Press Reports about Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill: January 2011 - October 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I'd even hesitate to date my friend's ex if they broke up on GOOD terms....let alone if it was a nasty breakup.

It's just a deal breaker where I am from, a line that friends do NOT cross.

I just wouldn't. I can tell you that it's very strange when you socialize with the partner of someone you broke up with, even if it was good terms. In my case I'd broken up with someone that I was engaged to be married to (he married someone else who wasn't in the picture when we were dating). I'll never forget we were at a party and I was talking to his new wife and I happened to look over and saw him looking at me and then her. It was like he wanted to run out of the room or hide somewhere (we weren't talking about him but the look on his face suggested that he thought we were or wondered if we were talking about him). Later I had to laugh about it Even though he broke up with me, I had no bad feelings towards him but it was awkward to say the least. Seems like it always awkward even when bad feelings aren't involved.

I can't imagine though if I were a childhood friend of someone that I would date their ex-fiance who had hurt them very deeply. I would be reluctant to date anyone they had dated, even if they parted on good terms. It's still awkward especially if you travel in the same circles.

Well... The area now known as Sweden used to be inhabited by Finns and Samis long before the Swedes arrived... But since I know you Swedes have such a penchant for colonialistic boastery (much like our eastern neighbours do), I'll let it slide this time... ;)

The papers have been full of speculations and pure gossip regarding Madeleine and Chris today... I'll put the beyond all proportion interest in this down to the press needing an excuse to have photos of Madeleine published. :whistling: Most tabloids seem to be keen to present her wearing an evening gown as generous as possible, it seems... :ermm:

According to the genetics research, the first half of your first sentence has not been proved, one way or the other. It would be great to prove such a thing, one way or another, but in order of appearance of chromosomal markers, one would have to be very careful to say that the Finns or Saamis or Lapps were in Europe first. The first bodies tested from the earliest layers of Sweden are, well, R1 in marker (not the marker of the today-named Finns or Lapps). This could change at any moment, with the discovery of earlier layers, but the old idea that Finns and Hungarians were in situ earlier than Nordic people/R1a-R1b type Europeans is in doubt.

Anyway, this is pertinent only because inheritance is central to the modern notion of royalty - but there's definitely more than just genetic inheritance involved.

I'm guessing that Chris knew she was a bit special when he met her, whether or not he knew right away she was a princess. If she is as regal as she appears in her photos and interviews, I'm sure she let him know subtly and not too long into the relationship that he might be in the public eye.

Princess madeline of sweden suitors

She already has a boyfriend but I thought that she was perfect for prince William of wales
-same age
-royal
-like to ride horses
But William was taken with another and are now marrying this year.

I sincerely agree with you. I've read from many people that they would have made a great couple. It crossed my mind if by chance these allusions were a part of some rumor. Maybe I've felt William have had a fling or romance yet unheard of, but then again it could be my fantasizing imagine. Yes, now we know that William is lovingly marrying his partner for life and boy is she beautiful, yet I'll always wonder why people thought that William and Madeleine would have been a great beau. They're both very attractive. I can see as you. We will never know. In any event I hope Madeleine finds the right person. She deserves only the best from the heavens and the Earth. Cheers. :flowers:

She already has a boyfriend but I thought that she was perfect for prince William of wales
-same age
-royal
-like to ride horses
But William was taken with another and are now marrying this year.

Not sure the British people would be that keen on a foreign born royal princess with a questionable work ethic.

Agreed that both Princess Madeleine and Prince William are very attractive people and would make an attractive couple. If they had shown an interest in each other or shown interest towards each other, we probably would have heard about it at some point especially if they had gone on a couple of dates together or seen together on a couple of occasions. I've never heard of them being linked together or seen pictures of them together. I'm sure if they were, you probably would hear about it.

muriel said:
Not sure the British people would be that keen on a foreign born royal princess with a questionable work ethic.

Instead they are getting a British born, commoner with a questionable work ethic..lol (joke)

And before anyone blasts me, some people do question her work ethic....

Agreed that both Princess Madeleine and Prince William are very attractive people and would make an attractive couple. If they had shown an interest in each other or shown interest towards each other, we probably would have heard about it at some point especially if they had gone on a couple of dates together or seen together on a couple of occasions. I've never heard of them being linked together or seen pictures of them together. I'm sure if they were, you probably would hear about it.

Did they ever meet????
BYe Bine

Did they ever meet????
BYe Bine

no they never did i remember a number of years ago Princess Madeleine did an interview in which she was asked about William and all she said was he seems like a nice guy..thats about as far as it ever got

Bine221 said:
Did they ever meet????
BYe Bine

No they've never met.
PM said he seems like a nice guy "but I've never met him" is what she says.

The Prince William suggestion as a potential husband (whether or not they have met) seems pretty much useless since William is getting married in a month or so.

Much like it was in the 80's when Charles was "supposed" to marry Caroline of Monaco and Astrid of Belgium ----- it was an ideal match on paper but the truth was that the parties involved barely knew each other.

As Queen Silvia is in the US at the moment, will she use the opportunity to meet Chris?
BYe Bine

As Queen Silvia is in the US at the moment, will she use the opportunity to meet Chris?
BYe Bine

ok, in order to anser my own question (and to get some more push in this thread), RUMORS are going, that Chris has been seen leaving the appartment, where Queen Silvia stayed during the NY trip. 15 Mins later Madeleine left the same building with a broad grin on her face. So tabloids are expecting, that the meeting went well...... as mentionned, tabloid rumors....
BYe Bine

Is this a NEW man in her life? I have not been reading much about her for a while as am too excited about the MONACO Wedding!

He's been a new man for a year perhaps.

I'm not sure if this would be posted here or in a separate link.

Hypothetically, If HRH Madeleine and Chris O`neill were to marry. Would he have to relinquish his U.S. citizenship? or could he get dual-citizenship?

would the marriage even be approved by the King and Swedish Parliament?

Would Madeleine be able to keep her HRH status?

Would Chris become HRH Prince Chris ???

To your last question: I think Chris won't be HRH Prince Chris, he would get Chris O'Neill, Duke of Hälsingland, Duke of Gästrikland.

And he would probably lose the Ducal title in the case of a divorce, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Hypothetically, If HRH Madeleine and Chris O`neill were to marry. Would he have to relinquish his U.S. citizenship? or could he get dual-citizenship?
Both USA and Sweden are allowing dual citizenship, so he could keep his USA citizenship and obtain the Swedish one by wedding.

would the marriage even be approved by the King and Swedish Parliament?
I think that's a question for the King and goverment. ;) But so far his past looks really clean so there should be no big problems.

Would Madeleine be able to keep her HRH status?
That's a though one. If we look at King's sisters, they all lost their HRH by marriage, except of Birgitta who married equaly. With Victoria & Daniel the position was different. I'd assume they go with the Norwegian model and Madeleine would be only HH.

Would Chris become HRH Prince Chris ???
I don't think so. Most likely he'd be Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland. No HRH and no prince title.

I guess I can understand that level of reasoning since he is considered a foreigner.
I would still hate to see Madeleine lose any status because of it.. even if she is ok with it... it would seem like punishment just for marrying someone you love...

although just by mentioning this.. I'm sure the old story of Mrs. simpson and the abdication will inevitably come up despite the fact that this is a different situation and a different country.

I guess I can understand that level of reasoning since he is considered a foreigner.
I would still hate to see Madeleine lose any status because of it.. even if she is ok with it... it would seem like punishment just for marrying someone you love...

although just by mentioning this.. I'm sure the old story of Mrs. simpson and the abdication will inevitably come up despite the fact that this is a different situation and a different country.
I don't think it has anything to do with Chris being considered foreigner, it would be the same for a swedish guy. There were talks after the engagement with Jonas that he'd be "just" Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, though nothing was officially announced since there was no date of the wedding and we know what happend later.
I'm actually looking forward to see how they will handle this, since Sweden is the first european monarchy that will be in this position. Victoria's husband and future children are/will be styled prince/princess through her, I'm curious to see if it will be the same for Madeleine's husband and their children or if they'll simply continue with their customs and Victoria and her family are an exception due to her position.

Most likely he'd be Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland. No HRH and no prince title.

That would be my guess too. Similar to Spain, eg where Infanta Elena's husband became His Excellency The Duke of Lugo upon marriage and became Don Jaime de Marichalar again upon divorce :D

When reading Tom Clancys Patriot games were Jack is offered a knighthood for saving the Prince of Wales the question came up if he could accept that and still be US citizen.

Why do I bring this up? Well, IF Madeleine and Chris get married, can Chris be Duke of Gavleborg without give up his citizenship?

mattep74 said:
When reading Tom Clancys Patriot games were Jack is offered a knighthood for saving the Prince of Wales the question came up if he could accept that and still be US citizen.

Why do I bring this up? Well, IF Madeleine and Chris get married, can Chris be Duke of Gavleborg without give up his citizenship?

Article 1, Section 9 of the US Constitution states:
"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State."

So Chris, not being a public official, can legally hold the title of Duke. He probably wouldn't be addressed as such in the United States though. I think it's more a question if he can be a member of the Swedish Royal Family and hold dual citizenship

Article 1, Section 9 of the US
So Chris, not being a public official, can legally hold the title of Duke. He probably wouldn't be addressed as such in the United States though. I think it's more a question if he can be a member of the Swedish Royal Family and hold dual citizenship
From legal point of view he can have dual citizenship, if he obtains the swedish one by marriage. From moral point of view, I don't think it would be good idea.

Iva said:
From legal point of view he can have dual citizenship, if he obtains the swedish one by marriage. From moral point of view, I don't think it would be good idea.

In case the US and Sweden ever go to war? I'm not sure, but I read somewhere on the forums that Maxima has dual citizenship. As Madeleine is not the heir, it may actually be less of a problem.

I think the bigger issue would be the citizenship of any potential children. If they are to be in the succession, my guess is that they will have to be solely Swedish. I don't know if they would have the option of claiming US citizenship as adults as they would likely have more normal lives if Victoria or Carl Philip have children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom