The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Carl Philip continues his studies at Alnarp
Prinsen fortsätter på Alnarp - Sverige - Sydsvenskan
Google Translate

Old 09-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sounds like the officer at Alnarp is surprised he's still there.
I can't believe he's still in school.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Courtier

I don't see anything wrong with that. You wouldn't believe what amounts of studies I would study if I could afford them all. He can afford it so why shouldn't he learn all that what interests him. It's way better than wasting his live endless parties like a lot of sons/daughters of the high society do.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Of course nothings wrong with his attending school, but he can't do that for the rest of his life. I think he uses it as a hideaway.

I just saw Carl Philip on MSN's front page. That's very surprising considering that the only royals who make front page news most of the time in the US are the British royals. It's about bachelor princes but nonetheless I'm rather surprised.
Hot Princes! - MSN Relationships - Slideshow (Pic 2)
Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I'm sort of glad that he's still studying agriculture, it seems as though he's taking his job as owner of the farm he inherited seriously, which bodes well for the future.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia26 View Post
Interesting photo, thanks!
Thernon look at Prince like lion looking at rabbit )))

Poor intelligent boy
These bad Hollywood women have reached our boy ((((
She isn't looking at HIM. She's looking at something, but not him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rop81 View Post
But you must also think about the very different societies and different tradition of the royal families between Sweden and UK. There is not a tradition of charity in Sweden in the same way as in the UK and the US for instance - the state takes care of that part . But ofcourse he could do other things, but i don´t really mind his studying and partly designing.
Adults either do something or nothing...what is "partly designing?" He's always seemed a loafer, but as I've said earlier he did get a raw deal when equal primogeniture was adopted. I wouldn't like being the CP and then suddenly NOT being the CP. That would make me mentally ill...which just might be why he has no interest in anything.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Serene Highness

Hm, but wasn't he hardly a year old when the succession was changed?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Adults either do something or nothing...what is "partly designing?" He's always seemed a loafer, but as I've said earlier he did get a raw deal when equal primogeniture was adopted. I wouldn't like being the CP and then suddenly NOT being the CP. That would make me mentally ill...which just might be why he has no interest in anything.
Umm...he was 7 months old when the equal primogeniture was adopted. Really can't see this cause any damage to him.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Aristocracy

I could immagine that it has an effect on a person. Not the fact that the rule was changed, but the fact that every grown up around him knew. And his father did not approve, as far as I know. I think that children are very sensitive to such things "in the air".
Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Sounds like the officer at Alnarp is surprised he's still there.
I can't believe he's still in school.
Alnarp has a multi year program and he is apparently preparing for the two large estates he is going to be in charge off. He is also a very accomplished designer.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Serene Highness

That issue of succession should have been settled before any children were born.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Aristocracy

I doubt Victoria let alone Carl Philip remember the time the succession was changed. I am sure he became aware of it at some point and could have possibly harbored some resentment towards Victoria for that but come on...
Old 09-11-2010, 03:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
That issue of succession should have been settled before any children were born.
Why do you say this?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prinsen är på plats i Alnarp igen - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Google Translate
Old 09-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Serene Highness

It just seem odd to me why you would wait until CP Phillip is 7 months old to resolve the issue. I don't know what's all involved in this though. I don't know much about it.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Courtier

I don't speak swedish, so my possibilities of research on this are pretty limited. From what I understood, the reform of Act of Succession which changed agnatic primogeniture to equal primogeniture was already adopted in 1979, but become valid on 1.1.1980. That means that they for sure haven't waited until CP was 7 months old. Every law takes its time to be prepared and approved by parliament and Act of Succession is a part of Swedish Constituion, so I assume that the talks about changing it already started at latest after Victoria was born.

So it's not like they've just decided out of the blue that Victoria will become Crown Princess. The King, wheter he liked it or not, must have been aware of the change even before CP was born.

As for the influence that this had on CP. Yes, every adult around him knew. Years later also he understood, but it's not like he has been growing up like a Crown Prince and on his 18th birthday they suddenly told him: "Well, we don't need you anymore and your older sister will be Crown Princess from now on." In that case it would influence him for sure, but not when the change happend while he was a little baby. He has been growing up like "only" 2nd in line, but with the though that one day he'd have much more possibilities what to do with his life, that his older sister will ever have.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Legislation process to change the law of succession had indeed started before the birth of Carl Philip. I think that not even Queen Silvia's second pregnancy was announced yet when the bill started going through all the necessary motions. There was no probabolity that the bill would fail to pass, so it was clear to everyone since long before Carl Philip's birth that the firstborn would come to inherit the throne.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

The problem is that the succession law has to be changed by the Government and not by the royal Family. So if the Government does nothing like at the moment in Spain they can do nothing . As for Sweden As far as i know there where General-Elections in the autumn of 1979. And that new elected Parliament had to vote for the new Act of succession before it could dome in force. So there was no way to pass the law before the birth of Carl Philip.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why do you say this?
I can see what nascarlucy could mean with her statement. They could have avoided a lot of "what's" and "if's" and "CP is jealous of /angry at V, because she is CP and not he", "CP feels cheated", "CP is wasting his life because he was robbed of his rights" blablabla if the swedes would have been just a few month faster with the changes in this law.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Serene Highness

The Swedish parliament should have decided the succession issue long before any children were born. That's just my opinion, since it sounds like they were considering changes in the succession law to begin with. This is just common sense IMO. If they had a have a special session to do so, then so be it. Again this is just my opinion.

Closed Thread

Tags
carl philip, current events, prince carl philip