The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by houri View Post

so, do we know if she will be in China during the Olmpic games ?
Yes she will be taking part in Beijing 2008. Must say, that will be one tuff competition for her.

Btw, my mistake Sheikha Maitha won silver at the asian games and not gold

Old 11-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Gentry

They seem allways have the same white sandals. Which brand is that? I think they can purchase something else once. They walk all the same in same sandals.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryamii View Post
i dunno wts rong wid hamdan in these pics...he looks so diff...gained weight n really needs to shave
His weight seems to have gone up as his level of partipation in Endurance dropped while taking on new roles has increased. His shabby beard may be an indication he plans to do the Hajj this year. Watch to see if he cuts his hair very short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ines View Post
They seem allways have the same white sandals. Which brand is that? I think they can purchase something else once. They walk all the same in same sandals.
It is the dishdashya which dictates their walking style more than the sandals. When wearing one properly, you cannot take a full stride and thus must walk with shortened steps.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It is the dishdashya which dictates their walking style more than the sandals. When wearing one properly, you cannot take a full stride and thus must walk with shortened steps.
yeah sure... but still, what's up with those REALLY UGLY sandals? can't they wear normal shoes?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by candygirl_68 View Post
yeah sure... but still, what's up with those REALLY UGLY sandals? can't they wear normal shoes?
A rhetorical question, but why would shoes be considered "normal" any more than sandals? Last time I looked, most are born barefoot. Fashion to one is trash to another.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Short steps - is that kind of posh in Dubai, or is it a part of traditional behaviour for a member of royal family? I would really like to know more about arab traditions.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Gentry

Has nothing to do with the ruling family. All who wear a dishdashya walk a bit shorter than in Western clothes. I sure can tell the difference when I wear one!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Friend View Post
Has nothing to do with the ruling family. All who wear a dishdashya walk a bit shorter than in Western clothes. I sure can tell the difference when I wear one!
But wich brand are those sandals? I want to buy one pair. May woman also where them?
Old 12-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Commoner

Quote:
But wich brand are those sandals? I want to buy one pair. May woman also where them?
Yes they have female ones also. I still have 5 pairs from my years in UAE.
In regards to the dishdashya also known as a Kandora, I wore these (female one) all the time and it never restricted my walking one bit. Most of the mens have plenty of room and are fully able to take a full stride in them.

My partner was Emirati and he used to walk really fast in his dishdashya.

In regards to the shoes, there are all different types, there is one brand in particular that used to retail at around 550 plus dirhams per pair and were the ones worn by the sheikhs and most affluant locals. I can not remember the name right now. They are very very comfy, despite how they look to the western world.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Gentry

You wore an abaya which is not the same as a dishdashya (kandora is imported language which has become common in usage).

The abaya is meant to be a covering which lies over a layer of clothing; it can be taken off at anytime in the appropriate company because there is complete cloting underneath. It is much looser than the dishdashya which is the clothing itself.

The dishdashya is restrictive, especially as one gets taller and has longer legs. There are two ways to move quickly. One is to quicken the short pace which feels like short, quick, shuffle steps. The other is to actually gather the material slightly above the knee and pull up, thus raising the level of the "dress" allowing for longer strides.

I think it is mostly related to height as most taller people have longer natural strides than those who are shorter.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Aristocracy

interesting, but what about the so-called "sandals"? can they walk correctly in it? they seem quite unconfortable...
Old 12-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
You wore an abaya which is not the same as a dishdashya (kandora is imported language which has become common in usage).
How do you know what I wore??? I do know the difference between an Abaya and a kandora/dishdashya. I lived in UAE long enough to know the difference especially being part of a local family.
I wore both a Kandora and an Abaya when I left the house and did not find them restrictive and never saw any of my local friends have a problem. That is what I was pointing out. Oh and I do know about the imported Kandora word, also known as Thobe. I chose to call it a kandora.

Here is me in a female dishdashya to show you I do know the difference.
This is me with Sheikh Saqar Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, who was a first cousin to the late Sheikh Zayed.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ines View Post
The good brands are AlNamoos and Fares and we call it UAE dialect "Ni'3al"
Old 12-03-2007, 01:33 AM
Commoner

Quote:
The good brands are AlNamoos and Fares and we call it UAE dialect "Ni'3al"
Yes Fares, that is the main one everyone wears. They are fantastic quality and last for forever.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Commoner

Sheikh Rashids Birthday.................. Not Sure

Eastern promise for hypnotist - The Star

IT was no pictures and definitely no sex please, we're Arabs, when stage hypnotist Christopher Caress from Goldthorpe gave the performance of his life in the oil-rich Gulf city of Dubai.

With only a few days notice last week he was whisked across to the Middle East to put on a half hour show for the sheikh's third son, Prince Mohammed Bin Rashid al-Maktoum's 26th birthday party.

He went down so well he was asked to perform the following week for his dad, the city's ruler, but he's had to put him off until January.
"I am so busy and I don't like to go back on my commitments," says 39-year-old Christopher, used to performing on cruise ships as "the man who puts the hip back into hypnosis."

When a sheikh snaps his fingers you have to go but Christopher, who lives at Highgate, thought it was a wind up when he got the call from a London agent.

"They'd seen Derren Brown on TV and were fascinated by hypnosis ...I'm a lot cheaper," he says.

Before his show in a royal villa Christopher, who has family and X-rated versions of the act, was given a briefing of do's and don'ts.
"Don't do anything crude and don't do the prince," adds Christopher. "So it was more of a demo, people not being able to remember the number seven, fingers sticking to their nose, feet turning to jelly and I got them thinking they were riding horses in the Grand National," he adds.

Wisely, he didn't do his adult routine of making volunteers think their undies were their overgarments - and vice versa!

Christopher had a chance to look around before he did his act. "There was a funfair set up in the lavish gardens, huge ice sculptures and tables and chairs for around 100 guests draped in white satin with red rose petals scattered around.

"There was a huge table especially for the prince and his close family set up directly in front of the stage."

Christopher has been a hypnotist for 20 years and studied at the Los Angeles Institute of Hypnotherapy.

"Then I came back to South Yorkshire 10 years ago hailed as the new Paul McKenna. But in this business it's all about being in the right place at the right time and being stuck in South Yorkshire it ain't going to happen," he sighs.

He came back for family reasons and while those reasons no longer apply he finds it hard to leave.
Christopher says he gets a kick out of turning wide awake people into hypnotic subjects. "Making people do silly things is just showmanship."
Next year he plans to set up a world record for hypnotising the most people at a time. But first he's got a performance in the desert to do.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Aristocracy

wouldn't third son be hamdan? although rashed is 26 and hamdan is 25. confusing.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

This link confirms the birthdays of 5 of Mo's children: Maitha, Rashed, Hamdan, Ahmed & Majid.

15th Asian Games Doha 2006

This link confirms the birthday of Sheikha Shamsa (15/08/81) - Warren, could you please correct since Shamsa is 10 years older than stated in the overview Thanks

Police investigate 'kidnap' of sheikh's daughter | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited
Old 12-03-2007, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Sheikha Shamsa has been updated. Only a few more gaps to fill in and we'll have the definitive list.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Sheikha Shamsa has been updated. Only a few more gaps to fill in and we'll have the definitive list.
Thanks Warren In terms of definitve list, there might be more to come, Haya is still young and Alia may not be an only child.

Btw, is her name official now?
Old 12-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Aristocracy

what about sh. Hamdan? I thought he was born november 13th and not 14th...