The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Very interesting article...as you know (when you read in the TV-thread) this evening the programme "Royal and young" (ung & kunglig) will be broadcasted. Expressen tells, what will happen in the programme. Among other things the Royal children talk about each other:

Victoria om Carl Philip:
"Han har ett väldigt stort hjärta. Han är dessutom väldigt snäll och en oerhört varm person. Duktig och otroligt envis. Han är också en dålig förlorare och en riktig mammagris."
Victoria about CP:
He has a very big heart. He´s except that also very nice and a real warm person. Good and unbelievable stubborn. He´s also a "bad loser" and a real momma´s boy (I guess, Mammagris is that...literally it means something like "Mummy´s pig(let)")

Madeleine om Carl Philip:
Han är världens bäste killkompis.
Madeleine about Cp:
He´s the world´s best friend.

Carl Philip om Madeleine:
Det är en snäll och rar flicka. Hon är bestämd och envis.
CP about Madeleine
This is a kind-hearted and nice girl. She´s very resolute and stubborn

Madeleine om Victoria:
Typisk storasyster. Har alltid tagit hand om oss. Omtänksam och tar plikten seriöst. Engagerar sig, kanske dock lite för sträng som storasyster.
Madeleine about Victoria:
Typical big sister. She has always taken care of us. Considerately and she takes her duties seriously. Very engaged, maybe though a little bit too strict/stern as big sister

The article also tells about our most discussed topic here...Wedding or not.
Victoria admits, that Daniel is her boyfriend. And she says, what will happen, when she´s engaged:
There will probably be a press release and and a press conference.
And then she adds fast: If and when I´m in this situation

Hm, the Lena-interpretation-service thinks, that it seems, that she has already thought about that a lot

http://www.expressen.se/expressen/js...y.jsp?a=236841

Old 02-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
Very interesting article...as you know (when you read in the TV-thread) this evening the programme "Royal and young" (ung & kunglig) will be broadcasted. Expressen talks, what happens in the programme. Among other things the Royal children talk about each other:

Victoria about CP:
He has a very big heart. He´s except that also very nice and a real warm person. Good and unbelievable stubborn. He´s also a "bad loser" and a real momma´s boy (I guess, Mammagris is that...literally it means something like "Mummy´s pig(let)")
This is the impression we have received from watching CP and some of the reasons, he is so popular among some members on TRF.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennism
This is the impression we have received from watching CP and some of the reasons, he is so popular among some members on TRF.
Yes, we all want momma´s boys/homeboys...there´s nothing better than an overprotective mum-in-law
Old 02-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Majesty

Well, maybe not the momma´s boys part entirely but a man´s relationship with his mother is very important and if it´s close then, studies have shown, that he will make a better husband.

A boy´s mother is his best friend. cough cough. :)
Old 02-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
A boy´s mother is his best friend. cough cough. :)
Yes, a big 'cough cough' to that. :p

Old 02-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Majesty

Yes, for those members not familiar with that line, it comes from that classic(although not his best film) by Alfred Hitchcock called "Psycho". It is not, despite one member´s(Austrian and female, he notes innocently) insinuation, a phrase ever uttered in public by the current Prince of Asturias. In private we are not so sure.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Gentry

A while back there was a picture of Victoria at Colourpress. Does anybody have those pictures? I was unable to get in as it requires login/password. thanks
Old 02-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Official Engagements Week 6 (7-13 February)

Tuesday 8/2

> H.M. The King
Precedence: Thomas Ihre, The Swedish Order of St. John
The Royal Palace of Stockholm
Question : what is the court (or you) trying to say with the word "precedence" ?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Majesty

Do not know but according to a site I found the St.John Order is part of the Knights of Malta and "The Order supports the elderly and sick and cooperates with Swedish hospitals, charitable organisations and Christian communities. It is also involved in international work with refugees, political prisoners and the sick."
Old 02-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Royal Highness

Dennis,

the word "precedence" comes up several times in the official engagements calendar as presented by GrandDuchess above.

But thanks for expanding on what the St.John Order is and what it does.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Majesty

Did some investigating. It has several meanings and variants including precedence. The correct translation though is equivalent to the English "audience". Thus, the various groups and organizations have an audience with Carl XVI Gustaf.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhcp
Question : what is the court (or you) trying to say with the word "precedence" ?
The Swedish word for 'precedence' is 'företräde' - and I believe that it's a very old use of an occurence at the Court (although I believe different words have been used). The Monarch giving precedence, means that the person given the precedence has an "option" at the Palace - the person is given priority.

Quote:
Did some investigating. It has several meanings and variants including precedence. The correct translation though is equivalent to the English "audience". Thus, the various groups and organizations have an audience with Carl XVI Gustaf.
Audience is not quite the same thing I believe. I think an 'audience', 'audiens' in Swedish, is of a more official nature. But I'm not sure about the differences either, since I don't know that much Court protocoll.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Majesty

O, well. I was wrong. It doesn´t make sense to be audience then because we would see that listed next to most entries in the calendar. But we don´t. So it must be precedence. More mazes in the Swedish language for me.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
The Swedish word for 'precedence' is 'företräde' - and I believe that it's a very old use of an occurence at the Court (although I believe different words have been used). The Monarch giving precedence, means that the person given the precedence has an "option" at the Palace - the person is given priority.
I would "buy" that if it was a last minute addition to the court calendar. But, in comparison to their Danish and Norwegian peers, the Swedish calendar is imho pretty sparse.

Quote:
Audience is not quite the same thing I believe. I think an 'audience', 'audiens' in Swedish, is of a more official nature. But I'm not sure about the differences either, since I don't know that much Court protocoll.
I think Dennis's answer (ie: audience) is more correct, in recognition of the fact that the Royal Court uses an old world useage of words.

Perhaps on another note,
the word 'företräde' bears a remarkable resemblance to the German word, "vortraege" .... which in this instance I would interpret as meaning "presentation".
Old 02-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I would "buy" that if it was a last minute addition to the court calendar.
Huh? What on earth do you mean?

Quote:
I think Dennis's answer (ie: audience) is more correct, in recognition of the fact that the Royal Court uses an old world useage of words.
That last sentence of yours would make some people at the Court want to pull out their hair... When it comes to words for things that takes place around the Court, there are very precise words for things - and the procedures are all run by Court protocoll.

Precedence (företräde) and audience (audiens) are two different things. Just look in the calendars, and you can see that the two are used differently, and behind the words/procedures lies a lot more than you may think.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Majesty

3 photos from Fotomarktplatz of 3 Royal Ladies arriving at the Banquet dinner tonight at the Royal Palace:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpeg
Views:	3993
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	92451   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpeg
Views:	3883
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	92452   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpeg
Views:	3921
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	92453  
Old 02-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

The official dinner on Thursday at the Royal Palace of Stockholm:

The menu consisted of lime marinated crayfish tales with orange salad, fried backside of cod, oven baked Bresse pigeon and French lentils with black truffles and after that a chocolate pastry with apricot ice cream for dessert.

The King led Mrs Madeleine von Sydow, the wife of the Speaker of the Parliament, to the table, and had Minister Ylva Johansson on his other side. The Queen was led to the table by the Speaker of the Parliament, Björn von Sydow, and has Count Trolle-Wachtmeister on her other side. The Crown Princess was led to the table by the Ambassador of Germany to Sweden, Busson von Alvensleben, and has the Speaker of the Parliament on her other side. Princess Madeleine was led to the table by the Ambassador of Canada to Sweden, Lorenz Friedlaender, and had the Ambassador of Zambia to Sweden, Newstead L. Zimba, on her right side. Princess Lilian was led to the table by Count Trolle-Wachtmeister, and had the Ambassador of Great Britain to Sweden, Anthony Cary, on her other side.

Those dresses are all seen before, but nice - all I can say is why on earth is Victoria wearing that small and almost invisible and strange tiara?! Someone take it off! :) And why no pics of the King and Queen... :(

Thanks for posting the pictures Dennis! I just wish the Swedish RF would get more media coverage, so that we could enjoy more of their presence...
Old 02-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
3 photos from Fotomarktplatz of 3 Royal Ladies arriving at the Banquet dinner tonight at the Royal Palace:
All three ladies looked beautiful. Madeleine looks exactly the same as she did at Nobel 2002, although her cleavage is much more subdued. It looks as if Victoria is wearing pieces of the Connaught tiara as a necklace, usually Madeleine wears this necklace. Madeleine has worn it at Nobel 2000, Marth Louise's Wedding, and to the State Visit Germany. Has Victoria worn this necklace before?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Majesty

Yes, all 3 did indeed. I haven´t seen that one before(not that I really notice necklaces that much) but it reminds me of a few that Silvia has worn in the past. That dinner sounds delicious though. Yummy.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the pictures. All three ladies look lovely.

Tags
bernadotte, carl gustav, carl philip, crown princess victoria, current events, king carl xvi gustav, lilian, prince carl philip, princess birgitta, princess christina mrs magnusson, princess desiree, princess lilian, princess margaretha mrs ambler, queen silvia, silvia, swedish royal family, princess madeleine