Swedish Royal Family, Current Events Part 2: December 2004 - December 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are in Bavaria right now. And well Munich is Bavarias Capital. From Oberstdorf tu Munich its 190 km . And yes there are more than 120 km of Motorway without a speed limit. So the king could test his new gained knowledge on a slippery parcour. :) I would guess they stay in Austria during the weekend as its not that far and the Austrians have some 5* hotels so luxury for the crown pincess her mother and the king. Lets hope he knows that there is a severe speed limit in Austria :)

> T.M. The King and Queen, H.R.H. Prince Carl Philip, H.R.H. Princess Lilian, Princess Christina Mrs Magnusson
Official Dinner
The Royal Palace of Stockholm
no Madeleine?! I wonder why... an exam perhaps?

Yennie said:
no Madeleine?! I wonder why... an exam perhaps?

Isn´t it normal, that Madeleine participates in one and then Carl Philip in one. We had it always like this in the past years. And I guess, that Victoria will be then in Australia doesn´t make a difference.

To Australia...wasn´t it said she will be there from the 10-18th to help the swedish trade? Is the remained time a private holiday? I think she was for a shorter time in Japan. So I guess it is (?)

Published: 8th March 2005 10:50 BST+1 (in the local)
Swedish royals demand German compensation

Having forced a number of German gossip magazines to print front page apologies for fabricating stories, the Swedish royal household is still not convinced that 'Welt der Frau' and other publications have quite kicked the habit. Now, confirming rumours from last November, the Swedish royals are demanding damages.
"This is going to be pushed forward through the courts," said the palace press officer, Ann-Christine Jernberg.
The royals' legal team, led by the German lawyer Matthias Prinz, has gone through a sample of magazines from the last five years. They say they have found "hundreds of false, invented articles, mainly about Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine, on themes such as love affairs, engagements, weddings, births, miscarriages and so on, often illustrated with photo montages".
Despite the fact that the magazines have apologised on a number of occasions, the royal family considers that they have never gone far enough.
"The apologies which have been published have only related to certain specific articles," Jernberg told Expressen.
"The king and queen have given Professor Prinz the task of requesting compensation from a number of publishing companies."
The amount of compensation would be determined by the German court, and Jernberg refused to speculate on a possible sum. But she confirmed that none of the royals would benefit personally from any cash awarded.
"The amount paid out would go to charities in accordance with the royal family's wishes," she said.
In November of last year, the publishers hinted that the Swedish royals were demanding 40 million kronor - an amount which, they said, would force the companies to close down.
But the royal household was quick to refute that, adding it to the list of lies.
"That the Royal Family is demanding 40 million crowns is a fabrication," Elisabeth Tarras-Walhberg, the Court's spokeswoman, said at the time.
"It appears as though the Editor-in-Chief for the publisher is spreading rumours in order to create a backlash against the Royal Family."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that many will disagree with that what I say here: I hope the court gets no single cent! IMO this goes to far! They have gotten apologies for newer articles and the german press is now more reliable than e.g. "Hänt extra"
Maybe it´s just me, but IMO to ask for smart money is sooooo very embarrassing and dishonorable for a Royal court. They shouldn´t care for all this stuff. I remember, that I´ve read, that the dutch princes (Willem, Constantijn and Johan Friso) sometimes read the german tabloids (and the articles about them) to have a good laugh. Much more likeable IMO.
Further I´ve heard that lawyer Martin Prinz won´t try to sue the big publishers for smart money, because they could pay better lawyers. And I would say, that´s quite unfair.

Well, that the money would go to charity projects, is surely an nice idea and those ppl surely need it. But this doesn´t change the fact (for me), that the whole trials are embarrassing.

Last edited:
Josefine said:
so carl philip is taking care of sweden then

Wow, I just wanted to write the same, when I saw, that GrandDuchess has kindly updated the weekly schedule :D

The Official Dinner last night:

Yesterday the King and Queen hosted an Official Dinner at the Royal Palace of Stockholm. In attendance were also Prince Carl Philip, Princess Lilian and Princess Christina Mrs Magnusson with her husband, Consul-General Tord Magnusson. Count Bertil Bernadotte and his wife Jill were also among the guests.

The menu consisted of salmon in three ways: root beet marinated, tureen of smoked salmon and salmon tartar. On the menu were also fried perch with shellfish risotto, roasted fillet of beef with sweet potato purée and glazed small onions. Banana soufflé with milk chocolate ice cream.

The King lead Anitra Steen, the wife of the Prime Minister, to the table and had Carin Eliasson, the wife of the Marshall of the Realm, on his other side. The Queen was lead to the table by Prime Minister Göran Persson, and had the Marshall of the Realm, Ingemar Eliasson, on her other side. The Marshall of the Realm in his turn lead Princess Lilian to the table, she had the Ambassador of Austria to Sweden, Dr. Peter Pramberger, on her other side. Prince Carl Philip lead Helén Bodström, the wife of the Minister for Justice, to the table, and had Anitra Steen, the wife of the Prime Minister, on his other side.

The flower arrangement shows how the staff had chosen spring colours for the dinner table in Karl XI's Gallery, and they stand in a silver piece from the Brazilian Silver Set

Attachments

• Representationsmiddag 10 mars 2005_1.jpg
    Representationsmiddag 10 mars 2005_1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 248
  • Representationsmiddag 10 mars 2005_2.jpg
    Representationsmiddag 10 mars 2005_2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Representationsmiddag 10 mars 2005_3.jpg
    Representationsmiddag 10 mars 2005_3.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 175
i do not think the queen usally wears this grand tiara at the yearly gala dinners

silvia is often recycle her dresses
how many times has she woorn this

Wow finally we got to see the braganza tiara, that is usually kept in the dark. Lovely!:)

GrandDuchess said:
The Official Dinner last night:

Yesterday the King and Queen hosted an Official Dinner at the Royal Palace of Stockholm. In attendance were also Prince Carl Philip, Princess Lilian and Princess Christina Mrs Magnusson with her husband, Consul-General Tord Magnusson. Count Bertil Bernadotte and his wife Jill were also among the guests.

The menu consisted of salmon in three ways: root beet marinated, tureen of smoked salmon and salmon tartar. On the menu were also fried perch with shellfish risotto, roasted fillet of beef with sweet potato purée and glazed small onions. Banana soufflé with milk chocolate ice cream.

The King lead Anitra Steen, the wife of the Prime Minister, to the table and had Carin Eliasson, the wife of the Marshall of the Realm, on his other side. The Queen was lead to the table by Prime Minister Göran Persson, and had the Marshall of the Realm, Ingemar Eliasson, on her other side. The Marshall of the Realm in his turn lead Princess Lilian to the table, she had the Ambassador of Austria to Sweden, Dr. Peter Pramberger, on her other side. Prince Carl Philip lead Helén Bodström, the wife of the Minister for Justice, to the table, and had Anitra Steen, the wife of the Prime Minister, on his other side.

And another picture of the King and Queen, and a little better view perhaps of the grand and wonderful Braganca tiara! From Fotomarktplatz:

Attachments

• Representationsmiddag 10 mars 2005_4.jpg
    Representationsmiddag 10 mars 2005_4.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
mixer2002de said:
How could Bertil be present? i thought he is dead already or is ther another Bertil?
If you read my text, you can see that it says:
GrandDuchess said:
Count Bertil Bernadotte and his wife Jill were also among the guests.
And I think you understand yourself that this is not Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland (who died in 1997) - married to Princess Lilian....

The one mentioned in my post, who was a guest at the Official Dinner is Count Bertil Bernadotte of Wisborg, son of the late Folke Bernadotte.

This isn´t really news, but since it was about the whole family I post it here!

When I was looking trough my albums for a another photo, I came across these two. And I just had to share :)
They are from Madeleines graduation party in June 2001.
The king, queen and Victoria acted as "rumpnissar" from Astrid Lindgrens story "Ronja Rövardotter. That was Madeleines favourite book when she was little :)

Attachments

• grad1.JPG
    grad1.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 217
  • grad2.JPG
    grad2.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 213
I have edited my earlier post with the spring/summer programme 2005 for the Royal Family, here is what I just added:

Added to May:

# 3rd Opening of the World Heritage Museum in Falun, Dalarna (The Crown Princess)

# 25th Awarding of the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award at Skansen in Stockholm (The Crown Princess)

You can find my original post with the spring/summer programme here :

Through a discussion with GrandDuchess I´m very confused now. When a Swede reads "Lettland"...which country is it then for him/her on this map (the one on the top-in english Estonia...the one in the middle-in english Latvia or the one on the bottom-in english Lithuania)?
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/commonwealth/dfnsindust-baltics.jpg

I´ve read on royalcourt.se "Lettland" and have translated it with "Latvia"...because we know the term "Lettland" in german (too) and we would translate it with Latvia (for us it´s the country in the middle).
And when I should name the terms for the ppl in the 3 baltic countries then I would say:
Estonia-estonian ppl
Latvia-latvian ppl
Lithuania-lithuanian ppl

So to sum this confusing post: is next week the head of Latvia (Vaira Vike-Freiberga) going to Sweden. And do we call her "latvian president"??? :confused:

Last edited:
Lena said:
Through a discussion with GrandDuchess I´m very confused now. When a Swede reads "Lettland"...which country is it then for him/her on this map (the one on the top-in english Estonia...the one in the middle-in english Latvia or the one on the bottom-in english Lithuania)?
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/commonwealth/dfnsindust-baltics.jpg

I´ve read on royalcourt.se "Lettland" and have translated it with "Latvia"...because we know the term "Lettland" in german (too) and we would translate it with Latvia (for us it´s the country in the middle).
And when I should name the terms for the ppl in the 3 baltic countries then I would say:
Estonia-estonian ppl
Latvia-latvian ppl
Lithuania-lithuanian ppl

So to sum this confusing post: is next week the head of Latvia (Vaira Vike-Freiberga) going to Sweden. And do we call her "latvian president"??? :confused:
My mistake, I was a bit confused there :) Of course it's Latvia!

News from the circles of the royal children...

As we know the royal children are getting older and the circles around them (their friends) have started to form families of their own since some time.

Last June (2004), Princess Madeleine was a guest at the wedding of her best friends Lina and Tom Davidsson, when they tied the knot in the chapel of Djursholm. Happy news from their front is that they Lina is expecting, and the happy couple will be parents in time for their 1st anniversary!

And more wedding bells will soon ring in the circles around the royal children...

# One of Crown Princess Victoria's best friends since their school days, Martina Gahn, have become engaged to her boyfriend - Count Johan Bonde!

# One of Prince Carl Philip's school friends from Lundsberg Boarding School, John Bernström, have become engaged to Louise Barkman, and they will marry this summer with the Prince as the best man! :)

Interesting...thank you GrandDuchess. What is the source? And isn´t Lina more the friend of Victoria (who couldn´t attend the wedding, because of the baptism of her godchild Catharina Amalia) I hope we get to see pictures/videos from the Royal children attending the wedding(s). The pictures of the wedding of Andrea Engsäll are (IMO) ones of the most interesting private pictures, I´ve seen of the Royal children in the past years.

I think the Tamm family is friends with the royal family. But as you said Lena, I also think Carolina Tham is friends with Victoria. Aren´t they the same age?

One thing I find interesting, is that many of Victoria and Madeleine´s friends are well-known to the public. Ofcourse its individual, but I´ve heard so much more about the friends of V & M than I have with the friends of Carl Philip. For example, I´ve never heard of John Bernström before...

Yennie said:
One thing I find interesting, is that many of Victoria and Madeleine´s friends are well-known to the public. Ofcourse its individual, but I´ve heard so much more about the friends of V & M than I have with the friends of Carl Philip. For example, I´ve never heard of John Bernström before...

I agree! (we haven´t agreed for a while Yennie, so it´s about time ;) ) I neither know John, nor I can name any other friend of CP. But I (partly) even know professions, girlfriends etc. of Madeleine´s and Victoria´s friends.

Thanks for sharing the news..With their friends getting married, I wonder if the siblings are thinking about married life for themselves.:rolleyes:

~Happy Easter!!~

Alisa said:
Thanks for sharing the news..With their friends getting married, I wonder if the siblings are thinking about married life for themselves.:rolleyes:

I hope so! It's about time for Sweden to share in the royal nuptials and births! The Dutch royals need to rub off some of this happiness with their Swedish counterparts!

I am about a year younger than Victoria and my friends are getting engaged, married and buying their first homes left right and centre. I think such things happen in "waves" and you either get caught up in them or you don't -- sometimes for personal reasons (eg. not ready emotionally/financially). Nearly three years ago my friends and I were graduating from university and we all went out and bought new cars, three years into careers we are buying our first homes, becoming engaged and married. In the next two years I predict that within my circle of friends we'll be hosting baby showers instead of bridal showers.

Victoria is in a unique role and can't necessarily be caught up on the "wave" of life as her friends are, but I do think in the last few years particularly she's proven that she's ready for marriage (I guess the ultimate question is whether Daniel is.) and how to pair that with her duties and obligations in life.

Hehe..i'm in the same boat as you, and the three siblings. :)

All my friends (not all--but it seems that way;) ) are all getting married and starting families of their own, and all too often I am left wondering if i'm "missing" something. We grew up together, went to school together, and here the majority of them are getting married and starting families..Bahhh:p

Alisa said:
Hehe..i'm in the same boat as you, and the three siblings. :)

All my friends (not all--but it seems that way;) ) are all getting married and starting families of their own, and all too often I am left wondering if i'm "missing" something. We grew up together, went to school together, and here the majority of them are getting married and starting families..Bahhh:p

I can perfectly understand the "Am I missing something" concept!

I wonder if the Swedish siblings (and you Alisa?) feel as I do -- that once your friends have bought their first homes (maybe this doesn't apply to the Swedish siblings), gotten engaged then married then started to have children pressure from them for you to do the same? Like you, my friends and I grew up together -- we have been friends since we were 4 years old which means more than 20 years of changes and growing up together. I get asked all the time when I am going to settle down and lots of set ups with the single male friends of their fiancees or husbands. I guess their fiancees and husbands don't like the idea of their male friends being single any more than my female friends like the idea of me being single! But I guess with Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine all having been in long term relationships the question for them is more likely "When are you getting married."

That´s interesting, Alexandria. I know that you are often at weddings. And always when I read this, I´m very surprised, because I don´t know this from my friends and acquaintances. Ok, I´m a bit younger (23 years and 2 months). They don´t have babies, they aren´t married and they don´t buy houses, they even don´t buy own cars. But maybe that´s a culture thing, I don´t know.
I also was quite surprised, when I saw, how the friends of Victoria started to marry and that all within 3 years. When Martina Gahn is married, then aren´t many friends of Victoria left, who aren´t married. So maybe there´s really a wave (which has started quite early...I´ve thought those upper class girls enjoy their single life until they are thirty or older) And hopefully this wave is catching her. Her situation might be unique, but I though think until a certain point she lives her private life like her friends and doesn´t measure it with "Royal standards"

Last edited:
Alisa said:
With their friends getting married, I wonder if the siblings are thinking about married life for themselves
This is the effect I'm hoping for! :)

But I must say that I'm in the same "boat" as Lena is, I don't have any friends who have gotten married yet or settled down like this, but I'm also younger (soon 22) so I would say that's the main reason. I think there might be a bit of a cultural difference too perhaps, between how marriage is seen in Europe and the US, but in our cases I don't think it's the main factor (it's age in our cases) I do expect that many people in my circles will start settling down in a few years time, and when it happens it will of course have a great effect to the whole circle of friends, and get people to start thinking about the concept of starting a family of their own.

GrandDuchess said:
But I must say that I'm in the same "boat" as Lena is, I don't have any friends who have gotten married yet or settled down like this, but I'm also younger (soon 22) so I would say that's the main reason. I think there might be a bit of a cultural difference too perhaps, between how marriage is seen in Europe and the US, but in our cases I don't think it's the main factor (it's age in our cases) I do expect that many people in my circles will start settling down in a few years time, and when it happens it will of course have a great effect to the whole circle of friends, and get people to start thinking about the concept of starting a family of their own.

Ah, to be 23 again! :p

Maybe it is a cultural thing -- I don't know. Or maybe it is a class thing.

At 23 I would've likely laughed in anyone's face who said that only 2-3 years later my friends would be buying their first homes and settling down at only 25, 26. But a lot can happen in a few years. And when you're older things happen much more quicker -- whether it's because we're more sure of ourself or more stupid I don't know! ;) I think the "wave" too is that when you see your friends settling down you wonder what you're missing out on and just by my own personality, I want the kind of stability and security my friends have with their fiancees and husbands.

Not being in Victoria's particular place, I can't help but think that she would want such stability and security, too, as she has a very big task ahead of her and it would be nice (I think!) to have someone to go through it with, to talk about the challenges, difficulties and frustrations with, and to have someone alongside her.

GrandDuchess said:
This is the effect I'm hoping for! :)

That would be great! But you know Daniel has attended quite a few weddings with Victoria so who knows he maybe starting to feel this way...:)

Alisa said:
That would be great! But you know Daniel has attended quite a few weddings with Victoria so who knows he maybe starting to feel this way...:)

I´ve a feeling that both (Victoria & Daniel) are persons, who want to marry. And I think for Victoria it´s not just, because she would want to share the royal life with a second person. If this would be something "natural", ppl like prince Albert wouldn´t wait that long or cp Philippe wouldn´t have waited that long either.
I think Victoria is a typical family-person and I guess Daniel is it too. If they can be/have this together is an other thing/question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom