The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 01:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by Princess Haya@Jun 29th, 2004 - 10:53 pm
pappillon,
I beg to differ there. There are qualifying standards to compete at the Olympics. Who your parents are or the fact that they rule your country doesn't enter into it. If that were so then the Princess Royal wouldn't have had to do any work to represent Britain in Montreal and Zara would have been an automatic inclusion for Athens.

As Haya did not disgrace herself in Sydney and proved to be up the the standard of others competing in the equestrian competitions we can safely say that she is an Olympic class rider and be assured that she got there on merit not because her brother is King of Jordan.

The people from whom she has had coaching are world class professionals and they have been more than happy to have their names associated with Haya and her participation in the Equestrian competition at the Sydney olympics. They would not put their reputations on the line if she wasn't up to standard.
Well, appreciate your feedback, PH, but we will have to respectfully disagree about this. I just don't believe that if she weren't a princess living in a dictatorship that happens also to be a very small country where the number of globally competitive athletes is negligible and if she weren't supported by a wealthy family that has come by it in dubious ways she would've ever gotten to compete in the Olympics. It's a perk of her position.

Old 06-30-2004, 01:21 AM
Commoner

Jordan Times
Monday, September 4, 2000

Princess Haya confirmed for Sydney Olympics

AMMAN (JT) — Jordan has received confirmation that Her Royal Highness Princess Haya and her horse, Loro Piana Lucilla, will be competing in the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.

Princess Haya received confirmation of her qualification and certificate of capability in August. A quarantine area has been created in Aachen, Germany where Princess Haya's mare stayed for 14 days and was expected to depart for Sydney on Aug. 31.

The mare will then move into another isolation stables before both the horse and Princess Haya are permitted contact with any of the other Olympic horses, riders and personnel.

The Princess and her team have been forewarned that any contact before that date will subject a cancellation of all Olympic Equestrian Sport horses from Europe.

Loro Piana has had to undergo this separate quarantine as Princess Haya's notification of qualification was regrettably delayed, but all is now well.

Princess Haya and her team have confirmed they are grateful and proud to be allowed to compete and are in high spirits and will be concentrated and focused enough for the isolation period to generally not affect their performance. They hope to use that time positively and be allowed to concentrate on their final training time outside the centre of attention.

The trainers of Princess Haya, and the Princess herself have made a special request to the Equestrian Federation that despite all the much appreciated love and support she enjoys from her fans and the press, as the daughter of the late King Hussein and the sister of His Majesty King Abdullah, Princess Haya would like to be treated as any other athlete, to stay in the Olympic Village with other Jordanian athletes, and be relieved of any extra or differential attention from the media. Attaining the level of competition will be her main objective.

The Equestrian Federation is extremely proud of Her Highness' achievement in qualifying and wishes her every success.

Princess Haya fondly recalls that the last time King Hussein introduced her to a guest it was as his “Olympic daughter” and she is proud and relieved to be able to fulfil his expectations for her.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>AUSTRALIA&#33;</span>
Old 06-30-2004, 01:23 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by papillon@Jun 30th, 2004 - 12:03 pm
if she weren&#39;t supported by a wealthy family
Most Equestrian athletes are "supported by wealthy families" and go back far enough and you wouldn&#39;t want to know where some of the money came from&#33;

Old 06-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Most Equestrian athletes are "supported by wealthy families" and go back far enough and you wouldn't want to know where some of the money came from!
But that isn't my point, PH. P. Haya has used mainly her own family's money. Of course talented people will go out and get corporate sponsors and other "outsiders" who will make the athlete undergo a more rigorous vetting process before forking over money than would the immediate family. She has used her position of relative privilege to get where she is in the horse world.

I think we just disagree on this. We should let it rest. No need to post articles from the last Olympics.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:05 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon
But that isn't my point, PH. P. Haya has used mainly her own family's money. Of course talented people will go out and get corporate sponsors and other "outsiders" who will make the athlete undergo a more rigorous vetting process before forking over money than would the immediate family. She has used her position of relative privilege to get where she is in the horse world.

I think we just disagree on this. We should let it rest. No need to post articles from the last Olympics.
Papillon

You might like to read page 3 of the attached link. It sets out the standard required for someone to compete at Olympic level in the equestrian competitions. Whilst this refers primarily to 3 day eventing you should get the overall idea of the standards required and see that they are quite high and that just because your brother & your Dad are Kings ain't gonna get you a spot in the competition!

http://www.horsesport.org/fei/pdfs/referen...004-english.pdf

Old 08-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Courtier

Ipi,

You have to excuse me for not knowing anything about horses other than what I have picked up from your previous posts.

Is it common to refrain from participating in horsy events if your horse is injured? Being married to Master Mo, I'm sure she has the finest of the finest in store. I remember reading an interview with Mo's son Ahmed, who said he had 30 something horses. What does she/they do with her/their other horses then? (and how do I add a confused ? icon)
Old 08-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Humble

I think her Mo did not allow her to participate....or he could not swallow that she would run under Jordanian flag
Old 08-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Aristocracy

actually when she rides-she wears the jordanian flag and says she represents jordan. mo can't do anything about that unless he is willing to give haya a passport. i think that would entail baba zayed & mrs. baba zayed blessing the marriage-not something that is going to happen.

therefore ms. haya is going to stay jordanian.

btw: i know TONS of jordanian women who have married uae men. they ALL want the passport and NONE of them have it. the uae does not hand out passports wontonly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble
I think her Mo did not allow her to participate....or he could not swallow that she would run under Jordanian flag
Old 08-12-2004, 07:08 AM

PH's Horses

Hi All,

My first post.

The last horse result I saw for PH she was riding (Parlour Mountain) Tabatha (Aus), a mare which belongs to Sh Mo. Previous to that the horse last competed in Ireland with Sh Rashid and was hurt. These riders have a tendency to blow the tendons in the legs of the horses, and maybe Tab's were blown again in the last ride. They also change the names of the horses - Yamama is actually registered as Crystal Flyer, also an Australian horse. When Tab left Australia she was considered to be the best endurance horse in the world by her owner, who is one of the best riders in the world. If one is injured, Sh Mo just picks up another horse. Most female endurance riders wear jodhpurs, that's not just in the show ring. Your legs rub much less in jodhs than they do in jeans.

Regards,
Jules
Old 08-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Serene Highness

The biggest problem with endurance riding is that most of the participants are rank amatuers. I had one of them keeping his horses with me and, to be blunt, the guy was an idiot - he knew nothing and some of his ideas bordered on neglect and mistreatment.
I can only hope that Pncss Haya can educate Sheikh Mo and his family into the correct treatment of their horses. The racehorses are well treated and capable staff and trainers are employed to oversee this. Sheikh Mo is very hands on with the racehorses and has earned the respect of people like Queen Elizabeth who is a very knowlegable horsewoman.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Aristocracy

w: endurance is a whole subject in itself.

many endurance riders are quite knowledgeable horsepeople but some are complete friggin idiots. the games the Arabs play with their horses in the endurance areana is known worldwide.

phaya-i doubt she can do anything about this but be an silent conspirator to mo's mechanations. to be perfectly honest-she just doesn't have the clout to stand up to him.

in flat racing, mo is renowned for his horsemanship but endurance it is another story.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Serene Highness

Ipi Tombe
They say "Love can move Mountains" so perhaps Haya has more sway with Mo than we think!
Old 08-14-2004, 11:58 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Haya from Jordan, daughter of former King Hussein and half-sister of King Abdullah shakes hands with Jordanian swimmer Omar Abu Fares 14 August 2004 during a visit to the Jordanian 2004 Olympics Games athletic delegation in Athens. Princess Haya competed in the Sydney Olympics in the equestrian events, but pulled out from the Athens competition after her horse was injured

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51...C30E9B9B114CE8

Old 08-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Aristocracy

she looks much better in these pics than she has in a LONG time.

and amazingly her husband is nowhere to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyonnaise
Princess Haya from Jordan, daughter of former King Hussein and half-sister of King Abdullah shakes hands with Jordanian swimmer Omar Abu Fares 14 August 2004 during a visit to the Jordanian 2004 Olympics Games athletic delegation in Athens. Princess Haya competed in the Sydney Olympics in the equestrian events, but pulled out from the Athens competition after her horse was injured

Old 08-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Humble

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipi Tombe
she looks much better in these pics than she has in a LONG time. and amazingly her husband is nowhere to be seen.
Yes, she looks much better may be because her hubby was not around
When she is with him, he projects his old age on her..Although some men look cute and handsome when they grow older, but Mo looks always stiff and not lively...
Old 08-15-2004, 05:58 AM
Courtier

Talking

I'm so happy she looks like Haya again. I only wish she would remain that way.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Aristocracy

mo used to look much better, also.

when i used to see him in the emirates he did not look like the crabby old man he does next to Haya. he looked like he was 'up for anything' (and whole helluva lot younger). not like he just sentenced someone to a year's worth of detentions. he lost tons of weight recently so from the shoulders down he looks good but from the shoulders up-you can see his age. his fat used to fill out his face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble
Yes, she looks much better may be because her hubby was not around
When she is with him, he projects his old age on her..Although some men look cute and handsome when they grow older, but Mo looks always stiff and not lively...
Old 08-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Aristocracy

Haya makes into wam.org.ae

http://wam.org.ae/NASApp/cs/ContentS...=1041248621847

interesting.....

she doesn't make the photos, though.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:17 AM
Courtier

I think the woman to the right of Zein (?) is Haya.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=39797
Old 09-09-2004, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by La la
I think the woman to the left of Zein (?) is Haya.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=39797
Thats not Princess Zein, its Aisha. And yes, thats Haya to her right

Closed Thread