladies Masters in Dubai, 16 December 2007 (ANP)
picture
Old 12-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by candygirl_68 View Post
what's "Eid"?
According to wikipedia....

Eid ul-Fitr or Id-Ul-Fitr (Arabic: عيد الفطر ‘Īdu l-Fiṭr), often abbreviated to Eid, is a Muslim holiday that marks the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting. Eid is an Arabic word meaning "festivity", while Fiṭr means "to break the fast" (and can also mean "nature", from the word "fitrah") and so symbolizes the breaking of the fasting period.
Eid-ul-Fitr starts the day after Ramadan ends, and is verified by the sighting of the new moon. Muslims give money to the poor and wear their best clothes. Eid ul-Fitr lasts three days[citation needed] and is called "The Lesser Eid" (Arabic: العيد الصغير Al-eid Al-sagheer) compared with the Eid ul-Adha that lasts four days[citation needed] and is called "The Greater Eid" (Arabic: العيد الكبير Al-eid Al-kabeer).
On the day of the celebration, a typical Muslim family awakes very early, does the first everyday prayer, and is required[citation needed] to eat a little, symbolizing the end of Ramadan. They then attend special congregational prayers held in mosques, large open areas, stadiums and arenas. The prayer is generally short and is followed by a sermon (khuṭba). Worshippers greet and embrace each other with hugs in a spirit of peace and love after the congregational prayer. After the special prayers, festivities and merriment are commonly observed with visits to the homes of relatives and friends to thank God for all blessings.
Eid ul-Fitr is a joyous occasion with important religious significance, celebrating the achievement of enhanced piety. It is a day of forgiveness, moral victory, peace of congregation, fellowship, brotherhood and unity. Muslims celebrate not only the end of all that fasting but also thank God for the help and strength that they believe he gave them through the previous month to help everyone practice self-control. It is a time of giving and sharing, and many Muslims dress in holiday attire.

Eid al-Adha (Arabic: عيد الأضحى ‘Īd al-’Aḍḥā) is a religious festival celebrated by Muslims worldwide as a commemoration of Ibrahim's (Abraham's) willingness to sacrifice his son Ismael for Allah. It is one of two Eid festivals that Muslims celebrate. Like Eid ul-Fitr, Eid ul-Adha begins with a short prayer followed by a sermon (khuṭba). It is also called the bigger Eid because it lasts a day longer than Eid ul-Fitr[citation needed].
Eid al-Adha is four days long and starts on the 10th day of the month of Dhul Hijja (ذو الحجة) of the lunar Islamic calendar. This is the day after the pilgrims in Hajj, the annual pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia by Muslims worldwide, descend from Mount Arafat. It happens to be approximately 70 days after the end of the month of Ramadan.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:44 PM

Could anyone tell me how long Sheikha Latifa's engagement will be.Any idea when she will be getting married?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Aristocracy

I was reading an old thread on this website from 11-10-2004(i was bored!!) that it was reported that Sheikh Rashid was going to marry his cousin Shka Latifa. Does anyone know what happened there? I usually find questions abt Sheikhs love life annoying, especially Rashid and Hamdan but since I saw a thread dedicated to it....... :-)
Old 12-18-2007, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb View Post
Could anyone tell me how long Sheikha Latifa's engagement will be.Any idea when she will be getting married?
Her engagment will last as long as she gets married, depending on the groom's family (grooms family decide/suggest when the marriage takes place)No word yet on when the wedding might take place.

Quote:
I was reading an old thread on this website from 11-10-2004(i was bored!!) that it was reported that Sheikh Rashid was going to marry his cousin Shka Latifa. Does anyone know what happened there? I usually find questions abt Sheikhs love life annoying, especially Rashid and Hamdan but since I saw a thread dedicated to it....... :-)
That was just a rumor. Rashed is still single & that talk was since 2004
Old 12-18-2007, 05:58 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
That was just a rumor. Rashed is still single & that talk was since 2004
At least he's unmarried Whether he's single or not might still be subject of speculations
Old 12-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Commoner

can someone tell me wht mansour and saeed do??dey r da least mention...i think
Old 12-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Aristocracy

there's always rumors going on about engagement, marriage...
it's all so annoying!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks for the answer warren.... Yes it is annoying candygirl. Could you imagine if it was you all the speculation was about? I would go crazy..... I would probably end up like paris hilton, dancing on tables at nightclubs and in general getting in trouble. Well, not if my father was Sheikh Mohammed. I take that back....... P.S. I thought my dad was strict...
Old 12-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Aristocracy

I know it is expected of Maktoums to marry someone from UAE but what about his children who arent from mothers from UAE??? such as Maitha and Majid......
Old 12-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I know it is expected of Maktoums to marry someone from UAE but what about his children who arent from mothers from UAE??? such as Maitha and Majid......
Maitha will marry man from the UAE, there is no doubt about that (presumably a man from her family). UAE women don't usually marry foreigners because they cannot pass on their citizenship to their husbands or children. UAE men can pass it on to their foreign wives and children. As for Majid I am guessing he'll probably marry a cousin from within the Maktoum clan or from another.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone think that some of Sheikh Mohammed's sons will have multipe wives as he does? If so, which one(s) and why? I have notice that many of the sheikhs' of the Al Nayhan clan have one wife, which is not common for wealthy sheikhs. Is this a new/cultural trend in the UAE or is this just among a certain sheikhs, like Sheikha Fatima's sons.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilah View Post
Does anyone think that some of Sheikh Mohammed's sons will have multipe wives as he does? If so, which one(s) and why? I have notice that many of the sheikhs' of the Al Nayhan clan have one wife, which is not common for wealthy sheikhs. Is this a new/cultural trend in the UAE or is this just among a certain sheikhs, like Sheikha Fatima's sons.
They probably will.

The one wife trend is not new but very uncommon, Sheikh Mo's father Sheikh Rashid bin Saaed had only one wife Sheikha Latifa ( I believe she was a Al Nahyan). Some Sheikhs might have one wife but I am sure they also have mistresses.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Aristocracy

Who lives in Zabeel Palace? I am sure Shka Hind does but does Shk Mohammed come and go....?... From what I understand most Muslims traditionaly live w family untill married. Some of the kids are getting older, surely they have a place of their own, yes? Especially the boys. Just curious...

mehwish I dont have any info on Saeed and Mansour, sorry....
Old 12-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Aristocracy

since we are guessing about which of shiekh mo's sons will have multiple wives, i am going to say sheikh hamdan. he seems to want to follow in dad's footsteps. i have lived in the uae for a short time. i get the feeling that multiple wives is definetly not the "norm". just because sheikh mo does it does NOT make it acceptable to the people of the UAE.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehwish View Post
what do saeed and mansour do?i mean they study or what like....
I believe both have graduated high school, but I don't know if they are in college. They don't do much in the public eye but I think Mansour is involved in some youth club and I think Saeed is involved in something similar (I am not 100% sure). Nonetheless, they usually join their father or brothers at events especially the Dubai World Cup or Endurance races etc...

I hope this little info helps
Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss b View Post
since we are guessing about which of shiekh mo's sons will have multiple wives, i am going to say sheikh hamdan. he seems to want to follow in dad's footsteps. i have lived in the uae for a short time. i get the feeling that multiple wives is definetly not the "norm". just because sheikh mo does it does NOT make it acceptable to the people of the UAE.
don't really agree... i don't think sh.Hamdan is the kind of guy that will have multiple wives. I believe he's not really a cheater, and when he do love a woman he don't need another. Just my point of view, and i do think that Rashid is more like his dad, no offense there.
it's off topic, but i'm going to Egypt two weeks, so i wish you all here already MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR! cheers!