The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
well, I surely hope that she will make use of the palace cook these days. A regent who has to cook her own meals ruins much of the glamour that one invisions with such a task
Anyway, this regency-thing seems to be somewhat archaic. I am sure it served its use in the old days, when communicating and travelling took much more time but these days ...?
yes, but when the King is out of town and something happens, it'll still be a while before he returns. Someone must take care of business, even if it is only relaying the king's orders.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Serene Highness

Yikes a bit of a negative opinion of Sweden's royals I've been reading in these posts. Worrying about palace cooks and saying that they "do nothing". Granted I live in a republic and I'm not in the know about the daily tasks of being a royal but I seriously doubt the Swedish royals do nothing. However, I do believe that when the king is away that there are enough aides and other skilled govt. people so that pretty little Madeleine doesn't have to worry. She probably does just keep to her normal tasks when she's been left alone like this.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt
yes, but when the King is out of town and something happens, it'll still be a while before he returns. Someone must take care of business, even if it is only relaying the king's orders.
Hm...but I´m always wondering, what case that would be (???)
The Royal family has no political power, so they wouldn´t give orders for evacuation or would send airplanes or whatever.
And a little speech (or even videos) one could also send via Email these days and within 24h, you could fly home from all over the world and that´s still more than enough time to react, to show up etc.
Maybe things would be different, if the Royal family would have politicial power or if Sweden would be a country of war. But neither the first, nor the second thing is the case. And together with modern communication this does mean, that it´s only some kind of leftover from older times.
Some ppl still find this very charming and are very impressed by the idea of young twens being some kind of "mini king/queen" Personally I´m not so much a fan of it, as it is something, that is lacking of logics and IMO one should keep other traditions and not just the nice easy things, one is profiting of. But oh well...as long as the Swedes are happy with it and can accept all the other little strange things...
Old 03-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

King Carl Gustaf is still head of state in Sweden no matter where he is. Yes his powers are limited and ceremonial. But anything could occur in Sweden or in another country too(remember the Tsunami I precisely remember CP Victoria being criticized for not getting home faster and in Norway CP Haakon made a statement that he should have been home instead of being away from Norway).I think even though a lot of a royal's power isn't exactly anything to do with government they still have jobs and influence on getting aid to countries in need and helping out their own fellow citizens.

I guess I object to the fact that it's being implied, that if something were to happen that no one would give a thought about where the king is or who is regent. I don't know I'm not in Sweden but I think they would still look to the king or regent for some comfort. But I do agree that for anything too serious the prime minister is there to handle most everything but I think the Swedes would still look to their king for comfort. I know when Sept. 11 happened I wanted to hear and see Pres. Bush. There was talk he was being taken to a bunker and man would that have been a mistake b/c the American public needed comfort and we weren't looking to him as a political leader at that very moment but as a calm reassuring head of state. My main point: a president is a head of state but so is a king or queen. I just cringe at how Sweden's royals are being made out to be not all that important. (in this thread and I've read hints of the same thing over in Victoria's thread as well)
Old 03-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810
King Carl Gustaf is still head of state in Sweden no matter where he is. Yes his powers are limited and ceremonial. But anything could occur in Sweden or in another country too(remember the Tsunami I precisely remember CP Victoria being criticized for not getting home faster and in Norway CP Haakon made a statement that he should have been home instead of being off where ever he was when the tsunami happened. I think even though a lot of a royal's power isn't exactly anything to do with government they still have jobs and influence on getting aid to countries in need and helping out their own fellow citizens.

I guess I object to the fact that it's being implied, that if something were to happen that no one would give a thought about where the king is or who is regent. I don't know I'm not in Sweden but I think they would still look to the king or regent for some comfort. But I do agree that for anything too serious the prime minister is there to handle most everything but I think the Swedes would still look to their king for comfort. I know when Sept. 11 happened I wanted to hear and see Pres. Bush. There was talk he was being taken to a bunker and man would that have been a mistake b/c the American public needed comfort and we weren't looking to him as a political leader at that very moment but as a calm reassuring head of state. My main point: a president is a head of state but so is a king or queen. I just cringe at how Sweden's royals are being made out to be not all that important.
But as you are naming the Tsunami...this was a case about goodwill and not geographical distance!
It took Victoria a whole week to come home (and in fact, she would have come home anyway, because Olle Westling, Daniel´s father celebrated his 60th bday 2 days later...) She had then the luck, that ppl even praised her for stopping her vacation
Ppl of the government, esp the minister for foreign affairs have been in Sthlm even, but didn´t react fast enough and didn´t send planes to get Swedes home. In this very short period the king didn´t really react either (and he hadn´t to!)...but his part (TV appearances, meeting ppl at the airport) was done soon enough. At least it felt for the press and the ppl soon enough. The government had to get much more started at an early point and had to fight with many victims in relation to a small population (my country has nearly the same population and we had much less victims) and the king "just" had to comfort AFTER the first shock.
Well, I don´t wanna judge the work of the government better, than it was back then. Sweden clearly wasn´t prepared for such a crisis, but surely it should have...but as many maybe remember, it took for every watcher in front of the TV some time to "get" the amount of damage.
And this is for me the point, why I´m thinking, that this regent thing is quite obsolete these times. You can sit in the most middle point of Stockholm (and that was the case for the Swedish minister for foreign affairs!) and though it´s possible, that you don´t get the danger of a situation and you can sit in Tokyo and with the help of good advisors and some knowledge and a lot of luck, it can be, that you are getting things...then you can rush home with the next plane and everyone would be impressed by your action (probably even more, as if you would have been in the country)
If you are smart, surrounded of a good team and interested, then you don´t need a regent, because then you would be home faster than any PM could react

And about the importance (I guess with the Victoria thread and hints, you are meaning me...because I´m actually the only blasphemer here )...I can see, what a symbolic value a head of state has...not all ppl are always searching for the background and lower motives as I´m doing...and for them a president or king can mean a lot. So don´t listen to my wish-wash...the world doesn´t consist out of Lenas
But what I´m truly and really for, is explaining to ppl, that this regent thing is in Sweden pretty much "blah" and since there are countries, where being the regent has even a meaning, I´m getting a bit annoyed by ppl, who are thinking Madeleine is now doing a great thing. And obviously ppl are thinking that, otherwise Marengo, who has a hell of knowledge about Royals wouldn´t have asked, what it is meaning for Sweden. Obviously he is also knowing different models. And if already pros like Marengo are asking, one can only imagine, what ppl would ask/think, who haven´t much of a clue of Royalty. And then these myths a la "Madeleine is such a hard worker" are created. She surely isn´t the laziest Scandi Royal, but she isn´t close to burnout syndrome either...so to say
Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Serene Highness

Lena, I see your point now.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810
Yikes a bit of a negative opinion of Sweden's royals I've been reading in these posts. Worrying about palace cooks and saying that they "do nothing". Granted I live in a republic and I'm not in the know about the daily tasks of being a royal but I seriously doubt the Swedish royals do nothing. However, I do believe that when the king is away that there are enough aides and other skilled govt. people so that pretty little Madeleine doesn't have to worry. She probably does just keep to her normal tasks when she's been left alone like this.
I find this remark rather condescending. It proves that Madeleine has her looks against her.

To my knowledge no study has ever proven that a relatively better looking blonde female has less academic capacity than a relatively ugly nerd looking person.

As I said earlier I'm pretty sure Madeleine would do the reigning part elegantly if it was required. There's more to her than meets the eye.

The cooking thing, yes Lena I changed my original Uncle Sam's noodles into Knorr soup when I thought of the diplomatic crisis last year. So far I believe this is the only diplomatic crisis that occured domesticly in only one of the countrys affected.

When Queen Margrethe of Denmark's cook quit last year it was said that one of his complaints was that he was dissatisfied with the working hours. He began his day at 1 PM which meant the Queen had to eat microwave leftovers for lunch. So the Tupperware / Knorr soup thing isn't totally out of the blue.

A matter that would need urgent attention

First of all, it can't be political since the regent in Sweden is stripped for all political duties.

So, if the head of personnel at the court quit because he / she got a better job offer from someone else it would need urgent attention from the regent present to either applause the decision or try to convince the person to stay.

Or if there suddenly was a hole in the palace roof right over the big ball room, or if the plumming system started to leak. I believe those are examples of situations that would need quite immediate response / decision making.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

But then it would still be easier for the people of the court to ring HM in Japan then to ask Madelaine werther the roof an be repaired or not IMHO, so as I said above with todays means of communication and transportation a regency each time that a monarch is out of the country seems to be more an empty (but charming) gesture/tradition then a practical thing to me.
Note the above doesn' t say anything about Madelaine's capacities, as I have all confidence in those :)

IMHO a regency has only any significance (apart from bein a charming tradition) in case of the illness of a monarch, as we saw only a few years ago in Norway when the Crownprince took over some of his fathers duties.

-
Just to make clear: I intruduced the cook in this discussion as a joke, not to start a disagreement or be condecending, I hope that is understood and that we all can keep treating the cook-discussion in the way it was intended (imagening Margrethe and Henrik eating microwave food in one of their splendid dining rooms might be helpfull here ).
Old 03-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneborn
I find this remark rather condescending. It proves that Madeleine has her looks against her.

To my knowledge no study has ever proven that a relatively better looking blonde female has less academic capacity than a relatively ugly nerd looking person.
I never said what you are implying I said. If that's what you read into my post that's not my fault that's not what is written there. I thought I was giving her a compliment not putting her down. Can we soon get back to Madeleine's current events.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Aristocracy

This might be an ignorant question but I keep reading " the palace cook". I thought Madeliene lives in an apartment with her boyfriend. does she stay in the palace when the other family members are away? I'm confused.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspate
This might be an ignorant question but I keep reading " the palace cook". I thought Madeliene lives in an apartment with her boyfriend. does she stay in the palace when the other family members are away? I'm confused.

I believe Madeleine has apartments, or rooms at Drottningholm Palace.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

are ther Laws Forbidding her to marry someone from a different Protestant Denomanation say for instance a Baptist
Old 03-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Madeleine Current Events Part 12 (March 2007 - February 2008)

Welcome to the new current events thread for Princess Madeleine! Here is a link to the old thread http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...2-a-11831.html
Please remember to follow the forum rules and guidelines http://www.theroyalforums.com/?page=rules
Have fun!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Serene Highness

Since this thread has reached 10 pages, it is time to move to a new thread. Here is the link to the new thread http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...tml#post590042
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

In the previous thread this was posted:
Quote:
I believe Madeleine has apartments, or rooms at Drottningholm Palace.
Princess Madeleine lives in a apartment at the royal mews. I dont think there are any staff there at Madeleines disposal, but perhaps she has a cleaning lady or something like that who visit once a week or so :)
Old 03-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
In the previous thread this was posted:

Princess Madeleine lives in a apartment at the royal mews. I dont think there are any staff there at Madeleines disposal, but perhaps she has a cleaning lady or something like that who visit once a week or so :)
just for clarifying, the mews are situated in central Stockholm approx. 2 km. from the Stockholm palace, whereas the reigning couple lives at the Drottningholm palace, some 15 km. west of the city.

which is why Madeleine probably is better served by the city's restaurants than the (Drottningholm) palace cook.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:21 AM

She always looks healthy.

I'm sure Madeleine dines well because she has the means to appropriate a life full of wanton helpings. One thing I'm sure royals enjoy is the nourishment that keeps them strong and thriving. Whenever I see pictures of Madeleine, I see her as being someone who doesn't suffer from malnourishment, but someone who reveals astonishing breadth of know how. To me she's a royal and a person introduced to a profundity of means and abilities. I personally like her and am intrigued by her. She's marvelous to look at and I believe, a beautiful soul. And that's my opinion as of yet.
I like the royals. They are on a stature all their own. They're interesting. Through out many periods of time they have influenced the grace of many cultures. Bye for now. :)
Old 04-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know if Madeleine is still the regent or are the king and queen back.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:04 AM
Serene Highness

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspate
Does anyone know if Madeleine is still the regent or are the king and queen back.
Madeleine isn't regent anymore. The King and Queen's state visit to Japan ended on March 30. Plus Carl Phililp has been back as well because he had an offical act on April 1. Also Victoria's study trip ended on Thursday, April 5. So all of them should be back and enjoying the Easter holiday. Although I'm assuming Victoria is feeling a little jet lagged, since her trip just ended.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow Madeleine was regent. She is very young. She is very pretty I prefer naturel make-up on her

Closed Thread

Tags
concert, princess madeleine