Princess Madeleine, Current Events Part 8: May 2010 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The headline of Aftonbladet: Look, she is working
Titta, hon jobbar! | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Finnish MTV3 quotes the article of Johan T Lindwall in Expressen. Lindwall admits that he was quite harsh towards Madeleine before the Christmas, when he wrote that Madeleine was so absent-minded, that she would have been fired if she would have worked for a joint-stock company. Madeleine came to Sweden to meet Estelle. It was believed that she would soon jump to the plane and fly back to New York. But the king had different plans. The criticism for Madeleine has been very tough for the king. That is why he has filled up Madeleine´s calendar. The king wants to make it clear to everyone, that his daughter isn´t lazy. By putting work engagements to Madeleine´s calendar is wanted to be shown, that she is needful. Madeleine has visited many organizations during the last days, Lindwall says that he has never followed Madeleine in town so much.
Näin Kaarle Kustaa suojelee Madeleinea - MTV3.fi - Viihde - Uutiset

is she gonna stay until charle and camila visit

is she gonna stay until charle and camila visit

Madeleine isn´t listed to attend the visit yet. She has a project trip to Texas on 28-29th March.
H.K.H. Prinsessan Madeleine - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Daniel Nyhlén criticizes the media about how they treat the royals, they should have asked from Madeleine how much she works for "Min stora dag" and other important questions, when they met her.
Urvattnade frågor till en prinsessa | Daniel Nyhlén | improveme.se
Google translation

Last edited:
Expressen about the criticism towards Madeleine and that she has got some work events last and this week:
The princess takes the opportunity to do some things now that she is at home in Stockholm,. Some things are not really public. But there have been some criticizing because it has been too little about her business. Now we have taken the initiative to publish more information as you can see what the the princess does, said Bertil Ternert, director of the information department.

Is he trying to say that Madeleine pre-critizism used to secretly attend events in Sweden that nobody knows about? Yeah, sure :whistling:

Nice article, glad to see a journalist taking up for Princess Madeline. She makes some valid points, imo. So, thanks for posting!

Finnish Iltasanomat quotes Expressen:
Madeleine went from Sweden to her favourite Verbier for a skiing holiday. Only a few people recognize royals in Switzerland, but a lucky one got a photo of Madeleine with a pipe deep in her head and ski goggles on. Madeleine was skiing with her best friend Louise Gottlieb, Andrea Engsäll (a friend of Victoria) was also with them. Madeleine seemed to be on a very good mood. On Saturday Madeleine was seen walking at the main street of Verbier at 17.00 o´clock. Chris O´Neill and the friends of the couple arrive from the States to Verbier this week.

She was on a skiing holiday after Christmas and now again.

Last edited:
Nice to see an article supportive of Madeleine. Thank you, Magmil.

Last edited:
I agree with the concept of the article but disagree with the reference to Harry. Harry does part time royal work but is a full time soldier. That's a big difference.

Finnish Iltasanomat quotes Expressen:
Madeleine went from Sweden to her favourite Verbier for a skiing holiday. Only a few people recognize royals in Switzerland, but a lucky one got a photo of Madeleine with a pipe deep in her head and ski goggles on. Madeleine was skiing with her best friend Louise Gottlieb, Andrea Engsäll (a friend of Victoria) was also with them. Madeleine seemed to be on a very good mood. On Saturday Madeleine was seen walking at the main street of Verbier at 17.00 o´clock. Chris O´Neill and the friends of the couple arrive from the States to Verbier this week.

She was on a skiing holiday after Christmas and now again.
And why not. Nothing unusual for Swedes go leave for the Alps for long weekends, short vacations or even longer vacations of skiing. It's winter and the only time for skiing.

Wonderful article!!! At least ONE journalist is brave enough to write an article like this one and says out loud what a lot of reasonable people are thinking. Thank you, Britta Svensson, for this great article.

This article has reached Billed Bladet as well: Billed-Bladet - Royale eksperter: Stop kritikken af prinsesse Madeleine

And another expert, Kjell Arne Totland, is quoted for saying to the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet: "I am also among those who have always believed that the critisism of Princess Madeleine has been unfair and exaggerated. She is doing a great job for her mother's relief organisation in New York and she is generating a lot of attention on the work they are doing".
- Ikke mobb Madeleine - Kjendis

And Totland continues: "I also think you should have an understanding for/feel empathy for that the Princess after the dramatuc and very publis break up with Bergstrøm, felt a need to get away and start on a fresh in a new place - fully accepted by her parents. I actually believe that the family is proud that Madde has managed to get back on her feet and reestablish herself again, as she has".

I also think that this whole issue becoming so prominent in the media has a lot to do with the dysfunctions of the family (enforced (?) break-up from Jonas, the King's affairs & embarrassment to Queen Silvia etc). Had Madeleine quietly gone to NY without all the fuzz around it, with a short info that she wanted to work for her mothers foundation in NY, nobody would mind or had asked any questions. Its only because of that "running away from it all" taste to the story. Madeleine loves her status and a big entrance, what didnt help, neither did the everchanging story of her apanage.

To me its no question that she will remain a Princess of Sweden but, like in Spain, they should have made clear from the very beginning (and if its not true then its the way it should be handled in the future) that she will be paid for her work in NY by the foundation and that she will be paid for attending swedish events by the King. And then go and live your life as you want. What is so difficult about it.

Personally I don't understand much of the discussion.

1) the king is free to do with his money what he wants. If he wants to dump it in the Baltic sea he is free to do so, if he wants to give his daughter an allowance he is free to do so too.

2) I think it is sensible for those removed from the throne to find a carreer/ something useful to do with their lives. And princess Madelaine seems to be doing just that. A situation as in Belgium where the younger children of the monarch are having a representative role and a state allowance will give much more criticism these days. It seems that most of the critisicm is just based on envy and misinformation (the latter being helped by the utterly incapable & always blabbering Mr. Tennert)

3) Her brother doesn't seem to be doing much more engagements, while he is NOT having another job. So why not focus on that if the situation needs to be critisized. Instead the press seems to be busy with representing his girlfriend as the next best thing to mother Theresa.

Last edited:
I hope that the whole critism of Madeleine and her work will be soon very very quiet. She is working in the US and this should be also honoured like her work for the crown. Maybe she will come back to Sweden (maybe with Chris), maybe not.

Personally I don't understand much of the discussion.
1) the king is free to do with his money what he wants. If he wants to dump it in the Baltic sea he is free to do so, if he wants to give his daughter an allowance he is free to do so too.

In theory, yes, but a constant discussion about something that people feel is wrong (Madeleine - or CP - receiving money from the King - taxpayers money - without being at service to Sweden) will eventually harm the reputation of the SRF and create a negative image.

3) Her brother doesn't seem to be doing much more engagements, while he is NOT having another job. So why not focus on that if the situation needs to be critisized. Instead the press seems to be busy with representing his girlfriend as the next best thing to mother Theresa.
I agree about this and I dont get why the press is all over Sofia despite her questionable past or efforts to get the attention of everybody. I believe CP has been critizised as well and he has stepped up regarding his public image. But unfortunately for Madeleine, her story was far more dramatic and thus drew far more attention than her brother. Everybody was interested in "what is she doing now" instead of looking at CP, thinking, "by the way, what has he been doing for the past years?"

I guess the King is a Men's Man and is protecting his son much better than he protects his daughters or has a different understanding for their issues.

It is my understanding that the issue is not with the King's private funds, which he can indeed burn in the palace gardens, if he wants to. The issue is that Madeline appears to be receiving money from the King's apanage - money designed for working members of the royal family.

2) I think it is sensible for those removed from the throne to find a carreer/ something useful to do with their lives. And princess Madelaine seems to be doing just that. A situation as in Belgium where the younger children of the monarch are having a representative role and a state allowance will give much more criticism these days. It seems that most of the critisicm is just based on envy and misinformation (the latter being helped by the utterly incapable & always blabbering Mr. Tennert)
Completely agree. Especially now, with the birth of a new heiress to the throne, Madeleine's role in Sweden becomes increasingly insignificant.

One of the first discussions I read upon joining this forum less than a month ago was about Carl Philip's work ethics, or rather, lack of them. He appears to be doing more engagements now that Victoria is on maternity leave; nevertheless, the issue with his limited schedule has always been there. I think the media has concentrated far more on his private life than official one. Madeleine got far more criticism than her brother because she wasn't even in Sweden.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think she should give up all her rights from beeing a royal...she will always be the daugther of the Queen and King but her rights has a Princess she should ot have them anymore...she wants to live ehr life apart from beeing a member of the royal family so sh can do that but she must assume that!

:previous:
But why should she? In many ways, she is like younger royals in most monarchies. Prince Harry, for instance, decided to dedicate himself to Army, rather than becoming a full-time working royal; should he renounce his rights? Or William, for that matter?
If Princess Madeleine chooses to permanently move to the United States and not perform any duties on behalf of the Swedish Crown, in that case she should stop receiving money from apanage. Other than that, there are no reasons for her to give up her rights.

Last edited:
And is she still receiving that money? That is why she should assume that she wants to live a different and normal life appart from the royal life, if she assumes that than she can live her life and give up this apanage (if she is still receiving it), but in my opinion she should choose between beeing Royal or beeing a normal person with a job and a salary...

Well there is plenty of royals who live this way, they get money from state if they works (like Madeleine) rest is from private funds or other jobs. Madeleine is not on vacation in NY, she's working but we don't see it cause it's boring desk work. Time for decision will be when she will get married. She'll choose living abroad without performing duties in Sweden - she won't get apanage but will have full right to keep the title (or will reduce to HH). She'll go back - will be still HRH and will get money for her work as princess.

will have full right to keep the title (or will reduce to HH).
The title HH doesn't exist in Sweden, she will either be HRH princess Madeleine or princess Madeleine, mrs X, the same way as the king's sisters have the courtesy title of princess without being HH. It's possible that Madeleine would be allowed to keep the title of duchess without the HRH, if she marries with the king's permission if she doesn't keep her full title of HRH princess Madeleine.

I'm not sure that the king would allow/accept that Madeleine gives up her place in the Swedish succession, not until Estelle is 18 and can become a regent herself, in case of something happens to either Victoria or Carl Philip before that, so that there won't be the same situation as during the king's minority with only one person able to be regent (prince Bertil).

If Princess Madeleine chooses to permanently move to the United States and not perform any duties on behalf of the Swedish Crown, in that case she should stop receiving money from apanage. Other than that, there are no reasons for her to give up her rights.

Exactly, this scenario would put end to all discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom