The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne101 View Post
am happy for hamdan ofcorse...there is no surprise that he was named...it was just a matter of time.

I think its because rashid is my favourite that i feel bad for him....i hope it wasnt due to some shortcoming that he was passed over.

When i fantasize about a guy(like i do with rashid)i like to make sure he has good character. (just joking, please disregard the last sentence)
We all love Rashid!!

Rashid is also my favourite about being CP,but this is Hamdan's right.

Don't feel bad for him,I think he is very happy now.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:00 PM

Crown Prince!

Hello Guys ! This is my first post...

Thought you would all like to hear that today Sheikh Hamdan has been officially declared to be the Crown Price of Dubai. His brother Sheikh Maktoum & uncle Sheikh Hamdan are to be the Deputy Rulers.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Gentry

If Rashid wanted the CP position..he wud get..but Rashid has no intrest in this..thats y his brother Hamdan is the CP..
Dont forget that rashid is mohammeds eldest son..and mohammed wud b glad if his eldest so wud take on the CP..
but we all kno that rashid has no intrest so..hamdan is the the nxt option n hamdan deserves..
at the end ..they r both brothrs..
Old 02-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

you can read all my prior posts and i am not one to speculate about hamdans rumored engagements but i think the announcemet of him being crown prince begs the question, what next? i can only imagine that there is a sheikha already decided upon to be his wife and that this is all part of the "deal."

is it you "dubai-girl" and you just havent told us yet? you sneaky girl! just kidding......
Old 02-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Aristocracy

i am in total shock that sheikh mo left rashed out of the loop. there must be some really bad blood between the two. i did not see sheikh maktoum coming. i know he is bright, but you rarely ever see him with sheikh mo. i would never have guessed that he would be deputy ruler. SHOCKED! i can't imagine hamdan being a player on the international stage. i guess he will get up and read a poem at the UN. this is going to be very interesting to watch to say the least. i think sheikh mo passed up more qualified people to keep it in the family. this might be a big mistake.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Rashed wasnt being groomed for the position or any other position like Hamdan. It was a very obvious who the next crown prince was, it was just a matter of time.

A few articles from gulf-news.com
Shaikh Hamdan appointed Dubai's Crown Prince - article
Right candidate with the right skills to carry the torch of development- article
Business community welcomes 'strong signal' given by new leaders - article
Old 02-02-2008, 04:08 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Rashed wasnt being groomed for the position or any other position like Hamdan. It was a very obvious who the next crown prince was, it was just a matter of time.

A few articles from gulf-news.com
Shaikh Hamdan appointed Dubai's Crown Prince - article
Right candidate with the right skills to carry the torch of development- article
Business community welcomes 'strong signal' given by new leaders - article
Since both boys came back from Sandhurst in 2002, it have been obvious to us who live in the UAE that Sheikh Hamdan was being groomed for the role of Crown Prince. It is well known that Sheikh Rashid would much prefer to pursue other interests.

The simultaneous announcement naming Sheikh Maktoum as a Deputy Ruler continues the tradition begun with the previous generation of having the Deputy Ruler outside the line of succession. And a full brother to the Ruler.

Both are very smart moves.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:11 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubai-girl View Post
congrt hamdan he is the crown price of dubai
REALLY?! congratulations, he's the best choice sheikh Mohammed could have made for this job!
mabrouk!
you're the best Hamdan, we love you!
Old 02-02-2008, 04:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Friends,I think Hamdan will definately marry in these days because of being Crown Prince.What do you think?
Old 02-02-2008, 06:11 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Delight View Post
Friends,I think Hamdan will definately marry in these days because of being Crown Prince.What do you think?
I have no idea but I think it would be good for him to settle down with a nice wive, a bunch of kids and a place to rest from all his responsibilities as a CP.
I hope though he will marry out of love and not only out of duty. And who knows we'll get a glimpse of his future wive and family every now and then. After all, Hamdan is very modern.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettina View Post
I have no idea but I think it would be good for him to settle down with a nice wive, a bunch of kids and a place to rest from all his responsibilities as a CP.
I hope though he will marry out of love and not only out of duty. And who knows we'll get a glimpse of his future wive and family every now and then. After all, Hamdan is very modern.

You have really got a point.
I wonder that :
DO BEING CROWN PRINCE IN GULF COUNTRIES MEAN MARRIAGE ??

I read in a website about this,it said Hamdan will definately marry in these days because he is Crown Prince of Dubai now.

Hamdan is modern Sheikh but he will definately firstly will marry a Sheikha and their marriage will be traditional Muslim marriage.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Hamdan is modern Sheikh but he will definately firstly will marry a Sheikha and their marriage will be traditional Muslim marriage.
Turkish Delight, I don't understand what you want do say but I think Hamdan is a modern man and I don't think that a traditional Muslim marriage rules out Love. Most young muslims do marry for love these days !!

Other question: When Hamdan marries, will there be festivities in the UAE like some sort of national event or is it just a family affair? On the other hand, maybe Hamdan isn't ready to marry right now and wants to wait untill he's adjusted to his new role as CP.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Gentry

Well Hamdan might marry these days...
but we r not sure..coz being a CP in the gulf doesnt mean marriage:)
He will surely marry a Sheikha from al maktoum or al nahyan,,
there is a big possibility that he will marry his cuzin,,,,
but now in most of the sites..they say tht he is gonna marry so we dunno wts true and wts not..
so wait till it gets announced publically
Old 02-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettina View Post
Turkish Delight, I don't understand what you want do say but I think Hamdan is a modern man and I don't think that a traditional Muslim marriage rules out Love. Most young muslims do marry for love these days !!

Other question: When Hamdan marries, will there be festivities in the UAE like some sort of national event or is it just a family affair? On the other hand, maybe Hamdan isn't ready to marry right now and wants to wait untill he's adjusted to his new role as CP.

This is about gulf culture bettina.In gulf countries(Uae,Bahrain,Qatar and lots of..)people marry with their cousins.Not love.Some of them love.
and for Sheikhs from gulfs,THEY HAVE TO MARRY WITH SHEIKHA,SHEIKHAS MARRY WITH SHEIKHS.This is culture.

For Arab muslims,(the outside gulf countries) :muslims marry with in love.Egypt,Tunisia,Lebanon and others..

For other muslims like me:Turkey,and the others not Arab muslims marry with love..

I heared that Gulf weddings are boring!(I don't know if it's true)But UAE Sheikhs don't marry publicly.

I asked that: DO IN GULF COUNTRIES BEING CROWN PRINCE MEAN THAT MARRIAGE HAVE TO?
and maryamii answered! Thanks..
Old 02-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Gentry

Ruling family weddings can be very public and very big. If I remember correctly, when Sheikh Mohammed married Sheikha Hind in 1979, the men's portion of the wedding ceremony was held in the football stadium and more than 80,000 showed up.

Here is a link to pictures from that wedding at the website "dubaiasitusedtobe" HH Sheikh Mohammed's Wedding 1979

Note that according to this website, "The wedding was Dubai's first major public event. Nothing on a similar scale has been held since then."

I myself have attended many weddings of the ruling families and some are very public and very big by western standards.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
The new position doesnt lead to marriage.
To my understanding, the Al-Maktoums dont marry young. Sheikh Mohammed & his brothers married mi/late 30's, sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed is still single and almost 50, other Maktoums the same, this is men, Women tend to marry young.

Things might change, but I dont see him marrying before mid next year.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
The new position doesnt lead to marriage.
To my understanding, the Al-Maktoums dont marry young. Sheikh Mohammed & his brothers married mi/late 30's, sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed is still single and almost 50, other Maktoums the same, this is men, Women tend to marry young.

Things might change, but I dont see him marrying before mid next year.
I think he'll marry someone according to family traditions (probably from Al Maktoum family) this or next year or at least there will be an engagement.

Mo married Sheika Hind in 1979 I think, at the age of 30. Manal was already born though, meaning he might have married earlier although this marriage has never been publicly acknowleged.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Nobility

i am so happy for sheikh hamdan i think he deserves it so congrulations to him :) btw: i am back
Old 02-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Commoner

Congrats to Hamdan!
Just a few questions about Hamdan becoming the new Crown Prince...
Can there be more than one Prince in Dubai together or is there only one at one time? Does this mean Sheikh Mohammed (his father) has given his position to his son? If yes, what will Sheikh Mohammed's duties be now? Also, will Sheikh Hamdan be referred to as High Highness now?
Will it be Prince Hamdan or HH Sheikh Hamdan? Please someone help me out! It would be weird calling Sheikh Hamdan, 'His Highness', not use to it!!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Commoner

i have a question for royal friend and those who live in Dubai...is rashid really okay with it..his not upset or anything? And when you say his interrested in other things, does that mean he is not interested in important things? Sports and horses, dont seem all that important. Did he not do well at Sandhurst?
Did he do something wrong and thats why he was passed over??

I know i keep bringing this up(sorry), i cant get over Rashid being passed ..he seems to have more of a strong character. Am sure Hamdan has his good qualities, but he seems so nice ,sweet and soft. (somewhat of a pushover) You remember that video that had been posted a while back; they were at some games and Rashid was upset over his horse or something; all the people around him took a step back and they seemed afraid of him (including Hamdan)

As well as being well like(which hamdan obviously is)a leader has to be respected and somewhat feared. Like their father (sheikh Mohammed), one look at his face, you know his a man not to be trifled with. For example, for those who watched the 60 minutes presentation of him; at the end that the commenter says "even the horses dont like to disappoint him(sheikh mohammed)."

But then again i would be wrong, what do i know, am just an observer who lives 2 continents away...... They would not have chosen Hamdan if he wasnt deserving of the situation..his father is intelligent enough!!!