Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed named Crown Prince of Dubai: 1 February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea but I think it would be good for him to settle down with a nice wive, a bunch of kids and a place to rest from all his responsibilities as a CP. ;)
I hope though he will marry out of love and not only out of duty. And who knows we'll get a glimpse of his future wive and family every now and then. After all, Hamdan is very modern:).

You have really got a point.:flowers:
I wonder that :
DO BEING CROWN PRINCE IN GULF COUNTRIES MEAN MARRIAGE ??

I read in a website about this,it said Hamdan will definately marry in these days because he is Crown Prince of Dubai now.:wub:

Hamdan is modern Sheikh but he will definately firstly will marry a Sheikha and their marriage will be traditional Muslim marriage.;)

Hamdan is modern Sheikh but he will definately firstly will marry a Sheikha and their marriage will be traditional Muslim marriage.;)

Turkish Delight, I don't understand what you want do say but I think Hamdan is a modern man and I don't think that a traditional Muslim marriage rules out Love:wub:. Most young muslims do marry for love these days !!

Other question: When Hamdan marries, will there be festivities in the UAE like some sort of national event or is it just a family affair? On the other hand, maybe Hamdan isn't ready to marry right now and wants to wait untill he's adjusted to his new role as CP.

Well Hamdan might marry these days...
but we r not sure..coz being a CP in the gulf doesnt mean marriage:)
He will surely marry a Sheikha from al maktoum or al nahyan,,
there is a big possibility that he will marry his cuzin,,,,
but now in most of the sites..they say tht he is gonna marry so we dunno wts true and wts not..
so wait till it gets announced publically

Turkish Delight, I don't understand what you want do say but I think Hamdan is a modern man and I don't think that a traditional Muslim marriage rules out Love:wub:. Most young muslims do marry for love these days !!

Other question: When Hamdan marries, will there be festivities in the UAE like some sort of national event or is it just a family affair? On the other hand, maybe Hamdan isn't ready to marry right now and wants to wait untill he's adjusted to his new role as CP.

This is about gulf culture bettina.;)In gulf countries(Uae,Bahrain,Qatar and lots of..)people marry with their cousins.Not love.Some of them love.;)
and for Sheikhs from gulfs,THEY HAVE TO MARRY WITH SHEIKHA,SHEIKHAS MARRY WITH SHEIKHS;).This is culture.

For Arab muslims,(the outside gulf countries) :muslims marry with in love.Egypt,Tunisia,Lebanon and others..

For other muslims like me:Turkey,and the others not Arab muslims marry with love..

I heared that Gulf weddings are boring!(I don't know if it's true)But UAE Sheikhs don't marry publicly.

I asked that: DO IN GULF COUNTRIES BEING CROWN PRINCE MEAN THAT MARRIAGE HAVE TO?
and maryamii answered! Thanks..

Last edited:
Ruling family weddings can be very public and very big. If I remember correctly, when Sheikh Mohammed married Sheikha Hind in 1979, the men's portion of the wedding ceremony was held in the football stadium and more than 80,000 showed up.

Here is a link to pictures from that wedding at the website "dubaiasitusedtobe" HH Sheikh Mohammed's Wedding 1979

Note that according to this website, "The wedding was Dubai's first major public event. Nothing on a similar scale has been held since then."

I myself have attended many weddings of the ruling families and some are very public and very big by western standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friends,I think Hamdan will definately marry in these days because of being Crown Prince.What do you think?

The new position doesnt lead to marriage.
To my understanding, the Al-Maktoums dont marry young. Sheikh Mohammed & his brothers married mi/late 30's, sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed is still single and almost 50, other Maktoums the same, this is men, Women tend to marry young.

Things might change, but I dont see him marrying before mid next year.

The new position doesnt lead to marriage.
To my understanding, the Al-Maktoums dont marry young. Sheikh Mohammed & his brothers married mi/late 30's, sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed is still single and almost 50, other Maktoums the same, this is men, Women tend to marry young.

Things might change, but I dont see him marrying before mid next year.

I think he'll marry someone according to family traditions (probably from Al Maktoum family) this or next year or at least there will be an engagement.

Mo married Sheika Hind in 1979 I think, at the age of 30. Manal was already born though, meaning he might have married earlier although this marriage has never been publicly acknowleged.

i am so happy for sheikh hamdan i think he deserves it so congrulations to him :) btw: i am back :flowers:

Congrats to Hamdan! :flowers:
Just a few questions about Hamdan becoming the new Crown Prince...
Can there be more than one Prince in Dubai together or is there only one at one time? Does this mean Sheikh Mohammed (his father) has given his position to his son? If yes, what will Sheikh Mohammed's duties be now? Also, will Sheikh Hamdan be referred to as High Highness now?
Will it be Prince Hamdan or HH Sheikh Hamdan? Please someone help me out! It would be weird calling Sheikh Hamdan, 'His Highness', not use to it!!!! :lol:

i have a question for royal friend and those who live in Dubai...is rashid really okay with it..his not upset or anything? And when you say his interrested in other things, does that mean he is not interested in important things? Sports and horses, dont seem all that important. Did he not do well at Sandhurst?
Did he do something wrong and thats why he was passed over??

I know i keep bringing this up(sorry), i cant get over Rashid being passed ..he seems to have more of a strong character. Am sure Hamdan has his good qualities, but he seems so nice ,sweet and soft. (somewhat of a pushover) You remember that video that had been posted a while back; they were at some games and Rashid was upset over his horse or something; all the people around him took a step back and they seemed afraid of him (including Hamdan)

As well as being well like(which hamdan obviously is)a leader has to be respected and somewhat feared. Like their father (sheikh Mohammed), one look at his face, you know his a man not to be trifled with. For example, for those who watched the 60 minutes presentation of him; at the end that the commenter says "even the horses dont like to disappoint him(sheikh mohammed)."

But then again i would be wrong, what do i know, am just an observer who lives 2 continents away...... They would not have chosen Hamdan if he wasnt deserving of the situation..his father is intelligent enough!!!

Last edited:
thanks for the picture!

remember whn you were finally old enough to sit at the "grownup table" at family events? i suppose that is a bit how hamdan and maktoum feel.

Hello everybody,
I must admit that i'm totally shocked that Sheikh Rashid has been passed fot the position of the Crown prince. I believe that there must have been problems because it is not common that the eldest son doesn't get the position of his father (especially in the orient)
I think because Rashid has a strong character he is not fine with what has happened. He loves his brother. You can see that in many pictures. But lately there were not as many pictures with both.
i really hope that this has not a deep impact of their relationship.
By the way: Has rashid also an official position in the government of dubai?
couldn't hamdan and rashid have been named? Why Maktoum, he is 3 years younger than rashid?

I was so glad to read "He vowed to be loyal and faithful to Allah" in the story from GulfNews about Sheikh Khalifa recieving Sheikh Hamdan as Crown Prince. So sweet! If his intentions are correct, I ask Allah s.w.t. to bless him and make him a successful ruler:flowers:

Hello everybody,
I must admit that i'm totally shocked that Sheikh Rashid has been passed fot the position of the Crown prince. I believe that there must have been problems because it is not common that the eldest son doesn't get the position of his father (especially in the orient)
I think because Rashid has a strong character he is not fine with what has happened. He loves his brother. You can see that in many pictures. But lately there were not as many pictures with both.
i really hope that this has not a deep impact of their relationship.
By the way: Has rashid also an official position in the government of dubai?
couldn't hamdan and rashid have been named? Why Maktoum, he is 3 years younger than rashid?
How many times does it have to be said? Rashid has no desire to hold these types of positions. His interests lie elsewhere.

With regard to your statement that it's almost always the eldest son who follows in the footsteps of his father, that is not a true statement anymore.

That isn't true in Abu Dhabi with Sheikh Mohammed being the CP versus a son of Sheikh Kalifa. In fact, Sheikh Zayed put this in place before his death by naming Sheikh Mohammed a Deputy CP while Sheikh Kalifa was still CP.

It isn't true in Dubai where Sheikh Mohammed is now the Ruler versus the eldest son of Sheikh Maktoum.

It isn't true in Sharjah where Sheikh Sultan has chosen the younger brother of his wife to be CP.

It isn't true in Ras al Khaimah either. Nor is it true in Qatar. And I don't believe it is true in Kuwait either.

OMG

why r u changing the subject say mabroook not making a arggrument about wht shk rahsid didnt become the CP

shk rashid is okay with it and and if he had any interst he would hav shown more effort and maktoum has been active by himself he went and done things him self alone without his dad and he was with his dad alot but not as much as hamdan

I could imagine that Rashid will become closely involved with the horseracing operations, eg Goldophin, since he has been around such events much more often than his brothers.

nice pix! thanx Turkish Delight! you always give the best pix of Hamdan!

Wow! Nice pics.
What a pity, Sheikh Rashid is not to see in the pictures :ermm:.

Gulf-news.com has an article as well as 7 pictures from todays event.

Hamdan and Maktoum receive Crown Princes and Deputy Rulers

Dubai: Shaikh Hamdan Bin Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai Crown Prince, and Shaikh Maktoum Bin Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai Deputy Ruler, yesterday received the Crown Princes and Deputy Rulers of the other emirates, who came to congratulate them on their new posts .. - Article&Pictures

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
Does anyone one why sheikh rashid was not by his brother's side in such an important day in his life. I know it must be hard for rashid but at the end of the day he is his brother and that is far more important than any other position in the world. I don't know that's how I feel. We hope to see sheikh rashid soon because he just disappeared for a few months now.

Excuse me, but this is a little bit hard said. Of course he did things to deserve it. Each of them did it his way. Maybe Rashid wasn't that intersted in being CP, but now it seems like he wanted it nevertheless (because he is not seen now at the official introduction of hamdan)
I personally think that this is going on quite a while ,their realtionship has changed, sadly :(
At least I hope they both work it out so that they can be again close like before.

anytime a family has troubles it is sad. all those boys vying for their father's approval was bound to bring out problems. we are only aware of the boys bc of the publicity around them but can you imagine the drama the girls go thru. in my experience girls can be much more dramatic, jealous and competitive.(especially sisters) with all those girls, some from different mothers, i can only imagine! CATFIGHT!!!!!

I congratulate Sh. Hamdan and sh. maktoum their new possition . I think sh.Mohamed took right selection to the next genaration.............. supporting to maktoum family............................

but i have a question: if Hamdan is CP now, does that mean sh. Mohammed is given up his position as ruler now? that worries me right now...

but i have a question: if Hamdan is CP now, does that mean sh. Mohammed is given up his position as ruler now? that worries me right now...

I don't think.Hamdan will do after he dies ,but of course Hamdan will have lots of responsibilities.

i was so scared ;)
i thought sh.Mohammed would give up, he just begun!
but anyways, congratulations to Hamdan (i know we say this all the time, but i'm sooooo happy for him!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom