The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Courtier

More pics: Victoria de Suède : Une somptueuse princesse pour une soirée de gala...

Old 02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Aristocracy

I think that people are expecting Daniel to become as high profile as his Norwegian and Danish counterparts after the marriage. That is something that will simply not happen. His health plays a role in this but the major reason, I believe, is that Daniel does not want to end up being just a "husband" and wants to have a life outside of his royal duties.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

According to Daniel Nyhlen's blog on Swedish magazine SDT's website, the Swedish Court has a new, highly questionable press policy which denies photographers access to most public engagements of members of the Bernadotte family.
Link:
http://danielnyhlenskungligablogg.svenskdam.se/

Recent engagements of Princess Madeleine (for the charity 'My Great Day', of which she is patron), of Crown Princess Victoria (meeting the members of the team for the Paralympics, for example) as well as part of the King and Queen's schedule fell by the wayside - because they fell under the new 'No photo op' rule, which is given out weekly in the version of the royal calendar that the media representatives receive from the Palace.

IMO this is inexplicable - in fact, it's totally absurd:
A royal family insists on representing their people invisibly, and denies their people a view of how they are being represented.
Since the people also happen to pay for being represented, the tax payer is additionally not getting his money's value from the Royals.

In his artcle, Nyhlen uses uncommonly sharp language, asking why 'a North Korean mentality' suddenly seems to have overcome this royal family.

You could also say that a charity (which depends on publicity for donations) is sabotaged when its royal patron, in this case Madeleine, refuses to give it any publicity; and that a cause like handicapped people in sports (which can use the attention brought to it) is neglected if the Royal involved, in this case Victoria, meets the athletes but insists on shutting out the media.

I can't imagine a single good reason for this move, which seems to have been made as of January this year.

(A year which, by the way, was not only intended to be a big Bernadotte year due to the two royal weddings, but also because of the 200 year jubilee of the Bernadotte dynasty - which so far is not being celebrated at all. Dealing with the media in this fashion will not help the matter.)
Old 02-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Has there been any announcement from the swedish royal family press in regards to this change in policy.
I know i couldn't find any photos for Madelines recent engagements. It's a bit harsh granted if true.
Can the source be trusted?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Can the source be trusted?
In this case, absolutely - because the article is based on the actual royal schedule in the version as handed out each week to the media representatives.
You can see the original pictured under the link, with the 'No photo opportunity' notice added to almost every public engagement.
This new policy already took effect in January, when requests along the lines of 'Where are the pics?' first started to add up in this forum as well.
IMO it's not only harsh, it's essentially counter-productive regarding the very purpose of a representative monarchy and regarding its popularity, and thus completely non-sensical, really.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Nobility

Now they have removed the "no photo opportunity" from the calendar ... Which is all well and good. Just as Boris says it is of course the royal family's task to represent Sweden and no photo opportunities are of course just like in secret ... and that's not good for anyone ... least of all those who wanted someone from the royal family would attend a special occasion to get some extra oomph and flashing lights on their particular organization or its important work ...
I hope that the fact that "no photo opportunity" is now missing from the calendar means that we can continue to see what they do for everyday - those who will represent us and that we actually pay for them to do it (the tax). ..
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 02-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
I hope that the fact that "no photo opportunity" is now missing from the calendar means that we can continue to see what they do for everyday - those who will represent us and that we actually pay for them to do it (the tax). ..
When you say that the 'No photo opportunity' notice was removed, are you referring to the calendar on the official royal website or the schedule which is handed out to media representatives?
The notice was never put up on the website for the public to see, but only added to the schedule for the media...
Old 02-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
When you say that the 'No photo opportunity' notice was removed, are you referring to the calendar on the official royal website or the schedule which is handed out to media representatives?
The notice was never put up on the website for the public to see, but only added to the schedule for the media...
Ok sorry. I was looking in the calender not the press room... But Im sure I saw it on the official website because I thought it was strange with "no photo opportunity" and then some days later you wrote the post abowe and Daniel Nyhlen wrote about it on his blog... so I must have seen It at the official website because Im no press person In the swedish version of the page there is a "pressrum" where you can find "Veckoprogram fr media" and this week its no "no phpto"... but the only thing written there is "Vancouver"
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 02-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for the clarification!
So we'd have to check the 'Pressrum' section to see whether this nonsensical policy continues in the future...
(As they can hardly list "Olympics, Vancouver: No photo opportunity!" )

Thankfully, the Swedish media already ignores the 'warning':
The recent post office appointment of CP Victoria and Daniel Westling was labeled "No photo op...", but photographers turned up regardless and took pics from the outside - inevitably in bad quality.
I have no idea whatsoever why it would have been so hard for Victoria & fianc to pause at the entrance and pose for nicer pics for thirty seconds. It's called "give the public what the public's due."
Old 02-20-2010, 06:20 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Info and pictures of the King, Queen and Carl-Philip in Vancouver at the Winter Olympics should be posted here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/royals-attending-the-winter-olympics-in-vancouver-12-28-february-2010-a-26541-9.html
Old 02-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Thank you for the clarification!
So we'd have to check the 'Pressrum' section to see whether this nonsensical policy continues in the future...
(As they can hardly list "Olympics, Vancouver: No photo opportunity!" )

Thankfully, the Swedish media already ignores the 'warning':
The recent post office appointment of CP Victoria and Daniel Westling was labeled "No photo op...", but photographers turned up regardless and took pics from the outside - inevitably in bad quality.
I have no idea whatsoever why it would have been so hard for Victoria & fianc to pause at the entrance and pose for nicer pics for thirty seconds. It's called "give the public what the public's due."
I agree. Who do the Swedish Courts think they are? The taxpayers pay for the royal families' lifestyle, so I think the least they can get in return is some pics of them at public events. If they can't get decent pics of the royals even at public events, why bother even having a monarchy?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Nobility

Most popular in the Swedish Royal Family: Victoria
Svenskarna överens: Victoria är favoriten i kungafamiljen | Daniel Nyhléns kungliga blogg
Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Carl Philip and King Carl XVI Gustaf amongst the audience when the Royal Palace Sprint takes place in Stockholm March 17, 2010.
ANP Beeldbank
Kungen och prins Carl Philip p skidtvling vid slottet | Svensk Damtidning

King Carl Gustaf shakes hands with Russia's Nikita Kriukov, winner of the men's cross-country sprint final during the World Cup in Stockholm March 17, 2010. Norway's Petter Northug, who placed second, and Sweden's Emil Jonsson, who placed third, stand on either side of Kriukov.
Daylife
The King with Anna Olsson, who won womens cross-country sprint
Aftonbladet

Great photos of the King at the cross-country sprint:
Kungens p gladaste humret bland idrottarna vid Slottet | Daniel Nyhlns kungliga blogg | Svensk Damtidning
Old 03-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Commoner

New Royal stamps

New Royal stamps to be released in a couple of days:

His Majesty (domestic):
http://hugin.info/134112/R/1393843/350873.jpg

Her Majesty (abroad):
http://hugin.info/134112/R/1393799/350857.jpg
Old 04-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Aristocracy

Today the King, Victoria and Daniel met the swedish minister for trade Ewa Bjrling. Here are information about the meeting. Victoria and Daniel are mentioned as "kronprinsessparet". Is it normal that they are called like this before they are married??
Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia❦CarlGustaf View Post
Today the King, Victoria and Daniel met the swedish minister for trade Ewa Bjrling. Here are information about the meeting. Victoria and Daniel are mentioned as "kronprinsessparet". Is it normal that they are called like this before they are married??
In previous statements from the Court Her Royal Highness and Mr. Westling are described as "kronprinsessparet". Personally I'm not too fond of the term and hope that they will, at least officially, be called something else after the wedding.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Aristocracy

What would kronprinsessparet translate as? I'm going to make a random guess and say something along the lines of crown princess couple?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnana View Post
What would kronprinsessparet translate as? I'm going to make a random guess and say something along the lines of crown princess couple?
Exactly! In my opinion it isn't a bad title for them. All the other couples in Europe are called crown prince couple. So it is normal that Victoria and Daniel are called crown princess couple.
I think that should be the last post for this topic. It doesn't belong to the original topic of this thread.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Aristocracy

I don't see the problem either, its accurate term.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia❦CarlGustaf View Post
Exactly! In my opinion it isn't a bad title for them. All the other couples in Europe are called crown prince couple. So it is normal that Victoria and Daniel are called crown princess couple.
I think that should be the last post for this topic. It doesn't belong to the original topic of this thread.
But why not refer to them as the Crown Princely Couple. For Queen Elizabeth II. and the Duke of Edinburgh and Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik the respecitve Courts also don't use the Queens Couple.

Royal Travel and Events

Closed Thread

Tags
bernadotte, carl gustav, carl philip, crown princess victoria, current events, king carl xvi gustav, lilian, prince carl philip, princess birgitta, princess christina mrs magnusson, princess desiree, princess lilian, princess margaretha mrs ambler, queen silvia, silvia, swedish royal family, princess madeleine