Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling, Current Events Part 3: July 2005 - May 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jo of Palatine said:
When did we last see pics of them together? At the birthday party for the king?
Were there photos of them together? I dont remember seeing any... in fact, I dont remember when I last saw a photo of Victoria and Daniel together...
thats bad :)

Yennie said:
Were there photos of them together? I dont remember seeing any... in fact, I dont remember when I last saw a photo of Victoria and Daniel together...
thats bad :)

The last pics of them together were published in early december 2005, later Larzen scanned 2 pics from a Norwegian mag showing Victoria and Daniel on Christmas skiing holidays. But they weren´t pictured in one frame.
We have though seen several pics of Daniel...e.g. on the way to the King´s private birthday party. But I wouldn´t give much on that, since other friends were present as well. An itch in my little toe does say me, that there´s something rotten in this relationship...:rolleyes:
Well, I guess we will get to know soon, if he travelled to Öland for the birthday or not...

New pic of Daniel in Båstad (From Aftonbladet.se) Can´t help...he looks as if he could say any second: Buy a membercard, or me and my "brothers" will fix a barbell around your feet and will throw you into the baltic sea... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• mafiosi2.JPG
    mafiosi2.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 334
Lena said:
The last pics of them together were published in early december 2005, later Larzen scanned 2 pics from a Norwegian mag showing Victoria and Daniel on Christmas skiing holidays. But they weren´t pictured in one frame.
We have though seen several pics of Daniel...e.g. on the way to the King´s private birthday party. But I wouldn´t give much on that, since other friends were present as well. An itch in my little toe does say me, that there´s something rotten in this relationship...:rolleyes:

That's a feeling I share. I mean, the princess reaches an age where she should be thinking about marriage and children. It is more difficult for her doing both: being the heir to the throne and being wife/mother - I agree with the queen in this aspect. And it's getting more difficult with each passing year. Don't tell me that her parents don't realize this as well.

So IMHO it's either deciding to marry Daniel or to end the relationship - she simply doesn't have that much more time if she doesn't want to marry Daniel. She'll need someone else and has to start looking for somebody (amybe that's what her "social studies" were all about :D) and finding her future spouse soon. In this context I really wonder why there are no longer pics of Victoria together with Daniel...

Or we'll see Carl Philip marry Emma, so that the Royal line may go via his children while Victoria stays unmarried, but with boyfriend.

I think that the reason we don't get as many private/paparazzi pictures of the Swedish Royal Family as we do of the other European Royal Families, is because first of all - the Swedish media is rather lazy (it feels like most of the journalists do their job via their desks, and they love to take news directly from telegrams from the news bureaus, instead of writing their own stories), and we don't have paparazzis in the same way they do in continental Europe. It's a new phenomenon here, we don't have a group of paparazzis following the royals or celebs, but whenever there are those kind of pictures - it usually comes from a press photographer who had luck or wanted to make an extra buck, or then from foreign paparazzis.

Also, the Swedish royal children aren't as interesting as many of the other Royal Families in Europe currently, because they've had the same partners for years and years, they lead quiet lives outside of their duties, there are no big scandals - and there haven't been any royal engagements, weddings and adorable children to follow. And that's an important factor to have paparazzis around, I'd say.

Jo of Palatine said:
Or we'll see Carl Philip marry Emma, so that the Royal line may go via his children while Victoria stays unmarried, but with boyfriend.
You almost made my heart stop for a second there! :D I hope to God that won't happen, but I don't think it will either, Victoria loves children. Maybe she needs a little reminder that she's gonna be 30 next year... Also, an unmarried Crown Princess and then Queen, that would be very embarassing and not seen as normal. No matter how harsh it sounds, being the Heir does not only include inheriting the Crown, but also producing heirs.

Last edited:
It's a new phenomenon here, we don't have a group of paparazzis following the royals or celebs, but whenever there are those kind of pictures - it usually comes from a press photographer who had luck or wanted to make an extra buck, or then from foreign paparazzis.
I think there are paparazzi photos taken, but they arent that interesting so the magazines never publishes them. When I had access to alloverpress there were new paparazzi photos almost every day, and not one of them was ever published in a magazine as far as I know...

so I think its a mixtue of lack of interest from the magazines (+ perhaps to expensive photos?) and the number of proffesional paparazzis in Sweden

I guess you are right with saying, that the young Bernadottes with their loooong relationships got a bit boring...and I would say there´s no doubt, that the Swedish press is lazy...but this can´t be the only explanation

-We have seen Paparazzi pics of Daniel in the past half year

-Ppl telling on the net, that they have spotted Daniel never mention Victoria

-Victoria had so much spare time this spring

-If it´s true, that Madeleine was in Båstad as well, it would be even more strange, that Victoria didn´t go with him (Ok, this trip must have been a lot about promotion for his gym...but still)

Well, maybe they are a couple, who needs a lot of freedom and space for individual development...but then maybe their future of being the crown princely couple of Sweden could mean a tough time for them. I mean, it´s not that she will work as...let´s say...dentist and he as an...let´s say architekt...and they will just meet for dinner every second day :confused: :rolleyes:

Translation...

Here is my translation of today's column from TV4's "Kändis" (celebrity) editor Daniel Nyhlén about Daniel Westling. Make of it what you want, but I thought it was quite funny to read in Swedish, after all the attention and partly good media coverage Westling has received from the media for a short while - and now they get tough with him again.

danielibstad2006hotgossip8af.jpg

Picture by Hot Gossip via TV4.

Poor little Daniel....

I met Crown Princess Victoria's boyfriend Daniel Westling here in Båstad. Dressed in an exclusive piqué shirt by Ralph Lauren (yes he must be sponsored), Westling glided around like a king to and from the centre court.

Daniel is here to try and advertise his fiasko gym Balance with Axa. Earlier, Daniel have often said 'hello', but now he didn't exactly look cheerful when he discovered whom he had to pass by. I understand why.

When Kändis last week reveled that Daniel has a crisis in his gym business, Expressen followed. A week later, today, Aftonbladet has a whole page about the matter were the information is confirmed again.

Sure, it can't be fun to see your life's work turn into a fiasko and then be forced to read the media's reports about it. But. Daniel has to both understand and accept that part. And this without becoming a geek without manners.

I, who have the last few weeks commended Daniel in the press for his "new" and nice way to meet the media, was surprised of what I got to see here in Båstad.

It was ridiculing.

Westling was back on square one again. He smiled and tried to look unaffected, but in the same second as my journalist colleagues got near, he turned crossways. He showed no understanding whatsoever for the media's interest. No pictures and no questions answered. Nada.

In a cocky and nouveau riche way, he then strolled off to shake hands with "more important" people. I didn't even bother to walk forward to him.

Instead I crassly ascerted that Daniel Westling has obvious problems for his future role as Crown Princess Victoria's husband. I have said it before, but it stands to be repeated: to live the life that the Royal Family does, you have to be a player. A guy who likes to be in the limelight, preferably with a portion of self irony. A man who can cope media in both relaxed and pressed situations. A person who doesn't take the media's reports as a thread, but as a given you have to teach yourself to live with.

Daniel has none of the attributes above. The Royal Court can media drill him in absurdum, but it will never go really well. I Båstad, Westling has certainly managed to achieve giving the rehearsed phrase:
- Thank you I don't sign autographs, but thank you for asking.

But oh my how hard he thought it was.

Daniel tries to play nice when he meets the media. In a strain way, he can answer questions and try to come out like a sympathetic guy. But it doesn't work. Daniel is a lousy actor who despise the press corps that the Royal Family are forced to meet throughout life.

http://www.tv4.se/kandis/476830.html

Last edited:
Maybe he might not like the media, but to ignore them like that is rude. He does seem a little cocky though, even just looking at the photo above. Maybe it's just the smile and the greased-up hair. I don't know, but I think I've changed my opinion about him. I thought that as long as he loved Victoria, and she loved him, everything would work out. But I was wrong. He has to learn to get used to media scrutiny, and if he does this sort of thing (i.e. ignoring them in a rude way), he's just going to get media-bashed more.

Two more from Båstad. At least he stood up for some pics...it though looks as if he would pose for a school pic and hopes to get fast back to the school yard, where the other children play. :p Nonetheless I think these are nicer than the other ones from Båstad. And maybe it´s just me...but doesn´t he look less "bulky" than some months/years ago?
The pics are from AP

Thank you so much for the translation, GrandDuchess :)

Attachments

• bast1.JPG
    bast1.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 298
  • bast2.JPG
    bast2.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 337
From what I have read so far in the Sweden thread seems that Daniel's main problem centers on, or around, one particular detail: the behind closed doors rejection from Victoria's father (or maybe both parents?) for the Crown Princess of Sweden to be dating a commoner, and not just any commoner but him in particular. Daniel, regardless of what he does, seems to be the person holding the short end of the stick in this difficult relationship that seems to be caught in a loop. Not only she is the first person that will inherit the Crown under the new laws of absolute primogeniture (the oldest child regardless of gender inherits) but she is also a female Heir, so the expectations toward whom she can marry seems to have more weight than the ones her very own father encountered when he married Sylvia.

In summary, is not easy being Daniel Westling, Mr Crown Princess Victoria Bernadotte.

I have this suspicion that their romance will end much like her best buddy/cousin, Prince Felipe of Spain, ended his long affair with model Eva Sanum. One public declaration from the Palace and give it a few months for Victoria to find (or to be moved to find) another candidate and a fast wedding.

Too bad that Luis Alfonso de Borbon is already married to someone else, the nice guys are always taken. :rolleyes:

PS. This post is # 997 but is actually my 1000. ;) Something happened to a couple of old posts that made my post count go Gregorian Calendar on me :p

Last edited:
Toledo said:
From what I have read so far in the Sweden thread seems that Daniel's main problem centers on, or around, one particular detail: the behind closed doors rejection from Victoria's father (or maybe both parents?) for the Crown Princess of Sweden to be dating a commoner, and not just any commoner but him in particular. Daniel, regardless of what he does, seems to be the person holding the short end of the stick in this difficult relationship that seems to be caught in a loop. Not only she is the first person that will inherit the Crown under the new laws of absolute primogeniture (the oldest child regardless of gender inherits) but she is also a female Heir, so the expectations toward whom she can marry seems to have more weight than the ones her very own father encountered when he married Sylvia.

In summary, is not easy being Daniel Westling, Mr Crown Princess Victoria Bernadotte.

I think you got it absolutely right, Toledo. I don't know whether the King opposes the possible marriage but the expectations of the duture husband of the future Queen are very high, and some people might think that Daniel is not up to them
For me, whatever makes Victoria happy is ok.

Time to close...

This thread has come to its 10 pages now, so it’s time to start up a new one. A big thanks to everyone who has participated in this one, I hope to see you all over in the next one!

The new thread, Crown Princess Victoria & Daniel Westling - Current Events Part 4 can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom