Princess Madeleine, Current Events Part 8: May 2010 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see why Madeleine had to drop everything and hurry to Sweden because her sister gave birth. She has her own life.
I know a lot of people who live and work abroad who only get to meet new family members after weeks or even months. No problem. There are telephones or skype available to do what needs to be done short term.

I agree totally. Maybe some people thought she should be there to catch the baby when it popped out:eek: but in all seriousness her presence wasn't actually needed or required. I certainly would not drop everything to fly across the Atlantic just because my sister had a baby. Its not a unique event that would require my presence. I could congratulate her by phone,webcam or skype, receive pictures by email, send a gift in the mail, and see the baby later when convenient and all the hoopla had died down and the new parents and child are settled in. I doubt if the baby would notice anyway.

Patron of Nature like Albert? The guy who uses a private plane and is hardly in Monaco? Yes, the green Prince XD
This double standard bugs me. Just because he is doing something now, we forget Madeleines work and his laziness? And when does he finishes his study?

Have you been living under a stone for the past few weeks? :lol: It was officially announced that Carl Philip wasn't as lazy as everyone thought last autumn. He was busy with his studies and has completely finished them. Even the exact results on each required subject has been published somewhere a few days ago. So much for being lazy. :p It wasn't true last autumn and definitely isn't true now. Things are not always how they seem to be for an outsider but people tend to forget/ignore that more often than not. :whistling:

I wasn´t talking about the private relationships inside the royal family, no one of us know about them. No one of us knows when Madeleine contacted Victoria and Daniel. But I just was referring to that most of the people make their mind because of what they see and what they read, and that Carl Philip has handled these last weeks quite well. Some swedish newspapers have been writing for weeks that the king has difficulties to except that Madeleine hasn´t wanted to come back to Sweden and work. We don´t know if this is true, but most of the Swedes have seen the stories.
It´s good that Madeleine is now in Sweden and hopefully she stays for some time.

Photos of Madeleine arriving to Sweden
http://www.profimedia.cz/fotografie/a-class-celberitysearchlink/profimedia-0119934126.jpg
http://www.profimedia.cz/fotografie/a-class-celberitysearchlink/profimedia-0119954425.jpg
http://www.profimedia.cz/fotografie/a-class-celberitysearchlink/profimedia-0119954422.jpg

Last edited:
This might be because I'm an only child, but I'm not flying anywhere to see a niece; I'll meet you when you are 2 or 3; but definitely not dropping everything to fly and see a new born. I think it is more important for royals to be there for a christening, not their 48hour birthday.

It's the Royal House that gets the appanage and not the individual members, we don't know if and how much money the king gives to Madeleine and the other members of the royal family and for what expences. It may be that she only gets money for the official engagements she makes and have to use money from her private trust fund/fortune for other expenses. As the Swedish royal court doesn't have to specify who gets money and who doesn't we don't know anything about Madeleine's financial situation.

Ony that she comes from an extremely rich Royal family...

And lets not forget, not everyone is into babys. While I love my nephews and nieces around, I only appreciated them when they were older and could use their brains. I was bored to death when the whole family was fawning over a screaming newborn, falling back into the infantile age and language themselves with their "dadada" and "dododo" - it wasnt for me.
While I was happy for my siblings to become parents I couldnt anticipate the circus of the first weeks - not out of jealousy but simply because I wasnt interested in any of those issues that are being discussed like what temparature the baby food should have or the best technique when feeding or changing nappies.

People are different, maybe Madeleine doesnt feel comfortable as part of the circus, for whatever reason.

Ony that she comes from an extremely rich Royal family...
The SRF is not extremely rich, compared to the British and Dutch Royal Families.

My comment was an answer to a post that said that Madeleine gets an appanage from the Swedish government and because of that she should be at "the beck and call at a minutes notice" whenever there was a royal occation such as the birth of a baby to be seen by the populaise in pretty clothes and to be admired or criticized for that. Maybe she have realized that it's time for her to have a job and a career outside the role as a princess of Sweden, and I think most employers (even if her mother heads the organization whe works for) don't accept that an employee leaves her planned duties for the birth of a niece.

Yes, Madeleine and her siblings have more money than most people have, given to them by their father when they were small, but how much she gets from the Swedish royal appanage is not known, and for what.

Meraude said:
The SRF is not extremely rich, compared to the British and Dutch Royal Families.

My comment was an answer to a post that said that Madeleine gets an appanage from the Swedish government and because of that she should be at "the beck and call at a minutes notice" whenever there was a royal occation such as the birth of a baby to be seen by the populaise in pretty clothes and to be admired or criticized for that. Maybe she have realized that it's time for her to have a job and a career outside the role as a princess of Sweden, and I think most employers (even if her mother heads the organization whe works for) don't accept that an employee leaves her planned duties for the birth of a niece.

Yes, Madeleine and her siblings have more money than most people have, given to them by their father when they were small, but how much she gets from the Swedish royal appanage is not known, and for what.

Meraude. If you have seen my other posts in this thread you would have known that i am NOT critisizing Madeleine for anything at all !
I defend her for prioritize work before holiday and to do her official engagments before travelling to Sweden. Many people on forums like this (mostly non swedes) blame her for not being the "doll princess" they want her to be but she never wants to be.
So don't critisize me for something i haven't said !

You are right that it is her family that it is her family that recives appanage and what i was trying to say was that we have every right in the world to demand something in return from people who is reciving appanage. Her official engagments in Sweden last year was almost none and as long as she is an H.R.H that's not acceptable. I also think it's right by her to "walk her own way and try to find her place and build her own life". If she finds that in New York so who are we to blame her ? She knows very well that her place in the royal family will be less important when both Victoria and Carl Philip are married and has a lot of children so she is doing right to try to find "her place in life". That the royal family recives appanage means that every member who is styled H.M King/Queen of Sweden or H.R.H Prince/Princess of Sweden takes part of the appanage given to the family. How much each member recives is decides by the King as you said too.
I have never said that Madeleine personally recives her own appanage.

Last edited:
I'm glad Princess Madeline is now back on Sweden, she has some precious cargo of her own, the little dog is cute too!

This might be because I'm an only child, but I'm not flying anywhere to see a niece; I'll meet you when you are 2 or 3; but definitely not dropping everything to fly and see a new born. I think it is more important for royals to be there for a christening, not their 48hour birthday.

I personally would immediately want to see my first niece or nephew, BUT I'm not blaming Madeleine for not doing so. She was busy in the US and had some important engagements. I think she came back as quick as it was possible for her.

Sometimes I imagine what would be the situation now if Madeleine had married Jonas: She might have a baby of her own (probably a boy, I always feared that she´d get the boy...), being happily married, living in Sweden....
I could imagine that she might be at least a little jealous seeing Victoria in all her happiness...
On the other hand: She to me seems to be a totally different person compared to Victoria. I mean: Not the type of person with husband and family, she seems to enjoy bright lights, big city and of course a totally different type of boyfriend.

So we can assume that she'll spend some time in Sweden. I hope she will, maybe press will give her some rest. Some reporters mentioned that Chris will fly to Sweden soon.

Sometimes I imagine what would be the situation now if Madeleine had married Jonas: She might have a baby of her own (probably a boy, I always feared that she´d get the boy...), being happily married, living in Sweden....
I could imagine that she might be at least a little jealous seeing Victoria in all her happiness...
On the other hand: She to me seems to be a totally different person compared to Victoria. I mean: Not the type of person with husband and family, she seems to enjoy bright lights, big city and of course a totally different type of boyfriend.

happily married?I don't think so, but she would be working in Sweden.
I am glad she didnt marry Jonas and that she seems happy, but she should be in sweden more. Said that i understand that she couldnt come back for the baby.

At Aftonbladet Klick!
She did it again: chose Chris and New York - before the family.
Aunt Madeleine waited a whole week to visit little Estelle.
- The king and queen are concerned, says a court expert to Klick!
Read all about Madeleine's new revolt - only in this weekend's edition of Klick!Läs de hetaste kändisnyheterna i Klick! | Klick! | Nöjesbladet | Aftonbladet
http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/14462763/532/normal/e6b99118bb7fe/ettan.jpg

Oh for crying out loud. She waited a whole week? She lives in New York and they live in Sweden and she got there pretty quickly considering that. Plus, it's not like it matters to Princess Estelle- she's a newborn.

This whole incident is making me feel rather bad for Madeleine.

Oh my goodness, what a kerfuffle over Madeleine's timing of her return to Sweden. When my niece was born, I couldn't drop everything to run and immediately see her and I lived in Westchester County and my sister in New Jersey at the time. So I was fairly local to her, and I didn't get raked over the coals the way Madeleine is. If she's got her dog and a load of luggage, that's a good indication she'll stay in Sweden for awhile and be around for Victoria. This is really the important time.

Last edited:
This criticism of princess Madeline is just getting ridiculous

Being there when it's important, not a photo opportunity or "milestone" is what's important with children. It may be when she is 10 or 22 yrs old, not one day old.
This is called picking a fight or being a troublemaker.

Well it's about time. I was wondering when she would visit her sister and niece. Me personally I would want to be there for my sister before the birth. But then again my sister and I are extremely close.
And you probably don't live on opposite sides of the Atlantic or be likely to have the press hanging around waiting for you to give birth or trying to get pics of your baby and of everyone around the baby.

This criticism of princess Madeline is just getting ridiculous
I agree! Although only having given birth two times I vividly remember the first week. New baby and healing from the birth. I certainly would not have been too keen on having close family visiting.

Have people always been critical of Madeleine. ? Or did it start with her decision to re-locate to New York. ?

There is a lot of criticism towards Madeleine in press reports, columns and forums, because people believe that she is getting a sum of the apanage from her father, and she doesn´t do much work for it, just some engagements in USA and very seldom in Sweden.
If she doesn´t get any money from the apanage, she should make it clear to the press, so that people could get the right information.

I think Ternert confirmed in the past that Madeleine does receive money from the Kings apanage but didnt specify.

I do share the critizism that Lady Finn explained in her post regarding her role but not what other posters said re not hurrying back to Sweden in order to see her niece.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, LadyFinn and Duke. :flowers:

If her relationship with Chris leads to marriage I cannot see her returning to Sweden, well, apart from on holidays and some official appearances now and again.

If the court were wiser they would realize that it would be good to clear the air on what her role will be for the next few years (if she stays in New York or come back to Sweden). It would make it things easier on her if they came right out and said 'for the next few years Madeleine will be staying aboard and will so she will doing any work and will not being getting state money'. Fun fact: Ostrich stick their heads in the sand believing that it makes them, or anything else disappear, but the court does. :bang: Not solving the apanage question can may very well bite them in the butt later, people like to know where the tax money is going to, and the idea that it may be spent unjustly doesn't typical set well.

:previous: I do not blame Madeleine for the delay in returning home, and if, as reported, Estelle did arrive a little early, totally unavoidable. It is also, IMO, totally unnecessary for her to be there then. Now if she didn't turn up for the Baptism, then we would have something to moan about.

No, the only time I lost patience with her was when she baled on an overseas engagement that resulted in Victoria having to make an overseas trip to substitute for her just before her marriage. That was inconsiderate but even then I only wished Madeleine had shown a little more dignity, but everyone deals with betrayal differently.

I think it is a mistake to underestimate the value of the work she does for the Foundation in NY, and to be honest, who is paying for her costs is nothing to do with us, but if all we are doing is using it as a means to bash her I guess it's as good as anything else. I just don't get why Carl Philip gets a fee pass for the same reason. Yes he was there when the King "named" the baby, and what a very onerous task that was.

But back to Madeleine. I hope she has found someone who loves her the way she should be loved and that it does not mean that we will see less of her but I think it is inevitable that she will start to live a life that is totally separate from that of the Swedish RF. In all probability she will both work and live overseas and the question of where the money is coming from is none of our business!

I didn't mean to come off as bashing Madeleine, if she wants to stay in NY that would be fine, Childhood is indeed a good organization for her to work for. I just think it would be best if they clarified because they things are now it looks like she has one foot in the door one foot out even if that's not the case. Right now know one really knows that going on, media will keep wondering when the next time she is coming to Sweden, for how long, talking about what engagements they think she come 'home' for and so on. Like right now the press is talking about her luggage of all things. They are trying to guess how long she will be here for based on how much clothes they think she packed, and that to me is insane.

As for the funds, it does not effect us, but letting it appear that state money is going to her when she is not actually working for the state can hurt the monarchy down the road. The popularity may be high now but the trend is trim down their roles (and how much say they have in things) and to get rid of monarchies not keep them so I just think that it would be in their best interest to address issues that could lead to controversy. I know that the money goes to CG to disperse but that doesn't mean he won't later be asked be held more accountable (or be more transparent) about how the money gets used. How hard would it be for the court to say that she is using her own personal money that comes from the families private fortune or from her trust fund? Half the problem is said in an older interview she said that she turned down the salary that Childhood offered her. Just to make myself clear, my problem isn't aimed at Madeline herself, but rather the way the court handles things. It's suppose to the courts job to protect her from this criticism but their not a good job.

As for letting Carl Philip off hook, I'm at a complete loss with the ridiculousness that surrounds everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom