Swedish Royal Family, Current Events Part 2: December 2004 - December 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandDuchess

Heir Apparent
City
Somwhere
Country
Sweden
Time for a new Family News (for news including more than one royal) thread, since the old one is now 10 pages. You can find the old thread, Family News 2, here. Happy reading!

From the Local(Journalistic Excellence in English about Sweden)

The people have spoken – Crown Princess Victoria is the intellectual of the Bernadotte family. This was the main finding of an Internet survey on perceptions of the Swedish royal family’s academic prowess that might have left King Carl Gustaf feeling slighted – only three percent of Swedes thought that the monarch was brighter than his kids.

The survey, carried out by Internet company IC Research, questioned a “representative sample” of the Swedish people, it was reported in Aftonbladet. But the survey’s apparent credentials did nothing to impress the royal press spokeswoman, Ann-Christine Jernberg.

“I think it is distasteful that people vote about such things,” she told Aftonbladet. Yet maybe things really aren’t all that bad for the king: the survey also revealed that Swedes think that he is a good representative for Sweden, and that the monarchy will still be around in a hundred years.

Still, when it came to nominations for the brain of Drottningholm, the king’s popularity couldn’t save him. Victoria, with 34.7 percent of the votes, had clearly managed to overcome people's prejudices about the intellect of royalty. Respondents appeared to be impressed by her academic record: she has taken courses at Yale and studied French at a university in Angers, France.

The heir to the throne was followed in the royal brain stakes by her mother Queen Silvia and sister, Princess Madeleine, but the monarch himself was considered to be the brightest in his family by only 2.9 percent of respondents.

As if it wasn’t cruel enough that His Majesty’s subjects think that someone else has inherited the family brain cells, they also believe that he should get less money. Forty-nine percent of respondents said that the royal house gets too much money from the state – a view that was given short shrift by a school-marmish Ann-Christine Jernberg:

“Those who have said that don’t know where the money goes,” she said. “I suggest they read our annual accounts on the website”.

A "wonderful" (pre) Christmas-gift for the Royal family: Aftonbladet has listed all violations of the parking laws, caused through the Royal family, esp. the younger members.
Aftonbladet claims that the Royal court had to pay 26.125 SEK (2900 EUR) in the past 4 years. And they have "collected" 47 tickets for wrong parking in the past years. Of course employees, who use cars of the Royal court are also included, but more than the half were caused through the Royal children.
Carl Philip is worst with 19 tickets.
Daniel Westling (when he does something good, than he´s just "Daniel from Ockelbo" and when he causes something bad then he suddenly is an "almost member of the court" ;) ) has parked on the 27th of May 2004 in the middle of a "busy" street, so that the other cars had to drive around his car. Danne has also parked the wrong way in a terminal of Arlanda Airport. His last (of 9 this year) ticket is from October, 20.
Also from October is princess Madeleine´s last (the last one of 6, since she drives her Lexus) parking ticket, but she (the court) hasn´t paid it so far. It´s Christmas!-can´t they show pity for little Madeleine?! She has to pay the Christmas gifts for Jonas. But maybe auntie Lilian will give her grandniece a little bit money for her piggybank for Christmas, so that she can pay it then ;) ;)

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,577100,00.html

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,577097,00.html

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,577098,00.html

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,577099,00.html

Lena said:
Aftonbladet claims that the Royal court had to pay 26.125 SEK (2900 EUR) in the past 4 hours.
2900 € for wrong parking in 4 h :eek:. How to manage that? Taking all vehicles from the royal mews and park them at forbidden areas?

mixer2002de said:
2900 € for wrong parking in 4 h :eek:. How to manage that? Taking all vehicles from the royal mews and park them at forbidden areas?
Ops, my mistake :D Of course it´s years! (time to get a coffee, Lena)

edit: haha you were faster than me this time Lena!

Wow, what can one say about these articles?!
Shame on the royals... They have millions and they cannot pay for themself? Lazyness? Ignorance? Stupidity?

Last edited:
Yennie said:
edit: haha you were faster than me this time Lena!

Wow, what can one say about these articles?!
Shame on the royals... They have millions and they cannot pay for themself? Lazyness? Ignorance? Stupidity?
Has not Pappa kungen pay for them? If I would be him I would have a little conversation with them.

mixer2002de said:
Has not Pappa kungen pay for them? If I would be him I would have a little conversation with them.
Yes, but then they would mention that Pappa Kungen has also parked his Pajero 3 times wrong in the past years. It seems, they are chips of the old block ;) On the other hand those 3 times of course aren´t compareable to that, what his children have caused.
I also wonder the same like (this time slower ;) ) Yennie. They live in Sweden, they should know, that this would become public in this "glassy state". And they should know, that they are role models. But when they do such things, they automatically give the impression, that they enjoy the good things, but don´t take over responsibility. Get a bike, CP, Madeleine and Danne!

Good grief. That´s a lot for parking tickets. This is a problem that should be fixed.

Dennism said:
Good grief. That´s a lot for parking tickets. This is a problem that should be fixed.
I´m for a second mentor for Madeleine, and a first one for Carl Philip. "And here Madeleine, you have to drop the coin, then you get a ticket...and now you have to place it in the car...no, Madeleine a little bit more to the left, so that the traffic warden has no problem to see it...yes, Madeleine, well done Madeleine. I´m proud of you. And now I will teach that to your brother." ;)

And "Mr. health" aka Daniel Westling could really go to his gyms (they are in the same district!) , instead of driving and parking then wrong.

Yes, good idea. Mentor Madeleine on parking. Obviously genetics nor environment have not helped out in this case. Yes, I always knew you wanted to get CP alone in a car...As for Mr. Health, for some reason 4 words come to mind "long walk, short pier." :) Anyway, few people have had no driving or parking infractions but few have families where this seems to be this big of a problem.

Lena said:
Yes, but then they would mention that Pappa Kungen has also parked his Pajero 3 times wrong in the past years. It seems, they are chips of the old block ;) On the other hand those 3 times of course aren´t compareable to that, what his children have caused.
I also wonder the same like (this time slower ;) ) Yennie. They live in Sweden, they should know, that this would become public in this "glassy state". And they should know, that they are role models. But when they do such things, they automatically give the impression, that they enjoy the good things, but don´t take over responsibility. Get a bike, CP, Madeleine and Danne!
So 3 times are about 150€ at maximum if wrong parking is expensive. But where does the rest come from? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a permanent parking ticket?

Thank you Dennis.
I know this is mean, but I can´t stop laughing, when reading this dialogue and looking at the pictures. Victoria and Madeleine are almost perfectly copied.

I like it to! Very funny :)
I think the royal court shouldn´t take things like this so serious!
when they react, the programme gets a lot of attention and that is exactly what they wants

Yennie said:
I like it to! Very funny :)
I think the royal court shouldn´t take things like this so serious!
when they react, the programme gets a lot of attention and that is exactly what they wants
Agree totally. But I guess we can´t expect complex thinking of Ann Christine Jernberg and ETW ;)

IMO the one, who acts as Carl Philip (David Hellenius?) could/should get a job as Daniel Westling-double in the future.
A picture of an earlier show of Peter Magnusson as Silvia:

Attachments

• Peter.jpg
    Peter.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 442
Love that photo of "Silvia". Anyway, the press chiefs should ignore it. If one replies to ridiculous stories or whatever, then the "story" will be that the Court, politician or whatever, replied. Ignore it and it will eventually go away. Especially short term things like this piece.

The Kings cousin, count Lennart Bernadotte died earlier tonight at the age of 95.
Lennart Bernadotte died in his home at Mainau, sourunded by his family.

R.I.P

Last edited:
Here's an okay little review of last night's annual programme "Året med Kungafamiljen" ("The Year with the Royal Family") on SVT from the Local:

Royals reflect on year that ended in tragedy

The producers of the traditional SVT television documentary on the Swedish royal family’s year were faced with a dilemma. They had finished producing their programme well before Christmas and the events in South East Asia, yet Sweden’s first family could hardly speak to the nation without mentioning the events that have shaken their country and the world over the past weeks.

An extra interview with the King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia was therefore recorded by Swedish Television, in which the royal couple reiterated their sympathy for the victims – both Swedes and non-Swedes – affected by the tsunami disaster. The king remarked how affected the Swedish people were by the scale of the catastrophe, not simply because a large number of Swedes died but out of concern for people of all nationalities.

Talking about the children who have lost parents in the tsunami, the king reflected on his own experiences of losing his father as a young boy. Although he said that he was too young to remember it properly, he remarked that in those days it was “taboo to talk about your feelings”, and added that there was more help available for children who lost parents today.

Queen Silvia, who is heavily involved in the charity the World Childhood Foundation, also focused on the plight of children. She said that “to be there” for those affected by the tragedy was the most important thing that people could do.

The royals’ comments about the tsunami followed a wide-ranging interview about the royal year, in which the royal children talked about their desire for privacy, and in which the whole family rallied round the king after the controversy of his comments during a state visit to Brunei earlier this year.

During that visit, Carl Gustaf said in an interview that the Sultan had “an enormous closeness to his people”, comments that were interpreted by many in Sweden as condoning his autocratic rule.

But in the new interview, the king said that his comments “were not actually interpreted in the way that I intended.”

His family were, if anything, more forthright in their defence of Carl Gustaf. Queen Silvia complained that the king “never got a chance to defend himself”, and pointed out that “we were on a goodwill visit, and staying in [the Sultan’s] house”. Princess Madeleine talked of her feelings, saying “it was hard for us, knowing that dad was getting such a hard ride.”

The interview also touched on the lighter side of royal life, showing the king and queen reviewing the new stamps that bear their portraits. The king, whilst not saying what he thought of the likeness, said that it was “a great honour that one is still allowed to appear” on the stamps.

The younger royals, whose interview was filmed separately from that with their parents, also talked about the pressures of royal life. They said that they were frustrated by the way the press portrays them, and reserved their strongest criticism for the newspapers’ treatment of Princess Madeleine.

“The picture of Madeleine as a party princess is completely wrong,” said Crown Princess Victoria.

The princesses and their brother, Prince Carl Philip, also talked about the difficulties of maintaining a private life. Victoria was reluctant to go into any details about her relationship, although she did acknowledge that Daniel Westling was her boyfriend.

“ I think it affects every relationship when one of you is in the public eye,” she said. Madeleine, while sticking to the policy of not discussing her private life, said that “sometimes I think it would be good to be open about it.” But her elder sister was having none of it, retorting that this would just encourage greater intrusion.

When do the royalcourt public a new "kalender"(week 2 as follow,2005) for the official terms from the royal family?

ursulajohanna said:
When do the royalcourt public a new "kalender"(week 2 as follow,2005) for the official terms from the royal family?
I've been wondering that too. When the tsunami catastrophe occured, the King and Queen immediately interrupted their vacation, and they have done numerous things in connection with it - but that has been announced only via press releases. So let's hope for a new calendar of official engagements this Friday at the latest (which I will of course translate).

Last edited:
> H.M. The Queen, H.R.H. The Crown Princess
Attendance at the Swedish Sports Gala 2005
The Globe Arena, Stockholm

last year it was the king and the prince

next year woiuld it be madeleine by her self
any photos yet

First pics from Svenska Dagbladet:

Attachments

• ig1.jpg
    ig1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 508
  • ig2.jpg
    ig2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 455
  • ig3.jpg
    ig3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 403
  • ig4.jpg
    ig4.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 341
Victorias hair:) Nice
The rest of the outfit:eek: Pure horror, and when she obiously took her time at the hairdresser she could have left the glasses at home
The Queen looks elegant as usual

Larzen said:
Victorias hair:) Nice
The rest of the outfit:eek: Pure horror, and when she obiously took her time at the hairdresser she could have left the glasses at home
The Queen looks elegant as usual
I agree with you. Though this top looks like a piece, Mary could have worn (silky material, moss-green colour..something that Mary wore often in the beginning) I don´t think Victoria can wear that! It looks so tight (I hope it/the seams rip, when she gets out of it-otherwise we will see it again...and again...and again) That I don´t like trousers at galas, I think I´ve said it often enough.
The real drama with this is, that Victoria always looks like an ugly duckling (in comparison), when she stands next to her (61 year old!!!) mother.

But yes, her hair looks good...finally more volume, and no ponytail.

While I like the hair to the sides like that and long, I think it just looks too casual and too, well, not unkempt but just wild. I like the glasses, of course. Anyway, Silvia is a vision as always.

Dennism said:
While I like the hair to the sides like that and long, I think it just looks too casual and too, well, not unkempt but just wild. I like the glasses, of course. Anyway, Silvia is a vision as always.
Even Dennis prefers the dress of Silvia...:D
Seems as Vicky really has got not that kind of a good taste :eek:

Yes, I won´t say it´s a horror like Lena but I´ve seen better and I´ve seen a whole lot worse.

Picture from Aftonbladet

BTW Lena hasn´t said, it´s a horror, but she thinks it is ;)

Funny pic from Svd (We have seen Victoria doing this before...but then with Haakon, haven´t we ;) ):

No, little correction. Haakon has searched something under the table, and Victoria was seated next to him (sorry Victoria, you aren´t a naughty "under the desk"-searcher...you have just learned from Haakon ;) ):

Attachments

• ig5.jpg
    ig5.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 352
  • ig6.jpg
    ig6.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 371
  • haakon.jpg
    haakon.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 395
Last edited by a moderator:
Lena said:
Picture from Aftonbladet

BTW Lena hasn´t said, it´s a horror, but she thinks it is ;)
Absolutely right. I read it too quickly. It was our good buddy Larzen. Ahh, the secrets of hands under the table...

Larzen said:
and when she obiously took her time at the hairdresser
Took her time at the hairdresser? Could you repeat? :D I agree with Dennis here, her hair looks wild, almost a bit unkept. The rest of the outfit is pure horror, here most of us seem to agree. I think it was very disappointing - and also disturbing - that she didn't have a nicer outfit, now she was outshined by a lot of ladies present at the gala (and isn't the Crown Princess supposed to be the one that glitters?).

The Queen looked wonderful - as she always does. God bless our stylish Queen, she never disappoints. :)

Attachments

• galaskytt463.jpg
    galaskytt463.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 358
  • holm-bord-idrottsgalan-prb-411.jpg
    holm-bord-idrottsgalan-prb-411.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 284
  • hvinn1.jpg
    hvinn1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 326
Status
Not open for further replies.