The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure she'd be perceived that she's not serious about her job if she drops everything and leave her obligations at a moment's notice, even if she has leeway in her job. It's seems she's trying to get to Sweden as soon as feasibly possible.

And didn't this birth come earlier than expected? I'm sure she didn't clear her calendar forseeing this.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

And why they didn´t tell about this seminar/forum on Thursday? They just said many times that Madeleine is coming as soon as she can and that her trip is planned. They must have known about Madeleine´s work duties before, on the other hand, maybe they don´t know about her Childhood work duties.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Courtier

Given that the naming ceremony / Thanksgiving follows so quickly after the birth and given the time differences between Sweden and New York would it have even been possible for Madeleine to drop all, get a flight and get there in time. ?

I imagine that her work / duties schedule was organised to coincide with the predicted March due date.

Unless something catastrophic happened, i.e. either Victoria or the baby died I don't see why she should change her plans. She is, I assume, going to be at the Christening. So, I don't get what all the fuss is about. ? My thoughts only. !
Old 02-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
And why they didn´t tell about this seminar/forum on Thursday? They just said many times that Madeleine is coming as soon as she can and that her trip is planned. They must have known about Madeleine´s work duties before, on the other hand, maybe they don´t know about her Childhood work duties.
They probably answered the reporters' questions without consulting with her first, then found out she had this seminar on Monday.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
You are right.
And, frankly, even here in the US, the same would be true. Most people don't take off work to fly to the other side of the country/across the ocean, to see a sibling's newborn baby. Now, if it's local (by that I mean within a reasonable driving distance of no more than a few hours), it wouldn't seem unreasonable to take a personal day off work to go see the baby but if a person is going to be off work for more than two days, it's likely that co-workers and supervisors would raise an eyebrow and think privately that you should wait until you can schedule some vacation time and not inconvenience everyone else unexpectedly.

While I'm sure that Madeleine has far more flexibility with her job than most of us, the fact remains that she probably can't just drop everything and head to Sweden on a moment's notice to see her sister's newborn baby. Beyond that, we don't know if there's some sort of fundraiser or publicity event coming up that requires Madeleine's time and effort which would prevent her from flying over to Sweden immediately. And, frankly, Victoria doesn't seem like the type of person to hold a grudge against her sister for not hopping the next flight over. Who knows? Maybe they joked about it and Mads told her sister "the baby can't come before such-and-such date!"

Mountain out of a molehill, much, folks?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Nobility

Its not like its HARD to get on a flight from NY to Stockholm. Between the time of the birth and the Te Deum there were atleast 3-4 direct flights and a number of flights were she had to change planes in Amsterdam or London. She is supposed to be representing Sweden as a royalty and she dont do that. I know that in our constitution there is a line that say that if the monarch is unable to fullfill the duties of a monarch the next in line steps in as acting monarch. I guess Madeleine could qualify to loose her title soon.

Most people i speak to say she is a brat and dont deserve to be a royalty if she cant stand Sweden
Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74
Its not like its HARD to get on a flight from NY to Stockholm. Between the time of the birth and the Te Deum there were atleast 3-4 direct flights and a number of flights were she had to change planes in Amsterdam or London. She is supposed to be representing Sweden as a royalty and she dont do that. I know that in our constitution there is a line that say that if the monarch is unable to fullfill the duties of a monarch the next in line steps in as acting monarch. I guess Madeleine could qualify to loose her title soon.

Most people i speak to say she is a brat and dont deserve to be a royalty if she cant stand Sweden
The only way Madeleine can lose her H.R.H title is by marry without permission from the king and the governent or if she renounces it upon marriage.

She's not expected to represent as much as Victoria but last year her official engagements in Sweden were almost zero and that's absolutely not acceptable as long as she recives appanage. I think she should give up her H.R.H and stop reciving appanage upon marriage if she doesn't want to live in Sweden.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:19 AM
Serene Highness

Now you can stop worry for Madeleine. She landed at Stockholm Arlanda Airport this morning. She will visit the "Haga Family" and her other family members.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard
Now you can stop worry for Madeleine. She landed at Stockholm Arlanda Airport this morning. She will visit the "Haga Family" and her other family members.
I doubt anyone was worried about her. More disappointed.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

I doubt anyone was worried about her. More disappointed.
Well..........her family cares. And many swedes too.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:57 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I dont see why Madeleine had to drop everything and hurry to Sweden because her sister gave birth. She has her own life.
I know a lot of people who live and work abroad who only get to meet new family members after weeks or even months. No problem. There are telephones or skype available to do what needs to be done short term.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Nobility

Madeleine at Stockholm Arlanda Airport
ImageBam
ImageBam
Old 02-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Royal Highness

Agree. If she has important reason to stay in NY (some conference if I'm not mistaken) I'm happy that she choose to do it. Estelle just born, Madeleine will have plenty of time to spend with her niece. I don't understand why Vicky and Daniel must be bombarded by the visitors, young mother need some rest. But of course Swedish media cannot forgive Madeleine that she's not in Sweden. At least Sofia is there...
Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard

Well..........her family cares. And many swedes too.
Her family I can understand, but surely they would be the only people who would know her plans. Therefore no need to worry when you know what's going on.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74 View Post

Well, she is there now, isn't she?

As for it not being hard to come to Stockhold: we all know why she left in the first place! And it is hard to come back to see your sister happily married and having a new child when you are still unmarried, though you announced your engagement at about the same time! Maybe it is true that she found new love in NY, well, more reason not to return to Sweden.

I think her coming homw to see the baby is a great gesture and more than she needed to do.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn
As for it not being hard to come to Stockhold: we all know why she left in the first place! And it is hard to come back to see your sister happily married and having a new child when you are still unmarried, though you announced your engagement at about the same time! Maybe it is true that she found new love in NY, well, more reason not to return to Sweden.
If that's what's keeping her away from Sweden then Madeleine is an extremely bitter person.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If that's what's keeping her away from Sweden then Madeleine is an extremely bitter person.
If that's the reason I would rather say she's still very hurt which shows how much she really loved Jonas and how deep his cheating on her went in/on her.

But honestly I doubt that's the reason why she still is living in NY. Like I said before I think she's just being realistic and knows that her time as a main member of the SRF will soon be over and that's why she does the only logical thing to do now: building herself a life that fulfills her in the future. And she has every right to do so IMO.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
She's not expected to represent as much as Victoria but last year her official engagements in Sweden were almost zero and that's absolutely not acceptable as long as she recives appanage.
It's the Royal House that gets the appanage and not the individual members, we don't know if and how much money the king gives to Madeleine and the other members of the royal family and for what expences. It may be that she only gets money for the official engagements she makes and have to use money from her private trust fund/fortune for other expenses. As the Swedish royal court doesn't have to specify who gets money and who doesn't we don't know anything about Madeleine's financial situation.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Serene Highness

http://translate.google.com/translat...san-estelle%2F
According to Svenskdam, Madeleine will visit Haga later today.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Not at all imo. Bitterness wouldn't be the issue. One has only to have loved deeply to know how powerful the wrenching was for her. The poor kid. What she went through I wouldn't wish on anyone - been there, done that, bought the t-shirt - no fun and it takes a long. long time to heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
If that's the reason I would rather say she's still very hurt which shows how much she really loved Jonas and how deep his cheating on her went in/on her.
And though we will never know, its possible that were she not who she is (royal) she would have stayed with him. Possible.

Happily, though, given that she may be one of the 'walking wounded' amongst us, the picture of her at the airport looks radiant and healthy. Good for her!

I think she may be someone that will disappoint many - especially if she chooses to live abroad. Living in Sweden would have been one thing with Jonas - but that's likely not to happen now - and understandably so.

Closed Thread