Press Reports about Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill: January 2011 - October 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually an interesting idea Meraude. Is the King able to give titles apart from Duchies? I know that the Counts of Wisborg were given the title by the Grand Duke/Duchess of Luxembourg.
The king is able to give the titles prince/princess and duke/duchess to members of the SRF, at birth and at marriage. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to announce that a child would be prince/ss Bernadotte instead of prince/ss of Sweden.

Sorry, I dont see Madde & Chris walking down the aisle in the near future. I could be very wrong but even though Chris is not my type of guy, I dont think he is stupid and I think that he has understood by now what he would get himself into, in terms of media pressure, having to use acting skills in public etc (something he doesnt seem to possess when he walked next to Sofia. He wasnt playing happy Ken for the photographers).

If they get married at all, my guess is it would be on his terms, meaning he can keep his life & his job, maybe at the price of not becoming a prince but he doesnt seem to be keen on that anyway. The problem is that Madeleine loves the royal life, its where she is coming from, and I dont see her living happily without it in the long term.

Thats why I think Chris is not the guy for her.

I tend to agree with you, Duke, I think they're mismatched in that respect even if there are feelings between the two. Differences in lifestyle would be a major component of making a permanent relationship succeed, IMO, and I don't think Chris has the personality to trail after Madeleine in her royal life.

Last edited:
If they get married at all, my guess is it would be on his terms, meaning he can keep his life & his job, maybe at the price of not becoming a prince but he doesnt seem to be keen on that anyway. The problem is that Madeleine loves the royal life, its where she is coming from, and I dont see her living happily without it in the long term.

Thats why I think Chris is not the guy for her.
I also believe that this marriage would not be the best. Chris seems to be a very strong person and would want his own life and not one that would just complement his wife's royal statute. In this case, for such a marriage to be a success, Madeleine would have to be the one to change and downsize her love of the attention.

Madeline has seen the writing on the wall. With the birth of Estelle she has dropped down in succession. If CP married and has children or Victoria has more, then she will drop down further. She might as well marry for love.

I get a feeling that there are many here who seems to think that Madeleine should give up her title when she marries as she's "only" a princess while they at the same time think that it's only natural that Carl Philip keeps his title and that his spouse gets the title of princess. I wonder if people would have thought that if Carl Philip had been younger than Madeleine and thus further down in the succession that he should give up his title or if they would think that it's only natural for a male to keep his rank when he marries?

We don't know what the future will bring, if Victoria will have more children and if Carl Philip will get any children at all, so I don't see a reason for Madeleine to give up her title or the possible titles for her children.

SvenskDam writes in it's latest issue, that Chris arrived to Sweden for the christening on Monday. He and Madeleine had lunch at Riche with Ellen Dinkelspiel, Emma Pernald and some other people. After the lunch Chris had to hurry to buy himself a morning coat. And of course Chris (and Sofia) were with the family at their late dinner at the christening day at the Royal Palace.

I get a feeling that there are many here who seems to think that Madeleine should give up her title when she marries as she's "only" a princess while they at the same time think that it's only natural that Carl Philip keeps his title and that his spouse gets the title of princess. I wonder if people would have thought that if Carl Philip had been younger than Madeleine and thus further down in the succession that he should give up his title or if they would think that it's only natural for a male to keep his rank when he marries?

We don't know what the future will bring, if Victoria will have more children and if Carl Philip will get any children at all, so I don't see a reason for Madeleine to give up her title or the possible titles for her children.

I see no reason for Madeleine to give up her title, either, since she was born to it and marriage shouldn't predicate that she relinquish it. She had as much right to keep it as Carl Philip would when he gets married.

maybe engagement after victoria birthday

It would be nice and the time will show when the beautiful princess will get engaged and married.

I don't think he's the right guy for Madeleine, but I do think Chris would be a good addition to the royal family. The royal family needs someone who's going to do their own thing, someone who's not so easily swayed. Someone who won't try to blend in and change their persona just because they want to be liked, but be his own person.

I'm not explaining it right, but overall, I'd much rather the addition of Chris than Sofia.

Madeline has seen the writing on the wall. With the birth of Estelle she has dropped down in succession. If CP married and has children or Victoria has more, then she will drop down further. She might as well marry for love.

I tend to think the same. Madeleine will be less and less prominent.... yes, she will join some Royal Gatherings, wearing a tiara again and continuing being part of the Royal Families in Europe. But her duties may become less and less. So she will have "enough time in between" :whistling: to live a non-royal life in the US with Chris, where he is "the boss in the relationship". And at some occasions we will accompany her in Royal events. I think, this is a combination, which may work for both. Madde has her continouing Royal standard but much more infrequent in the future.

The Public eye will become more and more on CP Victoria and her (surely) growing family, and then Carl Philipp (incl. Sofia and future kids) will be her "replacement" in less important Royal duties.

BYe Bine

Finnish Iltasanomat has interviewed a nameless source "close to the royal court". According to the source, Madeleine wants to have a family, but she wants to be sure that Chris is the right man. They are very much in love, but Chris's past as a womanizer worries Madeleine.
- Chris has been a real womanizer and lived a wild single life in New York. Madeleine knows about this and wants to be sure that Chris is ready to settle down.
The broken engagement with Jonas Bergström has made Madeleine cautious.
Prinsessa Madeleine haluaa varmistua Chris O'Neillin olevan oikea - Ilta-Sanomat

I could not agree more - they don't seem that suited to me either.

It is the Tony Armstrong-Jones and Princess Margaret (UK) all over again. She loved her Royal Life, but Tony hated it. No surprise when the marriage finally ended in the early 70's. Their friends say the marriage ran into difficulties very quickly in 1965 - but they stayed together for appearances sake.

What about Jonas - it may have been a better marriage but I wonder if he would not have cheated on her at some point?

Victoria is very fortunate to have Daniel but is her younger sister going to be as happy with her choice?

Jonas cheated on her while they were engaged, so it isn't too far a stretch to imagine that he might also have cheated on her had they married if the opportunity presented itself.

Jonas cheated on her while they were engaged, so it isn't too far a stretch to imagine that he might also have cheated on her had they married if the opportunity presented itself.

As far as I recall, Jonas cheated on her before the engagement and Madeleine knew about it and had forgiven Jonas. It was only after the girl started talking about it in the papers that the media pressure and possibly family pressure started mounting on Madeleine and she finally gave in, not being sure any longer Jonas could be trusted in the future.

It was BEFORE the rumours or facts of the secret wild life of the King came to light. With these facts public, the family might have reacted more tolerant.

Once bitten, twice shy. There will be no guarantee for Chris, either. Madeleine doesnt seem to be the type who will settle for "boring" men like Daniel and rather attracts the "dandy" men, more exciting = more dangerous type, like Jonas or Chris.

:previous:DoM,I thought Madeleine found out when the news came to light in the media. I mean if she forgave him before it was found public, more than likely, she would've stood by his side. Seeing that news like this is bound to get out eventually.

I have read in several swedish newspapers and magazines, that Madeleine found out that Jonas had cheated her long before they got engaged. According to those medias Madeleine forgave Jonas, but when the thing came public, Madeleine felt humiliated (and possibly the king had something to say about too) and she broke the engagement. It was also rumoured that the relationship between Madeleine and Jonas was quite bad during the last months.

Wow I didn't know that. My thing is, if she forgave him before it became public, then she must have been prepared just in case the info were to get out. And the way she was acting when the news came out, she seemed really hurt, missing engagements, hiding out in US, spending time with friends, etc. She wasn't acting like someone who knew about it for some time. I'm not saying she shouldn't have been acting hurt. It's hard for me to believe she knew about it for some time.

well, i think one thing is to know about the cheating which is hard enough, the other is to be humiliated by it in front of everyone, being reminded constantly by the press. I remember that she stick with him for a while after tohe news break, but then the engagement was called off.

I was under the impression that he had cheated before, and that he cheated again.
I would say that the bottom line generally believed to be the truth includes the allegation that Bergström was a repeat offender indeed.

Wow I didn't know that. My thing is, if she forgave him before it became public, then she must have been prepared just in case the info were to get out. And the way she was acting when the news came out, she seemed really hurt, missing engagements, hiding out in US, spending time with friends, etc. She wasn't acting like someone who knew about it for some time. I'm not saying she shouldn't have been acting hurt. It's hard for me to believe she knew about it for some time.
We don't know what/how much Madeleine knew about Jonas' cheating, he may have told her it was something rather harmless (flirting and kissing), but when the girl came out in the papers and told her story Madeleine could have learned that there had been more to it than what Jonas had told her.

If she wants exciting men - then better beware they will stray very quickly after marriage --- it is in their nature to do so ---- they are what they are! James Bond 007 are not the marrying type!

Shame she doesn't like the reliable Daniel types!

Last edited:
Rumour has it that Madeleine and Chris will come again to the Amadeus Weekend during the Salzburg Opera Festivities. The Amadeus Weekend is organized by Chris' mother Eva and is an absolute High-Society charity-event. Simply everyone who counts within the Austrian-German noble and economy circles wants to be there. Since they already were there last year I think it is highly likely they will come this year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom