The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
The Official Dinner last night:

Yesterday the King and Queen hosted an Official Dinner at the Royal Palace of Stockholm. In attendance were also Prince Carl Philip, Princess Lilian and Princess Christina Mrs Magnusson with her husband, Consul-General Tord Magnusson. Count Bertil Bernadotte and his wife Jill were also among the guests.

The menu consisted of salmon in three ways: root beet marinated, tureen of smoked salmon and salmon tartar. On the menu were also fried perch with shellfish risotto, roasted fillet of beef with sweet potato purée and glazed small onions. Banana soufflé with milk chocolate ice cream.

The King lead Anitra Steen, the wife of the Prime Minister, to the table and had Carin Eliasson, the wife of the Marshall of the Realm, on his other side. The Queen was lead to the table by Prime Minister Göran Persson, and had the Marshall of the Realm, Ingemar Eliasson, on her other side. The Marshall of the Realm in his turn lead Princess Lilian to the table, she had the Ambassador of Austria to Sweden, Dr. Peter Pramberger, on her other side. Prince Carl Philip lead Helén Bodström, the wife of the Minister for Justice, to the table, and had Anitra Steen, the wife of the Prime Minister, on his other side.
And another picture of the King and Queen, and a little better view perhaps of the grand and wonderful Braganca tiara! From Fotomarktplatz:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Representationsmiddag 10 mars 2005_4.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	108354  

Old 03-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Courtier

How could Bertil be present? i thought he is dead already or is ther another Bertil?

Old 03-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
How could Bertil be present? i thought he is dead already or is ther another Bertil?
If you read my text, you can see that it says:
Quote:
Count Bertil Bernadotte and his wife Jill were also among the guests.
And I think you understand yourself that this is not Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland (who died in 1997) - married to Princess Lilian....

The one mentioned in my post, who was a guest at the Official Dinner is Count Bertil Bernadotte of Wisborg, son of the late Folke Bernadotte.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

This isn´t really news, but since it was about the whole family I post it here!

When I was looking trough my albums for a another photo, I came across these two. And I just had to share :)
They are from Madeleines graduation party in June 2001.
The king, queen and Victoria acted as "rumpnissar" from Astrid Lindgrens story "Ronja Rövardotter. That was Madeleines favourite book when she was little :)
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I have edited my earlier post with the spring/summer programme 2005 for the Royal Family, here is what I just added:

Added to May:

# 3rd Opening of the World Heritage Museum in Falun, Dalarna (The Crown Princess)

# 25th Awarding of the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award at Skansen in Stockholm (The Crown Princess)

You can find my original post with the spring/summer programme here :
Old 03-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Through a discussion with GrandDuchess I´m very confused now. When a Swede reads "Lettland"...which country is it then for him/her on this map (the one on the top-in english Estonia...the one in the middle-in english Latvia or the one on the bottom-in english Lithuania)?
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/commo...st-baltics.jpg

I´ve read on royalcourt.se "Lettland" and have translated it with "Latvia"...because we know the term "Lettland" in german (too) and we would translate it with Latvia (for us it´s the country in the middle).
And when I should name the terms for the ppl in the 3 baltic countries then I would say:
Estonia-estonian ppl
Latvia-latvian ppl
Lithuania-lithuanian ppl

So to sum this confusing post: is next week the head of Latvia (Vaira Vike-Freiberga) going to Sweden. And do we call her "latvian president"???
Old 03-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
Through a discussion with GrandDuchess I´m very confused now. When a Swede reads "Lettland"...which country is it then for him/her on this map (the one on the top-in english Estonia...the one in the middle-in english Latvia or the one on the bottom-in english Lithuania)?
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/commo...st-baltics.jpg

I´ve read on royalcourt.se "Lettland" and have translated it with "Latvia"...because we know the term "Lettland" in german (too) and we would translate it with Latvia (for us it´s the country in the middle).
And when I should name the terms for the ppl in the 3 baltic countries then I would say:
Estonia-estonian ppl
Latvia-latvian ppl
Lithuania-lithuanian ppl

So to sum this confusing post: is next week the head of Latvia (Vaira Vike-Freiberga) going to Sweden. And do we call her "latvian president"???
My mistake, I was a bit confused there :) Of course it's Latvia!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Heir Apparent

News from the circles of the royal children...

As we know the royal children are getting older and the circles around them (their friends) have started to form families of their own since some time.

Last June (2004), Princess Madeleine was a guest at the wedding of her best friends Lina and Tom Davidsson, when they tied the knot in the chapel of Djursholm. Happy news from their front is that they Lina is expecting, and the happy couple will be parents in time for their 1st anniversary!

And more wedding bells will soon ring in the circles around the royal children...

# One of Crown Princess Victoria's best friends since their school days, Martina Gahn, have become engaged to her boyfriend - Count Johan Bonde!

# One of Prince Carl Philip's school friends from Lundsberg Boarding School, John Bernström, have become engaged to Louise Barkman, and they will marry this summer with the Prince as the best man! :)
Old 03-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Interesting...thank you GrandDuchess. What is the source? And isn´t Lina more the friend of Victoria (who couldn´t attend the wedding, because of the baptism of her godchild Catharina Amalia) I hope we get to see pictures/videos from the Royal children attending the wedding(s). The pictures of the wedding of Andrea Engsäll are (IMO) ones of the most interesting private pictures, I´ve seen of the Royal children in the past years.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the Tamm family is friends with the royal family. But as you said Lena, I also think Carolina Tham is friends with Victoria. Aren´t they the same age?

One thing I find interesting, is that many of Victoria and Madeleine´s friends are well-known to the public. Ofcourse its individual, but I´ve heard so much more about the friends of V & M than I have with the friends of Carl Philip. For example, I´ve never heard of John Bernström before...
Old 03-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie

One thing I find interesting, is that many of Victoria and Madeleine´s friends are well-known to the public. Ofcourse its individual, but I´ve heard so much more about the friends of V & M than I have with the friends of Carl Philip. For example, I´ve never heard of John Bernström before...
I agree! (we haven´t agreed for a while Yennie, so it´s about time ) I neither know John, nor I can name any other friend of CP. But I (partly) even know professions, girlfriends etc. of Madeleine´s and Victoria´s friends.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks for sharing the news..With their friends getting married, I wonder if the siblings are thinking about married life for themselves.

~Happy Easter!!~
Old 03-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa
Thanks for sharing the news..With their friends getting married, I wonder if the siblings are thinking about married life for themselves.
I hope so! It's about time for Sweden to share in the royal nuptials and births! The Dutch royals need to rub off some of this happiness with their Swedish counterparts!

I am about a year younger than Victoria and my friends are getting engaged, married and buying their first homes left right and centre. I think such things happen in "waves" and you either get caught up in them or you don't -- sometimes for personal reasons (eg. not ready emotionally/financially). Nearly three years ago my friends and I were graduating from university and we all went out and bought new cars, three years into careers we are buying our first homes, becoming engaged and married. In the next two years I predict that within my circle of friends we'll be hosting baby showers instead of bridal showers.

Victoria is in a unique role and can't necessarily be caught up on the "wave" of life as her friends are, but I do think in the last few years particularly she's proven that she's ready for marriage (I guess the ultimate question is whether Daniel is.) and how to pair that with her duties and obligations in life.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Royal Highness

Hehe..i'm in the same boat as you, and the three siblings. :)

All my friends (not all--but it seems that way ) are all getting married and starting families of their own, and all too often I am left wondering if i'm "missing" something. We grew up together, went to school together, and here the majority of them are getting married and starting families..Bahhh:p
Old 03-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Hehe..i'm in the same boat as you, and the three siblings. :)

All my friends (not all--but it seems that way ) are all getting married and starting families of their own, and all too often I am left wondering if i'm "missing" something. We grew up together, went to school together, and here the majority of them are getting married and starting families..Bahhh:p
I can perfectly understand the "Am I missing something" concept!

I wonder if the Swedish siblings (and you Alisa?) feel as I do -- that once your friends have bought their first homes (maybe this doesn't apply to the Swedish siblings), gotten engaged then married then started to have children pressure from them for you to do the same? Like you, my friends and I grew up together -- we have been friends since we were 4 years old which means more than 20 years of changes and growing up together. I get asked all the time when I am going to settle down and lots of set ups with the single male friends of their fiancees or husbands. I guess their fiancees and husbands don't like the idea of their male friends being single any more than my female friends like the idea of me being single! But I guess with Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine all having been in long term relationships the question for them is more likely "When are you getting married."
Old 03-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

That´s interesting, Alexandria. I know that you are often at weddings. And always when I read this, I´m very surprised, because I don´t know this from my friends and acquaintances. Ok, I´m a bit younger (23 years and 2 months). They don´t have babies, they aren´t married and they don´t buy houses, they even don´t buy own cars. But maybe that´s a culture thing, I don´t know.
I also was quite surprised, when I saw, how the friends of Victoria started to marry and that all within 3 years. When Martina Gahn is married, then aren´t many friends of Victoria left, who aren´t married. So maybe there´s really a wave (which has started quite early...I´ve thought those upper class girls enjoy their single life until they are thirty or older) And hopefully this wave is catching her. Her situation might be unique, but I though think until a certain point she lives her private life like her friends and doesn´t measure it with "Royal standards"
Old 03-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
With their friends getting married, I wonder if the siblings are thinking about married life for themselves
This is the effect I'm hoping for! :)

But I must say that I'm in the same "boat" as Lena is, I don't have any friends who have gotten married yet or settled down like this, but I'm also younger (soon 22) so I would say that's the main reason. I think there might be a bit of a cultural difference too perhaps, between how marriage is seen in Europe and the US, but in our cases I don't think it's the main factor (it's age in our cases) I do expect that many people in my circles will start settling down in a few years time, and when it happens it will of course have a great effect to the whole circle of friends, and get people to start thinking about the concept of starting a family of their own.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But I must say that I'm in the same "boat" as Lena is, I don't have any friends who have gotten married yet or settled down like this, but I'm also younger (soon 22) so I would say that's the main reason. I think there might be a bit of a cultural difference too perhaps, between how marriage is seen in Europe and the US, but in our cases I don't think it's the main factor (it's age in our cases) I do expect that many people in my circles will start settling down in a few years time, and when it happens it will of course have a great effect to the whole circle of friends, and get people to start thinking about the concept of starting a family of their own.
Ah, to be 23 again! :p

Maybe it is a cultural thing -- I don't know. Or maybe it is a class thing.

At 23 I would've likely laughed in anyone's face who said that only 2-3 years later my friends would be buying their first homes and settling down at only 25, 26. But a lot can happen in a few years. And when you're older things happen much more quicker -- whether it's because we're more sure of ourself or more stupid I don't know! I think the "wave" too is that when you see your friends settling down you wonder what you're missing out on and just by my own personality, I want the kind of stability and security my friends have with their fiancees and husbands.

Not being in Victoria's particular place, I can't help but think that she would want such stability and security, too, as she has a very big task ahead of her and it would be nice (I think!) to have someone to go through it with, to talk about the challenges, difficulties and frustrations with, and to have someone alongside her.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
This is the effect I'm hoping for! :)
That would be great! But you know Daniel has attended quite a few weddings with Victoria so who knows he maybe starting to feel this way...:)
Old 03-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That would be great! But you know Daniel has attended quite a few weddings with Victoria so who knows he maybe starting to feel this way...:)
I´ve a feeling that both (Victoria & Daniel) are persons, who want to marry. And I think for Victoria it´s not just, because she would want to share the royal life with a second person. If this would be something "natural", ppl like prince Albert wouldn´t wait that long or cp Philippe wouldn´t have waited that long either.
I think Victoria is a typical family-person and I guess Daniel is it too. If they can be/have this together is an other thing/question.

Closed Thread

Tags
bernadotte, carl gustav, carl philip, crown princess victoria, current events, king carl xvi gustav, lilian, prince carl philip, princess birgitta, princess christina mrs magnusson, princess desiree, princess lilian, princess margaretha mrs ambler, queen silvia, silvia, swedish royal family, princess madeleine