The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope that the whole critism of Madeleine and her work will be soon very very quiet. She is working in the US and this should be also honoured like her work for the crown. Maybe she will come back to Sweden (maybe with Chris), maybe not.

I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Personally I don't understand much of the discussion.
Quote:
1) the king is free to do with his money what he wants. If he wants to dump it in the Baltic sea he is free to do so, if he wants to give his daughter an allowance he is free to do so too.
In theory, yes, but a constant discussion about something that people feel is wrong (Madeleine - or CP - receiving money from the King - taxpayers money - without being at service to Sweden) will eventually harm the reputation of the SRF and create a negative image.

Quote:
3) Her brother doesn't seem to be doing much more engagements, while he is NOT having another job. So why not focus on that if the situation needs to be critisized. Instead the press seems to be busy with representing his girlfriend as the next best thing to mother Theresa.
I agree about this and I dont get why the press is all over Sofia despite her questionable past or efforts to get the attention of everybody. I believe CP has been critizised as well and he has stepped up regarding his public image. But unfortunately for Madeleine, her story was far more dramatic and thus drew far more attention than her brother. Everybody was interested in "what is she doing now" instead of looking at CP, thinking, "by the way, what has he been doing for the past years?"

I guess the King is a Men's Man and is protecting his son much better than he protects his daughters or has a different understanding for their issues.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
1) the king is free to do with his money what he wants. If he wants to dump it in the Baltic sea he is free to do so, if he wants to give his daughter an allowance he is free to do so too.
It is my understanding that the issue is not with the King's private funds, which he can indeed burn in the palace gardens, if he wants to. The issue is that Madeline appears to be receiving money from the King's apanage - money designed for working members of the royal family.

Quote:
2) I think it is sensible for those removed from the throne to find a carreer/ something useful to do with their lives. And princess Madelaine seems to be doing just that. A situation as in Belgium where the younger children of the monarch are having a representative role and a state allowance will give much more criticism these days. It seems that most of the critisicm is just based on envy and misinformation (the latter being helped by the utterly incapable & always blabbering Mr. Tennert)
Completely agree. Especially now, with the birth of a new heiress to the throne, Madeleine's role in Sweden becomes increasingly insignificant.

Quote:
3) Her brother doesn't seem to be doing much more engagements, while he is NOT having another job. So why not focus on that if the situation needs to be critisized. Instead the press seems to be busy with representing his girlfriend as the next best thing to mother Theresa.
One of the first discussions I read upon joining this forum less than a month ago was about Carl Philip's work ethics, or rather, lack of them. He appears to be doing more engagements now that Victoria is on maternity leave; nevertheless, the issue with his limited schedule has always been there. I think the media has concentrated far more on his private life than official one. Madeleine got far more criticism than her brother because she wasn't even in Sweden.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Madeleine and Chris were seen skiing in the slopes in Verbier. According to Iltalehti and SvenskDam, they were kissing and hugging between skiing. Carl Philip stayed in Verbier also for a couple of days on his way to Brussels.
Madeleines och Chris mysiga dag i Verbier | Svensk Damtidning
Google translation

I wish they had used helmets.

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010050...22610461267277
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010050...22610461267277
Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

I think she should give up all her rights from beeing a royal...she will always be the daugther of the Queen and King but her rights has a Princess she should ot have them anymore...she wants to live ehr life apart from beeing a member of the royal family so sh can do that but she must assume that!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

But why should she? In many ways, she is like younger royals in most monarchies. Prince Harry, for instance, decided to dedicate himself to Army, rather than becoming a full-time working royal; should he renounce his rights? Or William, for that matter?
If Princess Madeleine chooses to permanently move to the United States and not perform any duties on behalf of the Swedish Crown, in that case she should stop receiving money from apanage. Other than that, there are no reasons for her to give up her rights.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

And is she still receiving that money? That is why she should assume that she wants to live a different and normal life appart from the royal life, if she assumes that than she can live her life and give up this apanage (if she is still receiving it), but in my opinion she should choose between beeing Royal or beeing a normal person with a job and a salary...
Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Royal Highness

Well there is plenty of royals who live this way, they get money from state if they works (like Madeleine) rest is from private funds or other jobs. Madeleine is not on vacation in NY, she's working but we don't see it cause it's boring desk work. Time for decision will be when she will get married. She'll choose living abroad without performing duties in Sweden - she won't get apanage but will have full right to keep the title (or will reduce to HH). She'll go back - will be still HRH and will get money for her work as princess.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
will have full right to keep the title (or will reduce to HH).
The title HH doesn't exist in Sweden, she will either be HRH princess Madeleine or princess Madeleine, mrs X, the same way as the king's sisters have the courtesy title of princess without being HH. It's possible that Madeleine would be allowed to keep the title of duchess without the HRH, if she marries with the king's permission if she doesn't keep her full title of HRH princess Madeleine.

I'm not sure that the king would allow/accept that Madeleine gives up her place in the Swedish succession, not until Estelle is 18 and can become a regent herself, in case of something happens to either Victoria or Carl Philip before that, so that there won't be the same situation as during the king's minority with only one person able to be regent (prince Bertil).
Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
If Princess Madeleine chooses to permanently move to the United States and not perform any duties on behalf of the Swedish Crown, in that case she should stop receiving money from apanage. Other than that, there are no reasons for her to give up her rights.
Exactly, this scenario would put end to all discussions.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
The title HH doesn't exist in Sweden, she will either be HRH princess Madeleine or princess Madeleine, mrs X, the same way as the king's sisters have the courtesy title of princess without being HH. It's possible that Madeleine would be allowed to keep the title of duchess without the HRH, if she marries with the king's permission if she doesn't keep her full title of HRH princess Madeleine.

I'm not sure that the king would allow/accept that Madeleine gives up her place in the Swedish succession, not until Estelle is 18 and can become a regent herself, in case of something happens to either Victoria or Carl Philip before that, so that there won't be the same situation as during the king's minority with only one person able to be regent (prince Bertil).
Thanks
I didn't know it. I though that situation could be similar like in Norway, where ML reduced her role in RF and was given HH instead HRH title. I don't think that Madeleine will lost her place in succession line, unless she will marry without permission.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Swedish royal reporter Jenny Alexandersson has given an interview to norwegian Side2 about the criticism towards Madeleine and that she perhaps does the same as Märtha Louise in the future.
PRINSESSE MADELEINE - Bør hun gjøre som Märtha Louise? - Side2
Google translation
Old 03-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Madeleine´s interview at the website of the royal family, the interview is made during her visit after she had been two weeks in Sweden (about 11th March) and published only now.
Intervju med Prinsessan Madeleine - Sveriges Kungahus
Google translation
Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

The "thing" we all be waiting for...she was right by doing it, clarify things was the best things to do!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

We really don't see much of her work in the Childhood foundation...we don't hear much of this foundation...their work...I really believe they help children but... she is not working for sweden...Childwood is a non profit organization so she is not receiving any money for that...Has she said in the interview..."I pay for my stay at private expense" where does the money come from?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas
We really don't see much of her work in the Childhood foundation...we don't hear much of this foundation...their work...I really believe they help children but... she is not working for sweden...Childwood is a non profit organization so she is not receiving any money for that...Has she said in the interview..."I pay for my stay at private expense" where does the money come from?
The King set up trust funds for all his children. They may be large enough to support them even if they don't work for a salary. Also, the Royal Family have private wealth which they can spend as they please. However, I think it's important to clarify that Madeleine isn't receiving public money which could otherwise go into the running of the court or financing the work the SRF do for Sweden.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
We really don't see much of her work in the Childhood foundation...we don't hear much of this foundation...their work...
Perhaps these links might help to 'see' more:

Childhood - Startpage
https://www.childhood-usa.org/
Childhood Brasil
Childhood - Startpage
Quote:
The King set up trust funds for all his children. They may be large enough to support them even if they don't work for a salary. Also, the Royal Family have private wealth which they can spend as they please.
Correct.

The money paid 'at private expense' by Madeleine is most likely and very simply coming from... her bank account.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to SvenskDam, while in Sweden, Madeleine attended the baptism of the baby of her friend Charlotte Kreuger, she was chosen as godmother.

The director of the press department of the court, Bertil Ternert to Dagensmedia about Madeleine´s interview at the court website:
- Before Madeleine returned to the U.S., she wanted to answer the criticism leveled at her and then she chose to do that at our own website. There is nothing special in it.
There were no thoughts to allow her to be interviewed by the external media?
- There is a great interest around Princess Madeleine, I have received inquiries from dozens of media to interview her, but the thing is that what is written about her often becomes very negative.
What do you mean?
- She has become very cautious in responding to some journalists from various media for what she says, it has been completely reinterpreted. So it was a practical solution for her to speak through our website so that she could say what she really wanted to say.
Hovet: ”Vissa medier vinklar väldigt negativt” - Dagens Media
Google translation
Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Link to a report with pictures about Princess Madeleine's project visit to Texas, from the home page of the World Childhood Foundation USA:

https://www.childhood-usa.org/news/2...ildrens-needs/

Closed Thread