Press Reports about Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill: January 2011 - October 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like rugged, but I wouldn't want anyone dressed like that with stubble on his face having dinner with my mother, let alone the Queen! But that's just my personal opinion and it's how he treats Madeleine that's important.

Handsomely rugged I'd say! I suspect that if he and Madeleine ever got engaged, we would see him shaved and spruced up to the nines for a few months.

I find a three-days’-stubble entirely acceptable at such an occasion; remember that even Crown Princes have been known to sport them at official events.;)
Chris O’Neill’s bearing was restrained, cool and actually quite dignified.

Stubbles don't impress me.

Royals may get away with it, because they are royals. (Still doesn't impress me though).
However this was the first time I really took a closer look at Chris O'Neil. First impressions count. And my first impressions is that he was more interested in looking cool than in showing respect for the occasion and for the fact that the normal rules have been bend, allowing him to be there in the first place. A little humillity doesn't hurt either.

Would he show up to a presidential inauguration, in full public glare, at the White House looking like that as well?

Last edited:
No, this look doesn't cut it with me as well for a royal christening. Stubble can grow back, but the impression you leave is permanent. Maybe he feels he doesn't have to impress anyone, and that leaves a further bad feeling with me. Just my own impression, of course.

At least he didn't try to do it into an opportunity to get as much media covering as possibly, I think he would have been happy to walk into the church as quickly as possible on his own.

The interesting Thing is that apparently Chris didn't leave a Bad Impression. At least to the press whereas i have already heard several negative comments regarding Sofia's permanent grinning to the cameras on 3 different tv channels .....

No, Chris didn't seem to play to the cameras and maybe he didn't leave a bad impression for his appearance with anyone other than certain posters here, but that doesn't mean we have to agree with the press either.:flowers:

Last edited:
Chris O’Neill’s bearing was restrained, cool and actually quite dignified.

(Sofia)
Searching out every camera lens with an open-mouthed smile and stopping to pose even in church, this attitude was Miss Hellqvist’s, very visible throughout in the TV live footage as well as on pics.

Agree 100%!!! The picture says it all :whistling:
http://i.imgur.com/5qwGe.jpg

Expressen's Johan T Lindwall told to another reporter of Expressen that Sofia thought that it would have been really oldfashioned if she had had to stay in their home in Djurgården and not to attend the christening. So CP had to ask his father that Sofia would get in. And Lindwall is sure that if Chris would have today asked Madeleine's hand from the king, the king would not have said no. Lindwall says that Chris is now very popular amongst the king and the queen and he has come to the family very easily. So Lindwall thinks that it may well be that Madeleine and Chris get engaged first. Lindwall told also that Chris was talking with Gustaf Magnuson and Sofia with Josephine Genetay.

:previous: I think after Sofia begged her way in via CP, Madeleine wanted Chris to be there to show everyone how serious it is.

For some reason I cant see Chris & Madde going down the classic route soon, engagement, wedding etc, Chris doesnt strike me at all as a man who loves the limelight and fancies being on duty for Sweden, becoming a subject to gossip.
I am sure they enjoy their relationship and its good when they have a normal life in NY, but I dont see him happily turning into the royal world. He didnt look thrilled yesterday to be Sofia's walker and I dont see him making use of some acting skills, smiling no matter what, for the sake of happy pictures. Madeleine is quite different, no surprise since she was born into this, but I guess in case they get married the official side of Madeleine will always put a strain on the marriage, with Chris not really enjoying to be part, very different from Jonas who just loved it.

Chris came from a very impsortant and VIP family so he is used to have this attention, Sofia is not...Despite the pictures show of her big smile to the cameras we cannot say that she is an opportunist just because of it...

No, Chris didn't seem to play to the cameras and maybe he didn't leave a bad impression for his appearance with anyone other than certain posters here, but that doesn't mean we have to agree with the press either.:flowers:

No of course not. Nevertheless I find it highly interesting that the press - at least here in Austria and Germany - was commenting about Sofia in the same way as the grand majority of the forum members. Her constant grinning into the cameras was certainly noticed. I also think Chris didn't feel quite comfortable with all the press but he was actually quite dignified. For someway I really like him, he is certainly his own man. Although I doubt that in case of wedding between Madeleine and him he would accept a title from the king (contrary to Jonas Bergström). I presume Madeleine would give up her royal status such as the king's sisters.

Although I doubt that in case of wedding between Madeleine and him he would accept a title from the king (contrary to Jonas Bergström). I presume Madeleine would give up her royal status such as the king's sisters.
Why should she, there is no reason for her to give up her title and royal status, whether or not her husband gets a title or not. Anne, Princess Royal, has always been a royal and titled while her husbands haven't had any title. That three of the king's sisters lost their royal status when they got married depended on the fact that they were not in the line of succession, Madeleine is (and presumably her children will be too) and will be whether she has a royal title or not.

Expressen's Johan T Lindwall told to another reporter of Expressen that Sofia thought that it would have been really oldfashioned if she had had to stay in their home in Djurgården and not to attend the christening. So CP had to ask his father that Sofia would get in. And Lindwall is sure that if Chris would have today asked Madeleine's hand from the king, the king would not have said no. Lindwall says that Chris is now very popular amongst the king and the queen and he has come to the family very easily. So Lindwall thinks that it may well be that Madeleine and Chris get engaged first. Lindwall told also that Chris was talking with Gustaf Magnuson and Sofia with Josephine Genetay.

:previous: I think after Sofia begged her way in via CP, Madeleine wanted Chris to be there to show everyone how serious it is.

Some someone told that a reporter told another reporter that Sofia told CP this so he had to do that and almost everyone believes this is definitely fact. This is so idiotic I can't even do more than this: :bang: :bang: :bang:

My opinion of yesterday is that Chris was there to support Madeleine. I think he did just that and conducted himself well. He was not seeking attention, he was just simply there supporting her and her family. Very admirable in my opinion. Way to go Chris! These opinions do not extend to some of the other guests.

I have to admit, before the christening I had a somewhat negative opinion of Chris. For no particular reason, really.
However, I've now changed my opinion; he did appear to be there to support the woman he loves, and he doesn't seem to be the type who courts the press (rather like Daniel and Emma, and unlike Sofia). He is probably the archetype of a strong man I've always though Madeleine needs in her life.

I also liked him...but can someone tell me if there are any negative reports in Sweden about Sofia?

Johan T Lindwall has written in Expressen about a jealousy drama at the Christening. Madeleine was disctracted about Sofia's behaviour at the arrival to the church. Sofia grabbed Chris's arm and they walked the whole way into the church arm in arm. Finnish MTV3 quotes the story. Sofia stumbled at the stairs and took hold on Chris even harder. Madeleine and Sofia haven't had a very good relationship this far.
Hovitoimittaja: Sofia ja Chris aiheuttivat mustasukkaisuusdraaman ristiäisissä - MTV3.fi - Viihde - Uutiset

The christening didn't change my opinion of Chris, he looks grimy, rugged and arrogant.

Johan T Lindwall has written in Expressen about a jealousy drama at the Christening
Johan T. Lindwall needs a long (preferrably very long...) vacation ASAP.

Johan T. Lindwall needs a long (preferrably very long...) vacation ASAP.

Yes, but if Sofia and Chris weren't invited, we wouldn't have had these stupid stories shadowing the historical event.

The christening didn't change my opinion of Chris, he looks grimy, rugged and arrogant.

I know looks aren't everything but I find him actively unattractive. There's something else that bothers me about him but I can't put my finger on it. I think this relationship will go the way of the last one.

Hmm...Princess Madeleine, Mrs. O'Neill. Yeah, I don't see that happening.

That three of the king's sisters lost their royal status when they got married depended on the fact that they were not in the line of succession, Madeleine is (and presumably her children will be too) and will be whether she has a royal title or not.

It is just my personal opinion that it is highly likely Madeleine will give up her royal status, I didn't say she has to. I never said she will be excluded from the line of succession and/or her children. We will see what the future brings.

I'm not sure if I think Chris would be great husband material for Maddy, but I do have the impression from what I've seen, that he's not an attention seeker or gold digger, and no matter what else one thinks of him, those two things are a positive. Although I would wager that since Chris does not smile brightly for the cameras, that his sometimes rather taciturn face has contributed to some dislike and comments of "creepiness".

As far as looks go, he may not be a hunk, but beard stubble is not the faux pas it was decades ago. Some people like the pretty boy smooth look, and some like the unshaven "rugged" look for their men, so that's really just a matter of taste in my opinion. I don't even think it's especially indicative of personality or psyche. Actually, I'd wager Chris wears the stubble because he has a rather "full" face and the stubble makes it appear less "full".

Do I wish he'd smile for the camera? Maybe just once it would be nice, but I much prefer the way he is to Sofia's literal performances in front of the cameras.

Last edited:
thikon2, I share your impression of Chris O'Neill from the christening as well as the conclusions you're drawing - quite perfectly worded.

It is just my personal opinion that it is highly likely Madeleine will give up her royal status, I didn't say she has to. I never said she will be excluded from the line of succession and/or her children. We will see what the future brings.
I don't think the choice is entirely hers to make, it's the king who decides what status members of the royal family will have and as Madeleine was to keep her royal status if she was to marry Jonas, why would she have changed her mind now? If she plans to continue working for the World Childhood Fundation in the future, a HRH title will be seen as an advantage for her to get more media attention for her work and eventual other charities she is/will be supporting.

As I said we will say what the future brings. Still I don't think Chris will accept the title of Duke if he really marries Madeleine. That is the main reason why I find it highly likely that Madeleine could give up her royal status. But that is just speculation on my part :)

Wouldn't Chris have to relinquish his U.S. citizenship to take a title? I know the American actress Jamie Lee Curtis' husband, Christopher Guest, is a British baron so she is a baroness by marriage but not in her own right. I know that the U.S. Constitution prevents members of the government from accepting titles, but I don't know what the law is regarding regular citizens.

Last edited:
I know that the U.S. Constitution prevents members of the government from accepting titles, but I don't know what the law is regarding regular citizens.

As far as I can remember from school (I'm amazed I remember anything) titles are not recognized in America. A citizen can hold an "honorary" title but it carries no "status". The founding fathers wanted no class distinctions in the new republic.

When I became an American citizen my application paperwork said I would have to relinquish any titles I had.

As far as I can remember from school (I'm amazed I remember anything) titles are not recognized in America. A citizen can hold an "honorary" title but it carries no "status". The founding fathers wanted no class distinctions in the new republic.

According to Titles of Nobility Amendment proposed in 1810 (the so-called missing 13th Amendment), "If any citizen of the United States shall accept, claim, receive or retain, any title of nobility or honour, or shall, without the consent of Congress, accept and retain any present, pension, office or emolument of any kind whatever, from any emperor, king, prince or foreign power, such person shall cease to be a citizen of the United States, and shall be incapable of holding any office of trust or profit under them, or either of them."
It should be noted, however, that the validity of this amendment's ratification is doubted and has not been upheld by any court within the United States.

A provision in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 8 of the US Constitution - Title of Nobility Clause - states: "No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom