Princess Madeleine, Current Events Part 7: February 2008 - May 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, she going on with life no problem. Miami is a great place to live life, she can tan to her hearts content. The problem isn't that shes isn't going on with life, but that shes going in the wrong direction. She isn't working, they have called off all her engagements, for a 2nd time (which makes the 1st time seem less about being so heart broken that she just couldn't carry on... and more about her not wanting to work) and acting like a child and not an adult. Instead of the next few weeks being devoted to and building up to the wedding, the attention is split with what shes doing, wheres shes vacation with week. What annoys me the most, is not like she was set to work 24-7 for next 3 weeks, she could have very easily used the down time between her duties to have her fun.

Now no matter what she does, she will be drawing attention away, they will continue to write what shes doing post break up all the way up the the wedding, and how shes for a second time canceled all her appoints leaving others to pick up the slack. When the pre-wedding events they focus wont just be on the couple, but also on how she bailed and decide that she for what ever reason just couldn't bring her self to occur, with updates on her vacation. Being royatly has the downside of the press in their personal life, but it has its perks as well, but you have to make sacrifices or there is no reason to keep them around. This reflects badly on the whole family letting her do this.

According to Aftonbladet, Madeleine has cancelled all her duties because she got new information about Jonas Bergström. Therefore she left Sweden once again. Royal Court offers no explanation for Madeleine's absence. Nina Eldh told Aftonbladet:
- Princess Madeleine needs private time now, and she cancells all her public duties to the crown princess's wedding.
According to Aftonbladet the princess is worried that further details of the breakup with Bergström will leak out.
Hovet: Madeleine behöver privat tid efter brytningen med Jonas Bergström | Bröllopet | Aftonbladet
If there is bad news regarding Jonas Bergström, I think that it will leak to the press anyway. And Madeleine should also know that, she can´t hide from the publicity forever.

Expressen writes that Madeleine wants to move out from Sweden in the autumn.
Madde flyttar från Sverige - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Google Translator

I really hope Madeleine will think about her decision once again: not being around when your sister is having the happiest time in her life and celebrates her pre-wedding events is really poor. If I were Victoria I'd be really disappointed. I understand that she's heartbroken and I think it is okay that all her events have been cancelled until the wedding of Victoria and Daniel. I think it is also ok if she goes to Miami to blow away the cobwebs; but still there is no excuse to miss the pre-wedding events.

She wants to leave Sweden in autumn? Forever or just for a shorter period? :eek: How long will she hide from the press now? I think this would be rediculous. She needs find a better way to continue living her life.

I'm sorry but to cancel all her public duties because of a broken off engagement is childish. Yes she is heart broken, yes i grant she will be upset. But she needs to move on, she has a role to fulfill and atm she isn't doing anything.

I am really surprised by Madeleine's decision to stay away from her sister's pre-wedding events. :ermm: Of course she's free to do what she thinks is right; but imo this is respectless towards her sister. Princess Victoria travelled to the United States to undertake Madeleine's engagements when she was in need of help; and now Madeleine won't be around when Victoria celebrates her wedding events? :ohmy:I understand that she needs time for herself; anyway: how often does your older sister get married? ... well, let's hope she won't stay away from the wedding itself...

Last edited:
Have you never been heartbroken? Have you never had a relationship ending badly? If the answer to both these questions are "no" you can call yourself lucky.

Yes I have had these things happen to me and I am well aware that it isn't easy but I still had to sit exams and go to work. I couldnt afford to fly off to Miami. And if my sister needed me with her to get ready for my wedding I certainly would have been by her side. Maybe its just me but I wouldn't hvae been quite so understanding as Victoria is she is indeed ok with the situation

She has the right to go on holiday when she wants, but to miss her sisters pre-wedding events is ridiculous.

I believe this could easily turn against her in the future if she is not more careful. Right now she is not only to miss her sister's pre wedding events (which mean she would make a rather grand entrance in the wedding), but she is officially off duty for the second time in a short time. That can result to very serious critisicm in the press if she keeps behaving like that, and people might start discussing if it is really neccessary for the 3rd in line to the throne to perform duties at allif she seems she isn't really up to. I don't know, maybe I am wrong , I don't know Swedes and how they think after all, but I can't not stop thinking about this possibility.

she should stop acting so spoilt. women all over the world deal with heart- wrenching breakups, and show upto work. How much work does a princess have to do anyway? and she cant even so THAT.

I disagree.

Yes there are people who deal with broken engagements and/or marriages in teh pubilc eye...but goodness it just happened a couple of weeks ago.

Give the girl time to mourn the death of the relationship. I am sure she didn't want to be stared at every event and appear in newspapers with titles such as Madeline Alone, Poor Maddy! and things like that. For example, you can look at Sandra Bullock, Princess Diana, Cheryl Cole etc.

Plus you are goiing to a wedding that is not yours and you are thinking about what could have been, and the constant stares of people like you are object on display.

Now if this continues past teh wedding for the remaineder of the summer into the fall. Thats a problem.

I'm sorry but to me this all reeks of a spoiled child who did not get what she wanted and needs to be centre of attention. Madeline needs to either follow her aunties route and disappear and basically become a commoner or buck up. I don't care how heartbroken you are, if your only sister is getting married, you are there for her! One can stop thinking about themselves for just a few days and still survive, Mado. This makes upsets me on Victoria's half, she has had a lot of unnecessary drama around her wedding simply because the people around her can only think of themselves.

But Zonk, not turning up to support your sister at pre-wedding events is a bit OTT, do you not think?

A friend of mine has a great expression for situations like this (and I agree with her)... and yes, I've been situations where I have to do just this...

"put on your big girl panties and deal with it!"

I agree with everyone who thinks this is childish. Many people go through infidelity and break-ups. But they still move on with their lives. This makes me disappointed in Madeleine because she's putting herself first and not looking at the situation as a whole. Ok I get it, her hearts broken. But almost everyone at some time or another got their heart broken too! All almost everyone did not go on vacation to heal their hurts. They still had to show face and deal with it. Now they're saying she wants to move? This is silly and selfish. Madeleine doesn't realize the persona she is putting forth by doing this. She is going to come off as childish and selfish, not as someone who was hurt by infidelity. Like I said earlier, if my sister needs me, then in the words of Michael Jackson "I'll Be There". I hope she will be there for Victoria. This is Victoria's time to shine, not Madeleines, so she really needs to be a big girl and get over it.

She's young, she's beautiful, there's alot more fish in the sea. This is not the end for her. There's much more men out there, better men than Jonas. I may be the only one who felt this way, but I thought it was selfish of her to get engaged a few months after her sister was engaged. I certainly hope there's no competition between the two. The King and Queen should think for Madeleine and make her attend these festivities. Or the focus will not be on Victoria.

My advice to Madeleine:

1)Quit being a spoiled brat.
2)Time heals all wounds. One has to face the situation to deal with it. You no matter how far she runs, she'll still be hurting. It'll definitely hurt, but face it and deal with it.

If one wants to put a stop to all the publicity, then you go about your everyday life and activities as normal. The press will have nothing to grab on to, to make a mountain out of a mole hill about. They may chew at the crumbs, but they won't have anything of substance to throw out. They will get bored having nothing to talk about, and the attention will go back to Victoria where it belongs. Yes Madeleine needs some time away to adjust, but she knew the breakup was coming. To run away at a time when her sister needs her smacks of selfishness and a lack of maturity. This is exactly what the press needs to keep the controversy going. Suck it up, be there for Victoria, and show that you are a big girl. People are carrying on as if Madeleine will never be able to attend a wedding again for the rest of her life. She's not on the shelf forever, nor are her chances of having a healthy relationship in the future ruined. She will find another man to make her happy. It's time to pack Jonas up and stuff him in the attic, then carry on. This is a very important time for the SRF and it is important that the WHOLE family participate.

I'm sorry but to me this all reeks of a spoiled child who did not get what she wanted and needs to be centre of attention. Madeline needs to either follow her aunties route and disappear and basically become a commoner or buck up. I don't care how heartbroken you are, if your only sister is getting married, you are there for her! One can stop thinking about themselves for just a few days and still survive, Mado. This makes upsets me on Victoria's half, she has had a lot of unnecessary drama around her wedding simply because the people around her can only think of themselves.

I agree completely, if she doesn't want to work she should become like her aunties, like Martha Louise gave up her HRH (at least in norway), and how her aunts lost there's (of course that was for a different reason). The family doesn't need dead weight when there seems to be such a a growing number of those who want to remove the monarch. This isn't going to make it any better seeing how out of the only three in line, only one seems to work full time, (CP doesn't seem to do as many duties as he should, but at least he doesn't cancel them).

I'm sorry, Madeleine is acting like a baby. Her engagement ended. That sucks and I'm sure it hurts. But it's her sister, for cryin' out loud. Not a friend, not a distant relative....her sister. You suck it up and put on your big girl panties (my sister uses that phrase too!) and move on with your life.

I can't believe she's acting like this. I hope Victoria rips her a new one.

Looks like she'll be missing Sweden's National Day too.

Everyone handles break ups differently so who are we to speak about her getting over it? Has anyone on this forum been publicly humiliated to the world? Your fiancee cheated on you...and its on every newstand? Its one thing for you to know its quite another for everyone to know it.

Is anyone privy to the conversations that Madeline had with Victoria? I am sure Victoria is disappointed but this is about her, and frankly if Madeline doesn't show up it says more about her than anything, and Victoria has other things on her mind.

Likewise, June 19th is three weeks away...who knows how Madeline will feel. She might turn up after all.

I don't understand why its selfish?

Are two siblings from the same family not allowed to get engage at the same time?

I don't understand why its selfish?

Are two siblings from the same family not allowed to get engage at the same time?
Tja, the engagements and weddings of normal siblings don´t get compared on every newsstand ;)

However, with that, what we know today, I guess everyone would agree, it would have been a lot wiser, if Madeleine wouldn´t have gotten engaged barely 2 months after a crisis.

Getting engaged after the crisis is a cry for help really.

Let me prove to you that despite the fact I cheated (allegedly) I want to marry you. Its like having a baby when your marriage is in trouble.

I know. But thankfully not all people on this planet practice it.
Especially the method with the baby is very questionable.

I think we should not be too hard on Madeleine. After all she is in the public light and we can't know how she can handle things, plus we don't know all details of the crisis. They said she got more information about Jonas and therefore left. When you are really down you don't want people to get on your nerves with it permanently, and definately you don't want to act like "shiny happy people" the weeks before Victorias wedding. I think she would not serve her sister while just running around crying. A wedding is hard to face when your heart is broken.
So, I think it is somehow ok that she takes time out. Perhaps she is doing it FOR her sister, not to spread so much sad energy around her while this is the most happy time of her life.
What bothers me though is that Queen Silvia steps in for her duties (like on Monday). She really has a lot to do with the wedding, while dear Princy Carl Philip has nothing to do but CAR-RACING for his own fun again over the weekend (again - see GTchallenge). I think he should step in for Medeleines royal duties, not all but at least some. He is not much involved with wedding preperation.
He could really go on Monday, but he is probably too busy with his hobby and his Sofia-girl. I can imagine that his family have a lot to do with all the stress and preperation. Fantastic for him, so he has even more time to bring his new girlfriend to the races ??? I think this is not ok.
That is very shameful in my opinion. Seems he really just cares about himself.

PixieDust, this is not the right thread for CP-bashing. You made it perfectly clear what you think of him and Sofia in the other thread a few days ago so stop it, okay? You're starting to sound like a little girl that doesn't get her candy.

This is a case where the Swedes could learn from the Brits. As the ol' dear Queen Mum used to say, "Keep the old flag flying!" The royal family cannot afford anymore hiccups in Sweden, the recent statistics are frightening with how much support has dropped, especially during a royal wedding. Mado has been a royal all her life so she should understand that duty and family come first, I can understand a certain amount of time off but pushing your family away is just wrong.

I agree that Madeleine's behavior is childish, selfish, and spoiled. However, I can see how it would be very tempting for any one of us on this board, if we had the money and lack of responsibilities she has, to do what she's doing. A lot of us were stressing how we would have to go back to work, wouldn't have a choice, etc. But Maddy does have a choice, and I have to admit that the running off to Florida for weeks on end and ignoring painful family events has to be really tempting and really easy.

What's most striking to me here is the difference between her selfish behavior and the extraordinarily selfless behavior of many other royals in the past. (Which perhaps is a larger contrast between the older and younger generations, but I digress.) For instance:
Princess Margaret of Britain is denied marriage to the man she loves because of her royal status and his divorce (which looks silly and frivolous today). Rather than turn away from her royal status and duty and marry him anyway (like her uncle Edward VIII), she obeys the Church's order and continues to work for Britain. She realizes Britain and the Church of England matter more than she does. (What would Maddy do?)
Princess Astrid of Norway falls seriously ill shortly after her father's coronation, but as the only woman in the royal house after her mother's death and her older sister’s departure for Brazil, she’s First Lady of Norway with tons of hostess and travel duties. The easy thing to do would be to complain that she’s sick and avoid doing anything that isn’t absolutely necessary, yet she continues working her rear end off for the royal house in spite of chronic illness. She realizes Norway matters more than she does. (What would Maddy do?)
Queen Anne-Marie of Greece likely discovers, after having three children and getting kicked out of Greece and sent into exile in Rome, that her husband is not exactly the most faithful of the European royals. She could just leave – it’s not like they’re still on the throne – but her only comment about her family at all has been that she wanted to give a “stable home” to her children. She realizes her children matter more than she does. (What would Maddy do?)
Queen Sofia of Spain likely had a similar situation.
Then-Crown Prince Harald of Norway wants to marry a commoner. He could do this whenever he wants, really, if he’s willing to waive his rights to the throne and leave the monarchy without an heir, but he’s not and therefore he waits 9 long years to have Sonja. He realizes the Norwegian monarchy matters more than he does. (What would Maddy do?)

I could go on. But in light of all that in her extended family, Madeleine, who can’t muster the strength to attend her sister’s pre-wedding events, looks a little pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom