The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
People would applaude her if she wasn't instead paid from the appanage of King, as confirmed by Mr. Terner. So de facto all Swedes are supporting charity, I think we have to applaud them and not Madde.
I think the problem lies in the perception that she doesn't "work", i.e. 9am - 5pm, 5 days a week.

Her work seems to be slotted between society lunches and jetset holidays. It is said she is taking over the job from her mother but the problem with that is the her mother never needed to be in NY and certainly didn't work 5 days a week on this charity.

According to it's webpage Childhood's governing body is located in Stockholm, which, if my geography is correct, is in Sweden. Madeleine is merely an honorary member of the Board of Directors of the American Board located in NYC. There are no news releases on the web regarding Madeliene's secondment to the board or indeed her function.

So the question remains, what does she do to justify being paid, handsomely (if the shopping and holidays are anything to go on), by the Swedish taxpayer?

Is she really is goint to take over her mother's position as Patron why are the conditions and terms of mentoring, etc. not in the public domain. Is she going to serve an apprenticeship on the board's of all the countries "Childhood" has offices?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
People would applaude her if she wasn't instead paid from the appanage of King, as confirmed by Mr. Terner. So de facto all Swedes are supporting charity, I think we have to applaud them and not Madde.
First: As I stated numerous times before, Madeleine doesn't need to work for the money her father already has worked for. It's just like you don't need to work for the money your father earns for the family (or has, because maybe now you're earning money yourself).

And second: Yes, the Swedes may be supporting the charity, but Madeleine is actually working to do charity. That's a big difference. It's just like always saying you're okay with organ donation or actually having an organ donor card. I don't want to make her a saint. I just want to clearify what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I think the problem lies in the perception that she doesn't "work", i.e. 9am - 5pm, 5 days a week.

Her work seems to be slotted between society lunches and jetset holidays. It is said she is taking over the job from her mother but the problem with that is the her mother never needed to be in NY and certainly didn't work 5 days a week on this charity.
First: She did exactly that last year as she said in an interview a few weeks ago.

And second: Madeleine has the time to work 5 days a week and has enough freedom to choose where to work for the WCF. Her mother didn't have that because in her job as Queen of Sweden she has many other responsibilities, too. She simply couldn't work 5 days a week for WCF. Madeleine can and it makes sense for her to not work in Stockholm but in a city of a country where WCF works hard to be more etablished in helping children this was also said by Madeleine in the aformentioned interview.

People shouldn't forget that she (just like her brother) is just an extra. A freebie so to speak. It's nice to have her on occasions but she (like CP) is not really needed for the monarchy to continue. For her (like CP) it's not a big problem to work abroad. Her parents just like Victoria and Daniel simply never had and never will have this kind of freedom because of their roles in the swedish monarchy.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Nobility

I am proud proud

"Appanage" originates from France where it was the word for the money that the king not first-born children received. The oldest son was always king, and to support the younger children had the money, land or other property. The king has chosen not to list their expenses appanage used to though apanaget is taxpayers' money. We may have opinions on this but it is in accordance with the Swedish Constitution. To say that Madeleine has appanage is wrong. The King and Crown Princess have their own appanage (which, of course, King has the highest). As long as there is a detailed redocisning over how apanaget used can not even press officer Ternert say, for example, Madeleine have appanage. If I as a parent chooses to feed my children, so must it be my business! Should my children also choose to work with charities, I would be proud parent.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Although it might be the King's money provided by the taxpayer, fact is that unlike most other 2nd or 3rd lines to the throne, Madeleine (and CF) live off taxpayers money granted by the King with only contributing between little and zero what might be ok according to constitution but is only likely to create controversy and polemic in times of economic downturn for most citizens.

Even though the procedure is correct, it is correct to critizise it and is likely to be changed when the King is gone, I am sure Victoria will have even less priviliges as her father. Its a sign of the times, people want to know what happens to their money and what they get in return, kind of a "republican monarchy".
Old 08-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
Although it might be the King's money provided by the taxpayer, fact is that unlike most other 2nd or 3rd lines to the throne, Madeleine (and CF) live off taxpayers money granted by the King with only contributing between little and zero what might be ok according to constitution but is only likely to create controversy and polemic in times of economic downturn for most citizens.

Even though the procedure is correct, it is correct to critizise it and is likely to be changed when the King is gone, I am sure Victoria will have even less priviliges as her father. Its a sign of the times, people want to know what happens to their money and what they get in return, kind of a "republican monarchy".
Well said.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006

First: As I stated numerous times before, Madeleine doesn't need to work for the money her father already has worked for. It's just like you don't need to work for the money your father earns for the family (or has, because maybe now you're earning money yourself).
gee my father would beg to differ, all his money and he still likes me to make my own .....

Yes when your a minor and incapable of producing an income you don't have to work for you parents money but when you're a capable adult regardless of your parents money you should try and work (if even for a sense of pride or accomplishment) otherwise the perception can be one of laziness or mooching.....

But forget money how about a sense of duty to Sweden. She was born to a role that requires duty and she doesn't appear to be doing much, as the saying goes ''to whom much is given, much is expected''
Old 08-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ

Well said.....

gee my father would beg to differ, all his money and he still likes me to make my own .....

Yes when your a minor and incapable of producing an income you don't have to work for you parents money but when you're a capable adult regardless of your parents money you should try and work (if even for a sense of pride or accomplishment) otherwise the perception can be one of laziness or mooching.....

But forget money how about a sense of duty to Sweden. She was born to a role that requires duty and she doesn't appear to be doing much, as the saying goes ''to whom much is given, much is expected''
Completely agree with everything above.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Courtier

Great posts MRSJ and Duke of Marmalade, completly agree with you both.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Nobility

King Carl Gustav "owns" this issue at the moment

Now of course this is an issue for Sweden and the Swedes. I may have views on how certain things are done in other countries, monarchies and republics, but there is a point of honor not to comment on how other countries handle their rule. There are obviously a right for TRF members to speculate.

However; how the issue is developed in the future is a matter for the Swedes and the Swedish Parlament. At present, it is His Majesty the King who owns the issue and until it is otherwise, it feels that further reply is not very meaningful and I will not make any comparisons with other democracies rules and costs.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Aristocracy

now with her sister pregnant and a new little one coming soon, i think this whole discussion about her work or lack of work will kinda go away,

the spotlight will now be on her sister and the new little prince or princess, i dont wanna say she will be forgotten or ignored but she will not be as relevant.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Nobility

Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doric44 View Post
now with her sister pregnant and a new little one coming soon, i think this whole discussion about her work or lack of work will kinda go away,

the spotlight will now be on her sister and the new little prince or princess, i dont wanna say she will be forgotten or ignored but she will not be as relevant.
Madeleine will be moved from third to fourth place in the succession when Crown Princess Victoria gives birth to her and Prince Daniel's first-born child. I agree that attention then even more will be to the Crown Princess and her family.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
People don't think the job at WCF is paid? People have to applaude her then for working hard there all year around and not even getting paid. Very generous of her.
I was not having ago at Madeleine for her unpaid position at the charity, yes I believe she is working hard. I was just pointing out that some people feel there is an issue, as I stated in my previous post, because she has never had any form of paid work and receives an appanage from the king. Though it is the king's business how he allocates his allowance he receives from the state.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen: Madeleine meets Jonas for the first time after separation. "She refuses to forgive"
Expressen
It seems that there are photos at the paper version of Expressen.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Serene Highness

Today Madeleine attented a wedding in Sweden with her boyfriend, chris. She was one of the maid of honour.
Jonas was there too with his girlfriend, Madeleine's ex friend.

Google Traduction

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Old 08-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Madeleine, Chris, Jonas, Stephanie af Klercker and Emma Pernald were at the wedding of Natalie Rosta and Dag Werner.
Jonas forgot to shave, Stephanie looks odd. Chris doesn´t look good, but he never has and never will. What is with this man, he looks at least 10 years older than his alleged age, 37 years. Emma looks like she sees the funny part of these people meeting today.
I don´t like the dresses of the bride and bridesmaids.
More photos:
http://kungligamodebloggen.svenskdam...8/B95Q9473.jpg
http://kungligamodebloggen.svenskdam...B95Q9397-2.jpg
http://kungligamodebloggen.svenskdam...8/1Y0I8588.jpg
http://kungligamodebloggen.svenskdam...8/B95Q9631.jpg
Old 08-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Emma looks fried. Jonas looks like he just woke up. I bet the tension was so thick at that wedding you could it with a knife.

Is there a pic of Chris?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Emma looks fried. Jonas looks like he just woke up. I bet the tension was so thick at that wedding you could it with a knife.

Is there a pic of Chris?
Chris is in the first photo of my last post, this
http://kungligamodebloggen.svenskdam.se/files/2011/08/B95Q9473.jpg
Old 08-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Chris is in the first photo of my last post.
Why is that every single time I see Chris he looks different? Every time, I can never recognise him. It's un real.

Madeleine is going down, down and further down.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn

Chris is in the first photo of my last post, this
http://kungligamodebloggen.svenskdam...8/B95Q9473.jpg
Thanks!
I saw that pic but he looked so um altered that I didn't even recognize him!! He looks like a 50 year old bum. What bad taste. Madeleine can do so much better.

Wonder what Jonas thought of Chris...
Old 08-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Chris looks like the investment banker type living the life on the fast line: busy & important worklife (those guys who make the money are so important arent they?), lots of drink & smoke after work, not much sleep, flying back in forth between US & Europe therefore admired by his NY buddys because its so cool to date a Scandinavian Princess. I never liked Jonas but compared to sleazy Chris he was a real charmer.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

More photos:
hochzeit-von-natalie-rostas-und-dag-werners-in-gottrraprinzessin-madeleine-und-818174 - Foto's, pers en stockbeelden, Videos - Photos de presse, banque d'images et Vidéos : Isopix.be

IBL Bildbyrå

Closed Thread