The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Nobility

Princess Lilian and male winner! 2004

www.sverigestennismuseum.com/ bilder/galleri/stockholmopen.htm

Princess Lilian and male winner 2004.
She is 89 year and beautiful!She is love old royal family.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:45 AM

Re:

In the first picture with Lilian in between two men and a trophy - she seems to have a sticking plaster on her forehead. I hope she's alright - elderly people tend to fall down or walk into things alot. She's a tough cookie though.

I was hoping that the Brits would do something for her birthday but they didn't. :(

Old 10-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Today Princess Lilian received the Voluntary Shooting Movement’s Merit Medal (The Bernadotte Medal) for her services to the voluntary shooting movement. The medal was awarded to her in Prince Bertil's Study at the Royal Palace of Stockholm by the Chairman, Henrik von Vegesack, and the Secretary General, Steve Gunnarsson. Picture from the Royal Court's website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilian.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	203361  
Old 11-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Today, Saturday 12 November, Princess Lilian traditionally opened the Christmas Bazaar in the English Anglican Church in Stockholm. She was accompanied, as usual, by her Court Marshal, Baroness Elisabeth Palmstierna.

A selection of the pictures at Imagine Scandinavia.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Christmas Bazaar 12 nov 2005_1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	212765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas Bazaar 12 nov 2005_10.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	212766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas Bazaar 12 nov 2005_3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	212768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas Bazaar 12 nov 2005_4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	212769  

Name:	Christmas Bazaar 12 nov 2005_5.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	212770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas Bazaar 12 nov 2005_6.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	212771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas Bazaar 12 nov 2005_7.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	212772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas Bazaar 12 nov 2005_8.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	212773  

Name:	Christmas Bazaar 12 nov 2005_9.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	212774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas Bazaar 12 nov 2005_11.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	212775  
Old 11-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

A while ago, Princess Lilian was a guest at the Spanish Embassy as the Spanish Ambassador to Sweden, His Excellency Ambassador Javier Garrigues, held a tapas party for his friends.

Here is a picture of Princess Lilian with the host, scanned by me from Svensk Damtidning.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Serene Highness

I love to see her -- she is so adorable!
Old 11-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Nobility

It is first photo pages Princess Lilian and baroness Elisabeth Palmstierna. Princess Lilian is young lady 90 year and Baroness Elisabeth Palmstierna is 88 year. Princess Lilian is beautiful young!
Old 11-14-2005, 06:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Here is a picture of Princess Lilian on 16 October as she awarded the trophy of the Stockholm Open ATP tournament in the Royal Tennis Hall in Stockholm. This year's winner was the sixth-seeded American James Blake.

Picture from Buzzfans.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stockholm Open 16 Oct 2005_1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	212957  
Old 11-17-2005, 06:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Lilian gave on Tuesday scholarships to young sports(wo)men out of the Prince Bertil & Princess Lilian fund.

http://www.royalcourt.se/aktuellt/ak...480003149.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lil.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	214260  
Old 11-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Summary of an Expressen article today:

When Princess Lilian returned from the Salvation Army’s Christmas concert last night, she found her house Villa Solbacken on Royal Djurgården surrounded by police and the road cut off by them too. Five police patrols including the regional police wagon was there as she arrived after nine in the evening. They searched her house and accompanied to her house. The alarm had gone off and a suspected burglary was the scenario. The alarm turned out to be false though (thank God), but the police had already searched the house when it turned out that one of Princess Lilian’s employees had triggered the alarm by mistake as she was about to go home. One error in the police operation occurred; they did not contact a special contact person to inquire on Princess Lilian’s whereabouts during the event – something that is required by their security routines.

The original & full article (in Swedish) can be found here.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
Princess Lilian gave on Tuesday scholarships to young sports(wo)men out of the Prince Bertil & Princess Lilian fund.

http://www.royalcourt.se/aktuellt/ak...480003149.html
were any other Bernadottes present at this event?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Translation of a Svenska Dagbladet article:

Photograph by Åsa Westerlund via Svenska Dagbladet

The Queen of the Nobel dresses, dresses up the Princess

LONDON. It hangs over the banister in the studio, well hidden under a white sheet. But the colour shines through, this secret nuance which no one is to know about before the Nobel festivities.
- Absolutely no pictures with the dress of this year, says Elisabeth Wondrak decisively.

We can however see when Princess Lilian today makes her last fitting before the Nobel festivities. But first it’s time for morning coffee with toast and jam.

It smells delicious from the little kitchen in the house, in the middle of London’s fashionable Mayfair neighbourhood. This is where the uncrowned Queen of the Nobel dresses receives her customers from near and far.

In the house there is a pleasant mess. The dining table if flooded with fashion magazines, letters and photographs. In the studio on the second floor, one is welcomed by green velvet armchairs, an old piano and a see of sketches, cloths, sewing thread rolls and a pincushion.

A large mirror with a golden coloured frame stands against the wall, on the wooden floor a wooden trying-on doll awaits, with Princess Lilian’s exact measurements. In the middle of it all, a white Bernina sewing machine parades.
- Here I sit and daydream, sketch and think. At the end, the Nobel dress of the year is born under my hands.

Elisabeth Wondrak cracks up in one of her mild but at the same time rogue smiles. She starts to think about the Nobel dress in April, and often sew the first stitches in August. In between that, cloth samples and sketches are sent back and forth between Stockholm and London.

- The challenge is to make a “big dress” without it demanding too much room. If you understand what I mean.

The Nobel dress should be romantic without being vulgar, elegant without being boasting, thought through without being over worked, she explains. The cloth needs to be of the highest quality.
- The Princess cannot look like a walking lamp shade.

There are a few “faux pas” that one is to avoid, she emphasizes. Black is not suitable, because all the male guests wear tails and white shirt, and the ladies should choose something different. It cannot be sexy. And large flower patterns should be avoided: “otherwise she looks like a sofa on legs”.

But spangles are something Elisabeth Wondrak likes to have on her Nobel creations. And wasp waists. But she doesn’t follow the turns of fashion: it is “Lilian’s silhouette and personality” that decides how the dress should look. Elisabeth Wondrak means that there is a typical “Lilian look”: soft, feminine elegance.

While we brace ourselves with the black morning coffee, the 78 year old Court seamstress tells “how it all began”. It was in the middle of World War II, she was twelve and the sirens went off with even intervals.
- We were forced down into the shelter all the time. I took paper, colours and brushes with me. Then I sat there and painted and dreamt about Princesses on balls.

After the war she started to attend an art school in Bromley near London – and only 21 years old she sewed her first dress. The first sewing studio was in the dining room in her parent’s home south of London. In the beginning she went home to the customers, well off Brits who could afford tailor made clothes. She didn’t like that.
- I felt like a commodity, like a travelling salesman. Sat there on a chair with my sewing box in my lap and waited until I was called into the bedroom

With time, Elisabeth Wondrak was established enough to have famous customers queuing to her own “dresshouse” near London. She had a staff with seamstresses and could concentrate on the fashion designing. Hollywood stars like Vivien Leigh were mixed with British aristocracy and multi billionaires – and then Lilian entered the picture.

The two of them met through friends 56 years ago, before Lilian had become Princess of Sweden.
- I called her “satin doll”. I sewed her first dress in February 1950, a cocktail dress for the villa in St Maxime, Elisabeth Wondrak remembers.

The gaze full of thought disappears out in the rainy weather outside the window. There she spots Princess Lilian who with enthusiastic steps is on her way to the door. In the next moment she stands on the wooden floor of the studio, flings her winter coat with fur collar off and takes on the Nobel dress.
- She is a genius! This is the best Nobel dress she has ever made, Lilian exclaims with shining eyes.

She tosses and turns in front of the mirror, pleased. The colour, shape, cloth, everything seems to be in her taste. It even seems better than last year when Lilian won the battle about the Nobel dresses in a vote. Then she wore a salmon pink creation that made others fade.
- Elisabeth could do the dress without me. She knows me outside in, and knows exactly what fits. I always follow her advice, says Lilian.

It is this sister-like relationship that makes Elisabeth Wondrak refuse almost all interviews. “most are after gossip about Lilian”, she says.

So the Nobel dress is taken off and replaced with a new party dress: a half done black velvet dress for the next party:
- I love velvet, Lilian exclaims.

These days she (Lilian) has a whole cellar vault filled with hundreds of Wondrak-creations, including the sky blue wedding dress for the wedding with Prince Bertil in 1976, and no less than 29 Nobel dresses. Also Queen Silvia had a Wondrak-designed Nobel dress in 1977.

Elisabeth Wondrak remembers some Nobel dresses more than others. Like the first, turquoise from 1976.
- There was a large strike and we were without electricity. I sat and sewed in the light of candles during the fist days. It was necessary for the dress to be finished for the Nobel banquet.

Another Nobel dress that she will never forget is the one with a gold brocade from 1997. The Nobel festivities were nearing but Elisabeth Wondrak was in Switzerland with her severely cancer sick daughter. The family was waiting for a new liver, Lilian on the Nobel dress, and it ended with Elisabeth sitting and sewing up in the Swiss Alps at her daughter’s side and finished it in two weeks. All ended well: the Princess got her new dress and the daughter a new life.

And then she of course remembers her favourites: the royal blue in taft from 1983 and the lemon yellow with lace and small crystals from 1998. And the least successful: ice blue taft from 2001.
- Lilian dresses best in deep blue, turquoise, lime, pistachio green and bone white, she settles. And no, she does not check with the rest of the Royal Family about which colours they will wear for the Nobel festivities…

It’s getting dark, Princess Lilian has hurried off to the hairdresser and Elisabeth Wondrak sews the last stitches in the Nobel dress, whose price tag will end on circa 25 000 Swedish crowns.

She takes the rolling cloth in her arms and we walk down the stairs, which is used as a practice for the City Hall’s steps where one isn’t supposed to trip on the dress. But the Court seamstress herself has never been at a Nobel banquet, despite her production of thousands of gala dresses through out the years.
- Now I will put the kettle on, she says resolutely, corrects the pearl necklace and puts on a little red on her lips.

Elisabeth Wondrak is finished with this year’s Nobel dress.
- At last I will clean off the dining table, spread the dress for one more check. Then I will press/iron it and then it can hang to get cold. Like a newly baked cookie.

She takes a sip of her hot Earl Grey tea and smiles with satisfaction. Peeks out on the streets where glittering trees shine up a dark Hyde Park. Soon it is Christmas. But first it’s the Nobel festivities.

From left to right: the wedding dress 1976, Nobel 1976, Nobel 1977, Nobel 1978, dress 1976, dress 1976, Nobel 1979, Nobel 1980.

Among the trickiest things are, tells Elisabeth, the clasps which are to keep the order ribbon in place.

The original & full article can be found here.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

She looks so fragile, yet she amazes me how she's able to travel & still perform royal duties every once in a while.
How about her daily life? does she live alone in her villa? how often does she see the swedish royal family?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

wow! great article. thanks so much taking time to translate it for all of us lonely souls who love the swedish royal family but can't speak their language!
Old 12-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_platinum
She looks so fragile, yet she amazes me how she's able to travel & still perform royal duties every once in a while.
How about her daily life? does she live alone in her villa? how often does she see the swedish royal family?
Yes, Princess Lilian is an amazing woman - carrying on with a quite full schedule in her 90th year! She's very active in the higher sphere circles as well as the British community in Stockholm, and often attends events which aren't mentioned in the official calendar (things she counts as private outings). And still she makes regular trips to London (where she stays in her apartment) to visit friends, her seamstress and things like that.

Princess Lilian lives alone at Villa Solbacken with her dog, but she has a close circle of people around her all the time - caretakers, a small household of staff, a Lady-in-Waiting and of course her Court Marshall and private friend Baroness Elisabeth Palmstierna. She has an office at the Royal Palace of Stockholm where her private and official business is tended to by a small office staff, and there she meets the rest of the Royal Family (mainly the King, Queen and Crown Princess who are the most active royals and also have offices at the palace) on a weekly basis I would say. And then there are surely private family dinners and such every once in a while, plus some of the main official engagements when the Royal Family go together. "Auntie Lilian" is an important person especially to the royal children, to whom she's been like a grandmother.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

she's an amazing woman. If you didnt know, you'd never guess she wasnt born royal.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

thanks for the explanation, GrandDuchess!
i believe i read the swedish RF have weekly dinner on sunday (on interview with victoria, i think), probably princess lilian also joined the dinner.
after prince bertil died, she's all alone but i'm glad the royal family is there for her.
she is a remarkable woman..
Old 12-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
A few days ago, Aftonbladet reported that Princess Lilian was apparently so happy and flattered by how Martin Stenmarck sang for her at Crown Princess Victoria's birthday - that she has called him personally!

Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg commented:
- I know that Princess Lilian has called him to thank for the nice attention.

Martin Stenmarck himself said on Victoria's birthday that "Lilian is the girl for me", and that he has always liked her.

The Aftonbladet article: http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/noje/s...675957,00.html
She seems to be a really nice and friendly lady. Imagine the same picture but with Mick Jagger sitting on Queen Elizabeth II's lap! It's just not the same feeling! :)
Old 01-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Aristocracy

A quote from TV4: (Daniel Nyhlen's pages) - about the royals shopping at NK:

Under förmiddagarna brukar hovets "grand old lady" prinsessan Lilian stappla omkring bland hyllorna, bland annat på damavdelningen. Där "lånar" hon ibland klänningar som tanten sen, några dagar senare, helt fräckt låter byta, lite lätt begagnade sådär. Enligt vad jag erfar lär personalen inte vara särskilt muntra över prinsessans agerande.

My translation:

During the morning the court's ''grand old lady'' princess Lady usually totters around among the shelves, also in the ladies department. She sometimes ''borrows'' gowns which the old aunt some days later shamelessly returns a little used. From what I've learned the staff aren't exactly amused by the princess' venture.

My comment:

Everyday you learn something new
Old 01-18-2006, 04:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Elisabeth Wondrak has passed away

Svenska Dagbladet today reports the Princess Lilian's long time friend and seamstress Elisabeth Wondrak has passed away. On Tuesday evening she was found dead in her Mayfair apartment. She was 78 years old.

During her lifetime, Wondrak became a well known seamstress to the rich and famous, and for the past decades she was Princess Lilian's personal seamstress and close friend. It is estimated that Wondrak has made around a hundred dresses in Lilian's closet - among them her wedding dress for the wedding with Prince Bertil in 1976.

Elisabeth Wondrak's last dress became Princess Lilian's Nobel dress for 2005.

http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/kultur/did_11570341.asp