The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:24 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Jonas cheated on her while they were engaged, so it isn't too far a stretch to imagine that he might also have cheated on her had they married if the opportunity presented itself.

As far as I recall, Jonas cheated on her before the engagement and Madeleine knew about it and had forgiven Jonas. It was only after the girl started talking about it in the papers that the media pressure and possibly family pressure started mounting on Madeleine and she finally gave in, not being sure any longer Jonas could be trusted in the future.

It was BEFORE the rumours or facts of the secret wild life of the King came to light. With these facts public, the family might have reacted more tolerant.

Once bitten, twice shy. There will be no guarantee for Chris, either. Madeleine doesnt seem to be the type who will settle for "boring" men like Daniel and rather attracts the "dandy" men, more exciting = more dangerous type, like Jonas or Chris.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

DoM,I thought Madeleine found out when the news came to light in the media. I mean if she forgave him before it was found public, more than likely, she would've stood by his side. Seeing that news like this is bound to get out eventually.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have read in several swedish newspapers and magazines, that Madeleine found out that Jonas had cheated her long before they got engaged. According to those medias Madeleine forgave Jonas, but when the thing came public, Madeleine felt humiliated (and possibly the king had something to say about too) and she broke the engagement. It was also rumoured that the relationship between Madeleine and Jonas was quite bad during the last months.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow I didn't know that. My thing is, if she forgave him before it became public, then she must have been prepared just in case the info were to get out. And the way she was acting when the news came out, she seemed really hurt, missing engagements, hiding out in US, spending time with friends, etc. She wasn't acting like someone who knew about it for some time. I'm not saying she shouldn't have been acting hurt. It's hard for me to believe she knew about it for some time.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Aristocracy

well, i think one thing is to know about the cheating which is hard enough, the other is to be humiliated by it in front of everyone, being reminded constantly by the press. I remember that she stick with him for a while after tohe news break, but then the engagement was called off.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Nobility

I was under the impression that he had cheated before, and that he cheated again.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl View Post
I was under the impression that he had cheated before, and that he cheated again.
I would say that the bottom line generally believed to be the truth includes the allegation that Bergström was a repeat offender indeed.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Wow I didn't know that. My thing is, if she forgave him before it became public, then she must have been prepared just in case the info were to get out. And the way she was acting when the news came out, she seemed really hurt, missing engagements, hiding out in US, spending time with friends, etc. She wasn't acting like someone who knew about it for some time. I'm not saying she shouldn't have been acting hurt. It's hard for me to believe she knew about it for some time.
We don't know what/how much Madeleine knew about Jonas' cheating, he may have told her it was something rather harmless (flirting and kissing), but when the girl came out in the papers and told her story Madeleine could have learned that there had been more to it than what Jonas had told her.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:11 AM
Courtier

If she wants exciting men - then better beware they will stray very quickly after marriage --- it is in their nature to do so ---- they are what they are! James Bond 007 are not the marrying type!

Shame she doesn't like the reliable Daniel types!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Courtier

Rumour has it that Madeleine and Chris will come again to the Amadeus Weekend during the Salzburg Opera Festivities. The Amadeus Weekend is organized by Chris' mother Eva and is an absolute High-Society charity-event. Simply everyone who counts within the Austrian-German noble and economy circles wants to be there. Since they already were there last year I think it is highly likely they will come this year too.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Rumour has it that Madeleine and Chris will come again to the Amadeus Weekend during the Salzburg Opera Festivities. The Amadeus Weekend is organized by Chris' mother Eva and is an absolute High-Society charity-event. Simply everyone who counts within the Austrian-German noble and economy circles wants to be there. Since they already were there last year I think it is highly likely they will come this year too.
Expressen's royal reporter Johan T Lindwall spoke about this at Victoria's birthday. He was sure that Madeleine and Chris will attend the Amadeus Weekend.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen's royal reporter, Johan T Lindwall has written a book of Madeleine: "Madeleine Prinsessan privat" (Madeleine, private princess)
Google-kääntäjä

MTV3 writes about the book.
Lindwall tells about the beginning of Madeleine's and Chris' relationship: Chris and Madeleine met in the autumn 2010 in America through common friends. Chris impressed Madeleine right in the beginning. Among other things, the businessman anonymously donated about 8500 euros to Queen Silvia's Childhood organization, where Madeleine works.
After the first photos of the couple appeared in the media, king Carl Gustaf decided to act. To the king it was not enough that his daughter had fallen in love. When she was last time in love Madeleine had been hurt, Jonas Bergström had betrayed her. That's why the king wanted to make sure that his daughter was doing well in a new relationship. Lindwall reveals that the king sent SÄPO-officials to America to investigate the background of Chris O'Neill at the beginning of their relationship. SÄPO worked with FBI. In co-operation were revised if Chris has a criminal record as well as evidence of his studies, housing and the economy. Even Chris's mothers, Eva O'Neill's background was checked. Both came through the review, everything was clean.
- Chris' backgrounds were as pure as white snow. They were unable to find anything than one traffic offense and that he had never voted in elections, says Lindwall.
Yllättävä paljastus Madeleinen suhteesta: Poliisit asialla - MTV3.fi - Viihde - Uutiset

Lindwall has earlier written a similar book of Victoria: Victoria Prinsessan privat. When the book was published, Victoria told that there were many big mistakes at the book. So it seems obvious that also this book of Madeleine can have many mistakes and assumptions.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I understand the King's desire to protect Madeleine, but such extensive background check seems a bit excessive.
If I were in Chris' shoes, I'd be quite troubled by that.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Serene Highness

I'd say that really narrows the choice of men for her...not to many men are going to be willing to take all that (everything) on.

LaRae
Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

As mentioned by LadyFinn, author Lindwall is by no means a source of information you can rely on.
On the other hand (gossip about private motives aside), I don't see what should be unusual about a security services' background check of the partner of any Head of State's child and a (then) No. 3 in line to a European throne.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
As mentioned by LadyFinn, author Lindwall is by no means a source of information you can rely on.
On the other hand (gossip about private motives aside), I don't see what should be unusual about a security services' background check of the partner of any Head of State's child and a (then) No. 3 in line to a European throne.
But has the king made the same with Sofia Hellqvist?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I understand the King's desire to protect Madeleine, but such extensive background check seems a bit excessive.
If I were in Chris' shoes, I'd be quite troubled by that.
I would have thought such background checks were quite normal. I would assume most royal families would do that with anyone they were unfamiliar with who may marry into their family.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I would have thought such background checks were quite normal. I would assume most royal families would do that with anyone they were unfamiliar with who may marry into their family.
Today many employers do the same background check on prospective employees.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
given his 'dashing financier' title, and how most bankers are suspect these days, i think i'd check on him if she were my daughter too!!
"People are much like stained glass windows. When the sun is shining through them, they glow brightly and sparkle. But when the sun goes down and it is dark and gloomy outside; Their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Old 08-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
But has the king made the same with Sofia Hellqvist?
We all know by now that he has a soft spot for women taking their clothes off, so I guess he was rather delighted than suspicious

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine