Princess Madeleine, Current Events Part 1: November 2002 - November 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, she looks to tanned. But maybe she feels good when she´s tanned...
many Swedes wants to be tanned during the winter to feel better

The 20-year old girl was Princess Madeleine's friend. Now, she is dead. An unfortunate boat accident on its way home from a popular spot in Stockholm's skärgård cost her her life.
Princess Madeleine was shocked when she learned of the accident said a friend to Expressen.
(Forgive me if the next part isn't exactly right, I haven't attempted writing anything remotely Swedish in..oh, 5, 6 years.)
The water police were searching by Återlögafjärden on Värmdö in Stockholm's skärgård before 4 o'clock yesterday morning.
Two different [things, i presume] went at the same time in three leisure boats.
First, two boats went away. There were 40 metres inbetween. In one of the boats sat a 20-year old girl and a 21-year old man, some thought.

Summary: five young men held onto a higher position, apparenly the boat sunk (eh?) rather quickly. Suddenly, the boat with the 20-year old boat hit her friends boat on the right.

They rung an SOS to gästhamnen by Strömma. By then the girl was already unconscious in the boat. Four nurses at the hospital tried to save her life, but they had to give up after some time. (Hmmm... :blink: something' about the 21-year old man being mistaken for purposely killing another and something about sea crime.)
The dead girl was a close friend to Princess Madeleine. They have been together for most of their lives. A few of the girl's and princess' close friends gathered in central Stockholm to mourn.

One of them rang the princess. She was shocked at news of the death. Princess Madeleine had frequented the popular spot a few times, herself.
"A lot of us go home with alcohol in our bodies. That has become a tragic lesson for many" says a friend.
THe girl lived in Ostermalm and was daughter to a director in the telecom branch. The father has even been a foreman for a company in Singapore.

:innocent: Yeeeeees.... :innocent: :blink:

Thanks alot for the translation! Does Madde go to a spa, hair, nail place, what does she get done?

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 642
Does Madde go to a spa, hair, nail place, what does she get done
I think she gets most of that done in Stockholm. But maybe she goes to a spa oonce in a while =) I know she´s been to Selma Lagerlöf Spa in Sunne once, together with her brother

time for a new thread all about madeleine

colourpress.com

Stockholm, Sweden - The 4th annual swedish sports-awards, "Idrottsgalan", in the Globen-arena in Stockholm, the world s largest spherical building.The swedish royal family, enthusiastic spectators at numerous swedish and international sportevents every year, attended this gala-evening among 5000 other VIP-guests

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
"Madeleine knäckt av hetsjakt"

the article is about the german press "haunting" Madeleine and writing false things such as that Carl Gustaf isnt really her father, Madeleine beeing guilty to her friends death and that Madeleine and prince William are a couple.
All bullsh*t ofcourse...

And now the royal court has had enough and want the german tabloids to stop making up lies and stalk the princesses. Both Madeleine and Victoria has been followed by paparazzis from german magazines this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Yennie@Aug 12th, 2003 - 1:04 pm
I dont have time to write a full translation right now,
but the article is about the german press "haunting" Madeleine and writing false things such as that Carl Gustaf isnt really her father, Madeleine beeing guilty to her friends death and that Madeleine and prince William are a couple.
All bullsh*t ofcourse...

And now the royal court has had enough and want the german tabloids to stop making up lies and stalk the princesses. Both Madeleine and Victoria has been followed by paparazzis from german magazines this summer.
they have been very though on her, just look at Ritvas page and one can see all the photomontages they have done....

Yeah, the photomontages is so horrible! I dont get the point.. everyone can see that its fake!
Just curious, is there any laws or something that could prevent this kind of jornalism in Germany? I know its not just the german mags but its mostly them right?

I´m from Germany (and new here, by the way) and I can tell you, in the German magazines it´s getting worse and worse. I´m not sure if there´s a law against it, but if the royal court wants to, they should be able to force the magazines to print counterstatements. That´s what Sabine Christiansen (German TV-woman) does all the time lately. I would prefer if the German press would print more real pictures and less text since it´s all untrue they write...

This is an old interview.. it was made in the fall of 2001 when Madeleine studied in London.
But maybe there´s someone who hasn´t read it so I´ll post it for you  ;)
Interview with Madeleine in London
Magnus Alselind, Expressen 2001.10.26
Translated by webmaster 2002.11.14

LONDON. Her best friend Louise "Lussan" Gottlieb is at the Swedish embassy together with Madeleine during the interview. Jonas Moberg, a representative for the embassy, is also present. He is there to help the princess if she has troubles answering the questions. But she is doing fine on her own. The little sister has grown up.
Madeleine is relaxed and answers the questions with a smile on her face. And except for those paparrazis, life is good for the Swedish princess. She enjoys the world metropolis together with her friends and is surprised that so few Swedish tourists recognize her.

When did you come across the thought to go abroad?
- I have always been very interested in languages and felt that I wanted to improve my English.

But that’s not the only reason you’re going to London?
- No, I like the city very much. I have been here a couple of times and I have always had a good time.

What is it that you like about London?
- It is a fun and exciting city. Things happen all the time. I enjoy myself socially and there are always things to do.

So, what do you do when you don’t study?
- There are a lot of nice restaurants, theatres and musicals.

What does a good day in London include?
- A good day… The most important thing is that I get to spend time with my friends, I really enjoy their company, no matter what we do. Then, maybe we have dinner and have a good time.

Did the fact that you older sister moved to the US and lived in New York help you take the step to go to London?
- Ehh, well, I haven’t thought of it that way. I have also always wanted to go abroad, meet other cultures and experience new things.

Has it been a big transformation?
- Yes, London is pretty different to Stockholm, so it’s exciting.

Great Britain is at war against the terrorists in Afghanistan. Have you thought about that there is a threat against for example London?
- Of course I have thought about that. I have been a little worried.

But you went anyway?
- Yes, they have estimated the safety of going here, and they told me that I’m safe.

Have you and your parents talked a lot about this?
- Mothers are always worried, so of course… they are worried at home, they are.

But they haven’t tried to make you come back home?
- No. Maybe it’s not a 100 percent safe here, but they have estimated it safe enough for me to be here.

How long will you stay in London?
- As it seems now I’ll stay until the middle of December, which is when the course is finished.

Don’t you want to stay longer?
- Yes, I’d really like to – if I’m left alone here.

What about the future. Rumour has it that you would like to be a designer?
- Yes, and that is another reason why I went here. They are very good at all sorts of design here in London.

Is that something you will go for?
- There is a big chance that I will come back here and follow that line instead.

What’s it like to be a princess by the way. Are you comfortable living with that role?
- Well, yeah… right now I’m letting myself grow into it, because it takes time to figure out what you want to engage yourself in. I think that the interest will be awoken eventually.

Do you see your future in Sweden?
- It is hard to say when you’re sitting here, but of course Sweden is my home.

What happened to the horseback riding that used to be your biggest interest?
- That took a lot of time, so during my last year in high school I didn’t have time for it. But I’m still interested in it and I still have my horse, so that is nothing that I have put aside for forever.

But girls usually think that horses are great until they discover that boys and nightlife are even funnier?
- Yes, but that’s not the case for me, I will continue riding and keep my interest, even if I won’t compete every weekend.

Have you visited an English horse farm?
- No, I haven’t had the opportunity to do that yet, but that is something that I would like to do and have planned.

Do you follow what is written about you in papers and magazines?
- It is difficult to stay updated when you live here, but my friends from Sweden often call me and say things like: "God, it says that you were out at a club until five in the morning, is that true?". And often it is not true.

What about all these princes you are paired with in foreign magazines?
- That kind of stuff is pretty nice not having to read, since it’s never true.

Have you ever been paired with a prince, read the article, and thought that he seems exciting, like crown prince Felipe of Spain for example?
- Yeah, well. Maybe he wouldn’t be so bad. Maybe that would be something. .

Attachments

• CAG3XREQ.jpg
    CAG3XREQ.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 247
The article is about that a mens magazine have used many "bikini" pictures of Madeleine in their new edition. Its a whole poster of Madeleine in bikinis and in various (not so royal!) poses. Mainly bikini pictures from the riviera...
"Madeleine does not enjoy beeing a pinup, says Elisabeth Tarras Whalberg

What did she say in the interview? What was the interview about?

Madeleine looks far more like Victoria in the pictures above than in other pictures of her.
I would love to know too, what this interview is about, or do you get this newspaper just in Hälsingland, but not in the rest of Sweden?

Its a local newspaper from Hälsingland, so unfortunatly people in other regions in Sweden don´t get the newspaper =/

Aftonbladet posted a resume of the interwiev.. maybe I can translate it later
and, btw, I dont think the interview (and the pictures) was made on August 26, I think it was made in June

Selma Lagerlöf Spa?

Okay. I'm sure there is a perfectly logical reason for this but why is a spa named after an author?

Originally posted by Yennie@Aug 28th, 2003 - 9:31 pm
Its a local newspaper from Hälsingland, so unfortunatly people in other regions in Sweden don´t get the newspaper =/

Aftonbladet posted a resume of the interwiev.. maybe I can translate it later
and, btw, I dont think the interview (and the pictures) was made on August 26, I think it was made in June
You are absolutely right about that, I coped the text to fast…

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 505
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 483
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 542
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 475
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 185
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 490
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 478
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 518
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 436
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 504
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 185
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 498
www.expressen.se

Sheis doing very well in School, top grades

Partyprinsessan har blivit pluggprinsessan

Lussan Gottlieb, mentor Lena Rameloch & Madeline.

www.expressen.se/

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 478
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 852
Does anybody know how well her best friend Louise Gottlieb (nickname Lussan) is doing at University?

What is this about a design project Princess Madeleine has been offered? Is it a "proper" full time job or a type of temporary project for an employer?

Thanks, Gita. :flower:

In the third picture down of the shoes posted by Josefine, it looks like Madeline is wearing nude-coloured stockings with her black sandals. Or am I just seeing things? :wacko: But if she is, shame on stylish Madeline!

Yes, it looks so, as if she´s wearing stockings. But this picture is about five years old. There Madeleine was a cute little chubby-faced girl, but not the Queen of style, she is today ;-)

Party princess aced her exams

Princess Madeleine of Sweden, known for her partying, reveals new talents as she aces all her art history exams.
The Swedish paper Expressen reported the news.

The princess started as an art history major at University of Stockholm this winter. At the time she told the press that she feared the exams, but she apparently had no reason to do so. The Princess received the best possible grades in all subjects and is a perfect student.
Princess Madeleine was for a long time a frequent guest at Stockholm’s most trendy clubs, but she has now left the scene and she is focusing her studies.
“This is wonderful. There are really not a lot of students who receive such grades,” said Elise Dickson, student advisor at the university, to the paper.
Madeleine’s advisor is also impressed.
“She is extremely talented in this area, and it is therefore very exciting that she is succeeding with her studies,” said Lena Ramel to the paper, and she reveals that the princess is very ambitious.

Quitting the party scene

Madeleine graduated high school with very good grades, but after this she left for London and she became known to be quite a party princess. She was for a long time a frequent guest at Stockholm’s most trendy clubs, but she has now left the scene and she is focusing her studies

@Yennie or anybody else (from sweden) who knows it
I know this a difficult question and not easy to answer. But I wonder how "difficult" are exams in art history (I guess that term in the article is wrong, isn´t she studying "art science")? I mean in my country it´s that way that there a big differences between for example "business studies", "medicine", "law" and easier studies like "social pedagogy" "sports"or "art" (my both cousins are studying art, and it doesn´t seem to be too exhausting for them. That shouldn´t be valuing.-All proffessions are important, but it´s obvious that you need for some study paths more input than for others. In Germany it´s also that way, that you can study some things like medicine just with an very good average at your final highschool-exams). I mean is "art science" in Sweden a study path where you really have to study a lot (with an average IQ) or is it more that way that you can make yourself a nice time during your studies and that you can easy pass your exams?

Originally posted by Lena@Sep 5th, 2003 - 9:44 am
@Yennie or anybody else (from sweden) who knows it
I know this a difficult question and not easy to answer. But I wonder how "difficult" are exams in art history (I guess that term in the article is wrong, isn´t she studying "art science")? I mean in my country it´s that way that there a big differences between for example "business studies", "medicine", "law" and easier studies like "social pedagogy" "sports"or "art" (my both cousins are studying art, and it doesn´t seem to be too exhausting for them. That shouldn´t be valuing.-All proffessions are important, but it´s obvious that you need for some study paths more input than for others. In Germany it´s also that way, that you can study some things like medicine just with an very good average at your final highschool-exams). I mean is "art science" in Sweden a study path where you really have to study a lot (with an average IQ) or is it more that way that you can make yourself a nice time during your studies and that you can easy pass your exams?
I was wondering exactly the same when reading the article!

Originally posted by Alexandria@Sep 4th, 2003 - 6:16 pm
In the third picture down of the shoes posted by Josefine, it looks like Madeline is wearing nude-coloured stockings with her black sandals. Or am I just seeing things? :wacko: But if she is, shame on stylish Madeline!
Oh my God! My mom does that too! :rolleyes:

This is her course description, its in Swedish maybe someone can help and do a summery in English, I have no time at the moment….

here is a link

Teaching and learning methods:
At the undergraduate level, all lectures, seminars and most of the literature are in Swedish.

The principal teaching methods are: lectures, colloquia, seminars and occasional study visits. However, the greater part of the courses consists of independent study.

Each course has a Director of Studies. Senior Lecturers and other teachers are also involved in these courses.

For information concerning names of teachers, schedules, curriculum and course literature, see the current lists, which are updated before the beginning of each semester.

Methods of assessment:
At the undergraduate level, examinations are normally written, oral or a combination of both. Sometimes attendance at seminars, lectures etc. is compulsory. Evaluation is conducted continuously during the semester, with examinations generally held at the end of each course unit. Students who are not successful in an examination are given the opportunity of a re-examination during or at the end of the semester.

In order to receive a grade for the entire course student must successfully complete each course unit.

Students intending to take a written examination should register at the Department office at least five days in advance. Registration for an oral examination should be made to the lecturer/professor personally or by telephone.

Three grades are given at the undergraduate level: Pass with Distinction (Väl godkänd /VG), Pass (Godkänd/G) and Fail (Underkänd/U).

For course units comprising of 3 ECTS credits or less, there are only two grades: Pass and Fail.

Students who have attained a passing grade in an examination cannot request re-examination in the same course unit in order to receive a higher grade.

ECTS students are free to write their papers and examinations in English, German or French, provided this has been agreed between the home and host institutions before departure. The use of dictionaries is generally not allowed during written examinations.

General description of programs at the department:
The Department offers both undergraduate studies and postgraduate studies.

Undergraduate studies:

The single subject undergraduate courses are given at four levels: Basic, Intermediate, Advanced and Specialized.The levels are further divided into three different fields of study. Each single subject course consists of several course units.

For further information concerning courses, see the course list in this database.

Regarding ECTS students:

The prerequisites for an ECTS student are at least one full academic year in Western Art History from Antiquity to Contemporaneity (lowest grade Pass). ECTS students are also expected to have a basic knowledge of Swedish and English before arrival.

ECTS students may choose course units from different courses and collect ECTS credits, provided that this has been approved by the ECTS Departmental co-ordinators of both the home and the host institutions.

Erasmus/Socrates students have the opportunity of studying a specially arranged programme lasting for one academic year. The programme consists of two parts (A + B  ) :

A. The History of Art and the Built Environment in the Nordic Countries, particularly Sweden (30 ECTS credits)

1. Course in the History of Swedish Built Environment, KV 1050, course units number 1,2 and 3 (15 ECTS credits).
2. Basic Course in the History of Art, KV 1040, course units number 2 (only the part concerning Scandinavian Art), 4, and 6 (15 ECTS credits).
The course units in course KV 1050 are given each autumn semester. The course units in course KV 1040 are given each autumn and spring semester.

B. Advanced Course KV 3040 (30 ECTS credits).

In September, the student is to choose a research area for the course paper in consultation with the ECTS Departmental co-ordinator. Following this, a member of the staff will be appointed as supervisor. The student should report at least once a month to the supervisor, but is also free to consult him/her when necessary. The greater part of the work on the paper should take place during the spring semester.

Postgraduate (doctoral) studies:

The doctoral programme leads to a Ph D. It is, however, possible to enrol for only a part of the programme, an intermediate stage, which leads to a Licentiate degree.

Admission is restricted and takes place once a year. The Erasmus/Socrates student, however, has the possibility of attending parts of the postgraduate programme without being formally admitted to the programme.

Necessary qualifications:
• A Bachelor´s degree or the equivalent from a university recognized by the Ministry of Education
• 80 Swedish credits in the History of Art including the Specialized Course, KV 5010 in the History of Art or the equivalent.

Recommended necessary qualifications:
A very good knowledge of Swedish, English, German and French. A basic knowledge of other languages may also be necessary depending on the subject of the dissertation.

The Doctoral Programme, 240 ECTS credits

Doctoral students are engaged both on research assignments and in theoretical studies in the form of seminars and/or courses. The research assignment should result in a dissertation, which will require the bulk of the student´s time.

The Ph D syllabus consists of the following:

Courses, 90 ECTS credits.
A. Theory, Methodology and Philosophy of the Human Sciences, 15 ECTS credits
B. Early and Modern Theory of Art, 15 ECTS credits. Approximately 2000 pages. Written or oral examination
C. History of Art including Nordic Art, 22.5 ECTS credits. Approximately 5000 pages. Oral examinations.
Specialized courses and excursions, 37.5 ECTS credits. The courses are examined mainly through active participation and papers.

Dissertation, 150 ECTS credits. An individual supervisor instructs the student in the thesis work. The thesis is published and publicly defended.

Seminars. The seminars deal with general subjects in the History of Art. The candidate is expected to present parts of his/her thesis work at seminars.

Opposition. Doctoral students are also expected to act as opponents, either for a student´s course paper on the Specialized Course or at a Licentiate dissertation.

The Licentiate Stage, 120 ECTS Credits

Students are engaged both on research assignments and in theoretical studies in the form of seminars and/or courses. The research assignment should result in a dissertation.

The Licentiate syllabus consists of following parts:

Courses in the doctoral degree programme: A, B, C and a specialized course, 60 ECTS credits.

Dissertation, 60 ECTS credits. An individual supervisor will instruct the student in the dissertation work. The dissertation is presented and defended at a seminar.

Seminars. Compulsory participation in at least 4 seminars each semester.

Opposition. Licentiate students are also expected to act as opponents either for a student´s course paper on the Advanced Course or the Specialized Course.

Both degrees have the following classified grades: Pass and Fail.

Thanks, Josefine...

Now I have yet another questions.
How do Madeleine´s teacher call her?! I mean, they have to talk to her! Do they say Madeleine or Mrs Bernadotte or Princess?

Originally posted by Helen88@Sep 5th, 2003 - 3:13 pm

I was wondering exactly the same when reading the article!
@ Helen
Good to know, that somebody is thinking the same ;) I felt myself a little bit "brazen" and "arrogant" with my question. If you are the Helen of Ritva´s board (and I´m quite sure you are) you have got mail of me.

@Josefine
Thanks a lot for the information!

Is it in Sweden also that way that you can read the marks of your study-exams on the internet (maybe encoded through a number instead of your name?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom