Swedish Royal Family, Current Events Part 2: December 2004 - December 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GrandDuchess said:
God bless our stylish Queen, she never disappoints. :)
God bless our stylish Queen.
Long live our classy Queen
God Bless our Queen.
Perfect in flowing gowns
And in her suits of brown
She is the best around
God Bless our Queen.

Dennism said:
God Bless our Queen.
Perfect in flowing gowns
She is the best around
God Bless our Queen.

Hahahaha, I want you to sing that in front of Stockholm palace (maybe the window to HM´s office is opened ;) )

Yes, wild...but to create such a wild and almost unkempt look (which should stay the whole evening) it tooks a lot of time- and a hairdresser.

Two more from Fotomarktplatz:

I don´t always want to wake the dogs ("you don´t want, Lena?" ;) ) but what´s thaaaaaat on her right ring finger? It looks pretty big for a self bought, or of a friend or relative given, ring.

Attachments

• ig7.jpg
    ig7.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 390
  • ig8.jpg
    ig8.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 337
Last edited by a moderator:
GrandDuchess said:
Took her time at the hairdresser? Could you repeat? :D I agree with Dennis here, her hair looks wild, almost a bit unkept. The rest of the outfit is pure horror, here most of us seem to agree. I think it was very disappointing - and also disturbing - that she didn't have a nicer outfit, now she was outshined by a lot of ladies present at the gala (and isn't the Crown Princess supposed to be the one that glitters?).

The Queen looked wonderful - as she always does. God bless our stylish Queen, she never disappoints. :)

I know I complain copiously around here about Victoria's ponytail but when I see her hair like this (wild as GrandDuchess says, even unruly), I wish for the ponytail back. It was at least (most of the time) sleek and didn't look like she had just been riding around in a convertible with the top down on a super windy day.

And did Victoria and the Queen even attend the same event? Victoria's outfit looks semi-casual (only the material of the shirt makes it dressier than a normal shirt) while the Queen is in a long skirt and a velvet bolero-like jacket. I do hope that they arrived together but separated in this hall and the Queen attended a more formal occasion and Victoria a rock concert or something. Because if they both attended the same event then one of them is either over dressed or under dressed.

The Queen, as GrandDuchess says, does indeed look wonderful and is not disappointing in the least. Her daughter leaves much to be desired at this occasion.

Alexandria said:
I know I complain copiously around here about Victoria's ponytail but when I see her hair like this (wild as GrandDuchess says, even unruly), I wish for the ponytail back. It was at least (most of the time) sleek and didn't look like she had just been riding around in a convertible with the top down on a super windy day.

O, my. Wish for the ponytail to be back. Ha ha ha. Yes, she got caught in the windy conditions outside. Excellent description.

"Hahahaha, I want you to sing that in front of Stockholm palace (maybe the window to HM´s office is opened )"

Yes, I shall.

Dennism said:
God Bless our Queen.
Perfect in flowing gowns
She is the best around
God Bless our Queen.
King Carl XVI Gustaf should appoint you to Court Singer, and perhaps also Court Poet! :) Wonderful piece, you really should sing it outside Queen Silvia's window - just like Lena suggests! :D

This is probably the first time I wish for that ponytail to return. Perhaps you could write a prayer or a psalm so that we can all use it to evoke to a higher power for the return of the semi-blessed ponytail :D

And did Victoria and the Queen even attend the same event? Victoria's outfit looks semi-casual (only the material of the shirt makes it dressier than a normal shirt) while the Queen is in a long skirt and a velvet bolero-like jacket. I do hope that they arrived together but separated in this hall and the Queen attended a more formal occasion and Victoria a rock concert or something. Because if they both attended the same event then one of them is either over dressed or under dressed.
I know, this is just what I thought when I saw them arriving last night. It was the same event - the Swedish Sports Gala in the Globe Arena.

Last edited:
no gala the 20th due to the events in Asia

Årets första officiella representationsmiddag på Slottet inställd

Mot bakgrund av den tragiska händelsen i Sydostasien har DD.MM. Konungen och Drottningen beslutat att inställa årets första officiella representationsmiddag på Stockholms Slott, som tidigare planerats att äga rum den 20 januari.

GrandDuchess said:
King Carl XVI Gustaf should appoint you to Court Singer, and perhaps also Court Poet! :) Wonderful piece, you really should sing it outside Queen Silvia's window - just like Lena suggests! :D

This is probably the first time I wish for that ponytail to return. Perhaps you could write a prayer or a psalm so that we can all use it to evoke to a higher power for the return of the semi-blessed ponytail :D
Ha ha ha. Maybe I shall. Call the Muses to help bring back the famous(or infamous) ponytail once again! I do like that though "Court Singer"...Court Jester seems to be more up my alley though.

IMO here in this picture (from Getty) her hair looks very good...maybe she gave the impression of a "lioness", when she arrived, but here (later) it looks great. IMO a ponytail to this gala event would have been worse, simply too casual, too boring. Of course this hairdo wouldn´t have been something for the posh Nobel prize award or for her wedding day, but I think for a sports gala it works (while glasses should be left at home-even at sport galas)

Attachments

• ig9.jpg
    ig9.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 360
Lena said:
(while glasses should be left at home-even at sport galas)
Maybe she took them with her for security reasons. Otherwise she might be in danger that she would think one of the sportive men is her boyfriend
:D

Lena said:
IMO here in this picture (from Getty) her hair looks very good...maybe she gave the impression of a "lioness", when she arrived, but here (later) it looks great. IMO a ponytail to this gala event would have been worse, simply too casual, too boring. Of course this hairdo wouldn´t have been something for the posh Nobel prize award or for her wedding day, but I think for a sports gala it works (while glasses should be left at home-even at sport galas)
'Lioness' - Ha ha. :) I agree about the ponytail being out of place on this occasion. I personally don't think her hairstyle looks that bad, but it could be better. She still looked nice though.

Here is a translation of an article in the Expressen today.

King to travel to Thailand to thank the Thai People.

The King´s travel itinerary stretches itself later this spring from Nairobi to Haparanda. His approaching trip to Thailand is to thank the Thai people for their effort in connection with the tsunami. The dates of which in February the two leaders have not decided yet. In Kenya´s capital in March, he will take a look at an UN´s program on the environment and in Haparanda(next to the Finnish border way at the top of Gulf of Bothnia), he will open a monument in remembrance to the 70,000 Finnish children who were sent to Sweden during WW2.

Crown Princess Victoria:) will be taking a row of foreign trips, two of which are really far or long. In March, she will be going to Australia for Swedish Style, a Swedish advertising campaign. Only a month later, she will be going to Bangladesh to study a Swedish program that deals with Aid Assistance activities, assistance with Aid.(I assume with SIDA since they have an office in Dhaka and maybe the Swedish branch of Save the Children as well).

Princess Madeleine will open in the middle of Februrary an exhibition suitably called "Princesses in the Royal Armory".(Sounds exciting).

On Friday, the press chief Ann-Christine Jernberg released the program for the first half of the year for the Royal House. Of the family members who are most successful and most duty bound, the Royal Couple and Crown Princess Victoria take the cake. The younger members of the family, Carl Philip and Madeleine, have only up to now, a few engagements on the program(which makes sense because of their schoolwork).

The Royal Couple are dedicating themselves a number of days in the first half-year to 3 different themes. It begins with a discussion on depression in the area of Assistance development policy and questions on the various things that SIDA(Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency) works on. In February the theme of the day will be on future energy usage and then in March, it will be about how Sweden will be governed in the future. That does not mean that the King will suggest that the Constitution be studied(and hope for some future changes like Regent gets to name national holidays, for example, Ponytail Day or National Skiing Day perhaps:))but that they will merely look at the role of the bodies of government in communities and how they can or should act.

There aren´t any state visits in the first half of the year. But on June 10, they will go to Norway to attend the opening of the Svinesundsbron(bridge to connect a part of Norway with a part of Sweden. It goes over a fjord). Also there is awareness of the loss 100 years ago of the reign of the Bernadottes over the neighboring country. The first national day to be a holiday(June 6, 2005), will find the family celebrating the 400th anniversary of Mariefred Palace as well as the whole family participating in the celebration at Skansen once again.

loving silvia and carl gustaf said:
I thought the royal couple were going to Argentina soon?
Yes, me too!

Thank you so much for the translation, Dennis. Well done (and I like your little side notes).

Hm, looks as if we can forget the idea of a high class Royal wedding in 2005 (well, prince Albert of Monaco could surprise us...but I wouldn´t bet on him). Or do you remember, that any of the young crown princes has made a long trip abroad in his engagement time, and has either taken his fiancée with him or she has studied and waited at home?? If Victoria would marry in late summer, April is (almost) the latest date/month to announce an engagement, but in April she will be in Bangladesh.

Lena said:
Yes, me too!

Thank you so much for the translation, Dennis. Well done (and I like your little side notes)..
You´re welcome. I had forgotten about Argentina. I wonder about that then.

Aftonbladet has some additional information on Victoria´s work in spring:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,592580,00.html

They say she will also go to Denmark to celebrate the Hans Christian Andersen-jubilee (the danes are really crazy about that, can´t say, that e.g. the brothers Grimm are honoured that much...besides I hope Victoria will choose something very elegant to wear. I think with feelings of horror of her first 2 encounters with elegant Mary. Hopefully to dress as/like a gunnysack or frog isn´t her way to show/say "I´m the real crown princess" ;) )
And she will go to Aichi/Japan...there the world exhibition (Expo 05) takes place and Victoria will be there for the "Sweden-day" (quite a long trip for one day).
To Bangladesh is also said, that Victoria has expressed that she also wants to help the victims of the Tsunami, when she´s in Asia.

Where did that State Visit to Argentina go?? I wonder if they've postphoned or cancelled it because of the catastrophy - perhaps the King and Queen feels that they want to focus on other things... But strange, since there's not even a mention of a coming State Visit - because surely they will have to make one or several this year?

Why wasn't state visits from other countries in sweden last year? In the years before each countries goes to sweden. The last visit was the yordanian royals.

Spring/Summer Programme 2005:

January:

April theme for the King and Queen: Swedish foreign aid

#27th Trip to Poland and Auschwitz-Birkenau to attend a ceremony for the commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp, and a seminar with Vice Prime Minister Bosse Ringholm and 500 young people from all over the world (The Crown Princess)

February:

February theme for the King and Queen: Power and energy in the future

# Trip to Thailand to thank King Bhumibol and his people for the Thai people’s work (The King)

# Opening of an exhibition in the Royal Armoury in Stockholm (Princess Madeleine)

# 25th Opening of The Year of the Vikings on Gotland (Crown Princess Victoria)

# 26th Attendance at the opening of the fair Equitana 2005, and opening of the Swedish section at the fair, Essen in Germany (Crown Princess Victoria)

# 25-27th Attendance at the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships in Obersdorf in Germany (The King and Queen)

March:

March theme for the King and Queen: How should Sweden be governed? (distribution of work and responsibilities between municipalities, counties and state)

# 10-18th Trip to Australia to take part in “ Swedish Style” (The Crown Princess)

# Trip to Kenya to study the UN’s environment programme (The King)

# 31-1st State Visit from Lithuania to Sweden

April:

April theme for the King and Queen: EU and the new constitution, Sweden’s future role

# 1-2st Trip to Denmark to take part in the HC Andersen Jubilee Celebrations in Denmark (The Crown Princess)

# 6th Trip to Aichi in Japan to visit Expo-05 and attend The Sweden Day (The Crown Princess)

# Opening of an exhibition at The Royal Academy for the Free Arts (Prince Carl Philip)

# 21-24th Trip to Rome in Italy to take part in the Board Meeting of the World Scout Foundation (The King)

# 26th Visit to Haparanda in the north of Sweden to inaugurate a monument for the 70 000 Finnish children that Sweden took on during the war (The King)

# 29th Opening of the Tycho Brahe Museum in Skåne (The Crown Princess)

# Trip to Bangladesh to study the Swedish aid, and in connection with that possibly a visit to one of the catastrophe-struck areas (The Crown Princess)

# 30th The King’s Birthday

May:

May theme for the King and Queen: Unemployment in Sweden, at the same time as many industries is screaming for people

# 3rd Opening of the World Heritage Museum in Falun, Dalarna (The Crown Princess)

# 25th Awarding of the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award at Skansen in Stockholm (The Crown Princess)

June:

June theme for the King and Queen: The voluntary defence organisations, their structure and work

# 10th Trip to the west coast to attend the opening celebrations for the Svinesunds Bridge between Sweden and Norway. This will be the first of two days on the Swedish Royal Couple's official visit to Norway, marking the Norwegian Centennial Celebration of Independence from Sweden (The King and Queen)

# 11th Opening of The Nobel Peace Center in Oslo together with the Norwegian Royal Couple. This will be the second of two days on the Swedish Royal Couple's official visit to Norway, marking the Norwegian Centennial Celebration of Independence from Sweden (The King and Queen)

# Bernadotte family get-together at Sofiero Palace in Skåne, celebrating 100 years (The Royal Family + relatives?)

Last edited:
Studies

Has Princess Madeleine returned to University yet? Does anybody know what she will study for the spring term?

Thanks, Gita.

Gita said:
Has Princess Madeleine returned to University yet? Does anybody know what she will study for the spring term?

Thanks, Gita.
She surely has, the term has started about one week ago. Since this (loooooooong) term will go until june, I guess we won´t see much of her in spring. I don´t think we will see more single engagements than the two mentioned. Probably she will be present at the birthday of her father, and hopefully at the second (this year first) representation gala. I have no informations on her studies, but I guess she goes on with ethnology.

:D misread lenas post
Tztztztztztz ;)

Support for the Swedish Monarchy Growing.

STOCKHOLM, Jan. 24 (Xinhuanet) -- Support for the Swedish monarchy has grown since the Asian tsunami disaster, with 80 percent of Swedes saying they support the royal family and just 16 percent saying they wanted them removed, Radio Sweden reported on Monday. The royal family normally enjoys 65 to 70 percent popular support but in the aftermath of the tsunami, which saw His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustav speak openly and emotionally about the tragedy, support has grown.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-01/25/content_2503156.htm

Ethnology? She was studing something in art, decoration...was she? why did she change, if she really did it?

La Chen said:
Ethnology? She was studing something in art, decoration...was she? why did she change, if she really did it?
Madeleine started with 60 points (= 3 terms) science of art. Since september 2004 she studies ethnologhy at Stockholm university.
My guess is that she wants to get some sort of diploma, and I think 80 points is a "magister examen"?!

timtonruben359 said:
STOCKHOLM, Jan. 24 (Xinhuanet) -- Support for the Swedish monarchy has grown since the Asian tsunami disaster, with 80 percent of Swedes saying they support the royal family and just 16 percent saying they wanted them removed, Radio Sweden reported on Monday. The royal family normally enjoys 65 to 70 percent popular support but in the aftermath of the tsunami, which saw His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustav speak openly and emotionally about the tragedy, support has grown.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-01/25/content_2503156.htm

This is hardly a surprise but it´s good that it has gone up.

http://www.thelocal.se

Silvia's kidnap worry

Reports suggest that the kidnapping of businessman Fabian Bengtsson has shaken the royal family. A source told Aftonbladet that both the king and queen were concerned for the safety of their children.

"If it was up to Silvia, both Carl Philip and Madeleine would stay home. But she realises that that's out of the question. They've got to live."

The two younger royal children first received regular protection from Säpo, the Swedish security police, in the wake of the kidnapping of Erik Westerberg, the heir of a wealthy industrial family, in 2002.

Anders Kassman, head of Säpo's Personal Protection Squad, commented:

"With such a high profile incident as [the Bengtsson kidnapping], we'll find out what the facts are, see whether they impact the overall threat and take any necessary measures."

Madeleine had what may be a taste of things to come on Saturday night as she partied with boyfriend Jonas Bergström at Kharma, a fashionable bar in Stockholm.

The venue was searched by police in advance of the royal visit and the princess was attended by four Säpo bodyguards, twice the usual number. Three of them were stationed around her table and the fourth was constantly at her side.

It's not known what Jonas made of that, but the extra close attention from Sweden's finest didn't seem to cramp their style too much. The couple left the bar by a side entrance at three o'clock in the morning.

A friend of Madde told Aftonbladet:

"She's not as used to having bodyguards as Victoria. She thinks it's a pain. But at the same time, she's not stupid and realised there's no alternative at the moment."

GrandDuchess thank you so much for the spring schadule i posted someof the events in the chit chat forum in the thread for all the royal watchers

I was at the royal palace with a friend today to see some of the rooms in the palace
we did not have anything to do during the aftersoon so we went

but one of the gudies sais when we was visiting the guest apartment that there are 3 state visits to sweden planned during the year 2005

becouse it has to be planned so they can remove all things that belong when turisits visits the palace

3 state visits that is pretty good

I have edited my earlier post with the spring/summer programme 2005 for the Royal Family, here is what I just added:

Added to February:

# 25th Opening of The Year of the Vikings on Gotland (Crown Princess Victoria)

# 26th Attendance at the opening of the fair Equitana 2005, and opening of the Swedish section at the fair, Essen in Germany (Crown Princess Victoria)

Added to April:

# Opening of an exhibition at The Royal Academy for the Free Arts (Prince Carl Philip)

# 29th Opening of the Tycho Brahe Museum in Skåne (The Crown Princess)

Added to June:

# Bernadotte family get-together at Sofiero Palace in Skåne, celebrating 100 years (The Royal Family + relatives?)

You can find my post with the whole programme I posted here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=167404&postcount=63

Josefine said:
one of the gudies sais when we was visiting the guest apartment that there are 3 state visits to sweden planned during the year 2005
Did you ask which the two other countries, except Lithuania, are who are paying a State Visit to Sweden?

GrandDuchess said:
Did you ask which the two other countries, except Lithuania, are who are paying a State Visit to Sweden?

no she said that the tour gides get the information that os state visits but not what countries and so its always

# 29 Opening of the Tycho Brahe Museum in Skåne (The Crown Princess)

Do you have more information about this, GrandDuchess? Like date, place etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom