Princess Madeleine, Current Events Part 8: May 2010 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madeleine von Schweden: Wendet sie sich von ihren Eltern ab? - BUNTE

Article about Madeleine staying in NY because she is annoyed with her parents, in particular her father, who allegedly forced her to end her relation with Jonas because of his infidelity.
Madeleine obviously only realised later on that her father is supposed to be the King of Infidelity, still married, and feels restricted by his hypocracy. Who knows, maybe Madeleine wanted to forgive Jonas and still marry him, wanting to move on but only ended the relation under pressure from her family, for image reasons (not knowing what would explode in their faces only a year later, because of the King).

She does have a point but is not consistent. Reminds me of Princess Margaret, who gave up the love of her life under pressure and because she wasnt ready to give up the title (and was unhappy all her life). Dont think Madeleine is either although there are examples in modern times (Martha Louise, Friso) where it has been done, leading to happiness of those involved.

I see Madeleine as very spoilt, wants to have the best of both worlds and is not used to making sacrifices. If she wanted Jonas, she could have married him against her parents will but it seems she wasnt sure herself or not willing to give up privileges, or she simply didnt have the guts to do so. At the end of the day, all is down to Madeleine, not to her parents or a responsibility towards a title that is unimportant in the big pictures, like in Norway or the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Madeleine von Schweden: Wendet sie sich von ihren Eltern ab? - BUNTE

Article about Madeleine staying in NY because she is annoyed with her parents, in particular her father, who allegedly forced her to end her relation with Jonas because of his infidelity.
Madeleine obviously only realised later on that her father is supposed to be the King of Infidelity, still married, and feels restricted by his hypocracy. Who knows, maybe Madeleine wanted to forgive Jonas and still marry him, wanting to move on but only ended the relation under pressure from her family, for image reasons (not knowing what would explode in their faces only a year later, because of the King).

She does have a point but is not consistent. Reminds me of Princess Margaret, who gave up the love of her life under pressure and because she wasnt ready to give up the title (and was unhappy all her life). Dont think Madeleine is either although there are examples in modern times (Martha Louise, Friso) where it has been done, leading to happiness of those involved.

I see Madeleine as very spoilt, wants to have the best of both worlds and is not used to making sacrifices. If she wanted Jonas, she could have married him against her parents will but it seems she wasnt sure herself or not willing to give up privileges, or she simply didnt have the guts to do so. At the end of the day, all is down to Madeleine, not to her parents or a responsibility towards a title that is unimportant in the big pictures, like in Norway or the Netherlands.
Sometimes I'm wondering if Victoria is really Carl Philip's and Madeleine's sister, it for sure has to do with her being the heir, but she seems to have so much more responsibility to her status than her siblings do.

I'm not sure if I believe this "parents forced her to break up with Jonas" stuff. I mean if she really loved him and was over him cheating on her, she would have marry him anyway, maybe not straight away but after a few years when the interest would calm down a bit. I think the break up had more to do with it becoming a public knowledge, hurted ego and being publicly humiliated, then with her parents pushing her into something. If she married against the will of her parents and lost her privileges, well she'll loose them at some point anyway. Looking at the current royal houses, most of the non heirs have to work to provide for themselfs and their families. It's just a matter of time when this applies also to Madde & CP. She's third in line, once Victoria & CP have children she'll be pushed even further.

I don't think her current lifestyle will be tolerated much longer. She'll have to choose if she wants to enjoy her anonymous live in US, this time on her own expences, or if she'll return to Sweden and work for the money she's getting now for free. I think there's also a lot of work she could do in Sweden in the field she seems to be interested in.

If she isn't planning on coming back to Sweden anytime soon then she is just not planning on coming back yet. This just sounds like a convenient excuse made up by either the media wanting a story or Madeleine justifying the stay in New York. If you look at the reason given for going to New York it was first that she was mad at daddy for making her end it, then upset with the media coverage and the public humiliation, then it was because she doesn't approve of Carl Philips girlfriend, and now shes mad at daddy again?

it would be really nice if Victoria got pregnant so these two and their lives would not get so much focus ..i mean i like Madeline and her brother but this scrutiny over both is silly ..

frankly i dont blame madeleine for not wanting to go back if my father acted like that towards my mother. i would not want to be in the same county as him as well

Yes, that would be a - temporary - solution to several problems.

On the surface, these families appear to be solid, but it just takes one of them to step out of line and destroy the "house of cards".

I don't know how Victoria stood to throw this hypocrite a birthday party. As for Madeleine, I wouldn't want to be around him either. This whole family, with the exception of Victoria and Daniel, is coming apart at the seams. CP has his girlfriend, whom no one, with the exception of Victoria, who's been there herself, can barely tolerate. He spends his time racing cars. Then, there's Madeleine, involved with another guy who lives life in the fast lane. It's a recipe for another fall. But the one I really feel sorry for is Queen Sylvia, having to keep up the facade when I am sure she is completely beaten down by all this.

Yes, that would be a - temporary - solution to several problems.

On the surface, these families appear to be solid, but it just takes one of them to step out of line and destroy the "house of cards".
The problem with Swedish royal family is that there are several members who are steping out of line at the same time and the avalanche of problems just keeps going and growing. It'll be interesting to see if and how they can stop it. So far all the attempts have failed. When there is much more talk about your private life then about your work, you know there is something wrong...and this currently goes for 4 out of 6 members of SRF.

I don't know how Victoria stood to throw this hypocrite a birthday party. As for Madeleine, I wouldn't want to be around him either. This whole family, with the exception of Victoria and Daniel, is coming apart at the seams.
He's her father, no matter what he did, he still is and will be her father. Since so many close family members were there he can't be such a bad person in his family circle or he and his actions are at least tolerated by them.

CP has his girlfriend, whom no one, with the exception of Victoria, who's been there herself, can barely tolerate. He spends his time racing cars. Then, there's Madeleine, involved with another guy who lives life in the fast lane. It's a recipe for another fall. But the one I really feel sorry for is Queen Sylvia, having to keep up the facade when I am sure she is completely beaten down by all this.
In the long run there are several victims in SRF, not just Silvia. As a mother she simply has to accept that her children have their own lives and make their own choices, although they might not be the right ones. As a wife, she made her choice too, what were the reasons no one knows and probably no one will know, she decided to stay with CG and that's why I don't feel sorry for her, every choice has it's consequences and they are not always nice.

hmm sorry, im too lazy to go through all 16 pages, but what the King did? i really dont know whats going on.
i know of Madeleine's issues and her brother CP too, but i dont nothing about the King and Queen.
seems that Victoria and Daniel are the most loved in Sweden. and that love will grow even more after they become parents

kathia_sophia said:
hmm sorry, im too lazy to go through all 16 pages, but what the King did? i really dont know whats going on.
i know of Madeleine's issues and her brother CP too, but i dont nothing about the King and Queen.
seems that Victoria and Daniel are the most loved in Sweden. and that love will grow even more after they become parents

The King has been accused of having an affair and links with criminals. It looks like it may be at least partly true, at least the part about the affair (he only said he had 'talked to his family about it' and it was 'time to turn the page'). A TV station now claims to have seen incriminating photos and more than half of Swedes want him to step down over the next 5-10 years.

The King has been accused of having an affair and links with criminals. It looks like it may be at least partly true, at least the part about the affair (he only said he had 'talked to his family about it' and it was 'time to turn the page'). A TV station now claims to have seen incriminating photos and more than half of Swedes want him to step down over the next 5-10 years.

But why all the fuss now?

There's been rumors about the King's infidelities for many years; in fact, he's probably less likely to have as many affairs now, since he's quite elderly.

If it's been tacitly accepted for such a long time, I don't understand why all of a sudden it's a problem?

There's been rumors about the King's infidelities for many years; in fact, he's probably less likely to have as many affairs now, since he's quite elderly.

If it's been tacitly accepted for such a long time, I don't understand why all of a sudden it's a problem?

Exactly but it would be, as the magazines suggest, very hypocritical to ask your daughter to call off an engagement because of infidelity from the groom's side, for image reasons, while being unfaithful yourself for ages. Only after Madeleine split from Jonas the various scandals of the King have come to light.

Although there have been rumours about CG for decades, for the wider public his marriage to Silvia was being presented as a sugary fairytail.

ohhh i see!!! then we have a possible abdication??? it would be possible for it to happen sooner if the bad reviews gets stronger, and Victoria would be Queen sooner than we expect

ohhh i see!!! then we have a possible abdication??? it would be possible for it to happen sooner if the bad reviews gets stronger, and Victoria would be Queen sooner than we expect
I don't think so, unless he'll be forced to and I'm not even sure if he'll abdicate in that case. He's planning to die with the crown on his head since it's a tradition, Swedish Kings do not abdicate. :whistling:

Personally, I truly hope he does not or is not forced to abdicate because Crown Princess Victoria REALLY needs time to have a family and get to have some time with them. BUT, I wish she and Daniel would make an announcement soon. Time is not on their side. I truly hope that Daniel's anti-rejection medication is not a problem. However, I am sure that his doctor would have provided for saved sperm if that were going to be the case.

i didnt know that its a tradition to not abdicate but die with the crown instead^^ i think most of monarchies do that too, being The Netherlands an exception.
so Victoria will have to wait. but its better, that way she will focus more on her private life, aka: husband and children!

cant wait to see the first baby born since 1982 (the birth of madeleine) on the Swedish royal family. Madeleine as an aunt, that would be cute to see!

Mirabel said:

All this fuss now is because it's only been explicitly said now or recently (the books, the woman interviewed). The more worrying aspect is the association with criminals. As for the infidelity, I don't condone it but it's a matter between him and the Queen.

There is no way that I believe Madeleine was reluctant to break up with Jonas after he publically humiliated her.

She comes off as immature, but terribly proud. I read elsewhere that she refused to even take his calls when he was begging for forgiveness.

I think the real reason that she fled Sweden was to escape the merciless tabloid speculation on her private life.

^i totally agree with you Moonmaiden23^^
shes not a women to beg to forgive a immature and stupid boyfriend who humiliated for cheating on her with her friend..
sorry, but even i wouldnt tolerate such bastard.

^i totally agree with you Moonmaiden23^^
shes not a women to beg to forgive a immature and stupid boyfriend who humiliated for cheating on her with her friend..
sorry, but even i wouldnt tolerate such bastard.

well, that is exactly what her mother does now...

Forgive me, but the idea of a KING being asked to abdicate because of an affair strikes me as absurd. Other than his family, who cares??

I can see Americans demanding that of their President because he doesn't live up to their "family values":bang:...but not a Scandinavian King in a country as sophisticated as Sweden.

There'd be no monarch's if everyone who cheated was forced to abdicate.(Juan Carlos, Albert II...to name a couple)

I think the discontent in Sweden with King CG has more to do with rumors of his involvement with shady people and organized crime.

Last edited:
Oh please, this is an opinion board, everybody has a right to say what they like (within reason, of course, no profanity), no matter whence they originated from.

And on that score, Madeline doesn't fool me, she's just another rich spoiled *girl*, one that doesn't impress me whatsoever.

Thank you! Some people on here have nerve talking about "mind your own business".:rolleyes: Please. This whole board is about discussion and stating opinions, so if someone feel we should "mind our own business", why are they on here in the first place? :whistling:

Back to Madeleine - we all know darn well that she lives off the Swedish taxpayers money. It may not be directly, but it's obvious that from the allowance that the King is given that he gives her money to pay for all her expenses. If she doesn't work, how else is she getting money?:rolleyes: And IMO, that's not right considering she does practically nothing to represent her country - heck, she lives in the US now!

My biggest issue is that neither her or her brother Carl Philip are deserving of their titles if they don't do anything but play all the time. What do they do to benefit their country? They don't do much charity work (showing up at the occasional ribbon cutting ceremony doesn't count), they don't serve in their armed forces, etc, so why do they deserve their royal titles still? And this goes for any royal for any royal family who does not contribute much to their country. In my eyes, having a royal title and being part of a royal family is a great opportunity to be the "voice" for so many people who don't have one and to make a difference in society. So if they're just going to do nothing, why should they get to keep their title?

Can we please get back on track - this thread is about Madeleine. Yes, her parents can be brought into this discussion, but the King and Victoria succeeding the throne are slowly taking over here. The merits of the King can be discussed in his own thread.

Thanks!
JessRulz
Swedish Mod

My biggest issue is that neither her or her brother Carl Philip are deserving of their titles if they don't do anything but play all the time. What do they do to benefit their country? They don't do much charity work (showing up at the occasional ribbon cutting ceremony doesn't count), they don't serve in their armed forces, etc, so why do they deserve their royal titles still? And this goes for any royal for any royal family who does not contribute much to their country. In my eyes, having a royal title and being part of a royal family is a great opportunity to be the "voice" for so many people who don't have one and to make a difference in society. So if they're just going to do nothing, why should they get to keep their title?

The beauty of Royalty is they don't have to do anything to deserve their titles. Whether people like it or not, they were born into this life, not voted into it.

The beauty of Royalty is they don't have to do anything to deserve their titles. Whether people like it or not, they were born into this life, not voted into it.

Maybe in the past this was the case, but we're living in a day where a lot of people consider monarchies out-of-date and a lot of people don't like supporting a family to live extravagant lifestyles while they struggle to get by. So I disagree that they don't have to do anything to deserve their titles. If that's they case, why have so many monarchies been abolished over the last 50 years? My guess is citizens were finding their royals useless because they did nothing worthwhile.

Princess Madeleine maybe titled, maybe royal. Has gone through public embarassment of being cheated on and has more or less her entire life had her private life thrown to media for this or that, whether it be true or not. But she is still also a person, a human being, someone with feelings, someone despite perhaps questionable responsibilities, none of really know how we would feel to grow up with your every move scrutinzed. Sure its all talk, "If I was her, I would, etc." But we are not Madeleine, we cannot speak for how she feels, what she will do next. But in the end I still see someone, royal or not she at very least deserves privacy like everyone else and the respect of being treated as anyone else here would its just simply sad we all bicker about our feelings if we be Swedish or American, Australian whatever. Madeleine is still someone who deserve to be left to sort out her own issues, her own life. She was born a princess, but I believe she is more than that. She isn't stupid, she isn't clueless, she isn't heartless and she certainly does not in my opinion come off as solely spoiled brat she is 28 years old not 16. Above anything she needs to be respected for who she is, not what she is.

:previous: Yes, she was cheated on and yes, her private life is/was/will be all over the media. But she isn't the only one all of the royals, as much as they try to shelter their private life, have it all over the media and most of them seem to cope with it just fine. These days it's a price you have to pay for being born with certain status, whether you like or not.
No she isn't stupid and she isn't heartless, that's what's makes the way she behaves even more sad. She seems to be interested in the issues of unprivileged children. I think there is so much she could do in this field also home in Sweden, there's no need for her to stay just in US, working for mom's charity. She could do the same from Sweden, with occasional trips to US, while also working with swedish organizations in this field. I bet then no one will complain about her being spoiled and living on appanage abroad, while doing virtualy nothing for Swedish taxpayers.

Remember when Victoria was having trouble coping with the media attention, she came to the U.S. and stayed 21/2 years, during which she did nothing to promote Sweden either. I think Madeleine will return when she feels strong enough. In the meantime, maybe a little sympathy and not so much acrimony might be in order.

i don't think Madeleine's continued stay in the US has anything to do with her and Jonas' break-up any longer. She is working there and as any other person she has also made her personal life there. What would she do in Sweden? We are the size of California with less people than Los Angeles county. How many royals can you keep busy. She would have to find other work to keep her busy and imagine the papparazzi. If she took a paying job then that would be an issue too. I hope she is having a good life in NY and the work that the World Childhood does can never be wasted.

Before the royal children were grown up the only active royal were the King, Queen and to some extent Lilian and Christina. Now we have a very busy, capable and engaged crown-princess couple.

I am expecting her to one day take over her mother's role in the organization and by working at its headquarter she is doing what she should be doing to get ready for that role.

Last edited:
The difference between when Victoria was in the US and Madeleine now being here was that Victoria didn't just come here to do her own thing, she came here shorty after her struggles with an eating disorder so she legitimately needed to get away. Not only that but she was also taking classes at a school in the US (I don't remember which one) and also at 21/22 is when most people are in college still and have more freedom and less responsibilities. Madeleine other hand isn't suffering from any actually illness, isn't going to school, and will be 29 soon. I not bothered by her having the title HRH princess, it doesn't really necessarily need to be taken away. What I do see troubling is that she is treated as if shes a working member of the family and being supported by the taxpayers with out actually doing anything to earn it.

The idea that Sweden is too small of a country for either her or brother to do anything is ridicules, Denmark is half the size of Sweden and Joachim and Marie are able to find things to do. Since they don't do as much as Frederik and Mary they have a small part of the funds, but there is not debate about their role is because it's clearly defined. But in a country with twice as large in Denmark they can't manage to find enough work to employ the same amount of people?

The woman who heads the World Childhood Foundation defended Madeleine by stating that much of their work with troubled youth is done without the press present because these young people do not want their stories out there. She also stated that Madeleine is learning the organization from the bottom up, doing a great deal of administrative work.

I don't think there is any doubt that Madeleine will assume her mother's role when the Queen decides to retire. We don't know all that Madeleine may be doing behind the scenes.

Also, the king decides who will represent Sweden both at home and abroad. If he wanted Madeleine and CP to do more, he would see that they were assigned more official duties.

He has always ruled his children with an iron will--look at how long he withheld permission for Victoria to marry--if he decides Madeleine needs to be back in Sweden, I suspect she would be back.

Right now, I think he and the queen both are satisfied that Madeleine is where she needs to be and doing what they want her to do at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom