Swedish Royal Family, Current Events Part 3: December 2005 - October 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandDuchess

Heir Apparent
City
Somwhere
Country
Sweden
Welcome to part 5 of the threads devoted to the current events of the Royal Family and House of Sweden!

Please remember to observe our TRF Posting Rules & Guidelines.

The old thread can be found here.

Happy posting!

Last edited:
Many royal books to be released 2006!

Next year is a good year when it comes to royal celebrations in Sweden – the King turns 60 and the King and Queen will celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary!

2006 will also be a good year when it comes to new royal books, something which I always look forward too and appreciate. And as I am one who follows the book business a bit, I have found out that next year will indeed have some promising releases by the Swedish publishing houses about the Royal House of Sweden.

- For the King’s 60th birthday the book “Carl XVI Gustaf – conversations with the times” will be released, authored by one of Sweden’s most popular historians, Herman Lindqvist and Court Marshal Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg. The King has personally contributed to this book via long interviews with Mr Lindqvist, and some new light will surely be shed one a few issues. Published by Ekerlids, release in March 2006.

- Another books about the King will also be released, an anthology called “For Sweden – these days” (För Sverige – nuförtiden) with contributions by a number of famous Swedes, amoing them party leader Fredrik Reinfeldt, magazine editor Amelia Adamo and journalist and author Cecilia Hagen. Published by Bokförlaget DN, newspaper Dagens Nyheter’s own publishing company.

- A new book about the Queen is also on its way, “Beloved Silvia” (Älskade Silvia) by Jan Törnqvists and published by Prisma, promises new pictures and personal reflections from friends and family of the Queen.

- About the King’s father, Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf, the book “He whom never became King” (Han som aldrig fick bli kung) will be released covering his life and the faith of never becoming King (as he died in a plane crash). The book is authored by Per Svensson, cultural editor at Expressen and will be published by Norstedts.

- About Queen Victoria of Sweden’s beloved haven, the book “Queen Victoria’s Solliden” (Drottning Victorias Solliden) will be released by publishing house Byggförlaget, authored by Jangfeldt, Ekberg and Ericsson.

Today Victoria and Lillebror Carl Philip met participants of the SIYSS, Stockholm International Youth Science Seminar at the Royal Palace.
Photos by C. Hamarsten

More from Face To Face

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 452
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 395
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 535
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 348
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 491
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 341
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 293
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 388
Last edited by a moderator:
Half pony-tail...it's a start. Hopefully there won't be a ponytail at least for awhile. I didn't really like her black dress, made her look too old. But the hair is a step in the right direction! Carl Philip is handsome as always...:)

Is it just me or is Victoria looking very thin in these new pictures?
Also, are the new books about the family going to be released in English?

Amy said:
Is it just me or is Victoria looking very thin in these new pictures?
Also, are the new books about the family going to be released in English?
Yes, I think she's looking very thin too - but if you look at her face she looks very warm and "alive", which I don't think she did back in the day when she was diagnosed with her eating disorder. But she's very thin, I agree on that.

I don't know if the books will be available in English, I don't think they will be when they are first released, but who knows what will happen after a while...

It'a a good look for Victoria.. at least it's something new..

this event last year was attended by Victoria & Madeleine, right?
a great tradition.. altering between siblings.

Summary of an Expressen article:

ulfrydexpressen0dp.jpg

Picture by Ulf Ryd, Expressen

A few weeks ago the “grand old man” of the Bernadotte family, Count Carl Johan Bernadotte (89) was submitted into the Hospital of Helsingborg for severe stomach pains. His wife, Countess Gunilla Bernadotte said to Expressen that he has suffered an intestine infarction, but that he is doing much better now and will probably be released from the hospital in a few days.

King Carl Gustaf was informed of his only uncle’s health condition and hospitalization at the time it happened, and yesterday he was also informed that Count Carl Johan is doing better.

For the full & original article (in Swedish), go here.

GrandDuchess said:
Yes, I think she's looking very thin too - but if you look at her face she looks very warm and "alive", which I don't think she did back in the day when she was diagnosed with her eating disorder. But she's very thin, I agree on that.

I don't know if the books will be available in English, I don't think they will be when they are first released, but who knows what will happen after a while...

I agree, she looks thin. But IMO she did the whole year 2005 and already at the NPA 2004. It just shows now very much, since she wears so much black (for some ODD reason Victoria prefers black for duties in Sweden. As if it wouldn´t be dark enough there at this time of the year) I guess shape-wise she will look the same at the NPA as last year.

I fear, they won´t be released in English. Even not the popular biographies on Silvia (released in 2001) and on Victoria (released in 2002) were translated into other languages (german, english...). But this fact has improved my Swedish. So not a bad side effect. :)

I´m glad to read Carl Johan is better. In the past years the SRF has lost many of the "grand old men" (Bertil, Lennart...and if I may say so Sigvard...I liked his fight), so let´s hope Carl Johan will stay with us longer...

purple_platinum said:
this event last year was attended by Victoria & Madeleine, right?
Exactly. Here´s a photo from last year:

Lena said:
Today Victoria and Lillebror Carl Philip met participants of the SIYSS, Stockholm International Youth Science Seminar at the Royal Palace.
Images from brunopress

Attachments

• ste_stockholm_in_394620.jpg
    ste_stockholm_in_394620.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 409
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 275
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 446
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 450
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 333
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
more from brunopress

STOCKHOLM INTERNATIONAL YOUTH SCIENCE SEMINAR

Stockholm, Sweden 2005-12-05
SIYSS, is held in Stockholm this week, from Dec 4 to 11. Youth from all over the world are gathered together for a week with a hectic program. On Saturday the 10th they will all participate in the Nobel festivities. Monday the 5th, Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Carl Philip give an audience at the Royal Castle.

Last edited:
more from the meeting with ElBaradei & IAEA from facetoface

Victoria looks lovely with her hair down... :) :)

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 703
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 331
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 469
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 396
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 324
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Victoria has started to wear her hair down much more lately. I think that it lookes lovely on her and is a nice change from the ponytail (that I´m sure will come back to haunt us next year aswell...;) )

Crown Princess Victoria, left, Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf, right, light candles for the dead and missing in last years's tsunami during a ceremony to mark the anniversary, Monday, Dec. 26, 2005, in Stockholm, Sweden. At least 543 Swedes were among the more than 200,000 victims who perished in the tidal waves around the Indian Ocean on Dec. 26 last year or still remain missing a year later.

from polfoto

Attachments

• AP525728_guest.jpg
    AP525728_guest.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 407
Here are a few more pictures from the official memorial ceremony at the Skansen Open Air Museum in Stockholm this afternoon, commemorating the first year anniversary of the tsunami.

I along with many other Swedes watched it live on television in the afternoon, and my judgement of it is that it was very well carried out, simple and with the rememberance in the center of everything. The ceremony was very "still" and solemn, the decorations simple (bare, undecorated, trees on the stage for example) and quite short. Only a few speeches, some songs by singers and a choir and a poem was read.

543 candles, one for each Swede who died in the tsunami, formed a path through the audience and up to the stage - something which made it very clear that they were the center of this ceremony, the mourning of them and the loss for Sweden.

Pictures by Svenska Dagbladet, Reuters via Yahoo and Dagens Nyheter.

Attachments

• Tsunamiceremonin Skansen 26 dec 2005_1.jpg
    Tsunamiceremonin Skansen 26 dec 2005_1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Tsunamiceremonin Skansen 26 dec 2005_2.jpg
    Tsunamiceremonin Skansen 26 dec 2005_2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 768
  • Tsunamiceremonin Skansen 26 dec 2005_4.jpg
    Tsunamiceremonin Skansen 26 dec 2005_4.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 420
  • Tsunamiceremonin Skansen 26 dec 2005_5.jpg
    Tsunamiceremonin Skansen 26 dec 2005_5.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 540
  • Tsunamiceremonin Skansen 26 dec 2005_6.jpg
    Tsunamiceremonin Skansen 26 dec 2005_6.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 411
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051226/lf_afp/asiaquake1yearsweden_051226182509

Sweden mourns hundreds who died in Asian tsunami

STOCKHOLM, Dec 26 (AFP) - Sweden, which suffered more deaths in the Indian Ocean tsunami than any nation outside Asia, remembered its 543 citizens who died in the disaster one year ago.
(...)
Muffled against the cold they took part in a 45-minute ceremony at which the country's King Carl XVI Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria and Prime Minister Goran Persson were present. Hymns were sung and poems read.

The setting looks really nice.. and the atmosphere must be pretty mellow and sad..
the Crown Princess looks beautiful in that white hat.

from royalcourt.se

2 more photos from getty

Attachments

• 56488211.jpg
    56488211.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 56488213.jpg
    56488213.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
purple_platinum said:
the Crown Princess looks beautiful in that white hat.
Thank you for the photos and article about this mournful ceremony. Yes, she does. She really does.

Here is a picture of a very moved Queen Silvia and Crown Princess Victoria, who was even crying, at the official memorial ceremony at the Skansen Open Air Museum in Stockholm yesterday afternoon, commemorating the first year anniversary of the tsunami.

Picture by Jonas Lemberg/Expressen.

Attachments

• Tsunamiceremonin Skansen 26 dec 2005_7.jpg
    Tsunamiceremonin Skansen 26 dec 2005_7.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 404
Thank you for these photos from Skansen, Purple_Platinum and GrandDuchess. It was clearly an emotional experience for the Royal Family as well.

Summary of an Aftonbladet article and ranking list news...

Sweden's most powerful people 2005

A jury consisting of 32 chosen people have listed Sweden’s most powerful people 2005. The quite impressive jury had as their task to rank the 30 most powerful, and then a 100 list were made out of their point system for the ranking.

The criteria’s for power on their list is as follows:
- Ability to set the agenda of the public debate
- Ability to set the agenda around the coffee tables
- Ability to influence the law
- Ability to influence people’s habits, interests and consumption
- Ability to affect people’s finances

The top 10:

1. Göran Persson, Prime Minister
2. Fredrik Reinfeldt, Party Leader for Moderaterna (Conservatives)
3. Carl-Henrik Svanberg, President and CEO of Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson
4. Pär Nuder, Minister for Finance
5. Wanja Lundby-Wedin, Chairman of The Swedish Trade Union Confederation
6. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, football pro for Juventus
7. Margot Wallström, Vice Chairman of the EU Commission
8. Christina Stenbeck, leader of the Stenbeck corporate empire
9. King Carl XVI Gustaf, Head of State
10. Lars Heikensten, Governor of The Bank of Sweden and Chairman of the Executive Board

Princess Madeleine is listed on the 22nd place, and Crown Princess Victoria follows her on the 23rd place.

I think the reason Madeleine came one place before Victoria is because while Victoria is the most admired of the two and will have more symbolic power one day as the Head of State - Madeleine is a trend setter, and thus has the ability to affect people's consumption and via that finances... Also, Madeleine is a media favourite and is more of a headline setter than Victoria is.

Neither the Queen nor Prince Carl Philip was on the list.

The full ranking list can be found here.

Translation & summary of an Expressen article...

Sweden's most admired men & women 2005

At this time of year, ICA Kuriren (one of Sweden’s biggest magazines) have released their traditional listing of Sweden’s most admired women and men of the year. The investigation for their report is done by Sifo Research International, and three members of the Royal Family are on the lists…

Men

1. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, football pro (rank last year: 7)
2. King Carl XVI Gustaf, Head of State (rank last year: 3)
3. Stefan Holm, athlete (rank last year: 4)
4. Göran Persson, Prime Minister (rank last year: 2)
5. Mikael Persbrandt, actor (not on the list last year)
6. Fredrik Reinfeldt, Party Leader for Moderaterna/Conservatives (rank last year: 7)
7. Ingvar Kamprad, IKEA founder (rank last year 6)
8. Tony Rickardsson, speedway driver (not on the list last year)
9. Henrik Larsson, football pro (rank last year: 1)
10. Carl Bildt, former Prime Minister (not on the list last year)

Women

1. Carolina Klüft, athlete (rank last year: 1)
2. Margot Wallström, Vice Chairman of the EU Commission (rank last year: 2, shared)
3. Queen Silvia, Queen Consort (rank last year: 2, shared)
4. Crown Princess Victoria, Heir to the Throne (rank last year: 9)
5. Antonia Ax:son Johnson, corporate leader (rank last year: 10)
6. Lottie Knutsson, Director of Information for one of Sweden’s larges travelling agencies (rank last year: 3)
7. Annika Sörenstam, golf pro (rank last year: 6)
8. Kajsa Bergqvist, athlete (not on the list last year)
9. Mona Sahlin, Minister for Sustainable Development (rank last year: 5)
10. Gudrun Schyman, politician (rank last year: 8)

The full & original article can be found here.

Last edited:
purple_platinum said:
several more from facetoface

.jpg
.jpg

ooooohhhh!!!! it hurts. that hat!:eek: :eek: can't bear it. its so awful!

did any of you guys see the movie 'Coneheads' that came out in 1993? well i think victoria's seen it and liked it veerrry verrry much.
200pxconeheadsposter9ot.jpg

image from wikipedia

This thread is continually degraded by boorish negative comments and pictures. If you believe that your opinion of the white hat is of general interest at least present your opinion in a polite and respectful way.

grevinnan said:
This thread is continually degraded by boorish negative comments and pictures. If you believe that your opinion of the white hat is of general interest at least present your opinion in a polite and respectful way.

I like the hat and since it was a solemn memorial service and since it was cold and one had to protect the ears, I thought it´s not worth to mention it.
Anyway I think it doesn´t add much positive to threads either, when you point all the time out, that it´s so negative to say an opinion, which isn´t sugar-sugar-honey etc. pp.
No offence :)

Interesting lists, GrandDuchess. Thanks for posting them.
Maybe I wouldn´t have called the first one "Most powerful people", since the criteria IMO don´t really describe Sweden´s most powerful people. Those, who I would consider as powerful, aren´t mentioned in the list either. Or better said, what have Zlatan and Madeleine to do there?? I think for them the motto for the list maybe should have been "Most talked about people in Sweden", this would also go together with the first two points of the criteria.

I think it´s always funny, how Royals make it into the "most admired list". Liza Marklund (author and columnist) has once said about Royals high ranked in this list:
they are famous because they are famous, because they are famous. Publicity is power, the confirmation of being.
Crown Princess Victoria is, therefore she is admired.
I think this describes it perfectly. People would surely judge differently, when they would have more time to think and research about it.
It´s not, that I don´t like them and I also don´t think, that people don´t like them. But to be on the top on a list, which is about being admired for something one has done...I don´t know.

A cheap disgusting repeating side-kick from me: I don´t know, why Victoria is better ranked than in 2004 :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom