The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Oh please, this is an opinion board, everybody has a right to say what they like (within reason, of course, no profanity), no matter whence they originated from.

And on that score, Madeline doesn't fool me, she's just another rich spoiled *girl*, one that doesn't impress me whatsoever.

Thank you! Some people on here have nerve talking about "mind your own business". Please. This whole board is about discussion and stating opinions, so if someone feel we should "mind our own business", why are they on here in the first place?

Back to Madeleine - we all know darn well that she lives off the Swedish taxpayers money. It may not be directly, but it's obvious that from the allowance that the King is given that he gives her money to pay for all her expenses. If she doesn't work, how else is she getting money? And IMO, that's not right considering she does practically nothing to represent her country - heck, she lives in the US now!

My biggest issue is that neither her or her brother Carl Philip are deserving of their titles if they don't do anything but play all the time. What do they do to benefit their country? They don't do much charity work (showing up at the occasional ribbon cutting ceremony doesn't count), they don't serve in their armed forces, etc, so why do they deserve their royal titles still? And this goes for any royal for any royal family who does not contribute much to their country. In my eyes, having a royal title and being part of a royal family is a great opportunity to be the "voice" for so many people who don't have one and to make a difference in society. So if they're just going to do nothing, why should they get to keep their title?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Can we please get back on track - this thread is about Madeleine. Yes, her parents can be brought into this discussion, but the King and Victoria succeeding the throne are slowly taking over here. The merits of the King can be discussed in his own thread.

Thanks!
JessRulz
Swedish Mod

Old 05-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDial View Post
My biggest issue is that neither her or her brother Carl Philip are deserving of their titles if they don't do anything but play all the time. What do they do to benefit their country? They don't do much charity work (showing up at the occasional ribbon cutting ceremony doesn't count), they don't serve in their armed forces, etc, so why do they deserve their royal titles still? And this goes for any royal for any royal family who does not contribute much to their country. In my eyes, having a royal title and being part of a royal family is a great opportunity to be the "voice" for so many people who don't have one and to make a difference in society. So if they're just going to do nothing, why should they get to keep their title?
The beauty of Royalty is they don't have to do anything to deserve their titles. Whether people like it or not, they were born into this life, not voted into it.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
The beauty of Royalty is they don't have to do anything to deserve their titles. Whether people like it or not, they were born into this life, not voted into it.
Maybe in the past this was the case, but we're living in a day where a lot of people consider monarchies out-of-date and a lot of people don't like supporting a family to live extravagant lifestyles while they struggle to get by. So I disagree that they don't have to do anything to deserve their titles. If that's they case, why have so many monarchies been abolished over the last 50 years? My guess is citizens were finding their royals useless because they did nothing worthwhile.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:56 PM
Aristocracy

Princess Madeleine maybe titled, maybe royal. Has gone through public embarassment of being cheated on and has more or less her entire life had her private life thrown to media for this or that, whether it be true or not. But she is still also a person, a human being, someone with feelings, someone despite perhaps questionable responsibilities, none of really know how we would feel to grow up with your every move scrutinzed. Sure its all talk, "If I was her, I would, etc." But we are not Madeleine, we cannot speak for how she feels, what she will do next. But in the end I still see someone, royal or not she at very least deserves privacy like everyone else and the respect of being treated as anyone else here would its just simply sad we all bicker about our feelings if we be Swedish or American, Australian whatever. Madeleine is still someone who deserve to be left to sort out her own issues, her own life. She was born a princess, but I believe she is more than that. She isn't stupid, she isn't clueless, she isn't heartless and she certainly does not in my opinion come off as solely spoiled brat she is 28 years old not 16. Above anything she needs to be respected for who she is, not what she is.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Courtier

Yes, she was cheated on and yes, her private life is/was/will be all over the media. But she isn't the only one all of the royals, as much as they try to shelter their private life, have it all over the media and most of them seem to cope with it just fine. These days it's a price you have to pay for being born with certain status, whether you like or not.
No she isn't stupid and she isn't heartless, that's what's makes the way she behaves even more sad. She seems to be interested in the issues of unprivileged children. I think there is so much she could do in this field also home in Sweden, there's no need for her to stay just in US, working for mom's charity. She could do the same from Sweden, with occasional trips to US, while also working with swedish organizations in this field. I bet then no one will complain about her being spoiled and living on appanage abroad, while doing virtualy nothing for Swedish taxpayers.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Commoner

Remember when Victoria was having trouble coping with the media attention, she came to the U.S. and stayed 21/2 years, during which she did nothing to promote Sweden either. I think Madeleine will return when she feels strong enough. In the meantime, maybe a little sympathy and not so much acrimony might be in order.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

i don't think Madeleine's continued stay in the US has anything to do with her and Jonas' break-up any longer. She is working there and as any other person she has also made her personal life there. What would she do in Sweden? We are the size of California with less people than Los Angeles county. How many royals can you keep busy. She would have to find other work to keep her busy and imagine the papparazzi. If she took a paying job then that would be an issue too. I hope she is having a good life in NY and the work that the World Childhood does can never be wasted.

Before the royal children were grown up the only active royal were the King, Queen and to some extent Lilian and Christina. Now we have a very busy, capable and engaged crown-princess couple.

I am expecting her to one day take over her mother's role in the organization and by working at its headquarter she is doing what she should be doing to get ready for that role.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Aristocracy

The difference between when Victoria was in the US and Madeleine now being here was that Victoria didn't just come here to do her own thing, she came here shorty after her struggles with an eating disorder so she legitimately needed to get away. Not only that but she was also taking classes at a school in the US (I don't remember which one) and also at 21/22 is when most people are in college still and have more freedom and less responsibilities. Madeleine other hand isn't suffering from any actually illness, isn't going to school, and will be 29 soon. I not bothered by her having the title HRH princess, it doesn't really necessarily need to be taken away. What I do see troubling is that she is treated as if shes a working member of the family and being supported by the taxpayers with out actually doing anything to earn it.

The idea that Sweden is too small of a country for either her or brother to do anything is ridicules, Denmark is half the size of Sweden and Joachim and Marie are able to find things to do. Since they don't do as much as Frederik and Mary they have a small part of the funds, but there is not debate about their role is because it's clearly defined. But in a country with twice as large in Denmark they can't manage to find enough work to employ the same amount of people?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Commoner

The woman who heads the World Childhood Foundation defended Madeleine by stating that much of their work with troubled youth is done without the press present because these young people do not want their stories out there. She also stated that Madeleine is learning the organization from the bottom up, doing a great deal of administrative work.

I don't think there is any doubt that Madeleine will assume her mother's role when the Queen decides to retire. We don't know all that Madeleine may be doing behind the scenes.

Also, the king decides who will represent Sweden both at home and abroad. If he wanted Madeleine and CP to do more, he would see that they were assigned more official duties.

He has always ruled his children with an iron will--look at how long he withheld permission for Victoria to marry--if he decides Madeleine needs to be back in Sweden, I suspect she would be back.

Right now, I think he and the queen both are satisfied that Madeleine is where she needs to be and doing what they want her to do at this time.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwesterngrad View Post
Remember when Victoria was having trouble coping with the media attention, she came to the U.S. and stayed 21/2 years, during which she did nothing to promote Sweden either. I think Madeleine will return when she feels strong enough. In the meantime, maybe a little sympathy and not so much acrimony might be in order.
The situation Victoria was in and Madeleine is now is completly different. Victoria was there in her very early 20's, studying at Yale University, later working as intern at Swedish Embasy, receiving treatment for anorexia, when she was fairly well she started to work again, engagements on swedish behalf and also state visits with her parents. If she was not in US, she would have studied at Uppsala University, so her amount of work would be about the same. I don't think you can say that she did nothing to promote Sweden at that period.
I did understand why Madeleine was in US for the first months, it's not easy to be cheated on when you're a normal person and it's even harder when you're a public one and everyone knows. But she's moved on, already a long time ago, she has new love and Jonas is just a history. I don't see why I should have any sympathy for her right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
If she took a paying job then that would be an issue too.
I don't think so. There's no issue in Netherlands, Norway or Spain. I don't think there would be an issue with this in Sweden, at some point she'd be required to do it anyway.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Nobility

Leaving all the issues aside over her title, shopping trips and living off taxpayers money etc, Madeleine maybe working very hard at the charity in New York.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow123 View Post
Leaving all the issues aside over her title, shopping trips and living off taxpayers money etc, Madeleine maybe working very hard at the charity in New York.
I think Madeleine is working much harder than people think. And she has not been seen partying in clubs nearly so much. She seems to be settling down to a quieter life in New York with her work and her new boyfriend. That can't be all bad.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwesterngrad

I think Madeleine is working much harder than people think. And she has not been seen partying in clubs nearly so much. She seems to be settling down to a quieter life in New York with her work and her new boyfriend. That can't be all bad.

IMO, what HRH the Princess Madeleine of Sweden does in her personal life is her own business, and therefore, should not be up for discussion.
Her life and duties a HRH Princess of Sweden are between her and the current monarch of Sweden, who just so happens to be her father, and the Swedish people.
IMO, this situation about Madeleine has been 'beat to death.' People discussing this on this forum are now grasping at straws to discuss this subject even further. Basically, there is really nothing more to discuss on this particular subject.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
IMO, what HRH the Princess Madeleine of Sweden does in her personal life is her own business, and therefore, should not be up for discussion.
Her life and duties a HRH Princess of Sweden are between her and the current monarch of Sweden, who just so happens to be her father, and the Swedish people.
IMO, this situation about Madeleine has been 'beat to death.' People discussing this on this forum are now grasping at straws to discuss this subject even further. Basically, there is really nothing more to discuss on this particular subject.
My point all along is that this is really a matter that doesn't involve the people in the United States. I keep looking for comments from Swedes on this issue, but it seems to be the Americans who are the most upset. I don't get it. We are not paying for Madeleine's upkeep. Why should it matter to us one way or the other?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwesterngrad View Post
My point all along is that this is really a matter that doesn't involve the people in the United States. I keep looking for comments from Swedes on this issue, but it seems to be the Americans who are the most upset. I don't get it. We are not paying for Madeleine's upkeep. Why should it matter to us one way or the other?
If you want to know the opinions of Swedes regarding Madeleine's work ethics go and read discussions under the articles in Svensk Damtidning or similar sites, I can tell you they are not positive.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva
If you want to know the opinions of Swedes regarding Madeleine's work ethics go and read discussions under the articles in Svensk Damtidning or similar sites, I can tell you they are not positive.

I can definitely understand their frustrations resulting from PM actions, or lack there of, as of late. Again, I hope for the best outcome for all involved in the complexities and intricate details of this particular situation.
No matter the potential outcomes for PM, there will be at least one that will hold true. She will be wealthy no matter the outcome of this situation. Anyway, what would be her motive her to find a real job?
Old 06-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Anyway, what would be her motive her to find a real job?
If Madeleine receives her money from her father, who receives it from the public, what will happen when her father is no longer King? Victoria will likely have children of her own to worry about by the time she becomes Queen- it seems unlikely that she will continue supporting her brother and sister, at least to the extent the King apparently does. Does the King have sufficient private wealth to leave to his younger children to allow them to continue living as they are now? It seems like it would be wise for Carl Philip and Madeleine to develop careers and/or independent sources of income for the future...
Old 06-04-2011, 03:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve2Eden

If Madeleine receives her money from her father, who receives it from the public, what will happen when her father is no longer King? Victoria will likely have children of her own to worry about by the time she becomes Queen- it seems unlikely that she will continue supporting her brother and sister, at least to the extent the King apparently does. Does the King have sufficient private wealth to leave to his younger children to allow them to continue living as they are now? It seems like it would be wise for Carl Philip and Madeleine to develop careers and/or independent sources of income for the future...
The King set up trust funds for all his children when they were young and has added to them. I think they will have enough to live comfortably on without working. Though there's more to work than just the money, of course.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

From the interview of Bertil Ternert, the Director of the Information and Press Department of the swedish court:

How does Madeleine pay her living in New York?
- She does not acknowledge any salary from it (Childhood Foundation). She is also a person who gets a part of the apanage. Then you should know that my salary is also paid from the apanage.
Does Madeleine live to 100 percent with athe apanage?
- I do not know if she has any compensation otherwise.

"Hon har en del av apanaget" | Newzglobe.com

Madeleine was spotted shopping in New York:
Prinsessa Madeleine shoppaili New Yorkissa | Viihde | Iltalehti.fi

Madeleine will be with the royal family at the National Day celebrations on Monday evening, if all at her travelling goes as planned.
Madeleine kommer till Skansen - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Google Translate

Closed Thread