The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2 View Post
Victoria has a reputation of having excellent skiing skills, so the accident is strange, unless she was more stressed than usual about skiing.
Accidents while skiing are perfectly normal even for a professional for so many reason! Sometimes it's not even your fault, could be a type of snow that is difficult to interpret, not enough light or even someone who doesn't ski very well and makes you lose balance!

Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

Article and pics of Victoria on crutches
Princess Victoria of Sweden suffers sprained ankle during daughter's first ski trip | Mail Online

Old 01-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post

Thanks for the article
The women with red hat, next to Estelle is Queen Silvia
Old 01-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

thanks for ID q silvia who I see is carrying Estelle's skis.
crutches and a foot brace for a sprain, must be a higher grade sprain.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMil View Post

Thanks for the article
The women with red hat, next to Estelle is Queen Silvia
yes. and i think the man with reddish/orange pants is Daniel
Old 01-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Courtier

Is is true that Daniel's first name is Olav? I read he is named Olav Daniel and I'm shocked... If it is true why his title is Prince Daniel? Thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 08:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Is is true that Daniel's first name is Olav? I read he is named Olav Daniel and I'm shocked... If it is true why his title is Prince Daniel? Thanks

His full name is Olof Daniel Westling (Bernadotte these days). His primary name is Daniel. I don't know why you're so shocked about that? Most people in Sweden have several names. It doesn't necessarily have to be the first one that is your primary name.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Courtier

I'm NOT shocked because he has 2 names but because Olof is his first name! It's Olof Daniel and not Daniel Olof Check it out: H.R.H. Prince Daniel - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
He's always been called Prince Daniel so my guessing is that perhaps he has chosen Daniel instead of Olof
Old 01-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Nobility

His parents have chosen Daniel to be his primary name. Not Daniel himself. He was always known as Daniel. Even before he married. It's not unusual to have your second name as your primary name. So there is no reason to read something into it that's not there.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Courtier

Calm down! It's written in his biography and I was just wondering.... Seriously guys, you are always on the alert... :-(
Old 01-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

At least here in Finland it is quite common to use one's second or third name as the primary name. So it has have come to my mind to wonder that Daniel uses his second name. Many parents give three names to their child and decide to use the second or third as the child's primary name.

For example, the government of Sweden has 24 ministers. And 10 of them uses their second or third name as their primary one.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
His parents have chosen Daniel to be his primary name. Not Daniel himself. He was always known as Daniel. Even before he married. It's not unusual to have your second name as your primary name. So there is no reason to read something into it that's not there.
It is unusual if you're from North America where for the most part your first name is your primary name too. I think that's what Marty meant when he said he was shocked by that and came in here asking that question the way he did. He wasn't trying to stir anything up from what I could tell.

This is an International Message Board after all and what's perfectly normal for one part of the World isn't for another. Not a bad idea to keep that in mind.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

An article of Victoria's clothes this year, from Stoppa pressarna, which has got it from Svensk Damtidning.
Kartläggning Här är kronprinsessan Victorias garderob Stoppa Pressarna
Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
It is unusual if you're from North America where for the most part your first name is your primary name too. I think that's what Marty meant when he said he was shocked by that and came in here asking that question the way he did. He wasn't trying to stir anything up from what I could tell.

This is an International Message Board after all and what's perfectly normal for one part of the World isn't for another. Not a bad idea to keep that in mind.
I didn't say he did, did I. I was just saying that it's perfectly normal not to use the first name as primary name.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Commoner

At least in Finland people have usually the shortest name (usually two syllables) as the first name, longer second name with usually three syllables and maybe even longer third name. And then any of the names may be the primary name. To my ears it sound a bit strange, if the first name is longer than the second name. For example Olof Daniel sounds very normal to me, but Daniel Olof wouldn't sound so nice. In my mind I usually read princess Estelle's name as "Stella Silvia Evamaria" to make the rhythm better.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

The political editor of Norran magazine tweeted that she saw Daniel and Estelle go to the Swedish church's open preschool in Solna on Wednesday.
https://twitter.com/Sakine/status/420851091312742400

So also they have returned to Sweden from Italy.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post

Not unusual at all. I can think of a number of colleagues and friends that are using their second name as the primary, both among women and men. It is very common to have the same name as one of your parents so hence if dad is John Martin and is called John then the son with the same name is often called Martin.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

From Twitter, Victoria, Daniel and Estelle today at a lunch at the concert hall of Gävle.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdnZLAMCQAAXItI.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/TWennerstrm/stat...94105110876160

Victoria, Daniel and Estelle visited also the Borlänge Ice Rink. They met the captain of Borlänge Hockey and watched figure skating.
http://distilleryimage9.s3.amazonaws...44f2f955_8.jpg
http://distilleryimage6.s3.amazonaws...1f091a92_8.jpg

They had also visited Hofors Ice Rink, where Daniel used to play icehockey when he was young.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

A Royal Visit
Under Friday training at the ice rink there were many skaters who got very excited. Crown princess Victoria, prince Daniel and princess Estelle watched them skate.
The children said:
- When we saw them we all started to shake!
- Think that you could really meet Victoria and Estelle!
- Victoria was so kind, she asked me if l liked figure skating.
Many skaters got a photo taken with Victoria as a memory for the visit. So Friday training became a memory for the rest of the life for the skaters at the Borlänge Figure Skating Club.
Kungligt besök - Borlänge KK - Konståkning - IdrottOnline Klubb

Royal Splendor in the rink
Borlänge rink got a royal visit on Friday evening.
The young skaters got extra thrills when they saw the celebrities. Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and little Estelle unexpectedly showed up to watch figure skating.
- I was not there myself, but my daughter Tilde called and told me. "We started to shake, but they were very kind," she said, explains Linda Zetterstrom.
The Crown Princess was reportedly in Borlänge to visit a childhood friend of Prince Daniel. One of the daughters in the family goes skating, so they came to watch.
Cellphone cameras were of course hot on the royals. Borlänge Hockeys captain got a photo.
- I saw them in the substitute's bench. It was awesome, not what you would expect from a Friday night after work. So I asked about had to take a photo. They were friendly and humble. They are accustomed to that, says Daniel Eklund.
Kunglig glans i ishallen - Borlänge - dt.se
Old 01-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Cool hockey debute, princess Estelle!

It wasn't just anyone who sat in the bench before Borlänge Hockey's training.The A team should have the training as usual at five o'clock on Friday, and captain Daniel Eklund came to the hall an hour earlier. But there where his teammates usually sit, stood instead Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel with daughter Estelle in his arms.
- I thought that I should have a photo, it doesn't happen every day, says Eklund.
Prince's answer: Absolutely.
- There was no problem. I'm amazed at how well they handle people who want to be photographed with them, it has to happen all the time. They were very nice.

Prince Daniel's friend has a daughter in the figure skating club, they train before the hockey team.
Both skaters like Daniel Eklund became enamored of Princess Estelle.
- She was very sweet. She was so kind and just sat in Daniel's arms and looked at everything.
Eklund talked about hockey with the Prince.
- He had evidently been home in Ockelbo and played a little veteran hockey at Christmas. He said he was pretty rusty, and was wondering how it went for us.
Borlänge has two straight wins - and after that Crown Princess couple warmed the bench Eklund hopes that the shape holds.
- We must hope that it brings luck.

Eklund's photo with Sweden's next Queen was a hit when he put it up on Facebook.
- I think I never had so many comments, he says.
And hockey captain has one last salute to Prince Daniel.
- He is welcome to train with us if he happens to pass, if he thinks he's rusty.
Cool hockey-debut, prinsessan Estelle! Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Tags
crown princess victoria, prince daniel