Princess Madeleine, Current Events Part 8: May 2010 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not like its HARD to get on a flight from NY to Stockholm. Between the time of the birth and the Te Deum there were atleast 3-4 direct flights and a number of flights were she had to change planes in Amsterdam or London. She is supposed to be representing Sweden as a royalty and she dont do that. I know that in our constitution there is a line that say that if the monarch is unable to fullfill the duties of a monarch the next in line steps in as acting monarch. I guess Madeleine could qualify to loose her title soon.

Most people i speak to say she is a brat and dont deserve to be a royalty if she cant stand Sweden

Maddy has a job and a life in NY. It's not like she is partying there. She represents Sweden, working with the foundation her mother established.

Next in line steps up if the monarch is unable? How is this relevant? CG is the monarch and quite able. Vik is just the heir. And CP is after her in succession. It he who has to step up to fill in for Vik, if any one.

She can't lose her title unless she marries without permission, or renounces them.

Just because she doesn't live in Sweden, doesn't make her 1. a brat 2. mean she hates Sweden. Many royals live abroad at some time, many went to school abroad.

NGalitzine said:
And you probably don't live on opposite sides of the Atlantic or be likely to have the press hanging around waiting for you to give birth or trying to get pics of your baby and of everyone around the baby.

Actually I travel a lot and I'm not around my sister every waking moment, but I would drop everything to be with her for her birth. But like I said we are extremely close. I'm not sure what kind of relationship Madeleine and Victoria has. Maybe it's not a big deal for Madde to arrive a few days later. I don't know. But personally, it would be a big deal for me;)

Just a point of clarification? It was rumoured that Madeline had an engagement/meeting that was previously scheduled before she could leave for Sweden. Did we get confirmation on that?

I remember when my sister was expecting, first of all she was a bit early, and she called me to let me know she was in labour. I went to the hospital and left with the intention of coming back. I had sales appointments that I couldn't cancel and I incorrectly assumed that it would be a couple of hours (thus I could do my work business) and be back in time for the birth.

No such go. As everyone knows, babies are on their schedule. Not your schedule. And heres the thing, some people don't care if your sister is giving birth (unless you are the coach or something), they are going to wonder why you can't go see her after your business is done.

If Madeleine was on vacation just chilling on a beach, I could understand how some might wonder why she didn't just drop everything to go to Victoria. But if its true she had a business engagement, than I understand why she met her professional committment and than went to Sweden. And frankly, I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that she is or is not close to Victoria. She met a professional commitment and than she came home.

Honestly, this reminds me a bit from an episode of Charmed (Gosh, I loved that show). Piper and Leo had their first baby (Wyatt!) and when new Aunt Phoebe's new boss wanted to meet with her to go over her column, she indicated that their was a problem with the baby, and she needed to go home (honestly I think some demons where after Wyatt if anyone else remembers the show). But new boss didin't know that (of course) and he said something extremely profound. Are his parents with him?

Yes, they were.

Last edited:
There is an article in Aftonbladet about Madeleine, denying that she gets money from the royal appanage for her living in New York: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article14476672.ab

Bertil Ternert also takes upon him the fact that Madeleine's schedule looks as empty as it does, he haven't been checking with her about her engagements for the Childhood Foundation and filling them in in her public schedule.

There is an article in Aftonbladet about Madeleine, denying that she gets money from the royal appanage for her living in New York: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article14476672.ab

Bertil Ternert also takes upon him the fact that Madeleine's schedule looks as empty as it does, he haven't been checking with her about her engagements for the Childhood Foundation and filling them in in her public schedule.

It´s interesting, earlier Ternert confirmed that Madeleine gets a part of the apanage. At the article a member of the parliament, Hillevi Larsson from the Social Democratic Party says: It may be well to have their word about that, but I want a clearer accounting. We do not know how money is spent, she said. Since money does not go to some private expenditure, it can not violate the privacy of royalty that it is publicly shown how the apanage is used, she says. Then you should probably only be playing with open cards, says Larsson after the program has been recorded.
Let´s hope that Ternert is telling the truth, it would be a catastrophe if he would be caught of lying.

At Expressen:
Ternert remarks: Then you should know that the Bernadotte family came to Sweden and brought with them a fortune, and it is owned by the family.
"Privat förmögenhet betalar för Madeleine" | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation

Madeleine attends also at the official dinner on 15th March with the king and the queen.
http://www.kungahuset.se/kalender/hkhprinsessanmadeleine.4.7d567ccd12609a2858d80003412.html

Last edited:
It´s interesting, earlier Ternert confirmed that Madeleine gets a part of the apanage.
What Ternert says in the article in Expresen, "Privat förmögenhet betalar för Madeleine" | Nyheter | Expressen | Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Ekonomi Nöje , is that she doesn't get an appanage when she's in the U.S., which probably mean that she gets an appanage when she is/lives in Sweden. If that's true then it's cheaper for the Swedish people to have her living in the U.S. It would also mean that Carl Philip is getting an appanage as he is living in Sweden, even during those times when he just have/had very few or no official engagements (did the appanage pay for the expenses for his studies??)

I guess I'm in the camp of not understanding why it would be expected that a sister should fly around the world to visit a newborn niece on the day of her birth. I lived on the east coast and my sister on the west coast and when she had her children, I think the last thing she would have needed was me hanging around while she and her husband bonded with the baby. It's true that Madeleine can do other things while she is in Sweden whereas I would not have known anyone in Ca and would have just been hanging around but still the idea of having to be there at the time of the birth is so funny to me.

A year ago Bertil Ternert answered:
How does princess Madeleine finance her working in New York?
- She does not acknowledge any salary from it. She is also a person who has a part of the apanage.
Does Madeleine live up to 100 percent with the appanage?
- I do not know if she has any compensation in general.
How much money Madeleine gets from the apanage in a month?
- There are things that we do not answer we will not go through what each one disposes, we report no receipts.
"Hon har en del av apanaget" | Newzglobe.com
Google translation

The swedish royal court needs a better director of the press department than Ternert, every time he opens his mouth he causes problems.

Last edited:
yes she should have been come before because the newborn niece is the next swedish queen

The swedish royal court needs a better director of the press department than Ternert, every time he opens his mouth he causes problems.
...and he opens his mouth to blab over the phone to Swedish tabloid writers far too frequently.
First he turns himself into the only source for the issue that Princess Madeleine DOES receive part of the King's state money, now he claims she does NOT, which means he was either lying back then or is lying now.
That in turn simply means that he disqualifies himself as the only official, reliable source for information about the Royal family.
He has proven himself too many times to be totally incompetent - the sooner he leaves to make room for a PR pro, the better.

It's great news that Princess Madeleine will attend the representation gala at Stockholm Palace on March 15 as well.

Well she still does her Princess job so she sure is receiving part of the king's money..ohterwise how can she keep living her live in new York? How can she keep spending money in expensive shops, having meals in exclusive restaurants in new York?She has the life that everyone else wants to have...a Prncess in New York...

she sure is receiving part of the king's money..ohterwise how can she keep living her live in new York?
There's a difference between receiving money from the King's private fortune or from the budget given to the King by the government for the royal family as apanage. According to Ternert, version March, Princess Madeleine does not get a share of her own from the state money.
Apart from that, it's a well-known fact that each of the King and Queen's three children were - like most children of wealthy parents - provided very early on with trust funds in their name which by now they certainly have at their disposal.

A video of yesterday´s Kvällsöppet, about Madeleine´s work, who pays it and should she work more. Director of the information department Bertil Ternert, royal experts Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg and Roger Lundgren, editors, politicians and royalists discussing.
Kvällsöppet: Kvällsöppet del 7 - TV4 Play

Well she still does her Princess job so she sure is receiving part of the king's money..ohterwise how can she keep living her live in new York? How can she keep spending money in expensive shops, having meals in exclusive restaurants in new York?She has the life that everyone else wants to have...a Prncess in New York...
She and her siblings have trust funds and they got them when they were toddlers. In 2011 one of the companies they have shares in had a profit of almost 1 000 000 Swedish crowns after taxes, the year before the profit was about 2 500 000 Swedish crowns, Miljonvinst för kungabarnen and those money are their own, not tax-payers money or their father's money.

Expressen´s royal reporter Johan T Lindwall has been interviewed by the webnews of finnish TV channel MTV3. He said that he knows that the king and the queen would want Madeleine to spent more time in Sweden. Madeleine has made it clear that she has started a new life in USA and that she won´t help with Victoria´s duties during her maternity leave. Lindwall says that Madeleine is needed in Sweden now more than never before. If she continues to act up, it will do much harm for the whole royal family.
Hovitoimittaja: Madeleinen käytös vahingoittaa kuningasperhettä - MTV3.fi - Viihde - Uutiset

Wow! I can;t believe how much this has snowballed out of control. starting withe Madeline not coming or being in Sweden before the birth of her niece. then with her being in N.Y. now to how she gets her money.
WHO CARES!!!! she is an adult. she can make her own choices, which she is doing. If she is living off her trust fund, good for her. She has a job. She is not sitting around a N.Y. penthouse all day eating bon bons watching t.v. and then going out and partying in all the clubs all night. She is living a respectable life for a princess.
Yes, by my opinion, I think she should step up right now and help with some of the duties of her sister while she in on maternity leave. but on the same token, she does have responsibilities at her job that she needs to get back to.
Sheesh, whoever is blabbing their mouth off about her and her income should just shut up and keep quiet. they seem to just be stirring the pot where she is concerned, and all because she was not there on time to see a new baby come into the world!:bang:

I don't really see what the fuss is about Madeline not being there to see the baby born. Victoria had Daniel and to me that is the only person she needed at the time. The baby doesn't know Madeline wasn't there so what is the problem. The baby is still the same baby a couple of days later Madeline didn't miss any thing.

The problem isn´t that Madeleine didn´t come straight to see Estelle, but that people have started to wonder, why Madeleine has only a few royal duties in Sweden, and that Ternert said a year ago that she is getting a part of the apanage. People who criticize Madeleine think that if she isn´t working in Sweden and isn´t doing any royal work engagements, she shouldn´t be getting any apanage. There are no photos of Madeleine working for Childhood so that people could see even a part of her work. Now Ternert has said that Madeleine doesn´t get any apanage. We shall see, how the media and people take this news.

At the "Kvällsöppet" of TV4 on Monday they spoke about half the royal part of the program about Madeleine, how much she does work, should she work more, how can she represent Sweden the best possible way (she can represent Sweden well also in USA) and how is she paid about her work. Somebody had sent a letter to TV4 considering that Madeleine works very little for her money gotten from the apanage. Then they spoke about the apanage and the need to have more money. Ternert remarked that they want more money just because of the inflation.
About Madeleine Ternert said that she is working full time, nine hours a day. But because she is working with vulnerable children, they can´t take cameras to her work place.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a similar discussion in the Netherland about prince Constantijn as there is about Madeleine? Their situation is similar, both are the third child of a monarch and work abroad and doesn't participate in many royal engagements. Or is the discussion here and in Swedish papers because Madeleine is a female and therefore expected to "just" be a princess, to be pretty and be engaged with royal duties and not work outside the traditional role of royal princesses?

I wonder if there is a similar discussion in the Netherland about prince Constantijn as there is about Madeleine? Their situation is similar, both are the third child of a monarch and work abroad and doesn't participate in many royal engagements. Or is the discussion here and in Swedish papers because Madeleine is a female and therefore expected to "just" be a princess, to be pretty and be engaged with royal duties and not work outside the traditional role of royal princesses?

I think one thing which affects also that Madeleine is not married and she has no children, so people see that she should have time for royal duties.

in expressen today they are piscture of madeleine and sofia together

Meraude said:

I'm afraid you are right. There are indeed many people that wants Madeleine to just be a pretty "doll princess" and not a working "modern princess".

I think one thing which affects also that Madeleine is not married and she has no children, so people see that she should have time for royal duties.
But didn't the two younger Dutch princes (and princess Margriet's sons) live and work abroad and had few royal duties before their marriages? Or is it so that male junior royals are allowed to work outside the "royal sphere" while female junior royals are supposed to follow in the footsteps of what is considered as traditional female royal duties while unmarried?

Last edited:
Constantijn and Madeleine cannot be compared, he has held several "proper" jobs that had nothing to do with the royal house, earning his own living. He has been very independent in that sense (unlike Madeleine, working for her mother's foundation) and only very rarely doing royal engagemements.

Unlike Madeleine, neither Constantijn nor his brother Friso were ever looking to have the best out of both worlds.

Bertil Ternert has given a new version of Madeleine and apanage to Aftonbladet:
- The majority of the expenses she has is privately paid, he says.
- But when she is performing the official duties of Sweden, she is funded by the tradition from the apanage.
So the Princess gets still part of apanage now that she lives in New York?
- There may be additional costs for when she makes assignments in the U.S., says Ternert.
A year ago you said that she lived in the apanage when she was there.
- She had higher costs for her home then. But what exactly was the apanage or private, I can not speak about. Frankly, I do not know it.
The question now is which version is correct.
- Certainly, I know how things are. But since he (Ternert) has commented on this issue, I would like to check with him first, says superintendent Jan Lindman, who works with the royal family's finances.
- We will come back, he concluded, but he never did return to this issue.
Nya uppgifter: Madde lever både på privata pengar och apanage | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Why doesnt this man shut up once and for all??? With every statement he gives, he makes the situation worse and more confusing.

The court: Madeleine has no plans to leave the U.S.

Madeleine has lived in New York for two years - and wants to stay.
- She will continue to live and work in the U.S., says Bertil Ternert, court information officer.
Madeleine´s relationship with the American financier Chris O'Neill, has deepened. The couple have lived together since November. Now they have also decided to have a new home in an exclusive four-room apartment in one of Manhattan's finest addresses.
- Madeleine lives and works in the U.S. and currently there is no end date for it. At the same time the princess experiences that there is a strong criticism in Sweden when she returns here, says Ternert.

Madeleine works as Project Officer for the charity organization World Childhood Foundation. But alongside the princess has not represented Sweden very often - which has attracted criticism.
In 2012, Princess has so far implemented one official mission - giving her bottom position in the royal family.
- There will be more assignments. At the same time it must be remembered that all that the princess does in Childhood can not be included in the calendar for ethical reasons, says Bertil Ternert.
Bor kvar – på obestämd tid | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Last edited:
I have a feeling that the royal court dont know WTF Madeleine is actually doing and how she is getting her money.

Princess Madeleine Look Very Nice , She Look Elegant In Casual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom