The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 04:02 AM
Courtier

Swedish Royal Family, Current Events Part 1: October 2003 - December 2004

I've been wondering if the King has gotten rid of the rule that states that members of the RF can't marry swedish commoners. I know it caused his uncles and great uncles to lose their spots in line to the throne, so I was wondering if CP Victoria and P. CP and P. M would also loose their succession rights if they married the people they are currently with.

Old 10-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Royal Highness

What a rule !

Then, obviously they are NOT allowed to !!!!!

Old 10-25-2003, 11:32 AM
Courtier

as far as I know they can marry whom ever they want as they fulfill the following two things:
1. they have to ask the king if they are allowed to marry this person.
(actually if beeing king/queen he can decide this him/herself)
2. the prime minister (representing the government) has to be asked by the king/queen. The prime minister can say no, too.
In the case of one "No" they can still marry, but they loose their right of succession, for them and their children. Like it happens in the netherlands at the moment.

Actually I think:
A no of the king is unlikely if his children really want to marry a specific person, e.g. they convince him to say yes.
A no from the prime minister would mean something like: the future spouse has led an unacceptable life before:
e.g. was a criminal, a spy from another country etc.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Courtier

Prince Bertil, the King's uncle, married a commoner, Lilian Davies, after the King married and had children. Prince Bertil was not allowed to marry Ms. Davies until after the King had a family. Prince Bertil did not loose his place in the line of succession and Ms. Davies is the much loved Princess Lilian of today.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
mybags  Posted: Oct 25th, 2003 - 11:33 am

Prince Bertil was not allowed to marry Ms. Davies
wow ... that 'sounds' pretty severe !

I bet what you intended it to say, is that if the Prince had married without permission, he would have been stripped of a few of his perks (line of succession stuff and all that rot :) ). But he wisely (stupidly?) refrained, because he knew his nephew was of a more modern disposition ?
Old 10-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Courtier

Nope, Bertil's father wouldn't approve the marriage, and Bertil was the only other person available to take over if the current king didn't have any heirs. So, Bertil waited until his nephew had married, and there was a good chance of the queen being pregnant, before he married Lilian. The current king is a bit more liberal minded (look at who he married, a German/Brazilian commoner)!
Also, Lilian isn't a Swedish commoner. She's welsh, and she was married once before.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

that really serious!

i think King have right for his children to marry to unroyal or royal like that to marry his children if King would allowed married his children if got engagement they see the King and Queen to makes statement like that!

I would agree with King's rules about it! and i would obey with King and Queen's rules they i can get married because i am over 21 year old but now i am 22 year old im still seeking for love good one like as Prince William! i do obey Queen lots! and respect her!

Sara Boyce
Old 10-27-2003, 12:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Fireweaver  Posted: Oct 25th, 2003 - 4:06 pm

Nope, Bertil's father wouldn't approve the marriage, and Bertil was the only other person available to take over if the current king didn't have any heirs.
Sounds to me like Prince Bertil is a good guy.
My impression of him - already high - has shot even higher.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

And is this the new "twin-style" of Madeleine and Victoria? Yesterday both wore dresses with a similar cut, and both had loose hair..and today both are wearing pinstriped-suits and both have their hair loose/open too.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Aristocracy

They were dressed alike when children! It always looked very nice. I think they dress well and show a lot of maturity in their choices of clothing. It looks a lot better than Zara Phillips with her tongue stud!
Old 12-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by almab@Dec 12th, 2003 - 8:46 am
They were dressed alike when children! It always looked very nice. I think they dress well and show a lot of maturity in their choices of clothing. It looks a lot better than Zara Phillips with her tongue stud!
Yes, I know they were dressed up the same as children...and it looked cute, when they were very young. But Victoria still wore the same as Madeleine as 13-year old...at that age (and in the place of her)I would have completely refused to wear the same as my younger sister. Especially not these "children-dresses" she still wore at that age.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
"Den svenske kongefamilie til et seminar under titlen Børn - dronningens hjertesag."

Well, let me see here. The Swedish Royal family at a seminar under the title "Born"- the queen's hjärtefråga. That should be the word. Anyway, it's a time when little children ask the queen questions. The word roughly translates to "Concerns of the heart".
Old 12-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennism@Dec 12th, 2003 - 10:00 am
. Anyway, it's a time when little children ask the queen questions. The word roughly translates to "Concerns of the heart".
I don´t think that children are asking...I guess it´s just a seminar about queen Silvia´s charity work?!
Old 12-13-2003, 09:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennism@Dec 12th, 2003 - 10:00 am
"Den svenske kongefamilie til et seminar under titlen Børn - dronningens hjertesag."

Well, let me see here. The Swedish Royal family at a seminar under the title "Born"- the queen's hjärtefråga. That should be the word. Anyway, it's a time when little children ask the queen questions.  The word roughly translates to "Concerns of the heart".
Born with a line inside it is the danish letter ö. Born in danish is the swedish barn=children not like in the english born. It´s a seminar about children, about the fact that children all over the world grow up under so different circumstances, even here in Sweden, and what can be done about it. This is according to the interview from SvD the Queen´s wish for her birthday, and will be broadcasted at Swedish Television 4 at 29 of december.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Majesty

Yes, the line through it. I thought that looked odd but it was from Polfoto so I assumed they made it Danish!
Old 12-14-2003, 03:04 AM
Courtier

Now, is it just me, or does Victoria's hair look longer in these pictures, then it did at the 2nd Nobel dinner?
Old 12-14-2003, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Britters@Dec 14th, 2003 - 2:04 am
Now, is it just me, or does Victoria's hair look longer in these pictures, then it did at the 2nd Nobel dinner?
I´ve thought the same...miracle-hair :woot:
Old 12-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Aristocracy

I am doing a paper on the similarities and differences between the Swedish and their feeling for their Royal Family compared to Canadians and our attitudes towards our Royal Family (better known as the British Royal Family). I just wanted to know what is the popular opinion about the Royal family? Is their a large segment of the population in Sweden wanting to become a republic or is the general public fairly royalist? What about the government’s attitude, it would appear many of them would prefer a republic?

Any thoughts you could give me would be great.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:40 PM
Majesty

They recently had a poll that said that a majority of Swedes would prefer a republic. That being said, the Swedish Royal family is quite popular. Not least of all, because compared to other royal families, they have been considerably less-scandal rocked. In fact, they have been quite good in this manner. That being said, there was a time period in the 60s and 70s when the family wasn't as popular. One of the reasons was that Sweden was cementing its reputation as a modern country. Also the current King had a reputation at that time as a playboy. Well, he lived life freely. An outcome of this period was the changing of the law that made it possible for the oldest child(boy or girl) to become the next rule. The Parliament did this above the objections of the King himself. Thus, Crown Princess Victoria will become the next ruler of Sweden. The change in the popularity as happened over time. The Queen has certainly played a role in this with her charity work as well as with her work with the UN and with NGOs. And the children have also done their work and will do more in the future. They would like a republic but they are also a traditional people so they also like the monarchy.

Well, I'd winged it. Swedes will provide more and I'm probably only touching the tip of the iceberg.

Another thing I think that has certainly been admired by me and I'm sure by many Swedes and others around the world has been the honesty with which Crown Princess Victoria has discussed her eating disorders and her bullying because of her dyslexia. In fact, I know of few people who I have spoken with who have admired the Crown Princess because of this very thing. They didn't know her before. This honesty from the Crown Princess and the public behavior of the Swedish Royal Family go a long way in raising their popularity.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:47 AM
Royal Highness

with which king did these republican views begin? and why?

Tags
bernadotte, carl gustav, carl philip, crown princess victoria, current events, king carl xvi gustav, lilian, prince carl philip, princess birgitta, princess christina mrs magnusson, princess desiree, princess lilian, princess margaretha mrs ambler, queen silvia, silvia, swedish royal family, princess madeleine