The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
Did they ever meet????
BYe Bine
no they never did i remember a number of years ago Princess Madeleine did an interview in which she was asked about William and all she said was he seems like a nice guy..thats about as far as it ever got

Old 03-26-2011, 04:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221

Did they ever meet????
BYe Bine
No they've never met.
PM said he seems like a nice guy "but I've never met him" is what she says.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Administrator

The Prince William suggestion as a potential husband (whether or not they have met) seems pretty much useless since William is getting married in a month or so.

Much like it was in the 80's when Charles was "supposed" to marry Caroline of Monaco and Astrid of Belgium ----- it was an ideal match on paper but the truth was that the parties involved barely knew each other.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Madeleine met Chris´s mother in London last week:
Prinsessan Madeleine träffade Chris mamma i London häromveckan | Svensk Damtidning
Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Serene Highness

As Queen Silvia is in the US at the moment, will she use the opportunity to meet Chris?
BYe Bine
Old 04-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
As Queen Silvia is in the US at the moment, will she use the opportunity to meet Chris?
BYe Bine

ok, in order to anser my own question (and to get some more push in this thread), RUMORS are going, that Chris has been seen leaving the appartment, where Queen Silvia stayed during the NY trip. 15 Mins later Madeleine left the same building with a broad grin on her face. So tabloids are expecting, that the meeting went well...... as mentionned, tabloid rumors....
BYe Bine
Old 06-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Photos of Madeleine and Chris in New York
Madeleine og Chris går tur i New York - Billed-Bladet Danmark - Picasa-verkkoalbumit
Old 06-17-2011, 05:44 AM
Courtier

Is this a NEW man in her life? I have not been reading much about her for a while as am too excited about the MONACO Wedding!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

He's been a new man for a year perhaps.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Aristocracy

I'm not sure if this would be posted here or in a separate link.

Hypothetically, If HRH Madeleine and Chris O`neill were to marry. Would he have to relinquish his U.S. citizenship? or could he get dual-citizenship?

would the marriage even be approved by the King and Swedish Parliament?

Would Madeleine be able to keep her HRH status?

Would Chris become HRH Prince Chris ???
Old 06-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

To your last question: I think Chris won't be HRH Prince Chris, he would get Chris O'Neill, Duke of Hälsingland, Duke of Gästrikland.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Serene Highness

And he would probably lose the Ducal title in the case of a divorce, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetiger View Post
Hypothetically, If HRH Madeleine and Chris O`neill were to marry. Would he have to relinquish his U.S. citizenship? or could he get dual-citizenship?
Both USA and Sweden are allowing dual citizenship, so he could keep his USA citizenship and obtain the Swedish one by wedding.

Quote:
would the marriage even be approved by the King and Swedish Parliament?
I think that's a question for the King and goverment. But so far his past looks really clean so there should be no big problems.

Quote:
Would Madeleine be able to keep her HRH status?
That's a though one. If we look at King's sisters, they all lost their HRH by marriage, except of Birgitta who married equaly. With Victoria & Daniel the position was different. I'd assume they go with the Norwegian model and Madeleine would be only HH.

Quote:
Would Chris become HRH Prince Chris ???
I don't think so. Most likely he'd be Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland. No HRH and no prince title.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Aristocracy

I guess I can understand that level of reasoning since he is considered a foreigner.
I would still hate to see Madeleine lose any status because of it.. even if she is ok with it... it would seem like punishment just for marrying someone you love...

although just by mentioning this.. I'm sure the old story of Mrs. simpson and the abdication will inevitably come up despite the fact that this is a different situation and a different country.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I guess I can understand that level of reasoning since he is considered a foreigner.
I would still hate to see Madeleine lose any status because of it.. even if she is ok with it... it would seem like punishment just for marrying someone you love...

although just by mentioning this.. I'm sure the old story of Mrs. simpson and the abdication will inevitably come up despite the fact that this is a different situation and a different country.
I don't think it has anything to do with Chris being considered foreigner, it would be the same for a swedish guy. There were talks after the engagement with Jonas that he'd be "just" Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, though nothing was officially announced since there was no date of the wedding and we know what happend later.
I'm actually looking forward to see how they will handle this, since Sweden is the first european monarchy that will be in this position. Victoria's husband and future children are/will be styled prince/princess through her, I'm curious to see if it will be the same for Madeleine's husband and their children or if they'll simply continue with their customs and Victoria and her family are an exception due to her position.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:39 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
Most likely he'd be Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland. No HRH and no prince title.
That would be my guess too. Similar to Spain, eg where Infanta Elena's husband became His Excellency The Duke of Lugo upon marriage and became Don Jaime de Marichalar again upon divorce
Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Nobility

When reading Tom Clancys Patriot games were Jack is offered a knighthood for saving the Prince of Wales the question came up if he could accept that and still be US citizen.

Why do I bring this up? Well, IF Madeleine and Chris get married, can Chris be Duke of Gavleborg without give up his citizenship?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74
When reading Tom Clancys Patriot games were Jack is offered a knighthood for saving the Prince of Wales the question came up if he could accept that and still be US citizen.

Why do I bring this up? Well, IF Madeleine and Chris get married, can Chris be Duke of Gavleborg without give up his citizenship?
Article 1, Section 9 of the US Constitution states:
"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State."

So Chris, not being a public official, can legally hold the title of Duke. He probably wouldn't be addressed as such in the United States though. I think it's more a question if he can be a member of the Swedish Royal Family and hold dual citizenship
Old 06-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
Article 1, Section 9 of the US
So Chris, not being a public official, can legally hold the title of Duke. He probably wouldn't be addressed as such in the United States though. I think it's more a question if he can be a member of the Swedish Royal Family and hold dual citizenship
From legal point of view he can have dual citizenship, if he obtains the swedish one by marriage. From moral point of view, I don't think it would be good idea.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva
From legal point of view he can have dual citizenship, if he obtains the swedish one by marriage. From moral point of view, I don't think it would be good idea.
In case the US and Sweden ever go to war? I'm not sure, but I read somewhere on the forums that Maxima has dual citizenship. As Madeleine is not the heir, it may actually be less of a problem.

I think the bigger issue would be the citizenship of any potential children. If they are to be in the succession, my guess is that they will have to be solely Swedish. I don't know if they would have the option of claiming US citizenship as adults as they would likely have more normal lives if Victoria or Carl Philip have children.

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine